Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:03:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

once in a lifetime?

So you sold your MVIS position?

smells fishy
View Quote

I sold a portion of my position, and have reinvested as the tech market has fallen. Did you read the "okay, twice..." part, or are you trolling outside the NASDAQ thread now?
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:03:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I've seen estimates that put the number of day traders who eventually get wiped out as high as 90%, and not understanding the tax implications is one of the major contributing factors.

Here's some fun light reading from a badly written summary...History of day trading
"Like many things people didn’t understand, day trading became feared and distrusted. During this time period, day trading had a negative connotation. (**who writes this shit?**) The negative attitude towards day trading culminated in a shooting spree at an Atlanta day trading office, where Mark Barton killed 12 people and injured 13 more after losing an estimated $105,000 in day trading over a two month period.

The Barton incident convinced many people that day trading was so stressful it could convince an otherwise ordinary man to commit mass murder.

Day trading as a profession took another hit when, two weeks after the Barton shootings, the North American Securities Administrators Association released a report stating that 7 out of 10 day traders lose everything. They don’t just lose money overall – they lose everything they’ve invested."
View Quote

Another reason I don’t trade. The tax implications can be huge. The wash sale shit was a big eye opener for me.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:04:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Yes…please detail this.

Like right fucking now.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be clear, I'm not condoning any sort of tax fraud here. I guess its more of a conundrum of pay now or pay later. I owe a cool 15k this year which is more than I have stuffed under the mattress at the moment.

Are these long term capital gains?  There are very large deductions and loopholes for long term.

Go on....

Yes…please detail this.

Like right fucking now.

Long term capital gains taxes are very generous for stocks, ETFs and real estate, if you meet certain requirements. Generally, the first $40k, per year is 0% tax and a $250k exemption every few years.  In most cases, long term capital gains are taxed much lower than normal income tax.
I'm not a cpa, nor did I stay at a holiday inn last night.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:05:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Where'd the bull mask go Spidey?
View Quote

Is my avatar fixed!!!???
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:07:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Well now you’re in danger territory and wash sale rule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The worst part of this is that it was preventable on my part. I used my gains to chase moar gains which... doesnt always work out the way one would like.

No, I know all about wash sales and I dont use a shit brokerage so they account for these automatically.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:11:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Long term capital gains taxes are very generous for stocks, ETFs and real estate, if you meet certain requirements. Generally, the first $40k, per year is 0% tax and a $250k exemption every few years.  In most cases, long term capital gains are taxed much lower than normal income tax.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
To be clear, I'm not condoning any sort of tax fraud here. I guess its more of a conundrum of pay now or pay later. I owe a cool 15k this year which is more than I have stuffed under the mattress at the moment.

Are these long term capital gains?  There are very large deductions and loopholes for long term.

Go on....

Yes…please detail this.

Like right fucking now.

Cool. Yet more reason to pay a long term money mgmt firm with long term tax planning.

Mine has me doing weird shit that makes no sense. But it’s not my job to second guess them. Only to understand why. That’s why I pay them.

You don’t hire a pro only to tell that damned professional he’s doing it wrong based on a few google searches.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:15:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No, I know all about wash sales and I dont use a shit brokerage so they account for these automatically.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The worst part of this is that it was preventable on my part. I used my gains to chase moar gains which... doesnt always work out the way one would like.

Good. Like I said I don’t trade.

Yet here you are worried about a 15k tax bill. Sell some shit, pay stcg, and learn your lesson.

I repeat, you don’t want the IRS on your ass. They can levy your shit. File amended return, with a pro, and pay your shit by October.

If you have a 15k tax liability you’re moving decent money. Not something you want to do yourself. Taxes that is.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:24:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Since the IRS knows all, why don’t they just tell you what you owe?  Then you can whittle that down with your deductions and submit your return.  

Why this stupid game of having you take a stab at telling them what you owe and hope they agree?  I know, it’s always just been that way but it’s pretty stupid really.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Since the IRS knows all, why don’t they just tell you what you owe?  Then you can whittle that down with your deductions and submit your return.  

Why this stupid game of having you take a stab at telling them what you owe and hope they agree?  I know, it’s always just been that way but it’s pretty stupid really.
View Quote

Tax brackets are pretty straight forward. Its not a guessing game, it just that taxes in and of themselves are a thing of fuckery.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:38:21 PM EDT
[#11]
If you fix it BEFORE the current year filing deadline, you will file what is known as a superseding return. It essentially replaces the original return and becomes the return of record. Because you are filing a second Form 1040, you have to file in on paper-you can't e-file two 1040's for the same tax year.

If you wait until after the filing deadline, you will be filing an amended return, which is just a change to the return of record. An amended return, which is done with IRS Form 1040X can be e-filed in the same tax year a Form 1040 was e-filed.

Either way, your tax liability is due by the filing deadline, even if you had filed an extension (it''s too late to file an extension now, as you've already filed a return), and you'll owe penalties and interest from April 18th (19th in MA and ME).

You can ask the IRS to make a payment arrangement, though you will likely have fees to set it up (unless you plan to pay it off within a few months) and you will accrue interest until the debt is paid in full.

You may be able to get the IRS to abate, or waive, the penalties if you qualify for First Time Penalty Abatemennt.

<---Admitted to practice before the IRS as an Enrolled Agent
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:39:43 PM EDT
[#12]
If you're talking less than a hundred bucks, they probably wouldn't bother collecting (but no guarantee).  If you forgot, just file an amended return and claim it.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 7:56:58 PM EDT
[#13]
NH taxes interest and dividends. I just got notified that I owe from 2018.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:30:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bruh, everyone taxes dividends.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:32:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, not all states do. There are eight states with no income tax, at all. New Hampshire does not have an income tax on wages, but does have a state income tax on dividends and interest.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:32:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I've played this game and lost enough times.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:35:43 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Lets assume someone forgot to import their brokerage statements into their tax filing. Is there any way this goes unnoticed by the IRS? Are you only postponing the inevitable by a year or two?
View Quote
you know that you can amend your filling …
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:40:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I personally think everyone should just stop paying federal taxes but whatever
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:42:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Actually, not all states do. There are eight states with no income tax, at all. New Hampshire does not have an income tax on wages, but does have a state income tax on dividends and interest.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tax expert has entered the game.

My guys have me doing wonky shit, and it’s all about state taxes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:44:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

FPNI...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Firs

FPNI...

Agreed...
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:46:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lets assume someone forgot to import their brokerage statements into their tax filing. Is there any way this goes unnoticed by the IRS? Are you only postponing the inevitable by a year or two?
View Quote

I can tell you that it will definitely be logged into your IRS file.  It’s possible it may already be there.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:52:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

You aren’t saving any money by doing your taxes yourself. In fact, you’re fucking yourself.

DIY taxes are a recipie for disaster unless you’re just W2
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if you amend one years, does that throw up red flags for the future? Do they probe (hehe) your stuff even harder if you file an amendment one year out of the 15 years you've been filing taxes total? Does it automatically get more eyes on you?

This person completely forgot they used Robin Hood as a broker and only found the 1099 availability in the spam email.

You aren’t saving any money by doing your taxes yourself. In fact, you’re fucking yourself.

Not at all correct.  You just need to know what you are doing.  There is NOTHING a CPA does for me (beyond peace of mind), and my taxes are somewhat complex.  Tax advisement is a totally different thing than tax preparation.  If you own a business, having tax advisement on ensuring you are writing off as much as you can against business income will pay for itself.  

But for most Americans with W2, rental property, and investments, the online tax preparation is sufficient.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:52:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
They know. Its filled by your brokerage co. To The IRS.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 8:53:58 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Go on....

Yes…please detail this.

Like right fucking now.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:05:33 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

We can tell.

It's not that the first $40k in long term capital gains is subject to 0% tax. It's that long-term capital gains (those gains on investments help for a year or more) are generally taxed at preferential tax rates (0, 15, o 20%), which are based on the taxpayer's marginal tax rate. If the taxpayer's marginal rate is 0, 10, or 12%, they are taxed at 0% on long-term capital gains. Of course, those marginal tax rates depend on filing status and taxable income.

The $250,000 exemption you're refering to (I assume, as it's the only thing which logically makes sense) is the ability for a taxpayer to exclude up to $250,000 in capital gains on the sale of a home, if they meet the requirements-one of which is the residency test, whcih requires the taxpayer to have lived in the home for 24 months of the last five years. For married couples filing a joint return, they may exclude up to $500,000 in capital gains on the sale of a home.

You are right when you said "In most cases, long term capital gains are taxed much lower than normal income tax." The exception being collectibles, as they are always taxed at 28%, not the usual 0, 15, or 20% rate of other long-term capital gains.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:28:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well now you’re in danger territory a
and wash sale rule.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well now you’re in danger territory a
and wash sale rule.

Not on a gain FFS....
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:30:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So if you amend one years, does that throw up red flags for the future? Do they probe (hehe) your stuff even harder if you file an amendment one year out of the 15 years you've been filing taxes total? Does it automatically get more eyes on you?

This person completely forgot they used Robin Hood as a broker and only found the 1099 availability in the spam email.

Or if you are retarded and don't understand shit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:31:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Simple answer, no.  Longer answer, I really don't know.

The IRS has set activity requirements for every type of 1099.  Brokerage services will probably go one step further and report any activity to the IRS, even if it is below the reporting threshold.  The brokerage firm will be reporting to the IRS electronically - the IRS will computer match.  It is close to 100% certainty they will know.  No human will be involved in sending out the notice and tax bill, it is all automatic.

Now for the I don't know part.  I have not actively prepared returns professionally for about 10 years.  Reporting has changed a bit over that time, and I honestly don't know exactly what is being reported - if anything it is more information not less.  That might be in your favor.  In the past, the 1099-B's only reported gross proceeds.  As such the IRS would know about a sale, but not the basis in the stock.  They would adjust your return as if the entire gross proceeds was gain.  Since 2012, brokerage firms were required to report basis on 1099-B's.  So at least there is a chance the IRS will only adjust your return for the net gain you failed to report, not the entire basis.  That said, I really don't know - when I still prepared returns as a CPA, the 1099-B's were not always accurate in reporting basis (often they did not have complete information), and could also fail to take into consideration wash sales (extremely common in day trading).  Perhaps the system works better now.  When I retired, the basis information was mostly for the recipients use not the IRS's.

The IRS can really get it's panties in a wad over day traders.  The numbers can be huge.  I had a client with several trillion dollars of day trading over the course of a year.  The IRS sent a Federal Agent (not an IRS agent) to his house.  Due to his method of day trading, almost all of the trading was wash sales - no gain/loss till until he was out of the position with the stock for 90 days (he would buy and sell the same stock several to many times in a single day, usually in 100k blocks).  I forget most data - but I think his 1099-B was over 300 pages long.  
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:35:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

We can tell.

It's not that the first $40k in long term capital gains is subject to 0% tax. It's that long-term capital gains (those gains on investments help for a year or more) are generally taxed at preferential tax rates (0, 15, o 20%), which are based on the taxpayer's marginal tax rate. If the taxpayer's marginal rate is 0, 10, or 12%, they are taxed at 0% on long-term capital gains. Of course, those marginal tax rates depend on filing status and taxable income.

The $250,000 exemption you're refering to (I assume, as it's the only thing which logically makes sense) is the ability for a taxpayer to exclude up to $250,000 in capital gains on the sale of a home, if they meet the requirements-one of which is the residency test, whcih requires the taxpayer to have lived in the home for 24 months of the last five years. For married couples filing a joint return, they may exclude up to $500,000 in capital gains on the sale of a home.

You are right when you said "In most cases, long term capital gains are taxed much lower than normal income tax." The exception being collectibles, as they are always taxed at 28%, not the usual 0, 15, or 20% rate of other long-term capital gains.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We can tell.

That's all I was trying to say.   If OPs are long term, then the taxes due may not be as bad as he thinks.   If they are not that type, then obviously that don't apply but maybe they could have been if OP had known of the tax advantages available for long term capital gains.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:36:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

I’d go toe to toe with any government agency . . . except the IRS.  They will destroy you.  You will owe interest + penalties.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:38:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Blue Horseshoe loves Anacott Steel.

View Quote

Black cock loves white ass.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:40:16 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote
still need to file, or they can get you for tax evasion.

They have a what if I can't pay thing
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-offers-options-to-help-taxpayers-who-cant-pay

Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Your Stock Broker:
Attachment Attached File

OP:
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 9:56:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Not at all correct.  You just need to know what you are doing.  There is NOTHING a CPA does for me (beyond peace of mind), and my taxes are somewhat complex.  Tax advisement is a totally different thing than tax preparation.  If you own a business, having tax advisement on ensuring you are writing off as much as you can against business income will pay for itself.  

But for most Americans with W2, rental property, and investments, the online tax preparation is sufficient.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Disagree. State tax planning.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:07:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

For which I don't have any.  Just because something applies to you, does not mean it is applicable to others.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:10:36 PM EDT
[#36]
They'll notice, and probably send it back telling you to fix your shit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:17:21 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

You can file an amended tax return and not get into trouble
Link Posted: 2/20/2022 10:25:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

For which I don't have any.  Just because something applies to you, does not mean it is applicable to others.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that’s the fucking truth. My tax plan is not yours, yours is not mine,

But just viewing taxes as only a year thing is failure on tax planning. Federal and state.
Link Posted: 2/21/2022 2:39:18 PM EDT
[#39]
One bright side - the computer matching is fast enough, if you thought you were getting a refund, they will probably be able to reduce/stop that from happening.  Applying an over payment - forget about it.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top