Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/1/2021 1:53:29 AM EDT
I've sometimes seen chain link fencing with flat inserts woven through the pattern. Is this something that is purchased as-is, or can it be DIY added to an existing fence?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:57:06 AM EDT
[#1]
You can do it, all they are is metal Venetian blind lengths.
Just weave them into the fence.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 1:57:40 AM EDT
[#2]
use red solo cups?
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:13:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Recently saw some that look like fake Christmas tree material. Much more attractive than the ones I think you are talking about. No clue on cost, availability, or suitability for your project, but I thought it was cool.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:28:32 AM EDT
[#4]
A place I worked had a work property in a nice neighborhood.  It seems we had "plastic" slates installed in the chain link fence to make the locals feel better.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:33:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Do a mural.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:53:09 AM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 2:54:39 AM EDT
[#7]
fence stuff

her toy go
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#8]
I’ve used them before and liked them but I’d say to spend extra for the metal instead of the plastic.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:36:32 AM EDT
[#9]
When it came time for my chain link fence (previous property) to become a privacy fence, I pulled down the wire, sold it, and installed cedar planks.  My property was adjacent to a vacant grass lot, and my cunt neighbor started parking welfare busses in the lot.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:41:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
use red solo cups?
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes it is a do it yourself project.

I will say if you live in an area that gets high winds these slates turn the fence into a parachute and I have seen many fences blow over either detaching the chain link from the poles or bending the poles.

Some people leave out every other or every two or three slates to help avoid the wind issue.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:59:06 AM EDT
[#12]
You can DIY but it's fucking tedious.

I'm never doing it again. I have the pine looking type.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:06:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Yes it is a do it yourself project.

I will say if you live in an area that gets high winds these slates turn the fence into a parachute and I have seen many fences blow over either detaching the chain link from the poles or bending the poles.

Some people leave out every other or every two or three slates to help avoid the wind issue.
View Quote
Also, be very careful about using them on gates that pivot (not slide). I have seen vehicles get damaged if the wind picks up while moving through a gate.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:07:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You can do it, all they are is metal Venetian blind lengths.
Just weave them into the fence.
View Quote

Yes, you can do it yourself.

No, they are not metal venetian blind lengths.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#15]
I'd probably just plant trees or shrubs.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 12:14:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Pexco #79264 @ Lowe's
82 pack for $71.34
Covers 10 linear feet of 5 foot tall fence.

6 foot tall is $84 for same coverage.

4 foot tall is $63.24 "  "

8 foot tall is $104.36 " "

SPECIAL ORDER
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#17]
This is looking like something I can do.
  • I'm not worried about wind, as there is good tree & brush cover to protect it.
  • The primary goal is to block line of sight so our dogs and the neighbor dogs can't see each other.
  • I might consider slatted wood when replacement time comes around, but this is at the back of the property and I really don't care if its pretty.
  • Not Pretty and Ugly are not the same thing, as this would replace one of those long synthetic fabric privacy panels that look like crap on uneven ground.

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#18]
You can also get the premade wood lattice work stuff designed for gazebos.  Then just zip tie it on.

Not quite as clean a look as weaving material into the fence, but much less time consuming and easier to change out if it gets too weathered.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:39:51 PM EDT
[#19]
Sorry, but in a residential application it is a terrible look.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:51:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Sorry, but in a residential application it is a terrible look.
View Quote
It can't look much worse than a straight fabric rectangle trying to cover a fence that follows erratic terrain. Add in that it's at the rear of a long-ish lot and I'm not too worried about it.

Sides and front, I think I'd agree with you. For trying to keep our dogs from antagonizing each other, I like it better than laying crap up against it or using wood that can be chewed through. Even zip tying lattice to it, you hit the part where the property line isn't flat.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 3:53:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
fence stuff

her toy go
View Quote
That looks interesting, and viable.
I'd have sworn that this stuff was typically diagonal though...??
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:19:05 PM EDT
[#22]
You can get black ones that slide in from the top & you push them straight down.
They're about $50 for 10' worth of slats.
They go in relatively easy in a new fence, but they're a bitch to get in once the fence is all banged up.
Fill a 5 gallon bucket with water & dip the tips in - they slide in a little easier when wet.

(The ones that have a horizontal slat to lock them in place don't really give you much privacy because they're thinner.)

You can also get a privacy tarp made for fencing - green on one side, black on the other - then all you have to do is zip tie it to the inside of the fence.
Those come in 50' or 100' sections.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:22:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
That looks interesting, and viable.
I'd have sworn that this stuff was typically diagonal though...??
View Quote

Vertical plastic is what you want, you push them straight down & don't have to weave them.
Don't get aluminum, you'll be listening to them every time the wind blows, plus they're sharp.

Make sure you get the right size, they come in 4', 5', & 6'.
Once you get them all in place tap them from the top with a 2x4 to get them all to the same height.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:23:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Be sure your fence is designed for the additional wind load that will be placed upon it when increasing wind resistence.  Most people dont take this into account and end up replacing their fence after it gets knocked down by high winds.
Link Posted: 12/1/2021 11:24:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Be warned that if you live in an area that gets high wind your fence will turn into a giant sail.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top