Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Posted: 1/4/2022 12:20:20 PM EDT
'Wolfpack' Navy helicopter pilot becomes the FIRST woman to command a US nuclear-powered aircraft carrier as USS Abraham Lincoln sets sail for western Pacific

A Navy helicopter pilot has become the first woman to command a US nuclear-powered aircraft carrier on deployment.

Capt. Amy Bauernschmidt, commanding officer of the USS Abraham Lincoln, set sail for the western Pacific from San Diego on Monday after nine months of training exercises.

'This is an amazing day,' she said. 'They are going to do exceptional work out there, and I just can't wait to watch them succeed.'

The deployment comes after five sailors were killed during training in September when their helicopter crashed into the carrier's flight deck and tumbled into the sea.

Bauernschmidt, who came through the ranks flying helicopters, had only been in command 12 days when the tragedy struck.

'It is always a tough experience and no one is prepared for something like that - everyone deals with it in their own way,' she said. 'It was a tough day that none of us will ever forget.'

Capt. Amy Bauernschmidt (addressing sailors on Monday), commanding officer of the USS Abraham Lincoln, set sail for the western Pacific from San Diego on Monday after nine months of training and work-ups

Captain Amy Bauernschmidt, commanding officer of the U.S. Navy aircraft carrier USS Abraham Lincoln

'That law absolutely changed my life,' Bauernschmidt told CBS News in 2018. 'We were the first class that graduated knowing and feeling honored with the privilege to be able to go serve along the rest of our comrades in combat.

'There are a lot of times in life that you're a little nervous or afraid to do something, 'cause you think you're gonna fail. Well, so what? I mean… what's the worst that's gonna happen if I fail?' Bauernschmidt said. 'You know, If you fail you get up and you may realize in that failure that what you're really meant to do is something else.'

She received her wings as a naval aviator in 1996 and flew with the Helicopter Ant-submarine Squadron Light (HSL) 45 'Wolfpack' in San Diego.

She also deployed with the destroyer USS John Young as part of maritime operations in the Northern Arabian Gulf.

Later, she was chosen to command Helicopter Maritime Strike Squadron (HSM) 70, supporting Operation Enduring Freedom aboard the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush.

Bauernschmidt has accumulated more than 3,000 flight hours in naval helicopters aboard various aircraft carriers throughout her career and has served in areas from Alaska to Southwest Asia according to her Navy biography.

Bauernschmidt is currently the commanding officer of the amphibious transport dock ship USS San Diego.

'I hope that I'm a good leader and a mentor to both men and women in the service,' Bauernschmidt said.

Service is about 'contributing to something greater than yourself,' Bauernschmidt told CBS News.

'For me, it is about supporting and defending the Constitution of the United States. But it's also about these young men and women that I lead every day,' she said. 'They're pretty awesome.'

More
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:22:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Going from commanding a transport dock ship to a nuclear carrier seems like an odd career path. I hope she does right by her sailors.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:22:58 PM EDT
[#2]
But dem crazy eyes doe.  And looks a bit manly….
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank God. Our long national nightmare is at an end.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:25:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I have no doubt she was far more qualified than any male sailor
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:26:08 PM EDT
[#5]
Pics of her wife?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:26:36 PM EDT
[#6]
How long before she runs it into the curb?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:26:50 PM EDT
[#7]
In a honest world I’d assume she must be the best of the best and a super badass woman to have that job, however in clown world I’m assuming just the opposite, that she’s risen mainly just because she’s female, in spite of problems and sub par performance that would destroy any male wanna be captains  career day 1.

hopefully I’m wrong and she doesn’t wreck a multi billion dollar ship with 5000 sailors on board.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:27:13 PM EDT
[#8]
The CCP/PLAN have got to be absolutely shitting themselves laughing by now.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Insert "that's a man, baby!" Image here
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#10]
I guess prayers up that she remembers to tell someone if the check engine light comes on.

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:29:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In a honest world I’d assume she must be the best of the best to have that job, however in clown world I’m assuming just the opposite, that she’s risen because she’s female, in spite of problems that would destroy any mans career day 1.

hopefully I’m wrong and she doesn’t wreck a multi billion dollar ship with 5000 sailors on board.
View Quote

Agreed.

And…….I have 2 daughters in the USN. And they would agree.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:29:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Good for her. Next step is commanding a CSG as a one star.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:32:03 PM EDT
[#13]
She'll be sideways in the Suez canal, blocking traffic for days, in no time
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:32:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Crazy eyes and that’s a dude.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:33:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Hopefully she’s a good skipper and does right by her crew.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:33:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Go girl photo op of cutting the cake?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:33:47 PM EDT
[#17]
'There are a lot of times in life that you're a little nervous or afraid to do something, 'cause you think you're gonna fail. Well, so what? I mean what's the worst that's gonna happen if I fail?'

Spoken like a true warrior

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:33:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

A lot can happen if you fail commanding a nuclear powered aircraft carrier…
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
'There are a lot of times in life that you're a little nervous or afraid to do something, 'cause you think you're gonna fail. Well, so what? I mean what's the worst that's gonna happen if I fail?'

Spoken like a true warrior

View Quote

Ask Kara Hultgreen.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#20]
Hopefully not the first to crash a nuclear carrier.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#21]
View Quote
5,000 (or fewer) sailors end up treading water and the chicoms own the U.S. that much sooner?

I hope she was given command because she was the best choice, but that's not my first assumption.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:36:38 PM EDT
[#22]
How many kills does she have?
And what's up with the Navy camo? Is that so when they go overboard no one can find them in the frothy ocean?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#23]
Well hopefully this is a PR stunt and someone that actually went up through the ranks in a carrier has his hand up her ass.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:37:01 PM EDT
[#24]
At least she's an actual biological female.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Going from commanding a transport dock ship to a nuclear carrier seems like an odd career path. I hope she does right by her sailors.
View Quote

LPDs are dead draft amphib that are major commands.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:38:32 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hopefully not the first to crash a nuclear carrier.
View Quote

It doesn't matter if she does. The Navy will just find her a nice do nothing billet and call it a promotion, shitcan the senior officers on the carrier, and put another woman in command of a carrier.

Women can't fail in the new military, and even if they do, they don't.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:38:37 PM EDT
[#28]
She’ll run it out of gas before it gets anywhere.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:38:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have no doubt she was far more qualified than any male sailor
View Quote
This is the true legacy of Affirmative Action and the woke mentality.
For those who've truly earned their place, it's a sad thing indeed.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:39:13 PM EDT
[#30]
"She" looks like a dude
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:39:24 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

Will probably be a bigger asshole than a male Capt.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:39:59 PM EDT
[#32]
How does a chopper pilot qualify to run a carrier?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:40:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Thank God. Our long national nightmare is at an end.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Agreed.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In a honest world I’d assume she must be the best of the best to have that job, however in clown world I’m assuming just the opposite, that she’s risen because she’s female, in spite of problems that would destroy any mans career day 1.

Agreed.

Let us hope her rise to command wasn’t arbitrary and capricious. If so, God be with those that our military has decided to trust their lives to.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:42:08 PM EDT
[#35]
A helicopter pilot commanding a CVN? I thought the zoomies would zealously guard that for themselves.

Kharn
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:42:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote
But she is white. Female is not good enough.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:43:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

This; that's not an odd career path, that's the career path to becoming a carrier CO.  Winged aviator, squadron command as an O5, selection for the carrier pipeline, carrier XO, deep draft amphib CO, carrier CO.  ETA: Oh, and nuclear power school, well after you've forgotten all the math you learned in HS and college.

Quoted:
A helicopter pilot commanding a CVN? I thought the zoomies would zealously guard that for themselves.

Kharn

Her peer and USNA classmate, CAPT Brent Gaut, current CO of the USS George Washington, is also a helo pilot (SH-60Bs).  He's a personal friend and one of the best individuals you'll ever meet.

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
That used to be a no-go.
Her primary qualification is being a female.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:44:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Six months from now the carrier will be covered in dings and scrapes from shopping carts.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:45:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Guilty
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:46:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
That used to be a no-go.
Her primary qualification is being a female.
View Quote

From my understanding it is unusual for a rotary wing aviator to get a CVN, and they normally will get a LHA/D for their major command
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I believe they like to give aviators a smaller ship command before they give them a carrier
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:48:26 PM EDT
[#43]
LOL....so 3000 hours in a Helo makes you qualified to lead a whole fucking Carrier?

This is clown world.

I have a tremendous amount of time on the water piloting boats of all kind, this is ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:49:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I believe they like to give aviators a smaller ship command before they give them a carrier
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

She should be deck hand on a YTB before being the fuckin captain of a Nuke Carrier
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:49:23 PM EDT
[#45]

There are a lot of times in life that you're a little nervous or afraid to do something, 'cause you think you're gonna fail. Well, so what? I mean… what's the worst that's gonna happen if I fail?' Bauernschmidt said. 'You know, If you fail you get up and you may realize in that failure that what you're really meant to do is something else.'
View Quote

The deployment comes after five sailors were killed during training in September when their helicopter crashed into the carrier's flight deck and tumbled into the sea.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:49:56 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because they are naval aviators? Only naval aviators can command a carrier, its federal law and dates back to the 30’s.
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:50:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Being a Naval Aviator, squadron commander, X.O. of the same carrier, and C.O. of this?

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:51:04 PM EDT
[#48]
Is there legit reasons why people with zero interest in this are mad or are we just doing our normal knee jerk reaction?

I am more offended my those navy blue cammies than anything.

Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Six months from now the carrier will be covered in dings and scrapes from shopping carts.
View Quote

Do the guys who resurface rims also do hulls?
Link Posted: 1/4/2022 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top