Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 5/3/2024 10:06:00 AM EDT
On his bike.  Had the green to turn left.  Guy ran his red light and killed my boy.

Please ride safe.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:07:51 AM EDT
[#1]
our condolences for your loss
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:08:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Damn. Sorry brother. How old was he and any family? I won’t ride personally as my brother was hit and killed on his Harley years ago.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:08:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Sad Sprry for your loss and RIP to your friend.  

I've been riding my whole life, and this exact scenario is probably the biggest killer of motorcyclists. I honestly don't begin to move until all the traffic on the opposing direction is completely stopped.

I've had two friends die exactly like this. Sad.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:09:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Someone died just down the street from my office this morning.  Someone pulled out into a 5 lane Parkway right in front of him.  I miss not being able to ride, but stories like this make being a cager not so bad.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:09:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear about your friend.

Situational awareness is a full-time job on a bike.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#6]
I NEVER trust lights.  I have a habit of assuming that no one else is going to follow them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:09:15 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry to  hear that, sorry for your loss...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:09:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Curmudgeon762:
Damn. Sorry brother. How old was he and any family? I won’t ride personally as my brother was hit and killed on his Harley years ago.

View Quote

42, no family.  

A good dude.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:10:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Thank you all for your condolences.  100% situational awareness is required, especially on two wheels.

What a gut punch.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:10:37 AM EDT
[#11]
  Sorry man...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:10:57 AM EDT
[#12]
Sad .  RIP
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#13]

sorry for your loss.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:11:41 AM EDT
[#14]
my daughter wants to get into motorcycles and I am just EXTREMELY reluctant to encourage that.
sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#15]
So sorry, brother. Prayers for his family.

Hopefully the driver is held accountable and not just slapped with a traffic citation.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:12:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By JamiesGotAGun:

View Quote
I call it playing the “how is this guy going to try to kill me” game.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By FivespeedF150:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By FivespeedF150:
Originally Posted By JamiesGotAGun:

We must assume everyone is trying to kill us.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:13:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Greenhorn:
I NEVER trust lights.  I have a habit of assuming that no one else is going to follow them.
View Quote

Wise.

I collected a drunk illegal alien at a light one night.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:13:33 AM EDT
[#19]
My condolences.  

I lost my cousin to a bike accident where someone pulled out in front of them about 20 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#20]
After a lifetime of motorcycling, I gave it up due to all the distracted drivers.  I got tired of playing death chess.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By DarkStar:

After a lifetime of motorcycling, I gave it up due to all the distracted drivers.  I got tired of playing death chess.

View Quote

I’m not there yet personally, but I get it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:14:36 AM EDT
[#22]
smile_angry.gif" />
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:14:44 AM EDT
[#23]
You have my condolences.

Been riding for many years and that is my nightmare scenario.
Stay vigilant, everyone.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:14:57 AM EDT
[#24]
Very sorry to hear about your friend.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Sorry for your loss.
I was hit the same way years ago. I had the green arrow to turn and a guy T-boned me. I was lucky to jump on to his hood and roll over his car.
$5,000 damages to my V-Max and a cut elbow. I was lucky.

I gave up riding about three years ago because of cell phone drivers.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:15:24 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#26]
Double Post
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:16:21 AM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

A good friend did the same. He said the close calls we’re getting more dangerous and increasing in frequency. He gave it up and sold all his bikes.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:16:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Not in any way diminishing this tragic loss....

One of the biggest killers of motorcyclists is as follows:  biker comes into corner too hot.  Entry speed exceeds bikers skill.  Biker runs wide off road or into incoming lane.

Accidents at intersection are very common and another big killer.  Oddly enough, the Virginia Tech study shows the MOST common ( but often not fatal) is biker runs into back end of the stopped car ahead.  Again, biker speed exceeded bikers skill.

The car that fails to see the biker, and violates biker right of way is common.  Unfortunately, the usual 'biker black uniform' does not help.  Biker choice in riding gear, lack of helmet, etc takes risky situation and makes it worse .  

I just got off my bike.  Bike has conspicuity lighting on front to increase visibility AND I just unzipped the high visibility traffic safety yellow/green vest... Both are in use to prevent or at least reduce the risk of the accident that was described by OP

It's a free country.  We get to choose how fast we ride.  We get to choose whether or not we ride motorcycles, wear gear, and what color that gear is.  And as always, every decision has a consequence/ reward.

Frozenny
MSF Rider Coach
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:17:31 AM EDT
[#29]
Riding a motorcycle makes one a MUCH better driver and teaches them to learn how to read and anticipate other drivers (it's a full time job and not fun).  Intersections are the MOST dangerous encounter for bikers so I was always extremely careful.... Until one time and I'm no longer a biker but still feel it every day.

My wife (now ex) pulled right in front of me one time but thankfully I know she's a horrible driver and wouldn't see me so I stopped in the middle of the road.  So when she got home, I told her what she did.  And she blamed me...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:18:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Greenhorn:
View Quote

It's almost rare to not see a car, or two or three, run a red light here.

Sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:18:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: killstick_engaged] [#31]
sorry bro.

sold my bike after a near miss, i was almost made into road paste. realized i can be the safest rider ever but i cant account for what some other dumb fuck does, and the world is full of dumb fucks getting dumber by the second. when you're on a bike and look around and see 95% of car drivers on their phones 24/7, well its a sobering moment.

i miss it sometimes, will eventually get a dirt bike and stay off road so that the only things i have to worry about is gravity and my own stupidity, two things i can reasonably account for.

again, sorry for your loss.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:19:17 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:19:21 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:19:24 AM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

Distracted driving has surpassed drunk driving by miles.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:20:03 AM EDT
[#35]
I miss my bike sometimes.  Sold it.  Way too many idiots, drunks, and distracted drivers.  The penalty for vehicular homicide is way, way too weak.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:20:47 AM EDT
[#36]
I sold my bikes when I moved and I keep thinking about picking another one up and then I hear these types of stories and don't.

Very sorry for your loss.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:21:28 AM EDT
[#37]
It’s bike week here in the panhandle.  They do it twice a year. I think there are usually at least two deaths during the week.

I’ve also noticed people running the shit out of lights in the last month or so.  It’s insanity

Sorry for your loss OP
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:21:33 AM EDT
[#38]
I've known a few people over the years die on motorcycles. The one that stuck with me the most was our Art Teacher in middle school was an avid rider and had a gorgeous Harley Goldwing he rode to school every day. I wanted to have a bike just like his when I grew up. Then one Monday we came to school and his Harley wasn't there. We were told he was killed over the weekend. I guess I decided that I would never ride a bike when that happened. It really is a shame because he was one of the teachers that we all liked back then.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:22:54 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By 80085:

A good friend did the same. He said the close calls we’re getting more dangerous and increasing in frequency. He gave it up and sold all his bikes.
View Quote

I rode over 100k miles in rush hour DFW traffic for years and each day avoided death situations  (the vast majority of bikers would never ride in that traffic).  I took the position that EVERYONE was out on the road to kill me which kept me alive.  Even had a cop (from my city) illegally cross into an HOV lane without knowing I was coming up on him but I anticipated so stopped before I ran into his back.  I contacted the agency when I got home and they gave me the runaround and refused to say what their response was.  I kept pressing and the chief finally gave me a very fake apology.  Such hypocrisy of FMPD.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:23:34 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By M1Zeppelin:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M1Zeppelin:

Someday soon, self driving cars are going to make motorcycling (and driving) great again for those who actually want to be on the road.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:24:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Sincerest condolences- It sucks.

Some of the best riding advice I was ever given-
Put yourself in a bubble and never let anybody enter it.
Always ride on the left side of the lane.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:27:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:
I miss my bike sometimes.  Sold it.  Way too many idiots, drunks, and distracted drivers.  The penalty for vehicular homicide is way, way too weak.
View Quote

This.

I got really close to buying a bike recently but I keep feeling like I'm gonna regret it.

I might just pickup a cheap 250cc bike to ride the back roads but I certainly wouldn't do long trips or comute in the city.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:28:08 AM EDT
[#43]

Sorry.  

I lost most interest in riding because for the most part people on the road are assholes that have no care in the world about what is outside their sheltered little world (vehicle).  

My first day riding my zx6r I was rear ended by a woman in a minivan. I saw her coming in my mirror and pulled up my feet and let the clutch out and began to roll just as she hit me,  I kept the bike upright. whether I was riding my bobber, cruiser or a rocket didn't matter.  I have been squeezed out of my lane by lane changers,  cut off and even checked out of my lane, whether they did it on purpose or just not paying attention doesn't matter.  

Ride like you have a target painted on you and people are being paid t run you down.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#44]
Sorry OP.

I have wanted to get onto the road with a bike (I ride off road a lot). But things like this keep me in a car....

My son is really trying to get one, this is MY biggest fear (19yo)... He's sticking to the promise I made him make, so far (no bike until he's 25). I'm scared of what I might do if someone I love is killed like that. Forgiveness is not my strong suit.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:30:23 AM EDT
[#45]
I would ride my bike to work except for all the dumbass drivers these days. I had a co-worker get hit from behind on his dual sport while sitting at a stop light.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#46]
I rode in the seventies and eighties. Never again. My brother still suffers from a shoulder injury from a pea gravel  filled pothole in NC, that crash ended his riding days.

I love motorcycles, but the risk is too high. You can be the greatest rider in the world , do everything perfectly, and some troglodyte will run you over and kill you dead.

27 year career at the FD, saw it over & over, RIGHT, yet still DEAD.

Lost some good friends that way.

Brother Firefighter from my shift was killed on his Harley going 20mph in his Moms neighborhood, teenage girl backed out of her driveway in front of him, he went over the truck, landed on his head, broke his neck.

Sorry for your friend.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:34:00 AM EDT
[#47]
In the day and age riding a bike in the same roadway as motor vehicles is a death wish.

It's gotten exponentially worse since cellphones, car navigation  touch screens and Bluetooth.
I stopped riding motorcycles just for that reason.

Hell here in the USVI the grass and weeds over grow the roads forcing 2 lanes into 1-1/2 and you have clueless tourists riding bikes in the middle of the road.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:34:09 AM EDT
[#48]
I had a bike in my mid twenties for about a month. Old lady pulled out in front of me and locked up her brakes for a cat crossing the highway. I parked it and sold it shortly afterwards. I would love to ride again but I just don't trust other drivers. If you get into an accident in a car you'll probably walk away from it. Not so on a bike.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:34:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Eroic] [#49]
Sorry for your buddy.  42, damn.  Do you know his folks?  

I saw a dude the other day blow right through a red light with his head down looking at his phone.  I'm sure if you stand at any random intersection you'd see that often.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:35:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Sorry about your friend.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top