Posted: 7/12/2022 6:02:46 PM EDT
Crazy how fast things turn sideways.

Capitol Gorge flash flood rescue June 23rd 2022
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:10:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Darwin almost won.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Stupid can kill at the least expected time.

Be prepared.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:14:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Maybe it's just me but I thought it was pretty stupid of him to keep driving when the rain was coming down. I don't live in the desert but even I know that desert flash floods happened quickly and fast before you know it
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:15:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Frankly, lots of stupidity and foolishness in that video.  I'm glad no one got killed, but people have to educate themselves better.

Kinda reminds me of the tsunami videos where the ocean pulls back hundreds of feet, and people move forward towards the pullback, curious and blissfully ignorant of what's coming.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:15:17 PM EDT
[#5]
I was driving that road just 5 days earlier.  

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I watched this yesterday.

Crazy shit right there.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:24:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I was riding Amasa back in Moab one time when it started pouring rain.

We staryed noticing all these waterfalls forming all over the different canyon walls and terrace levels.
It was one of the most incredible things I have ever witnessed.
The flow of some of these instant rivers red in color from the rock.
I am glad I was near the top of the route and not down below.

We went the next day to capitol reef area.
You could see it had torrentially rained there as well.
It looked like the hills, canyon walls had melted towards the road.  Really weird.
Basically what happened to the people in the video I watched happen thankfully from a much higher elevated position.

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 6:40:55 PM EDT
[#8]
Damn, blue SUV had the windows open when a wave hit it.  Glad they made it out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:02:08 PM EDT
[#9]
He should have left his wife in the creekbed
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I witnessed a flash flood first hand while hiking at Mt. St. Helens. Roar first, then 1-2 foot of water. It was fast and powerful. Scary stuff there.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Was there about 8-9 months ago.  I hate the YouTube generation and kids would have drove me crazy, but cool video to show just how quickly things go sideways.  When I saw that sedan floating backwards, I would have been certain death was coming when they hit the rocks and water covered the car.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:15:25 PM EDT
[#12]
He'd never have been in that situation if the rangers had checked for man cards prior to allowing entry.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:18:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Little bit of a drama queen huh?
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:33:10 PM EDT
[#14]
Having driven the road in, how in the H did he think it was a good idea to try and drive out ?
Passed plenty of high spots to wait it out and he was just lucky in the spot he got stuck that the water didn't come up another foot.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:34:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Yikes...they got lucky.

Always check the weather reports for flash flooding when planning to spend time in slot canyons. Weather radios are good to have on hand for that as well.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:37:23 PM EDT
[#16]
"We began to get concerned and alarmed!"

.....is literally the last person to go to his vehicle and the last out of the parking lot.  Literally films everyone else evacuating, before getting his wife and children into the vehicle and slllloooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy driving out of the danger area (or, rather, attempting to).

Darwin parted this dude's hair, that day.  Sadly, his kids would have shared his fate.

Shades of the Death Valley Germans.

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:38:41 PM EDT
[#17]
About 6:30 you see a new suburban go for a ride from the apron of the parking lot.
2022 MC5 High Adventure - Flash Flooding in Capitol Reef

Here is where it and one of the pickups came to rest.  @ about 18 seconds in the video.
Some Capitol Reef roads remain closed due to flash floods

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:41:40 PM EDT
[#18]
Glad they made it.  I hate boxed canyons and rain.  As soon as that storm hit, my ass would have been leaving right fast.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:43:57 PM EDT
[#19]
He saved his truck, but put his family at significant risk in the process.  I think he should have had an eye out for higher ground, and sooner.  He marooned his truck on that little hill, and it's just luck the water didn't get high enough to wash them away.  Sure, his truck might not have been able to get to safer higher ground, but there were places where they could have done so on foot.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#20]
He has no ability to unstick his own truck a basic jack and some stuff under the tires and he is out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 7:54:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Having driven the road in, how in the H did he think it was a good idea to try and drive out ?
Passed plenty of high spots to wait it out and he was just lucky in the spot he got stuck that the water didn't come up another foot.
View Quote

It might have been a good idea if he'd done it much sooner.  But they waited way too long to try to drive out.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:08:56 PM EDT
[#22]
That narration was horrid. 20 minutes could have been condensed to 3 instead.

I lost brain cells watching that.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#23]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was driving that road just 5 days earlier.  

View Quote

It was closed on June 20 when I was there due to two days of rain previously.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:39:29 PM EDT
[#24]
I can smell the sagebrush...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top