Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/24/2024 11:22:26 PM EDT
Hello AR15! Im 21 and just got my CDL, no endorsements yet. Located in the central Florida area, I have a potential job with Swift and Schneider.

If those don't work out, where should I go for initial experience? I'm excited for this new career and would like to know some of the unknowns. What should I look out for or be aware of in this industry?

All input is extremely appreciated, thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:30:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:35:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Parody thread?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:36:16 PM EDT
[#3]
IBTL
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
This is awkward
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:40:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Anonymous264366:
Hello AR15! Im 21 and just got my CDL, no endorsements yet. Located in the central Florida area, I have a potential job with Swift and Schneider.

If those don't work out, where should I go for initial experience? I'm excited for this new career and would like to know some of the unknowns. What should I look out for or be aware of in this industry?

View Quote

Oh nooooooooooo..........

Why didn't you get your endorsements?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:42:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bottle:
This is awkward
View Quote
yes, yes it is.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By JLPettimoreIII:
yes, yes it is.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]
yes, yes it is.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Bottle:
This is awkward
yes, yes it is.

Makes it all the more sweet before the lock!
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:59:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bollocks44] [#9]
[Deleted]
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:07:36 AM EDT
[#10]
In on uno
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:26:06 AM EDT
[#11]
The only advice I can give you is this; if you can't pass the vehicle in front of you expeditiously, stay out of the left lane. I rode behind a #$@^& truck for at least five miles as he rode along side another 18 wheeler yesterday on I-75 north of Chattanooga. He was doing that shit on purpose and I made him pay for it too. Got in front of him and slowed his ass to 45 mph.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:27:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By SkyFive: Got in front of him and slowed his ass to 45 mph.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:28:14 AM EDT
[#13]
I think your dad asked the same question.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:27:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By OregonShooter:
I think your dad asked the same question.
View Quote

He sure did.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 9:19:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: diamondd817] [#15]
Originally Posted By Anonymous264366:

View Quote

Join Truckersreport.com forum and ask these questions.

https://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#16]
I’ll give you the same advice as in the other thread.  

You need to get into tanks/hazmat tanks, or flatbed/stepdeck.  

Do not waste time in the van/reefer side of the industry.   You may see better starting salaries on the van/reefer starting out, but what they won’t tell you is you’re going to top out much sooner, and at a much lower rate.  

Tanks and flats offer a lot more growth potential.    At 21, and living in Florida, your options are exceedingly limited.   If, by the time you are 23, you have two years experience in a specialized field and have a clean record, you will be ahead of the vast majority of CDL holders applying for jobs.  

It really depends on your personality, and what will suit you better, but tanks and flats are where it’s at.   If you’re physically active and like challenges in load securement and tarping, go put in your time on flats, steps, and then get into oversize and heavy haul in a couple years.  

Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:33:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ar154all] [#17]
Originally Posted By akguy1985:
Parody thread?
View Quote

No.  This is my kid.  He really likes the responses to the thread that I posted looking for info, he joined here and truckers report.

He has been using firearms since before kindergarten.  He is very familiar with an AR-15.  

He is a good kid.  He has had his fair share of shenanigans, but, overall, any Dad would be proud to have him as a son.

HAM licenced 3-4 years ago.  No traffic accidents.  Can play music by ear; guitar,drums, keyboard, kazoo...

Again, thanks ARF.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top