Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:22:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
@07Commander

Wanna have a really slow race?  Fair warning though.  Mine is packing the mighty L98!

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:26:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Its all about how much traction you get from a stop. They will seem slow if you floor it and spin your tires for several seconds
View Quote

Fast and quick aren't the same thing.

Hellcats are both though, running 8s with minimal mods
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:28:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

It’s extremely fun.

You can use more/all of the car on public roads without ending up in handcuffs or a body bag.
View Quote

You can do that in a WRX too and have a fun, torque filled motor. The difference in driving those two as a daily driver is staggering.

And no one is using "all" of a BRZ on the road either, because if you truly are maxing it out you are still driving way over the legal limits and would be stopped just as fast as the guy doing it in a car that's actually fun to drive.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:29:07 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Fieros

SN-95 Mustangs

Fox Body Mustangs

C4 Corvettes

Late C3 Corvettes
View Quote

I had an 84 Fiero..................despite the engine size, it was pretty fast for what it was...........
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:30:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
MR2 spyder
View Quote

I have a buddy that has one. What he lacks in hp he makes up in handling. Little thing feels like a go cart on rails
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:34:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Early mode Vipers
View Quote

A 1994 Viper has a top speed of 184 and a 0-60 time of 4.6 seconds.

Neither of those are bad, even today
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:35:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Nearly everyone is applying current standards to cars that were plenty quick in their day,by relative standards. This is dumb.

Nothing was very fast at the bottom of the fuel economy and more strict emissions era.
View Quote

That's the joke.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:36:49 AM EDT
[#8]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Basically all Corvettes prior to 1998.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:41:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nearly everyone is applying current standards to cars that were plenty quick in their day,by relative standards. This is dumb.

Nothing was very fast at the bottom of the fuel economy and more strict emissions era.
View Quote

People blame it on emissions or fuel standards, but it's really about how far computers and EFI have come.

Early EFI was trash.  Modern EFI, Wideband O2 sensors, new injectors, and modern ignition are magical.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:41:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Chevrolet Celebrity Eurosport VR...140hp V6:

View Quote

Girlfriend and I rented a Chevy Eurosport to drive across the Rockies back in the day.
It barely made it up the hills.

We called it the Zerosport.

GM is a national embarrassment.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:41:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Knight Industries Two Thousand (aka KITT)

1982 Pontiac Firebird Trans Am - V8 (145 horsepower / Zero-to-60 mph = 9.2 seconds)

https://www.goldeagle.com/tips-tools/1982-pontiac-trans-am-from-the-tv-show-knight-rider/

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:43:11 AM EDT
[#12]
How this hasn't been mentioned yet, is beyond me. Anything short of a ripsnortin' V8 and a manual is heresy, so of course Plymouth chose a 240hp V6 and a craptastic "AutoStick" tranny.

And the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice. These two were also yearning for V8s, or a turbo V6, maybe turbo 4 but noooo, they had to be castrated with NA 4-bangers.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:47:18 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

People blame it on emissions or fuel standards, but it's really about how far computers and EFI have come.

Early EFI was trash.  Modern EFI, Wideband O2 sensors, new injectors, and modern ignition are magical.
View Quote
For sure.  The emissions did some weird stuff to car design though.  My C4 up there will run damned hot on a mid summer day. 230F coolant temps are a thing if you get stuck in a grid lock for a long time.  

The fan doesn't even kick on until 228F and the auxiliary fan doesn't wake up until 238F. I have seen mine hit 240F when it was emission testing on the rollers and they didn't put their big ass blower fan in front of it (even though I asked them too....).

Chevy says it isn't over heating until 260F.

A very common thing in C4 groups is new people freaking out that their car is getting into the 230s when they are idling or in traffic for a long time on a hot day.  The standard response is to tell them to calm down, it's normal and they are supposed to do that.

All to pass emissions standards.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:47:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Hyundai Tiburon. This was my 07. I had tons of people always ask what it was and how fast it was.https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/322183/tibby1_zps7251b691_jpg-1588485.JPG
View Quote

Well, you do have a couple stickers in the window... that add's 25hp per sticker by default, right?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 10:59:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.  My wife had one just like the one pictured. Nicely appointed high option car, beautiful sleek body lines, road and drove great. Unless of course you wanted to go fast or quick. 2.3L was just not enough to make it a performance car.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/47839/1987-ford-thunderbird-turbo-coupe-no-res-1588472.JPG
View Quote

For what it's worth, the automatic version was limited to 145hp while the 5spd had 190hp.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:05:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How this hasn't been mentioned yet, is beyond me. Anything short of a ripsnortin' V8 and a manual is heresy, so of course Plymouth chose a 240hp V6 and a craptastic "AutoStick" tranny.

https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/1999_plymouth_prowler_155595956723891c3e7bebIMG_5313.jpeg?fit=940%2C632

And the Saturn Sky/Pontiac Solstice. These two were also yearning for V8s, or a turbo V6, maybe turbo 4 but noooo, they had to be castrated with NA 4-bangers.

https://i.postimg.cc/Pf6F4rB6/374-main-l.jpg
View Quote

These are legitimately good candidates for this thread.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:08:37 AM EDT
[#18]
Not technically a car, but falls into the same “looks fast/isn’t fast” criteria

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:09:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:10:13 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Not technically a car, but falls into the same "looks fast/isn't fast" criteria

https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/1990_chevrolet_454_ss_truck_1546557256e915c25514IMG_1498.jpg?fit=940%2C627
View Quote

When people reminisce about how "awesome" old trucks were I think of the 200hp 454 in that turd and laugh.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
"Smokey & The Bandit" is a childhood favorite of ours. My wife and I watch it at least once a year.
I can remember being really surprised when I read the performance numbers on The Bandit's car.
View Quote

I found out first hand a friend of mine had a Bandit '77 Trans Am as hus first car in high school. 455 and all. My Honda Accord could keep up with it

Still a cool car though.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Why do people keep citing cars that DON'T look fast and aren't?
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:19:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thing is that those were easy to make real power out of. Just junk the smog equipment and do a cam swap.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1979 Pontiac Trans Am. 185 HP out of a 403.

Thing is that those were easy to make real power out of. Just junk the smog equipment and do a cam swap.
Very true.  The same could be said about a lot of cars from that era.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:19:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Not technically a car, but falls into the same “looks fast/isn’t fast” criteria

https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/1990_chevrolet_454_ss_truck_1546557256e915c25514IMG_1498.jpg?fit=940%2C627
View Quote

It still blows my mind how so little power could be made from so much displacement
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#25]
Polaris Slingshots
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:24:31 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

IROC's only came with the 350.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1980's IROC camaros with the 305 engine.

IROC's only came with the 350.

No, they didnt. Manuals could only be had with the 305.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:29:10 AM EDT
[#27]
It wasn't just late 70's and early 80's GM products that were designed and built poorly. All of the domestics were known to be mostly junk. That's when Honda and Toyota really started getting popular. People wanted a car that didn't get 8 mpg and fall apart within two years.

I had a 1981 Grand Prix with the Buick 3.8L V6. Man, that thing was a dog performance-wise. Specs say it had only 110 hp. And it was heavy especially for a two door coupe. The V8 option had less than 150 hp. Such was the times following the post-embargo era.

I had a 1986 Nissan Pulsar with the 5 speed. It had the Sentra-carbed engine that made 69 hp. Even with the 5 speed, it was slower than molasses. It did get good gas mileage, though. With another 40 hp, it might have been fun to drive.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

You can do that in a WRX too and have a fun, torque filled motor. The difference in driving those two as a daily driver is staggering.

And no one is using "all" of a BRZ on the road either, because if you truly are maxing it out you are still driving way over the legal limits and would be stopped just as fast as the guy doing it in a car that's actually fun to drive.
View Quote

Not really considering the FRS/BRZ is slower than a minivan.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:39:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Those heavy ass mopar hellcats
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:40:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:50:52 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s extremely fun.

You can use more/all of the car on public roads without ending up in handcuffs or a body bag.

With all of the differences between the Miata and the WRX, engine output is probably the least important distinction when it comes to daily driving.

A WRX is a car that normal people can use as a four seasons daily driver. Using a Miata as a daily driver is about as close as it gets to using a motorcycle as a daily driver while still having a "roof" available.

You can't go 10/10ths in a BRZ most of the time, but you can still use more of the car and push it a lot harder than most sports/performance cars without getting into trouble.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 11:57:26 AM EDT
[#32]
I bought one of these new back in '78. It was neither fast nor well-made. V6 manual transmission. Roofs leaked like sieves. Took it to Germany with me and sold it over there since they were rarely seen. Brought home an '80 Saab 900 Turbo.

Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:00:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

With all of the differences between the Miata and the WRX, engine output is probably the least important distinction when it comes to daily driving.

A WRX is a car that normal people can use as a four seasons daily driver. Using a Miata as a daily driver is about as close as it gets to using a motorcycle as a daily driver while still having a "roof" available.

You can't go 10/10ths in a BRZ most of the time, but you can still use more of the car and push it a lot harder than most sports/performance cars without getting into trouble.
View Quote

My wife drives an 86 and I’ve driven it a handful of times. It looks fantastic, it handles like it’s on rails, but it is sorely lacking in hp and feels sluggish even compared to my truck. She could care less though and loves the car, that’s all that matters to those that drive them.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:02:08 PM EDT
[#34]
I really wanted a Saab 900 Turbo when I was in high school. Looking at the specs, they really weren't that quick at all, even for the turbo model. I don't remember if they were reliable.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:03:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

“Are we really doing a hundred and ten?! We’re doing a hundred and ten!” (Speedometer showing 65)
View Quote

To be fair, 65 is like 110 kmh.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:05:28 PM EDT
[#36]

I had a MB C32 that dynoed at 401 hp after a pulley kit and a tune, and that crossfire used the same motor, and IIRC was lighter, so it should be fairly quick...
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:12:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I really wanted a Saab 900 Turbo when I was in high school. Looking at the specs, they really weren't that quick at all, even for the turbo model. I don't remember if they were reliable.
View Quote

I don't think anything made by Saab has ever been reliable.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:17:08 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

https://i.postimg.cc/Pf6F4rB6/374-main-l.jpg
View Quote

Ironically that picture is a Sky Redline, which came with the 260hp 2.0L Turbo 4-banger.  We had a Soltice GXP, which was Pontiac's version of the turbo upgrade model.  Not the quickest thing I've owned, but it was still a fun little ride.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

In my AO back in the day, they were rare and known to be quirky. Probably why I wanted one. They were unique.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:24:01 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I don't think anything made by Saab has ever looked like it'd be fast

Quoted:

I had a MB C32 that dynoed at 401 hp after a pulley kit and a tune, and that crossfire used the same motor, and IIRC was lighter, so it should be fairly quick...

The SRT-6 could do over 150 and was pretty light for the output at the time. Wouldn't really call it slow, unless you are talking just base models-in which case I don't think that's really what this thread is about.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:25:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
1979 Pontiac Trans Am. 185 HP out of a 403.

What happened to performance cars in the late 70's was sad, but it was more the fault of the government than the cars.

The later 2nd gen Trans Ams were just detuned versions of the early 70's models. If you weren't completely helpless, all you had to do was look at those for a blueprint of how to correct the problem.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:26:17 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:29:36 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Everyone remembers the malaise era cars were dogs. That’s not controversial.

But the muscle cars from the golden days were a lot slower than most people remember. Damn near everything except for the really rare stuff would lose to a V6 Camry in a straight line and it would be an absolute ass whipping if turns were involved.
View Quote

Everything you speak of can be corrected with some modern components.

Better performing or not, there are no components to correct the fact that you are driving a Camry.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:29:42 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:31:34 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Fiat X1/9
View Quote

Yup. I know this from sad experience.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:35:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Coming from a motorcycle guy, ALL cars are slow until you start talking supercharged big blocks and quarter million dollar supercars. The supercharged big blocks run close to a bike when set up for drags and the super cars can sort of hang up to about 180 and then a few will pull a few mph on you if you have miles of clear road.... which isn’t often.

Cars to a fast motorcycle guy are like the fat kid that gets a slow go kart. And they lean the wrong way into corners.
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:37:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Coming from a motorcycle guy, ALL cars are slow until you start talking supercharged big blocks and quarter million dollar supercars. The supercharged big blocks run close to a bike when set up for drags and the super cars can sort of hang up to about 180 and then a few will pull a few mph on you if you have miles of clear road.... which isn’t often.

Cars to a fast motorcycle guy are like the fat kid that gets a slow go kart. And they lean the wrong way into corners.
View Quote

But you don't get killed by grass clippings in a car
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:40:17 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:42:15 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
@07Commander

Wanna have a really slow race?  Fair warning though.  Mine is packing the mighty L98!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/351202/20190912_172021-1389146.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
@07Commander

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/351202/20190912_172021-1389146.jpg

Aww shit! I just have a L-48 auto but I did convert to EFI so it won’t choke up off the line. ??
Link Posted: 9/12/2020 12:43:23 PM EDT
[#50]
Any 60s-90s muscle car
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top