Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2024 2:31:33 PM EDT
Old wood fence in the suburbs is falling down.  Haven't measured, but I'd guesstimate around 250 feet of fence.  Google says $20-50/foot for wood fence installed, I'm not paying that much.
Chain link seems a bit trashy, but no HOA or any similar concerns.  It only has to keep the dog in.  

Current fence is about 5 feet tall with a board-width gap between each board.  I had to replace one post a tree limb flattened a few years ago and it was apparently set in an 80lb block of concrete(ie. they poured a bag in each post hole).  I don't want to dig up dozens of 80lb blocks of concrete, so I'm leaning towards putting the new posts midway between the old posts and just cutting off the old posts and leaving the concrete in the ground(concrete has a few inches of dirt over it so it isn't visible).  

Is there a cheaper/easier fence to put up yourself?  
Any other recommendations beyond winning the lottery?
Link Posted: 8/16/2024 4:39:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Seems chainlink is the least expensive option in my area, and also the easiest to install. I've put up a couple over the years. Wood is more, but affords you some privacy if you're looking for that. Concrete block is STUPID expensive. Your plan sounds like it would work out, as long as you're sticking with wood. Not familiar with prices in your area, though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 3:25:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:
Old wood fence in the suburbs is falling down.  Haven't measured, but I'd guesstimate around 250 feet of fence.  Google says $20-50/foot for wood fence installed, I'm not paying that much.
Chain link seems a bit trashy, but no HOA or any similar concerns.  It only has to keep the dog in.  

Current fence is about 5 feet tall with a board-width gap between each board.  I had to replace one post a tree limb flattened a few years ago and it was apparently set in an 80lb block of concrete(ie. they poured a bag in each post hole).  I don't want to dig up dozens of 80lb blocks of concrete, so I'm leaning towards putting the new posts midway between the old posts and just cutting off the old posts and leaving the concrete in the ground(concrete has a few inches of dirt over it so it isn't visible).  

Is there a cheaper/easier fence to put up yourself?  
Any other recommendations beyond winning the lottery?
View Quote

Cheap/Easy just doesn't exist....unless you get the materials for free.

1st....you need to decide what fence you are going to build.

2nd....you need to price the materials for the fence you are going to build in your area....and what equipment you'll need (like a tractor...post hole digger, etc)

3rd....you need to factor in the lifespan/maintenance you are expecting to achieve. (metal lasts longer than wood)

Go watch YouTube videos to help you figure out the labor and techniques you need to use.

Link Posted: 8/17/2024 3:44:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Are they 4x4 wood posts? I cut mine off, drilled a couple of holes in the remaining post and burned the stub out of the concrete. Came back and replaced wood posts with metal and a little bit of concrete to secure the post in the spot that the wood post was in.
Your plan will work too, I just hate digging and didn’t want to dig all new holes for posts.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#4]
If you don’t care much how it looks then T-posts and Hogwire fencing  is about as cheap as you’ll get I suspect. Around $200ish per 100 ft roll of wire, around $6/post (around here) and a few bucks for a post pounder and your in business.  Gate I’ve got no idea on, I made my own with some hinges and a latch plus some 2x4’s.  

Posts every 8-10 feet, brace the corner posts and stretch the wire nice and tight.  Oh yeah. Locally for every 5 posts you buy, they throw in the fencing clips. Tractor supply literally had a barrel full of the packs of clips and told me to take all I wanted.
Link Posted: 8/17/2024 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Chain link  kinda trashy? Lol , get a wrought iron fence fancy pants.
Link Posted: 8/18/2024 9:31:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: brahm] [#6]
if you are going to put up a wooden fence. look into using the same posts that are used for chainlink fences. they make an clamp to attach the linear 2bys to.

Link Posted: 8/20/2024 1:33:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Go price the materials.  The only way you're doing it cheaper is changing the style fence that you put up yourself.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top