Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:02:03 AM EDT
[#1]
IMO, with WI winters;  t shirt, waffle, blouse, marshmallow.  Legs are waffle, pants, marshmallow.

In have silkies, still NIW.    Marshmallow is the key layer.   I use marshmallow pants as winter motorcycling overpants (20 degree plus 80 mph windchill).
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:07:55 AM EDT
[#2]
The level 2 waffle top and the level 4 "wind jacket" are a great combo.you stay warm but not over heat and Its not that bulky. If you want more warm add the fleece under the level 4 jacket. The new fleece will allow wind to blow right through it as it is met to breath and not really be an outer layer like the old fleece. It shine with a wind stopping layer over top of it.

Overall for standard military issue its pretty good, I am a huge fan of the Level 4 jacket and where it a lot, look for the Marine/SOCCOM version level 4 jacket. It has a hood and better design. The standard Army version is based of the old Patagonia sling shot jacket.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:13:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Wore my waffle top and wind jacket all night. Probably my favorite combination for windy and slightly cool.

but I'm a Pogue
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:20:54 AM EDT
[#4]
The level 2 waffle top and the level 4 "wind jacket" are a great combo.you stay warm but not over heat and Its not that bulky. If you want more warm add the fleece under the level 4 jacket. The new fleece will allow wind to blow right through it as it is met to breath and not really be an outer layer like the old fleece. It shine with a wind stopping layer over top of it.

Overall for standard military issue its pretty good, I am a huge fan of the Level 4 jacket and where it a lot, look for the Marine/SOCCOM version level 4 jacket. It has a hood and better design. The standard Army version is based of the old Patagonia sling shot jacket.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 1:54:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Milliken owns polart3cj as of last year, which isn't really a surprise, as most of dods speciality fabrics are Milliken products.

I dont think they've ever sewn anything.

I would assume that most of their offerings are us produced, but can't guarantee it.
I do know that all the materials/ mills rolls/partials i buy from them are berry compliant, but I specify/verify on purchase.

The older stuff is likely to be marked polar tech or polar Maxx for the base layers
Depending on the generarion.or end user you will see level 6/7 stuff from Patagonia and wild things, and ocacionaly 4,/5 from pata or arc.

Some of the 4-6 items are now also produced my massif, and iirc massif is the primary supplier of the flame resistant ecws g3 stuff

Eta,
There are also some non standard ecws items out there for socom/others produced by archery Patagonia wild things outdoor research and eagle. You may also run into various gen 2.5 or spear aperitif ecws items that are sterile, for lack of a better term,
The most likely one that comes to mind is a reversible woodland/three color desert jacket thats kind of halfway between the old gorgeous and the new windshirt.

On the surplus scene there are also several spear variations on the wind and soft shell layers that are primarily seen.in solid colors like coyote and ranger green.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:25:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I don't think they ever had a govt contract, at least not DOD, and their stuff used to be crap copies, but they really upped their game and have put out their own line and designs which have been top-notch.
View Quote

That's interesting. I used to think that TrueSpec was complete shite. Glad to hear that has changed.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:40:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Wild Things Gear - Cold Weather

I've had good luck with the WT pieces I've picked up over the years.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 2:43:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Just a pro tip.

DO NOT USE any kind of fabric softener, to.include the sheets with the base layers.
It causes them to lose loft and it messes up their moisture wicking abilities.
View Quote

This is good advice. Fabric softener is essentially soap. You don't want to rub that all over the fibers.

Everyone gets confused (and rightly so) because there is the OEM of the design of the system (or whatever), and then there are the contracted sewing shops that make it for the mil, and then the crap copies made by everybody else. ADS is legit though.

The system has changed over the years and only gotten better, because Joe tends to dress for comfort while just standing around, rather than while doing any activity. You don't even need all the layers unless you are going to Antarctica. Moisture management and proper venting will help a lot.

Average mid-level NCOs also mandate pants-on-head retarded things like wearing the fleece over the mil/poly blouse, which does almost no good. It's not entirely their fault because everyone looks like ass in a bunch of winter gear, and no two people feel the same amount of warmth. Oh, and because nobody has time for things like changing layers to match conditions, we've got shit to do.

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 4:12:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks. Very useful info.

https://adsinc.com/product/gen-iii-ecwcs-level-2/

This would i think be the real deal. They don't seem to sell to private parties though. So I just need to find someone who does. No tactical underwear for u peasants
View Quote

For reference. GEN III level 6 jacket

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Unfortunately not. As far as size goes I'm six foot 195 with no beer belly. Should I be looking large/long or xl. I want something thats not to baggy for moving through brush but is still easy to move around in.
View Quote

No bigger than large i would say if you're not planning on wearing it over a shit ton of other layers.  I'm 6'2" 240, and my large/tall (gen 2 maybe?  It's woodland camo and we got them in 2011) fits, but it's snug when zipped.  I wear 2xl shirts normally.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:11:03 PM EDT
[#11]
This is a large reg. Im 5/11 220lbs. Ive got a fleece on under it. I figure a longsleeve shirt, a heavy wool shirt, and a fleece should get me down to 0 with plenty of room for other layers and lower temps.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#12]
I just got the GF and me replacement Gen II parkas from Tru Spec and let me tell you . . . I thought the old ones were noisy!

Holy Hell! These are so crinkly, every movement is crazy loud - and they didn't come with the fleeces, like the old ones did.

I wish I'd have known about the "Ft Bragg" company posted above. Half the price for the real deal! GRRRRR!!!!

Oh! The reason for replacing the old one was because the seam tape came out after washing. Could I just use silicone caulk to reattach it?

Any tips for regaining water repellency too?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 10:57:29 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks everyone for the sizing info. Looks like large/regular is the way to go. I'm assuming this holds true for the under layers as well. Probably will order those first.

https://orbitaltactical.com/product/tennier-ocp-scorpion-level-6-usgi-jacket-lr-large-regular-current-issue/

This would seem to be the correct jacket. Not familiar with that camo pattern. In the pics the multi cam looks darker. I live in heavy pine forest and I'd think darker is better but camo is kinda out of my wheelhouse. Anyone familiar with that retailer? They seem to have good selection and prices.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:00:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Dude. Go to eBay. I have that same jacket. It’s “meh”. The woodland and DCU versions were made better in my opinion.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 11:15:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I've been rocking the newest gen heavyweight waffle top (UA/cabelas ecwcs) and a woobie hoodie. Fuckin shit is hot. Mn winter, in construction, 2 layers. Otherwise, it's the same waffle top with the carhartt thermal lined hoodie (discontinue product) or the berne thermal lined hoodie....I don't like zip up hoodies
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 12:37:01 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Dude. Go to eBay. I have that same jacket. It’s “meh”. The woodland and DCU versions were made better in my opinion.
View Quote

Yeah I was warned off sportsmans guide. Been looking into orbital tactical. They seem legit and have an excellent ebay rating. They have the tennier jacket in scorpion supposedly new in package. The only level 6 pants are multicam. Not sure if mixing and matching camo patterns work.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 12:57:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Buying military gear for new retail price is pants on head retarded when you can buy commercial equivalents for the same or less money. Dedicated hunting clothing would be a different story, but buying new for full price is still dumb when you can hit any of a dozen surplus sources and thrift stores to buy for pennies on the dollar.

The $155 L6 jacket you linked to is a direct copy of a Patagonia Goretex jacket made in the late ‘90s. The newer version is the Torrentshell and can be found at a plethora of retailers for $99-179. You can also buy a (superior IMHO) Outdoor Research Foray jacket for as low as $128.95.

The L2 grid fleece and L3 hi loft fleece jacket from the Gen III suite are a copy of the Patagonia R1 and R3 fleece jackets. Those are pricey because of the brand name, but Old Navy makes the “Go Warm” fleece line that is a higher quality material than the issued grid fleece and can be had for like $7/pc on the clearance rack at your local store.

The Primaloft L7 parka and pants are tough to compete with on the commercial market, but you can find them on the used market (including here in the EE) for like $50/pc rather than whatever exorbitant price ADS is asking.

Go shop the REI clearance page, Backcountry and Steep & Cheap, and Sierra Trading Post for quality outdoor gear. Don’t be a nerd, OP.

And don’t forget the EE. I just lost a bunch of weight and dumped some of my old clothes pretty cheaply there. Others do the same frequently.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:12:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Waffles:
https://www.backcountry.com/terramar-ecolator-quarter-zip

https://www.backcountry.com/stoic-midweight-baselayer-bottom-mens

Vastly superior hard shell jacket and pants with the jacket being only $20 more than the issue POS that doesn’t even have pockets:

https://www.backcountry.com/backcountry-hayden-gore-tex-infinium-jacket-mens

https://www.backcountry.com/marmot-precip-eco-pant-mens

And a $18 hi loft fleece jacket that’s indubitably equal to the issued jacket and won’t make you look like a nerd:

https://www.backcountry.com/stoic-hi-loft-fleece-jacket-mens

My apologies for the hasty formatting and probably-not-hot linking, but I have to be up for work in less than four hours. ??
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I just got the GF and me replacement Gen II parkas from Tru Spec and let me tell you . . . I thought the old ones were noisy!

Holy Hell! These are so crinkly, every movement is crazy loud - and they didn't come with the fleeces, like the old ones did.

I wish I'd have known about the "Ft Bragg" company posted above. Half the price for the real deal! GRRRRR!!!!

Oh! The reason for replacing the old one was because the seam tape came out after washing. Could I just use silicone caulk to reattach it?

Any tips for regaining water repellency too?

Thanks!
View Quote

Colman technical fabric treatment or nicwax tech dry

Do.notnuae campndry.or.anu of the other silicon based  ones, your gortex/sogtahell.will.never breath again.

You can buy new seam tape too, if you can't find any specifically for gotten the tent repair stuff works just fine.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:45:17 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thanks everyone for the sizing info. Looks like large/regular is the way to go. I'm assuming this holds true for the under layers as well. Probably will order those first.

https://orbitaltactical.com/product/tennier-ocp-scorpion-level-6-usgi-jacket-lr-large-regular-current-issue/

This would seem to be the correct jacket. Not familiar with that camo pattern. In the pics the multi cam looks darker. I live in heavy pine forest and I'd think darker is better but camo is kinda out of my wheelhouse. Anyone familiar with that retailer? They seem to have good selection and prices.
View Quote

The camo is right for what its labeled as,
Scorpion and multicam are from the same base trial pattern.
Scorpion has slightly more contrasting colorways and usually a brighter appearance (although it is fabric dependant)
Scorpion is the current army xamoflauge, where multicam was primarily purchased for/intended to be used in Afghanistan and Iraq, due to the continuing negative reviews (failured) of natick/people soldiers in house ucp and ucpd patterns.

You can very likely find the same jacket in multicam slight cheaper if you keep looking.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 1:51:40 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Yeah I was warned off sportsmans guide. Been looking into orbital tactical. They seem legit and have an excellent ebay rating. They have the tennier jacket in scorpion supposedly new in package. The only level 6 pants are multicam. Not sure if mixing and matching camo patterns work.
View Quote

Most people won't even notice.

In regards to the comparison between the gen 2 parka and the gen 3 hardshell,

They are similar, but constructed differently because they are intended to be used in different manners.

The gen 2 was a catchall winter parka, where as the gen 3 goetex layer is intended as a water and wind barrier to be used in conjunction with the corresponding under layers recommended for the conditions.

It replaces both the older rain gear and parka/cold weather pants, weighs less and takes less space to store.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:28:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Waffles:

Vastly superior hard shell jacket and pants with the jacket being only $20 more than the issue POS that doesn’t even have pockets:

And a $18 hi loft fleece jacket that’s indubitably equal to the issued jacket and won’t make you look like a nerd:

My apologies for the hasty formatting and probably-not-hot linking, but I have to be up for work in less than four hours. ??
View Quote

Thanks for the links. I'm kinda coming at this from the opposite angle. The jackets we've been looking at are all in the 300$ up to whatever we are willing to pay so a 155$ jacket seems cheap. My most important criteria are durability and not made in China. I would also like new so I know the Gortex hasn't been badly cared for and is still breathable.

I have lots of mid range hiking gear but in recent years we've started doing snow shoeing and during the summer off trail hiking. I've found my current set up especially rain gear does not hold up to this sort of thing. I'm not worried at all about looking like a nerd. We hike with just the 2 of us and I could care less what some commie from Portland thinks when we pass them on the trail.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Unfortunately not. As far as size goes I'm six foot 195 with no beer belly. Should I be looking large/long or xl. I want something thats not to baggy for moving through brush but is still easy to move around in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

do you know someone in the .mil.  I believe they are sold in Clothing sales currently, along with silks and waffles

I'd try for LL.

As to your questions generally, I've had the same entire ecwcs suit for over a decade and it's held up to periodic Army and non military use very well.  If I were going to spend time in a very cold environment I would replace the level 7 because i would guess the insulation has compressed somewhat.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's not that cold were I live but rains 6 months out of the year. I'm thinking silkys and waffles with the raincoat over the top would be enough for most of my uses.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wear the silkies, waffles  and fleece for hunting. Also have the cold weather pants which are awesome. Need the parka still...

Wearing it all right now actually.

It's not that cold were I live but rains 6 months out of the year. I'm thinking silkys and waffles with the raincoat over the top would be enough for most of my uses.

You're probably right.  You'll probably find that the rain pants are not intrusive and gtg for frequent use.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:08:43 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Waffles:

View Quote

Wow, this still qualifies for the Quality Post of the Thread Award though. Everything needed in one place to save somebody a bundle on a complete winter ensemble.

Way to go @tigglesworth, that's very kind of you to make the effort!
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:42:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
When we did cold weather training up in the cold of Alaska we only used poly pro shirt and pants, gortex tops and bottoms, and Vb boots. Gloves, Bali and sunglasses. We got down to -60  at times. We were quite worm with just that.
View Quote

We wore that same configuration in the 90's. The polypros will keep you nice and warm but you can easily overheat in them if active. That is why the gore-tex from that time had all the zippered seams.

I have worn the silkies, the grid fleece, the heavy fleece, and I have one of Gen3 parkas.

I replaced the silkies with wool. I do not wear any synthetic base layers. I feel warmer in it but do not overheat and it feels better against my skin. I also like 3/4 zip so if I get hot I can adjust as needed.

If I need more warmth I wear the grid fleece over my wool base layer. This is a really good combo. Nice and warm but not bulky at all.

I have several of the USMC black fleeces. They are warm, durable, and you used to be able to pick them up off ebay for pennies. I used to wear them all the time but now I wear my Atom LT now. It has better wind protection and the breathable side panels mean I am not messing with pit zips under a shell.

The parka is built like a tank. It is durable as hell but heavy and noisy. You used to be able to pick them up for pennies too.

YMMV

Link Posted: 12/15/2020 9:54:22 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They are similar, but constructed differently because they are intended to be used in different manners.

The gen 2 was a catchall winter parka, where as the gen 3 goetex layer is intended as a water and wind barrier to be used in conjunction with the corresponding under layers recommended for the conditions.

It replaces both the older rain gear and parka/cold weather pants, weighs less and takes less space to store.
View Quote

Thanks. The gen3 hard shell seems like its used similar to what I use my Columbia hardshell for now. Cost about twice as much but is camo and I would assume more durable. The tennier stuff seems to get excellent reviews. US made, durable, and cheap enough to be semi disposable. It seems worth trying. If I'm happy with it I would probably buy a couple more for back ups. I can get 3 or 4 for what I was considering paying for higher end mountain gear and It won't ruin my weekend if I punch a hole in one.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:07:06 AM EDT
[#28]
I have the level 1 and 2 base layers, the level 3 fleece, and the marshmallow parka and pants.

Level 1 base is great for hiking.

Level 2 is great sleep wear when winter camping.

Level 3 is ok when stopped but too hot when moving.

The Parka and pants stay in my Jeep for emergencies.

Buy unissued on ebay for cheap.  Get the genuine mil ones not the Rothco and imitations.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 4:14:35 PM EDT
[#29]
FWIW all of my ECWCS stuff is labeled ADS/Milliken/Polartec. I have Massif stuff too but it is not ECWCS although it is possible they are the OEM for some of the winter kit too.

When not much insulation is needed ill go with silkies and grid under regular outerwear because it is comfortable. When its cold and windy also add the fleece and marshmallow stuff. Do not wear mashmallow gear during movements unless absolutely necessary, you will sweat.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:39:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Can't argue with much here.

I'm wearing the waffles today, over a t-shirt, in the house.  It was 7 this morning- threw on my old M65 with a liner and was good for the 20 or so minutes outside.

I agree with the silkies if active,  waffles for sleep. The fleece is a bit light, and as stated, wind blows through.  Never really use the level 4.   Only used 5/6 occasionally.  Only have the level 7 pants, use a kifaru puffy jacket up top.

I was issued the whole kit years ago, had to give levels 4-7 back when I rotated home.  Liked them enough to buy them for myself.  Take that how you will.   But, only recently moved someplace cold enough to use the L7.
Link Posted: 12/22/2020 10:59:56 PM EDT
[#31]
Received my Tennier level 6 jacket. Initial impression is its a significant step up in quality from my Columbia gear. I'm 6 foot 195 and the large regular fits me perfectly. Tight enough to my body that it won't get snagged easily but still easy to move around in. Really like the heavier material on the bottom of the forearms. This has been a failure point on my previous jackets. For 150$ I'm happy. There are no pockets only pass throughs. Im used to having pockets but seeing as how stuff in my rain jacket pockets always gets wet making that adjustment probably isn't a bad thing. The tag doesn't say where its made but all the info online says US made.

Link Posted: 12/22/2020 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
do you even layer bro...

there are 7 layers like an onion.

I personally only ever used  2, 3 and 6 with some modification in various conditions. never pants if I could help it.

waffle top + fleece + ww rain jacket + watch cap in that order.

View Quote

Thats my range day set up. Keeps me very toasty.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 12:47:18 AM EDT
[#33]
**I see OP has found what he wants. I'm just sharing some initial impressions I've gathered from a few offerings. When I was searching for gear, I had a hard time gauging sizes and not know what I could layer under and what I couldn't. In short, for civilian clothes I've always been XL, or larger in lesser points in my life. In PCU or ECWCS, Large fits well, perhaps even loose a little.**

Disclaimer: It doesn't rain in the high desert of NM, so I've no testing in wet conditions yet

Beyond Clothing PCU Level 6 (USA made)

Just copped this for like $140.

Has the armpit vent zippers. Has 2 front pockets, mesh lined. Pockets have double storm flaps. Main zipper has double storm flaps, with an extra flap covering the zipper at the top. Velcro seems medium strength. The hood does not stow away into collar (not a big deal, considering it's purpose).

Hood is very large, to fit over a helmet, but has a shock cord assembly to cinch it up.

I'm 5' 11'' 250lbs. Size large fits over a size large Gen III Fleece with plenty of room to move around.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
l
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:01:51 AM EDT
[#34]
ECWCS Gen III Level 6 (USA made)

$120 ish on the EE

Pit zippers, bit I think they are actually pass throughs for pockets (located on chest, not in the arms). No pockets. Double storm flap on the main zipper. Single flap on the pit zips. Velcro is very strong. Hood is large and fits helmet, has shock cord adjustment, can stow into the collar. Seams taped. Come in Multicam

Like the PCU, 5'11'' 250lbs, plenty of room over a Gen III Fleece.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:13:41 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

generally sizing holds for all layers

looks like you FO'ed glad the size worked out.  I like the pass thru and vent under arms,  if you splurge on the fleece you will see why.  layer 6 pants and top with hood up keeps the water at bay very well.  
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:23:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Patagonia Torrentshell H2NO (Import)

Less than $100 (maybe $80) on clearance, due to color discontinuation. I think $150 retail

Lighter weight material than PCU/ECWCS, probably less durable.

Small pit zips. No velcro except for the cuffs. Main zipper has 2 small storm flaps. 2 pockets, no mesh, completely enclosed. Pockets and pits have single small storm flap. Hood will fit over a hat on my fat head, maybe a bike helmet on a small head. Hood has shock cord adjustment front and back. Has a soft to the touch lining for next to skin contact. Seams taped.

Much smaller than PCU/ECWCS. This is in Patagonia sizing so this is an XL.  5'11'', 250 lbs, when worn over Gen III Fleece, it restricts movement. Fits fine with just a shirt or silkies.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:42:31 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And does anyone know how these would fit women? Will be an easier sell if the wife gets some too. She's 5'2 120 so thinking XS regular length?
View Quote

x-short max height is 57-63in

short is 63-67in

chest size for regular or small

reg will be too long for 5'2"

https://www.armystudyguide.com/content/army_board_study_guide_topics/uniforms/army-combat-uniform-acu-s.shtml
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:47:35 AM EDT
[#38]
I found all of the base layers on Poshmark. Search for "XGO". Most is new in package or new with tags.

Google "XGO" for the company's site. Be sure to go by the size chart, as it is true to size.

Found my level 7 insulated pants on the bay for a really good price. These are nice sitting in a ground blind all day. Get the matching suspenders.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 1:51:47 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I found all of the base layers on Poshmark. Search for "XGO". Most is new in package or new with tags.

Google "XGO" for the company's site. Be sure to go by the size chart, as it is true to size.

Found my level 7 insulated pants on the bay for a really good price. These are nice sitting in a ground blind all day. Get the matching suspenders.

Good luck.
View Quote

XGO has a clearance section that always has red hot prices. It was wiped out pretty good on Black Friday, but stuff will pop up every now and then.

Level 7 pants are pretty cheap on ebay and the EE. I think I paid $40 for ECWCS pants and $50 for PCU pants.

Pants for the PCU are smaller than sizing for ECWCS. For at least levels 5, 6, and 7. I had to go XL on those instead of L like I wear for BDUs and ECWCS.
Link Posted: 12/23/2020 8:13:13 AM EDT
[#40]
I haven't decided on what layers to go with yet. The fleece has pockets that could be used with the pass throughs but i think would be too warm for most of my uses. The other layers do not. Will probably get a thin fleece with pockets in the right places. Once I started doing off trail bushwacking everything I used to carry in my pockets quickly migrated to my pack but it would be nice to have some kinda storage.

After wearing around the house I am very happy with the fit and quality. I'm especially happy with the inside which seems very durable. On my latest Columbia jacket the shell is still intact but everything on the inside like pockets, liner, double material around cuffs is shredded. I don't think that will be an issue with this jacket.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 8:23:07 PM EDT
[#41]
After a couple drinks we went layer shopping. Got silkies and waffles + lvl3 fleece for me and the wife. We ordered all her stuff + my fleece from polartec. My layers from ebay. ADS stuff and the usmc grid upper which I understand has pockets. This was prompted by our polartec beanies and socks showing up which are very comfortable. Got them from a small company out of Texas called toasties.

https://polartecmilitary.com/collections/military-issue-collection

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-US-GI-POLARTEC-Silkweight-Underwear-Shirt-Black-Level-1-Large-Regular-Peckha/192623318117?hash=item2cd93e9465:g:NZQAAOSwKLxbbarp
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#42]

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SEALED-IN-BAG-LARGE-USMC-GRID-FLEECE-FROG-POLARTEC-COYOTE-JACKET/254814402852?hash=item3b541f3924:g:P44AAOSwJq9f4Qct

And the wife found these

https://berkshireblanket.com/collections/blankets/products/polartec-high-loft-bed-blanket

Will be interesting to compare the quality from the different manufacturers.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#43]
@fmj_shooter I am looking for that jacket on the EE. I am looking for multi cam ecws
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:02:08 PM EDT
[#44]
I did a lot of research on this.  If you want something against rain, I would go with the Tru-Spec H2O PROOF GEN2 ECWCS PARKA.  The seams are properly taped from the inside and make it truly waterproof.  I went ahead and got the pants as well but still need suspenders for them.

This is the thread I started but it’s archived so I don’t know if you have access:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Anyone-use-the-U-S-Military-Surplus-ECWCS-Gen-3-Level-6-GORE-TEX-Rain-Jacket-/10-510294/

This is the Tru-Spec rain jacket.

https://www.truspec.com/outerwear/h2o-proof-outerwear/h2o-proof-gen2-ecwcs-parka

The new military surplus Gen 3 rain coat you linked at Sportsman’s Guide is also great, but the jacket material is not as tough/thick as he Gen 2 Tru-Spec.  I don’t own the Gen 3 but IIRC @raf does and others have noted it’s not as thick.  However, it may pack better if you’re hiking and need a rain coat.  I may still buy one.  The seams are properly taped on the inside and make them truly waterproof.  Unless you are working in sharp thorny brush/ jagged metal environment, the Gen 3 should be fine.  

If you want my opinion on the Gen 3 and Gen 4 parka, I have both.  If it doesn’t get cold where you live, the parka would be completely unnecessary.  Let me know.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:10:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@GlockLuvinRedleg

I have a couple of the Gen 2 “parkas” in the 3 pictures below.  They are decent against rain, and I will wear them with wool sweaters, waffles underneath in cold weather, but one issue regarding rain is that the seams are not all properly taped, but most are.  The Gen 2 Tru-Spec and the military surplus Gen 3 rain coats are both properly taped along every seam.

Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:57:18 PM EDT
[#46]
After reading reviews quite a few seemed to think sportsmans guide was shady. I ended up getting the Tennier jacket from orbital tactical. Just ordered the Tennier pants as well but they went out of stock while I was ordering so don't know if I got them or not. Tru spec reviews seemed to be pretty spotty lately. Figured polartec and ads were probably the safest bet. Not sure who stitches the polartec ones but I figure its probably same as the ads ones. I probably won't get a parka. We don't get a ton of bellow freezing weather just lots of cold and rainy. Figure hard shell and layers is the way.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 9:59:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Good thread, thanks for the info everyone.  The GruntProof video on ECWCS that was mentioned earlier:
The Complete Extended Cold Weather Clothing System (ECWCS)
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:18:37 PM EDT
[#48]
And just to be clear i don't think the Tennier stuff was ever standard issue. Guys in the .mil seemed to have used them and they have the nsn # but I don't know how they were issued. I think the ADS made by Peckham is current or recent issue. The
Millikin stuff is older and seems to be well regarded.
Not sure who makes the polartec stuff. I will update when it gets here.

What are people using for gloves with these kinda set ups? Would like light insulation and water proof while being a snug enough to still use a rifle. The gloves I've found that seem high quality either seem too bulky or are not water proof.
Link Posted: 12/24/2020 11:56:10 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@fmj_shooter I am looking for that jacket on the EE. I am looking for multi cam ecws
View Quote

@Canoeguy

The one shown is mine, that I got off the EE.

Put up a WTB ad, you'd be surprised how many people have gear they don't want. I've gotten things like tents from listing a WTB.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 3:44:42 PM EDT
[#50]
https://www.amazon.com/BlackStrap-Weather-Gaiter-Warmer-Abstract/dp/B07TS91N78?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

Ordered neck gaiter plus a couple different balaclava types from these guys. Says US made with US milled cloth. Also ordered a neck gaiter from toestee made from polartec. Been wearing my polartec beanie and socks from them around the house and they are very comfy. I'm pretty set except for boots and gloves. Seems those are gonna be spendy.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top