Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Are those type of campers actually livable full time compared to a proper house, if you had no other choice?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Congrats dude!
View Quote

Thanks, you used post 61000.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:08:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice!  Ours is a lot smaller, we have owned it for seven years, pulled it out to the desert southwest twice and use the hell out of it.  This summer our destination is Colorado and Wyoming.  Have fun OP!
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:19:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to my trailer trash world

Laredo are well appointed rigs.

You will want a second battery on board. It is very simple to add one. If your place 'up north' doesn't have power hook up, I also suggest 200 watts of solar. Also very very easy to add. Alternatively, 2000 watt generator will do just fine.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:20:47 PM EDT
[#5]
If you are going to use it a lot at our place in the woods. I would recommend building a cover to park it under.  It will make your trailer last a lot longer.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:21:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Nice rig! Congrats OP!
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Very nice, congrats!

My wife is giving hints about wanting a camper trailer...
View Quote

Resist !!

kwg
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Are those type of campers actually livable full time compared to a proper house, if you had no other choice?
View Quote

We would have 2 adults, two kids and two dogs. I wonder how bad the condensation could get. But you can stay warm in the winter.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you are going to use it a lot at our place in the woods. I would recommend building a cover to park it under.  It will make your trailer last a lot longer.
View Quote

I told my wife we should do something of that sort when we were first thinking of this. This less water that hits it the less chance of leaks.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Nice OP! IF you're going to leave it parked in the "woods" mice WILL destroy it in just a short period of time. Get that problem solved ASAP  with rat killer on top of the tires. That's how nice get in. When they find lunch on top of the tire they eat it INSTEAD of your wiring. Next thing is to throw the tires away and put G or H rated tires on it. Thank me later.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Welcome to my trailer trash world

Laredo are well appointed rigs.

You will want a second battery on board. It is very simple to add one. If your place 'up north' doesn't have power hook up, I also suggest 200 watts of solar. Also very very easy to add. Alternatively, 2000 watt generator will do just fine.
View Quote

@SouthHoof
You live in one full time ? Get ready because I might have 87 questions for you .
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
It's like a small hotel room

View Quote

Pretty much, if you flip all the beds out you can sleep 10 people. But arfcom people you could probably only sleep 4.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I’d go camping with ya.  I couldn’t afford one of those, but can bring ??  ?? and cans of peas.  And skoal bandits.
View Quote

We will grab ya on the way.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:05:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Have a certified inspector look at all the exterior seals, especially if new.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:13:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Very nice
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Congrats man!  That’s 99.87% identical to mine.  Flooring style & the fridge/sink are flipped in the outdoor kitchen; otherwise they’re identical.

My only gripe is the bathroom doesn’t have an HVAC duct so the shitter seat can get a tad cold during winter!

Great floor plan especially if you have kids.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:21:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.  Most don't have washer/dryer, so you'll need to hit the laundromat.  I lived in a 19' B for years.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:27:06 PM EDT
[#18]
If your plan is to mainly leave it on your property you really should park it under a metal carport or pole barn of some sort to protect the roof from the elements.

ETA posted before reading pg 2
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:29:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Nice rig!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:32:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Congratulations
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:33:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Congrats, OP! Looks really nice.

The smartest thing you did is, you bought an RV with 2 exit doors. I'm really anal about having 2 doors as I watched an RV burn up in an RV park I was staying in...and the couple that owned it - didn't make it out.

They were old and couldn't get the escape window open, let alone crawl through it. Horrible night.

If you've never seen how quickly an RV burns to the frame, you really don't want to. Waking up in the middle of the night and having a major inferno between you and the only exit door would be a bummer. That RV was pretty much burned to the frame before the fire trucks even got there.

Be sure you upgrade the fire-extinguishers in it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:35:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Congrats to you!

One day I’m going to do this and disappear for about a year.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:36:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The interior looks so old fashioned that you would think it is 20 years old but the exterior pictures look like it is brand new. What is it?
I never understood why they make RVs and travel trailers look like you are visiting grandma's house.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 11:55:15 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Was looking into going full time, so far lacking the balls.  Did a lot of research.  If you go to Texas, their camping cost are about the lowest in the country.
View Quote

Yep, I bought a 22’ Jayco last year. $25 to $40 a night with full hookups most everywhere. The trick is pre planning and getting a reservation at a good spot. When the kids are out of school, good luck in Texas/Oklahoma. Now it’s time to get a couple Honda eu2200i gensets. Congratulations OP. Looks awsome!
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 12:37:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are a lot of guys who collect per diem and live out of those things while working for years.

My uncle lives in his for a few months every year down in TX and LA because he hates Michigan winters.

Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:40:23 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

@SouthHoof
You live in one full time ? Get ready because I might have 87 questions for you .
View Quote
@Swampgrass we are not full timers. After we retired we were 3-5 months away from homebase south of Midland.  We have 'camped' in 90 heat and -5 cold. We have owned 5 different truck campers & 6 different trailers. Currently we have a 10.6e Bigfoot truck camper and an XLR toy hauler.

In fact I am typing this from the table in the Bigfoot in sunny warm Florida.

Chk pm for additional info, we are glad to share knowledge and experience.
Link Posted: 4/22/2021 10:52:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
If your plan is to mainly leave it on your property you really should park it under a metal carport or pole barn of some sort to protect the roof from the elements.

ETA posted before reading pg 2
View Quote

This.  Just make sure you have adequate space between the RV roof and the carport roof... mainly to not trap heat (or create an attractive hiding place for critters).  You want to allow for some airflow there.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:48:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 6:56:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Looks awesome!

I hope you like to fix stuff!  I bought something similar 5 years ago, and I've had the pleasure of spending an amazing amount of time fixing stuff!!!  
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 7:01:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I’d go camping with ya.  I couldn’t afford one of those, but can bring ??  ?? and cans of peas.  And skoal bandits.

Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:19:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Be careful about saying,"It's home."
Link Posted: 4/26/2021 8:51:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Looks awesome!

I hope you like to fix stuff!  I bought something similar 5 years ago, and I've had the pleasure of spending an amazing amount of time fixing stuff!!!  
View Quote

Bedroom door popped of the track on the ride  over, had to fix that already.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Bedroom door popped of the track on the ride  over, had to fix that already.
View Quote

I have one rule -> if I fix it, I fix it once and for all.

The dinette caved in last summer when it was broken down into a bed.  I replaced the nearly non-existent supports with sturdy wood and screws.  It will not cave in again.

Had to do the same with the master bed.

Make sure you double-check the roof for touch up sealing constantly.  I put $6K into a new roof last year because I failed to check the AC seal and the plywood started rotting out.  trailer is only 5 years old.

If I had to start over again, I'd do 2 things:

1. Have the outside professionally sealed.  I don't know what this is called?  But I've seen it other people's RV's and it keeps the finish for a LONG time.  It's not cheap.
2. Have the roof done immediately with either everbond tape or just a full-on spray-on roof like this one (which is what I have now): https://rvroof.com/

If you are one of those guys who sells every 3-5 years, no big deal.  If you are keeping it for the long run, the above 2 items are a must-have in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Can you just spray the top of these with bed liner to seal? Or too much expansion etc between materials?
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:54:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Can you just spray the top of these with bed liner to seal? Or too much expansion etc between materials?
View Quote

My understanding is that bedliner is not flexible enough.

You can buy a similar product which you pour and roll on the roof without hiring someone to professionally spray it.  There's also a company somewhere that advertises they will apply a similar roof and even come out to your campsite or house to install it on-site.

My problem with these other products is that they don't remove anything on the roof prior to applying, they just roll over the old weathered (and cracked?) fixtures and on top of all the old sealant.  This seems like a bad idea to me.

The FlexArmor I got installed - you have to take it to the shop to get it done (I had to drive my trailer about 4 hours down the road to do it), but they remove all your fixtures, get rid of all the old sealant, fix anything that needs fixing (i.e. plywood or structure issues) then put on all new fixtures and spray on the roofing.

It's a very nice finish.

The downside to this is that if there is ever an issue on the roof and a fixture needs replacing, you have to take it back to their facility so they can re-apply the spray coating, otherwise your warranty is voided.

But it's much cheaper than the crappy rubber roofs the dealer will re-apply for you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 4:56:25 PM EDT
[#36]
With what houses are selling for right now I would very seriously consider selling my house to clear a large cash sum and live in my camper until the bubble pops............... but campers aren’t fun at -50.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:11:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
With what houses are selling for right now I would very seriously consider selling my house to clear a large cash sum and live in my camper until the bubble pops............... but campers aren’t fun at -50.
View Quote

Summer in Alaska, winter in Texas.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:24:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Congrats.   Bought our first camper about 14 years ago and while not a wise financial choice by any stretch I don't see us being without one until we are too old to manage it.  

The best thing, for me, was that when you aren't home you can't be doing the things that need doing at home.  

Plus, we've made lots of friends and tons of super nice people during our time camping.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:25:55 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth.   Also, now would be a good time to eternabond all of the roof seams if that wasn't done.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 5:32:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 8:58:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

You can buy a similar product which you pour and roll on the roof without hiring someone to professionally spray it.  There's also a company somewhere that advertises they will apply a similar roof and even come out to your campsite or house to install it on-site.

My problem with these other products is that they don't remove anything on the roof prior to applying, they just roll over the old weathered (and cracked?) fixtures and on top of all the old sealant.  This seems like a bad idea to me.

The FlexArmor I got installed - you have to take it to the shop to get it done (I had to drive my trailer about 4 hours down the road to do it), but they remove all your fixtures, get rid of all the old sealant, fix anything that needs fixing (i.e. plywood or structure issues) then put on all new fixtures and spray on the roofing.

It's a very nice finish.

The downside to this is that if there is ever an issue on the roof and a fixture needs replacing, you have to take it back to their facility so they can re-apply the spray coating, otherwise your warranty is voided.

But it's much cheaper than the crappy rubber roofs the dealer will re-apply for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a very nice finish.

This is a good time to pass forward some info, which I think I got here:  Gaco 2000.     It’s an amazing product.  It’s pure Silicon (like the white caulking) with the consistency of heavy syrup. You just roll it on.  It sticks great, and is flexible waterproof and sun resistant. 30 year+.   It’s truly amazing stuff.   I’ve used it on Aluminum roofs, rather than RV’s, but I can’t imagine it not working.  Worth a google anyway.
Link Posted: 4/27/2021 10:35:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I know of one township in northern Michigan that has banned RV roof-overs and storage buildings on recreational land.
Link Posted: 4/30/2021 5:49:40 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The interior looks so old fashioned that you would think it is 20 years old but the exterior pictures look like it is brand new. What is it?
I never understood why they make RVs and travel trailers look like you are visiting grandma's house.
View Quote

Target market is mostly retirees/ nearly retired?
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 8:14:27 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm 42, my BIL/SIL are all around the same age we all have RVs. Most people I see with them appear to be mid 40s.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 12:57:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It's a very nice finish.

View Quote
There are several companies that make elastomeric sealers for RV roofs that can be applied with a sprayer and/or a roller. They also sell seam tape to seal all joints and seams before applying the topcoat.
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:02:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:12:56 AM EDT
[#47]
wow!
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:19:39 AM EDT
[#48]
Montana plates?
Link Posted: 5/2/2021 1:20:59 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I'm 42, my BIL/SIL are all around the same age we all have RVs. Most people I see with them appear to be mid 40s.
View Quote

Visit the Spring Grand trap shoot down in Tucson.
Link Posted: 5/3/2021 2:38:49 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Montana plates?
View Quote

Where are you seeing a montana plate ?
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top