User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:45:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Barndaminiums are the rage in our area.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:47:10 PM EDT
[#2]
If there is hemlock on the property I would have it sawed into post and beam and rough cut sheeting.  Portable sawmill would do
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:47:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm working on one right now.

I don't get it either. Foot for foot they aren't any cheaper, and are sometimes more.

The one we have plans on right now has a haunch and foam around the entire pad, it added a good chunk of money. For not a lot more we could have done frost walls and done an insulated crawlspace.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 8:55:03 PM EDT
[#4]
USPS flat rate boxes and AOL software cd’s.

Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:06:58 PM EDT
[#5]
We are going to build one of these little 4 season kits on a finger of the property in the next couple years.
https://jamaicacottageshop.com/

Our foundation for the the large main cabin build started today!!!
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 10:30:21 PM EDT
[#6]
GREAT info in here. Can't wait to wade through it all!
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:03:14 PM EDT
[#7]
North AR, south MO. It will sit empty 6 months of the year.  The methbillies will live in it 6 months of the year, totally trashing it.  Buy an RV, then you can take it with you.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:07:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Call Artisan Barn and Building Supply in Fair Play MO.

They did a yuge pole barn for me a couple years back.

Fantastic people and price. The owner is a Bible thumper who gives a good price to help people out.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:16:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Just placed an order for a shed 12’x40’ that I’ll turn into a cabin.  16’ of that is covered porch.  

I plan to be totally off grid.  
Solar and batteries.  All appliances DC or propane.  
Rainwater collection instead of a well since I’m on top of a mountain (the literal top)
Incinerator toilet.  Wood heat.  
Hope I get it done before the election.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:16:32 AM EDT
[#10]
Friend of mine has built  couple pole barn style houses. One he used reclaimed wood he got for free. He tore a bar down for it and hauled it off.
First home was for him and a girlfriend. He had a full shop downstairs. Second one was bigger and more storage upstairs.

His Son has built him a similar house now using block. Both of them piece it together as they go, no kits.

Im either going to do a pole barn style or block.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:20:49 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
These are actually very cool. Want to see when they come out with more designs. Thanks for sharing!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
These are actually very cool. Want to see when they come out with more designs. Thanks for sharing!

That is really cool, I wonder how long they last.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:21:56 AM EDT
[#12]
It's tough to beat a steel barn with half of it insulated living space.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 8:48:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
For fun, I was doing mortgage calculations last night. I typed in a $255,000 loan at 2.375% interest, 30 yr.: that's where we were not too long ago at the bottom. Now, rates are around 5.5%.

To keep the same payment now at 5.5%, a property that costs $255,000 would have to decline to $175,000 to have the same payment it would have had at 2.375%.  Wow!  
View Quote

Are you suggesting that you are going to get a mortgage loan on the "house" that you are considering building?  Because if you are, your mortgage options may be extremely limited for building a dwelling that may not conform to most loan company requirements.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:19:36 AM EDT
[#14]
You aren’t putting up anything inexpensive much less for 30-50k with the price of building supplies right now. Now that may change as interest rates climb and new builds level off. But they are still way higher than they were 2-3 years ago.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:24:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
You aren’t putting up anything inexpensive much less for 30-50k with the price of building supplies right now. Now that may change as interest rates climb and new builds level off. But they are still way higher than they were 2-3 years ago.
View Quote

As a guy in the industry I don’t think material prices will decline much at all. Maybe sheeting like advantech and OSB, but even then I am not so sure.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:57:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Pole building, you can build it yourself.
Built my own 25x40 several years ago with the help of my 12 yr old kid.  Had to keep it below 1000 square feet as to NOT have to pour footings.
Steel price is up, but your labor is free.
Only equipment I rented was a post hole digger.  The rest was just manual labor.

Menards $23,475 https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/the-project-store/residential-post-frame-projects/30w-x-40l-x-12-5h-workshop-post-frame-building-material-list/1902730/p-1444421948044-c-9893.htm?tid=8284773155647910485&ipos=147

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:01:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Hi. I'm looking at purchasing some land out of state and putting a cabin or a building on it. Something where I'll spend 1/2 the year.  Have a wife and 2 kids, but my oldest goes to college in 2 years.

I see that there are kits that range from $30-50K, but want to know if a better option is putting up a steel bldg and putting a living quarters inside of that, building something with block, etc.

This would be in N. Arkansas/S. Missouri. Want it to be insulated, have a wood stove, etc. Has electric to the property.

Any recommendations on manufacturers, etc?

Thanks in advance.
View Quote

Chop trees down or gather boulders
Hard to get cheaper than DIY

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Looking at 1 place that has a well and electric to the property. Would need Septic, HVAC.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As with all things, unless you are putting up a hunting camp for weekend use, (with wife and kids you are not)  you need:

Power (you have)
Potable water (drilled well)
Septic
HVAC (to keep the pipes from freezing in winter)

The drilled well and the septic is going to cost you anywhere from $10 to $20K.  Another $4K minimum for an installed and ducted propane forced hot air unit.

Factor this in as you plan.
Looking at 1 place that has a well and electric to the property. Would need Septic, HVAC.

We have 20 acres on a lake in North East WA. A neighbor built a cabin with a master shut off/drain lever at a low point in the house. Turn the lever and the pex drains in 10 minutes. Dump some Rv antifreeze in the drains to displace the water and you’re good to go. Literally takes 10 minutes because you can do the drains while the system is draining. His only heat is wood. Winters are in the 0s.

In four winters he’s never had a problem. It’s something to consider if you don’t want HVAC and the monthly costs associated with it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:54:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Are you suggesting that you are going to get a mortgage loan on the "house" that you are considering building?  Because if you are, your mortgage options may be extremely limited for building a dwelling that may not conform to most loan company requirements.

View Quote
No. Just that they payments on property have shot significantly higher in the past 4 months: was surprising to me. And that a lot of sellers have not embraced reality yet and think that we are in the "good old days" regarding rates/property prices.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:57:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File

Building one right now ..
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:00:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#22]
One of the main bitches with a second home/cabin or whatever you want call it is the upkeep sucks unless you're able/willing to pay people to take care of it.
The majority of people I know that have a second getaway place somewhere don't really get time to enjoy it like they had envisioned.
A big chunk of the time they get spend there is spent maintaining the property, granted some people enjoy that stuff I don't.
On the other hand if it's somewhere you can spend weeks/months at a time at that becomes much less of an issue.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:22:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

We bought 12 acres with one already built.
40x60 -half barn half “house”

Current security camera pics

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:36:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Local company that builds container homes:

https://www.relevantbuildings.com/structure-type/all/
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:37:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

$70/sheet for the Zip Board?
View Quote

I just priced it this week at $55 for the thicker.

But advantech is $95

ETA: it will obviously vary by locality.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 1:40:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

But advantech is $95

View Quote

66 for orange at a lumber yard. Surprising like $20 cheaper then big guys.

Oddly preprimed 50 year smart side is cheaper then osb
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:16:24 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But advantech is $95

It’s very strange times in the world of construction
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 3:49:18 PM EDT
[#28]
OP
Define inexpensive.

$10k shed, $50k pop up box 100k tiny home ?
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 5:01:39 PM EDT
[#29]
Just to chime in again:

OP, you will never, ever regret building a structure with thick, solid walls, but sheds or stick frame buildings could become the bane of your existence after a bad storm or heat spell

Build something thick; it's bullet resistant and holds the heat/cool air. It's how all of mankind lived up until 100 years ago or so, and for good reason.

Don't live in a shack if you can avoid it
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 5:26:33 PM EDT
[#30]
I've often wondered the feasibility of building a thin skinned structure, covering it in a waterproof lining, and then covering the whole thing in dirt except the front entrance.

Seems like interconnected shipping containers would be ideal for that as well.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 9:24:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I've often wondered the feasibility of building a thin skinned structure, covering it in a waterproof lining, and then covering the whole thing in dirt except the front entrance.

View Quote

Shipping containers are useless for burial. Their strength is in the floor and 4 corners vertically.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Just to chime in again:

OP, you will never, ever regret building a structure with thick, solid walls, but sheds or stick frame buildings could become the bane of your existence after a bad storm or heat spell

Build something thick; it's bullet resistant and holds the heat/cool air. It's how all of mankind lived up until 100 years ago or so, and for good reason.

View Quote

I think I may give ICF blocks a try for a few projects.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:11:54 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to chime in again:

Pouring one today.

For what it's worth, it added 6 grand to a $20k frost wall project when he decided to use them. The price on the foam and the plastic webs has apparently been flying lately. $33/block before tax, plus the little stuff like clips and waterproofing.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Pouring one today.

For what it's worth, it added 6 grand to a $20k frost wall project when he decided to use them. The price on the foam and the plastic webs has apparently been flying lately. $33/block before tax, plus the little stuff like clips and waterproofing.
View Quote

Ouch. I imagine rebar isn't cheap rn either.

If I were going to build a new house, It would definitely be ICF. I'm pretty content with my 60's era precast exterior walls now; though I might change my tune when I start replacing some siding My buddy took out an interior wall for us, but it was actually an old exterior concrete wall...fun times we're not had

I wish I could find the original builder for these concrete houses in my area. It appears to have been a modular sorta thing where they all started as 1 or 2 bed bungalows and people added more concrete rooms over time, so that builder must've been around for a while...
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 2:00:38 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Pouring one today.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to chime in again:

Pouring one today.

Everything is insane.
I was thing about using them for a small root cellar build.  Any thoughts on where they would be a good candidate?

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:34:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Everything is insane.
I was thing about using them for a small root cellar build.  Any thoughts on where they would be a good candidate?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Just to chime in again:

Pouring one today.

Everything is insane.

They do their job well, just very expensive.

Anywhere you need to keep warm and air tight is a good place to use them.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 5:56:47 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:21:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:32:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
For fun, I was doing mortgage calculations last night. I typed in a $255,000 loan at 2.375% interest, 30 yr.: that's where we were not too long ago at the bottom. Now, rates are around 5.5%.

To keep the same payment now at 5.5%, a property that costs $255,000 would have to decline to $175,000 to have the same payment it would have had at 2.375%.  Wow!  
View Quote

Yep.

However, you could have saved the typing and the math and just wrote...

FUCK JOE BIDEN.

way less typing.

Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:49:59 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Shipping containers are useless for burial. Their strength is in the floor and 4 corners vertically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'll 2nd that.

Guy down the road has a commercial property on the corner and a creek running through the corner.
He buried a couple of contaniers to act as culverts. Rotted out in a year. Total waste.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top