Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 11:09:37 AM EDT
We have a stock tank pool and want to build a deck around it very similar to the picture.

I have never built a deck before and have no idea where to put posts or for that matter how to do any of it. Any help? It’s 9’ round at the top and 29” high. We want the deck about 2’ wide along the sides.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:17:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DesignatedMarksman] [#1]
Never done it, but Lowes has a deck builder app that you can design in and it will populate a cut sheet for you.

How To Build A Deck // DIY Home Improvement

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:44:40 PM EDT
[#2]
That’s a well finished design in your pic, OP. The edges and corners (note how it terminates at the concrete cleanly without the structure exposed) are details that are easy to overlook but have to be planned for ahead of time from a structural perspective.

If you really want it that cleanly finished, a professional may be the way to go.

If you are insistent on a DIY job, don’t be intimidated. It isn’t rocket science. But you sorta have to design it backwards from the finishes you want and don’t need to be in a hurry.

You can get up and running right away with a sturdy, simple design and then find out you’ve painted yourself into the figurative corner in terms of aesthetic finishing details available to you. Take your time and burn through some paper and pencil.

When I built mine, I got some guidance from the DIY books on deck building but also simplified it by knowing ahead of time that we were going to use foliage around the perimeter so finished edges weren’t necessary. I probably overbuilt it to some degree, but that was because my lumber costs allowed for it. They don’t let you return 1/2 a board or post, for example.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:06:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Start with watching the "how to build a deck" vids on YT. Go through https://www.decks.com/

Analyzing what my dad built at the house I grew up, you aren't going to need anything expensive. A tape measure, good saw, nailer or screw gun, level, square and string is pretty much the tool list you'll need.

Concrete block footings, 4x4s, and 2x10 joists/beams, and 2x4, 2x6, or cedar for decking. If budget allows, plastic wood is a nice option. It's unforgiving if you make a mistake, though.

Build the deck around the pool in a square U shape, leaving a ~4' empty space where you can probably just build a platform leveled on concrete blocks (pavers) for the step. Wrap the base in lattice or planks to finish.

I built a basic 12"x12" ground-level deck using pavers for footings and 2x4s with 1x4 cedar decking. Tired of dealing with the s**t grass/weeds that never went away around the septic lids. I cut out access panels so the septic tank could be inspected yearly. If I needed to, I could lift the entire deck up.

We had an 8' stock tank pool at our old house (I called it my wife's Pinterest Pool). We ran an Intex (sp?) filter on it, and I got an inexpensive propane on-demand water heater. One 20lb propane tank took the water from low 70s to 104*. And it skirted the HOA, which requires permits for pools deeper than 24".
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:58:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mikeyb76:
Start with watching the "how to build a deck" vids on YT. Go through https://www.decks.com/

Analyzing what my dad built at the house I grew up, you aren't going to need anything expensive. A tape measure, good saw, nailer or screw gun, level, square and string is pretty much the tool list you'll need.

Concrete block footings, 4x4s, and 2x10 joists/beams, and 2x4, 2x6, or cedar for decking. If budget allows, plastic wood is a nice option. It's unforgiving if you make a mistake, though.

Build the deck around the pool in a square U shape, leaving a ~4' empty space where you can probably just build a platform leveled on concrete blocks (pavers) for the step. Wrap the base in lattice or planks to finish.

I built a basic 12"x12" ground-level deck using pavers for footings and 2x4s with 1x4 cedar decking. Tired of dealing with the s**t grass/weeds that never went away around the septic lids. I cut out access panels so the septic tank could be inspected yearly. If I needed to, I could lift the entire deck up.

We had an 8' stock tank pool at our old house (I called it my wife's Pinterest Pool). We ran an Intex (sp?) filter on it, and I got an inexpensive propane on-demand water heater. One 20lb propane tank took the water from low 70s to 104*. And it skirted the HOA, which requires permits for pools deeper than 24".
View Quote

Precisely what this is...damn Pintrest. We put a Intex filter on it as well.

I ended up putting 4x4's in the ground around the perimeter in a square. Dug holes for the inner 4x4's but came into a snag in the corners. Trying to figure that part out still...
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 12:50:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Handydave] [#5]
Best I could come up with OP - I generally overbuild so you may be able to back off framing but the general framing principle works

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#6]
What is around the tank, concrete or dirt/grass?

All posts you want 'off the ground', either a post base bracket tapcon'd into the concrete or a base set in the gravel used to replace the topsoil.

Make the deck height work for the width of the decking boards used for skirting, so you don't have to do long rip cuts on them.

Notch the posts to carry the joists - will make it easier to skirt.

Cover the tops of all joists / posts with joist / zip / similar tape.

Ensure joist spacing is correct for the chosen decking, I always do 12" OC for composite.

The square outilside edges of the deck will be simple.  Making the round frame will be harder.
Link Posted: Today 1:28:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the replies!

I’ve been working on it here and there. Doing the best I can with no idea what I’m doing.

Would you put a post in the corner (red circle)? I’m thinking yes but it’s 90* , full sun and humid and don’t want to dig a hole

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top