Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/25/2024 11:47:09 AM EDT
Pulled up some tile in the entryway, as we’re putting LVP throughout. I’ve got a squeak in one area of the subfloor (3/4” thick) I can’t get rid of.

Tried backing out and driving in existing screws, drove in additional screws next to them, still have a squeak. I can walk along the floor above the joists to either side of the squeaking one, and no squeak.

I have access from below, and the subfloor is also glued to the joists. Should I check for a gap between the joist and flooring? I did see a product that screws into the bottom of the flooring, then has a threaded rod that attaches to a hanger that hooks under the bottom of the joist, and you tighten up a nut on the rod to draw the floor down to the joist. Anyone try that?
Link Posted: 8/25/2024 12:16:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: User55645] [#1]
If the subfloor is indeed glued down, what's squeaking? Pull the screws out and see if that changes. Can you put a chisel or prybar between subfloor and joist? If so, glue isn't gluing. Try to get some pl400 between.

Go ham w/ screws or, which I'd prefer, nail gun w/ 2-1/2" #8 ring Shank, about every 4". If it squeaks after that it's where the joist meets beam or wall.

Eta: if there's power, plumbing, etc running through those joists, make sure their anchors aren't squeaky either.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 12:36:37 AM EDT
[#2]
You could sister a joist running parallel with the existing tji/floor joist. Glued and screwed of course.
Link Posted: 8/26/2024 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#3]
If it has wooden bridging (x bracing) between the joists, make sure the two x braces aren't touching each other in the middle of the x.  They can rub together like cricket legs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top