BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/24/2024 5:57:59 PM EDT
Is it worth it? Thoughts and opinions.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 5:59:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes if you do it yourself but keep in mind there’s a lot of prep work to do. Paying someone a couple of grand, ehhh no it’s not
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:00:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes.  

Make sure to spring for the vin etching and nitrogen tire fill as well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:01:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Really depends on you and the car. If you're going to flip it, why bother? If you're going to keep it forever, are you willing to spend thousands every few years to keep it looking new?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ATLDiver:
Yes if you do it yourself but keep in mind there’s a lot of prep work to do. Paying someone a couple of grand, ehhh no it’s not
View Quote

Turtle wax's products just require you to wash the car and will go over whatever is already on there fine.

They work well above their price point.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:18:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By seek2:

Turtle wax's products just require you to wash the car and will go over whatever is already on there fine.

View Quote

Yup. Their ceramic hybrid is like 15 bucks.  Just wash car spotless and give it a good buffing first.  The ceramic application itself is beyond easy.  My cars still bead after a year of MN winter, salt, sand, and lots of driving offroad in the woods and gravel roads.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Just go PPF and be done with it. Yes it’s expensive. Way more durable and protective than ceramic. Buy once cry once.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]
I asked this question last year when my gf got her brand new car. I bought this 303 Graphene

I did three coats and washed to salt off at the local car wash. It is sooooo easy. I got three coats on her car and one one mine before winter with one bottle. I bought two and will use the other this Spring.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:28:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ATLDiver] [#8]

View Quote

Not the same thing nor same result. Your surface needs to be stripped clean and the paint ‘corrected’ to produce the best results. Otherwise just get a wax or sealant and go for a normal application.

Want to get educated on the subject , go watch PAN the Organizer, AmmoNYC or Obsessed Garage. A good application of a quality ceramic will last years with minimum maintenance cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:33:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Had my Sierra done with paint correction and System X. Bugs rinse right off.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:37:25 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeJGA] [#10]
It's a fucking car.  It will get dirty/dinged/scratched no matter what you do.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:38:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Walleyeguy24:

Yup. Their ceramic hybrid is like 15 bucks.  Just wash car spotless and give it a good buffing first.  The ceramic application itself is beyond easy.  My cars still bead after a year of MN winter, salt, sand, and lots of driving offroad in the woods and gravel roads.
View Quote

That’s a sealer, not a real coating.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:41:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#12]
Coatings have many benefits and few downsides.

“Ceramic” has been attached to a lot of products now.  Most OTC stuff isn’t an actual coating.

An actual ceramic coating properly installed will last a long time, helps keep your car cleaner longer, and makes the vehicle much easier to wash.

Thad said “worth it” is subjective.  A properly installed coating on a regular sized car should run 1200+ by a reputable installer.  Only you can decide if there’s enough value there.

DIY is possible too, if you’re not dumb.  

ETA: “Graphene” is a buzzword and there is zero additional benefit to any product with the word on the label.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#13]
It worth it if you take of your cars. It makes cleaning them extremely quick, as everything comes off much easier.

I do it myself and have used R1 coatings the most.

I did just do a full prep and used the Turtle Wax that was talked about above, it is so close to being exactly like the R1 I will continue to use it. As the turtle wax can be applied faster.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:45:02 PM EDT
[#14]
If you are talking about a professional application done AFTER a complete paint correction, then it's awesome.
My truck was done right after delivery and has been an outstanding addition..
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:53:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I just had my new truck done professionally. Even on a brand new vehicle the difference in shine on the black paint is impressive. Time will tell whether it was worth it or not.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By TODD-67:
I just had my new truck done professionally. Even on a brand new vehicle the difference in shine on the black paint is impressive. Time will tell whether it was worth it or not.
View Quote

I’d say that a professionally applied ceramic on a black vehicle is a requirement.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
It's a fucking car.  It will get dirty/dinged/scratched no matter whT you do.
View Quote

Disagree.
It is an investment now. With the price of vehicles being so high with associated interest rates, anything to make your vehicle last longer is a positive.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 6:58:36 PM EDT
[#18]
I have had cars ceramic coated and I did a car with Meguiars Hybrid. For prep I did thr clay bar and then hybrid. I had good results. Most places uses cheap ceramic brands like ECP (check Amazon) and barely prep.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#19]
It is worth it assuming you dont over pay for it. One thing to watch out for is people sell coatings that last X crazy amount of years as an up charge, just cause it is detectible on the paint does not mean it is still effective at its job. Get a good ceramic coating, dont pay up for some crazy 9 year coating marketing BS.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:01:37 PM EDT
[#20]
I had a ceramic coating put on my C63 (rest in pieces ). I would do it again, but only on a car I want to keep “forever”.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:01:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WildBoar] [#21]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:
Coatings have many benefits and few downsides.

“Ceramic” has been attached to a lot of products now.  Most OTC stuff isn’t an actual coating.

An actual ceramic coating properly installed will last a long time, helps keep your car cleaner longer, and makes the vehicle much easier to wash.

Thad said “worth it” is subjective.  A properly installed coating on a regular sized car should run 1200+ by a reputable installer.  Only you can decide if there’s enough value there.

DIY is possible too, if you’re not dumb.  

ETA: “Graphene” is a buzzword and there is zero additional benefit to any product with the word on the label.

View Quote

Agreed.

I had my boat coated
I forgot Salt Water is pretty abrasive. The parts of the hull under the waterline lost it after one outing lol. Up top it  does seem to help fish blood rince off easier. But so does old facshioned wax

For me I stick with sealants for my vehhicles and boat. Super wasy to apply and lasts way longer then traditional waxed plus better UV protection. Just spray a tiny bit on wipe in and wipe off. Simple.

After trying almost all the ones out ther eavailable I like Turtle Wax Seal and Shine the best. Lasts about 5-7 months on my vehicles and I can do the whole car after a was in just 10 minutes

Graphene was supposed to help with water spotting. LOL It doesnt
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By drw1006:

Disagree.
It is an investment now. With the price of vehicles being so high with associated interest rates, anything to make your vehicle last longer is a positive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By drw1006:
Originally Posted By MikeJGA:
It's a fucking car.  It will get dirty/dinged/scratched no matter whT you do.

Disagree.

Investment?  You sure about that?  Sure, of course you want it to last longer but to call a modern automobile an investment is like saying democrats handle money well.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:06:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jackslack] [#23]
Cerakote chips just like paint. A little tougher than paint but based on the guns I see come through the shop I work at, I wouldn't spend the money.

ETA I like my cars to look nice but also know I'm just one drunk driver distracted driver, aggressive road rage driver, poor reflex senior citizen, ice storm accident, chain reaction accident,  away from wrecking my ride and it going to the scrap yard. Like it or not, cars are a disposable/depreciating asset.

Maybe on a museum piece but then regular paint would look just as nice for that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:08:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Sure. Everyday I drive a paid off truck that drives good and I don't pay a bank interest means I can use that cash somewhere else. I see so many vehicles that people don't take care of and they have to stay in the new/newer car paradigm.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:34:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Schmigs:
Is it worth it? Thoughts and opinions.
View Quote

Use this opAttachment Attached File

Meguiars ceramic coating
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:40:41 PM EDT
[#26]
We offer it at our shop.  There is a huge difference between the cheap shit and the expensive shit  good prep makes the car look nice but cheap ceramic coating is garbage.  Rubs right off.  We use ceramic pro coatings here. Costs a couple hundred bucks in material but it's pretty good. You have to hit it with a cutting pad on a buffer to remove it . Nothing sticks to it.  Pretty solid product.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

Thats not real ceramic coating.

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

View Quote

It’s sad that Meguiar’s has gone down the road of “slap Ceramic on everything” but not a surprise.

They have pioneered a lot of awesome products for the professional detailer.

M101 is a legendary compound.  Of course they discontinued it in the US.

That said, I have used some of the modern ceramic sealants on my own cars(I’m lazy) and they do hold up quite well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:13:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Many YouTube videos giving both pro and con opinions. Going to have a classic car repainted soon so topic is of interest to me. Car will be driven sparingly in good weather only and garaged when not out. Leaning towards ceramic but still undecided.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:22:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Doe_Nuts:
Just go PPF and be done with it. Yes it's expensive. Way more durable and protective than ceramic. Buy once cry once.
View Quote
Cry a lot harder if you leave that shit on there for too long and have to remove it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:33:22 PM EDT
[#31]
I'm use to 10 year old cars so it never really mattered, but this year we bought new so I went ahead and PPF'ed it (whole car minus the roof/deck lid).

Super durable and easy to clean.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:37:00 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

It’s sad that Meguiar’s has gone down the road of “slap Ceramic on everything” but not a surprise.

They have pioneered a lot of awesome products for the professional detailer.

M101 is a legendary compound.  Of course they discontinued it in the US.

That said, I have used some of the modern ceramic sealants on my own cars(I’m lazy) and they do hold up quite well.
View Quote

They had to, they need to compete in the consumer market and have something on the shelves at Walmart. Meguiar's profession line still had some decent things. M101 is a legendary compound, I didn't know they stopped selling it here. Menzerna super heavy cut is what I use, it works similar to M101. Was that discontinuation due to some far-left environmental policy?

The real ceramic coatings that need to cure do hold up very well. I have Nanolex on the Audi currently.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:39:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By HighlandMac:

Investment?  You sure about that?  Sure, of course you want it to last longer but to call a modern automobile an investment is like saying democrats handle money well.

View Quote

Since you're not a car guy, I'll go ahead and let you know you're not only wrong, but stupidly wrong. In this day and age how can you not know of appreciating assets such as cars. For example, my 3 pedal 997 turbo is worth approx. $50k more than what I paid for it. Now, that's not a concern of mine as I have no plans on ever selling it. However, if I come up on hard times, esp given the current state of affairs in the country, I'll come out on top. In the era of scrupulous and shrewd BAT buyers, as a seller your shit needs to be as good as possible to maximize your sale.
Furthermore, like guns, most car guys or folks that value assets tend to spend time, money, and energy to protect such investments.  

The lack of intelligence from comments like yours is outstanding-get a grip.

OP, get on youtube and watch some clay bar and coating videos. It's a little time consuming but worth it x1000. Be sure to use the appropriate PH neutral soap to extend the life of your coating.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:46:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Totally worth it to protect your cars finish , do it yourself on a new car or pay somebody if it’s older for the  costing after correction.it won’t be cheap the materials though are around $100 if you do it yourself! Buy from autogeek. A little experience will help, look at videos online, no need to wax  anymore lasts 1-3 years
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 8:46:55 PM EDT
[#35]

They had to, they need to compete in the consumer market and have something on the shelves at Walmart. Meguiar's profession line still had some decent things. M101 is a legendary compound, I didn't know they stopped selling it here. Menzerna super heavy cut is what I use, it works similar to M101. Was that discontinuation due to some far-left environmental policy?

The real ceramic coatings that need to cure do hold up very well. I have Nanolex on the Audi currently.
View Quote

Yeah I get that, bottom line is they want to sell product.

I honestly don’t know why they discontinued 101 in the US.  I don’t think it was an environmental thing.  Still available in Europe, which is the market they originally developed it for.

I pretty much use Koch Chemie compounds now.  They have a pretty broad range.  Menz is good stuff too.  FG400 is nice and aggressive.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 9:51:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: bossco14] [#36]

View All Quotes

Have you any experience with this product? Seems to be geared more towards do it yourself at home car washer. I don’t have any experience applying any real ceramic coating but I’m going to use this product this weekend. But I’ll clay car first before applying.
I’d rather do this myself twice a month instead of paying a couple grand unless I had a show car or high dollar vehicle.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:01:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By bossco14:

Have you any experience with this product? Seems to be geared more towards do it yourself at home car washer. I don't have any experience applying any real ceramic coating but I'm going to use this product this weekend. But I'll clay car first before applying.
I'd rather do this myself twice a month instead of paying a couple grand unless I had a show car or high dollar vehicle.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By bossco14:

Have you any experience with this product? Seems to be geared more towards do it yourself at home car washer. I don't have any experience applying any real ceramic coating but I'm going to use this product this weekend. But I'll clay car first before applying.
I'd rather do this myself twice a month instead of paying a couple grand unless I had a show car or high dollar vehicle.
Any off the shelf at auto zone or Walmart ceramic coatings should be considered an equivalent to a wax spray.  Protects your car a little bit till the next car wash and that's about it.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:03:06 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm planning to buy a new truck soon and thinking of getting PPF and ceramic pretty much as soon as I drive it off the lot. Not excited about spending 10% of the cost on the vehicle on paint protection, but I plan to keep it for a long while.

What should I look for when evaluating shops for this kind of stuff?
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:03:11 PM EDT
[#39]
Yes, I love Gyeon MOHS Evo - but prepping the surface is more important.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By SS65:
Many YouTube videos giving both pro and con opinions. Going to have a classic car repainted soon so topic is of interest to me. Car will be driven sparingly in good weather only and garaged when not out. Leaning towards ceramic but still undecided.
View Quote
A good custom shop should be able to add it one for 500 or less since they are already going to cut and buff the car after paint.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:14:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cash50] [#41]
It's worth it to me but not everyone can do it.

It took probably 11 hours on my AT4. I'm sure a pro would be faster.
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 10:29:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By FunnyStar:
I asked this question last year when my gf got her brand new car. I bought this 303 Graphene

I did three coats and washed to salt off at the local car wash. It is sooooo easy. I got three coats on her car and one one mine before winter with one bottle. I bought two and will use the other this Spring.
View Quote

I've been using this for a few years as well. For garaged cars it will last well for more than a year. Parked outside, say 9 months.
It's about time to recoat 2 of my cars
Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:06:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
Any off the shelf at auto zone or Walmart ceramic coatings should be considered an equivalent to a wax spray.  Protects your car a little bit till the next car wash and that's about it.
View Quote

In my experience the longevity is better than that.  Couple months.  

I mainly use Gtechniq C2 which in my opinion is an easy to install and durable silica sealer (they recently changed the name to “ceramic sealant).

Link Posted: 4/24/2024 11:43:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By victorgonzales:
View Quote

I get many months with a weekly wash and it holds up. 5 months current on my GFs black car. Right beads still.

Turtle Wax Seal.and Shine works friggin great. 5 months over 20.washes. Id say that's pretty good for a product that takes about 10 to 20 minutes to do a whole car
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:15:43 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By OneRanger:

Since you're not a car guy, I'll go ahead and let you know you're not only wrong, but stupidly wrong. In this day and age how can you not know of appreciating assets such as cars. For example, my 3 pedal 997 turbo is worth approx. $50k more than what I paid for it. Now, that's not a concern of mine as I have no plans on ever selling it. However, if I come up on hard times, esp given the current state of affairs in the country, I'll come out on top. In the era of scrupulous and shrewd BAT buyers, as a seller your shit needs to be as good as possible to maximize your sale.
Furthermore, like guns, most car guys or folks that value assets tend to spend time, money, and energy to protect such investments.  

The lack of intelligence from comments like yours is outstanding-get a grip.

OP, get on youtube and watch some clay bar and coating videos. It's a little time consuming but worth it x1000. Be sure to use the appropriate PH neutral soap to extend the life of your coating.
View Quote
Great example using a semi-rare Porsche as an example of an appreciating asset. Now do a 2017 Camry.

Cars are depreciating assets. Period.

One off examples for rare and collector cars don't change that.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 12:46:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SkyFive] [#46]
Ceramic coating is real and it's effective at protecting your finish. Mothers Clay Bar the entire vehicle, Mothers Ceramic Prep and then apply Mothers Ceramic coating. The coating is cumulative, I apply another coat every 6 months or so. It's fast and easy, even a caveman could do it. (Don't skip the clay bar, it's worth the effort even on a new vehicle)
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:10:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Never_A_Wick] [#47]
Originally Posted By SkyFive:
Ceramic coating is real and it's effective at protecting your finish. Mothers Clay Bar the entire vehicle, Mothers Ceramic Prep and then apply Mothers Ceramic coating. The coating is cumulative, I apply another coat every 6 months or so. It's fast and easy, even a caveman could do it. (Don't skip the clay bar, it's worth the effort even on a new vehicle)
View Quote

CMX is a sealant, not a true coating.  That is why you’re applying a coat every 6 months… because what was there is gone.

True coatings have longevity measured in years.

Clay should be used sparingly and generally the best time to use it is before correction.  It can cause scratching.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:15:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Imo, if it's on a weekend toy type of car...sure.  

If on a daily...get ppf instead.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:18:07 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By azmp5:
Imo, if it's on a weekend toy type of car...sure.  

If on a daily...get ppf instead.
View Quote

PPF is far superior.  Coatings have zero impact and very little scratch resistance.

Downside is that PPF is in comparison extremely expensive, and may require replacement after some period of time.  It’s also much harder to install(properly) than a coating.  I’ve helped out with some PPF installs and the money is good but there’s no way I would offer it to clients.  I don’t have the skill.
Link Posted: 4/25/2024 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By FunnyStar:

View Quote

Just ordered the large bottle of this stuff. My truck is garage kept, but since buying it in 2018, I've only waxed the hood once. Got some over spray on it, and had to clay bar, and wax it.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top