Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 6/28/2024 7:00:07 PM EDT
I finally have time and money and ordered my first set up. Hoping in a couple weeks to start enjoying the lakes of central Texas with the eventual goal of diving flower gardens off the coast next year. Certified in 2004 but I feel like I need the practice before tackling something like that. Meantime I’m north of Austin and will get to experience the scuba parks in central Texas area and lake Travis.
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 7:10:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, what did you get?
Link Posted: 6/28/2024 11:07:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 440roadrunner] [#2]
What in hell is a "regulator set up"

DIY   CO2  carbonator?

Tig welder   / heliarc?

You are on  full time  O2?

You are going to administer  laughing gas  to  anyone who comes over?

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 3:03:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PresidentJ] [#3]
Nothing special. Aqualung legend MBS and a 3 gage console, steel Faber 100 tank, generic back inflate aqualung bc cause the local shops weren’t stocking the zeagle rangers.

Just my entry into this. Strictly recreation depth but I wanted something decent quality and resistant to the less than optimal lakes around here. Ultimate goal is to get some experience with this equipment and do some off shore dives like the flower gardens in a year.
My experience to this point has been fairly tame carribean resort dives and crystal river.

Just me excited about really getting into  diving and my wife tired of hearing about it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 1:01:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By PresidentJ:
Nothing special. Aqualung legend MBS and a 3 gage console, steel Faber 100 tank, generic back inflate aqualung bc cause the local shops weren’t stocking the zeagle rangers.

Just my entry into this. Strictly recreation depth but I wanted something decent quality and resistant to the less than optimal lakes around here. Ultimate goal is to get some experience with this equipment and do some off shore dives like the flower gardens in a year.
My experience to this point has been fairly tame carribean resort dives and crystal river.

Just me excited about really getting into  diving and my wife tired of hearing about it.
View Quote

You only bought ONE tank? Why not two?

Those are good regs.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 2:38:15 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Good for you, scuba diving is a great sport. Always use care, stay in the present moment and think about what you are doing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 6:53:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PresidentJ] [#6]
Originally Posted By Marie:

You only bought ONE tank? Why not two?

Those are good regs.
View Quote

I wanted to get a good idea on the steel 100 if that is truly the tank I like vs going bigger. A second tank is on my agenda but I can wait a little bit longer for it.  I’m sure a larger tank would be no problem but I was going to do a lot of shore diving. Thank you on the compliment about the regulators. I wanted a sealed diaphragm style one and they looked good, style was nice, and breathing was easy.  Wasn’t a fan of the scuba pro rentals I had tried a few weeks ago, but probably just mouth piece related.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 8:30:17 PM EDT
[#7]

I wanted to get a good idea on the steel 100 if that is truly the tank I like vs going bigger. A second tank is on my agenda but I can wait a little bit longer for it.  I’m sure a larger tank would be no problem but I was going to do a lot of shore diving. Thank you on the compliment about the regulators. I wanted a sealed diaphragm style one and they looked good, style was nice, and breathing was easy.  Wasn’t a fan of the scuba pro rentals I had tried a few weeks ago, but probably just mouth piece related.
View Quote

An Aqualung Legend set were my first regs in 2016 when I started diving.
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#8]
I want to hear more about these 'dive parks'

That actually sounds kinda cool!
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 10:35:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By high_order1:
I want to hear more about these 'dive parks'

That actually sounds kinda cool!
View Quote

There are 3 dive parks within a 3 ish hour drive from me.

The lakes are intended for scuba diving with onsite dive shop and air refills. No boats on the lakes. They have tons of purposefully sunk stuff like boats, planes, tunnels if you wanted to make wreck penetration etc.  windy point is not a dive park but also has underwater objects to check out.

https://athensscubapark.com
https://www.bluelagoonscuba.net
https://divemammoth.com
Link Posted: 7/1/2024 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#10]

There are 3 dive parks within a 3 ish hour drive from me.

The lakes are intended for scuba diving with onsite dive shop and air refills. No boats on the lakes. They have tons of purposefully sunk stuff like boats, planes, tunnels if you wanted to make wreck penetration etc.  windy point is not a dive park but also has underwater objects to check out.

https://athensscubapark.com
https://www.bluelagoonscuba.net
https://divemammoth.com
View Quote
That's cool as shit! Thank you!

I have something to research now
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top