Posted: 3/9/2021 12:53:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Chicago Electric didn't fool you?

Kharn
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Have y'all noticed that places that sell cheap tools, principally Harbor Freight and Wal Mart (to a much lesser degree) trying to up their prices by creating lines of name brand tools?
View Quote

How did you make it through all of 1995 without noticing this?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:23:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I doubt they will be as good as the Powr Kraft tools my Dad gave me in 1981 he got from Montgomery Wards.  Surprisingly good for a store brand.   I did buy some VERY low end tool sets from Harbor Freight recently to keep in my truck, and they are junk. Good enough to assemble a ladder tree stand, but I'd hate to depend on it for an auto repair.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Harbor Freight is jumping on that hardcore right now.

ICON tool boxes that are near direct copies of Sanp-on with some improvements.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:31:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EIoZw67XUAM0JYv.jpg
View Quote

They do look like copy's , I'll have to try some out
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:35:19 PM EDT
[#6]
They are following the same plan major tool companies follow if they want to cover the entire market, entry tier, hobby tier, and professional tier.  Some companies acquire other brands along the way, Harbor Freight is developing them internally.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:35:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I hear the Vulcan welders at Harbor Fright are pretty decent. But their lack of coupons keeps me out. And those prices on ICON ... . Actually the increase in prices at HF has made it easier for me to justify German, Czech, and USA tools lately.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:39:04 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

They hired one of Snap-on's design guys to work on that tool box line.  He took a whole bunch of inside information with him.

They took the overall look and scaled it back to better fit in a homeowner's garage.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:40:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That's the nicest looking Harbor Freight I've ever seen.
View Quote
I was thinking the same thing lol.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#11]
I think the last things I bought at a Harbor Freight was a tarp and some ratchet straps. They all come from china anyways these days.
I haven't bought any tools from there since I was a broke-ass teen.
I'd much rather buy quality  used tools. The store will forever be associated with cheap chinesium garbage.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#12]
I used to buy their "one time use tools" when it was for something specific that I would only use once and was otherwise expensive, ie a pulley puller.

Prices have gone up and I am not longer dirt poor. So I go for quality instead

Also screw china
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:47:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yeah, mine is full of barely literate people who smell bad.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:49:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm surprised you can smell them over the smell of outgassing chinese plastic and rubber.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 1:52:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

They hired one of Snap-on's design guys to work on that tool box line.  He took a whole bunch of inside information with him.

They took the overall look and scaled it back to better fit in a homeowner's garage.
View Quote

Got a source for any of that?

Not exactly a lot of super secret trade secrets for a toolbox.  A lot faster and cheaper to just buy one and reverse engineer it anyways
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:08:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:14:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iirc they are made on MATCO lines as per GJ
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:20:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Iirc they are made on MATCO lines as per GJ
View Quote

Have lots of tools all different brands, you only notice the fit and finish difference if you use them a lot
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:36:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Got a source for any of that?

Not exactly a lot of super secret trade secrets for a toolbox.  A lot faster and cheaper to just buy one and reverse engineer it anyways
View Quote

PM me an I'll send you his LinkedIn profile.  Yes, you can reverse engineer the basic design, but you don't have all the R&D behind it, or the customer focus group testing, or the hours of discussions regarding marketing and new product design.  They even stole the Icon brand before Snap-on could release it.

You also don't have contacts with the various powder paint, aluminum extrusion, drawer slides, and caster suppliers.  Even the suppliers that didn't get supplier contracts with Snap-on have a lot of inside knowledge regarding paint formulations, and other design information.

Feel free to do some research on Snap-on plant locations, I may know some guys that work in the Iowa plant.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:36:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I don't go into HF too often, but I went in recently.
I've got about 4 of the "Apache" (pelican knock off) pistol cases, and one of the rifle cases.
They have at least doubled in price since I got mine.
I about choked.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I'll buy Harbor Freight for that tool that I will use once every three or four years or maybe a couple of times in my lifetime.

Anything I use frequently I look elsewhere.

However, having said that I bought their large vibrator cleaner for cleaning reloaded brass and it has worked for tens of thousands of rounds.  After 15 years it is still working fine.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:45:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Yep.  

I used to go to HF all of the time.  Now I rarely go there.  They can keep their stuff at today's prices.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:56:41 PM EDT
[#24]
THE RISE OF HARBOR FREIGHT!

CAN THEY SHAKE OFF THEIR SHIT TIER IMAGE AND BECOME AS ACCEPTED AS THE BIG BOX BRANDS?

(I bet it falls flat, and someone else that knows their place drives them out of business)
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:11:04 PM EDT
[#25]
The problem isn't necessarily the Harbor Freight kind of tools, it's when you pick up a Craftsman or a Stanley wrench and realize is a piece of shit, then you're trying to figure out what sucks the least for your budget.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:16:01 PM EDT
[#26]
I got one of their toolboxes this year to set up my gun room. It's leaps and bounds above the Husky stuff I have and much cheaper than snap on. I like them so much I'll be buying a ton more to redo my garage.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:17:43 PM EDT
[#27]
I dont get harbor freights plan, they are making multiple expensive cordless lines that cost almost as much as the name brand, with a crap warranty.

I got to harbor freight for cheap, not expensive.

I will buy a 30 dollar circular saw to fry it sawing up a deck, or a couple 15 dollar grinders to not have to change discs.

I aint buying a fancier version for 3x as much.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:18:39 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I very rarely go into HF, but last time I was at the local store they hade a few of these ICON boxes there, and I am man enough to admit I was pretty impressed with what I saw and felt.  The heavier drawers are build with 4 slides.  I pulled a drawer out and sat on it.

Seriously for the price they are really nice boxes... and you have to understand as a former mechanic how hard that is for me to admit.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:19:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I used to buy their "one time use tools" when it was for something specific that I would only use once and was otherwise expensive, ie a pulley puller.

Also screw china
View Quote

A good portion of their "high-end" power tools are actually made in Taiwan and supporting Taiwan is a good thing.  If you need a tool, at least check HF and see if the tool you want is made in Taiwan and help out a country that hates mainland China and the CCP.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The problem isn't necessarily the Harbor Freight kind of tools, it's when you pick up a Craftsman or a Stanley wrench and realize is a piece of shit, then you're trying to figure out what sucks the least for your budget.
View Quote

Customer expectations rule the tool industry.  If you go cheap and buy crap you do not expect much out of it.  You might buy three ratchets over 10 years, but if you buy them for 1/4 the cost of premium brands your still money ahead.

Craftsman had the homeowner/hobbyist market cornered until they no longer gave the customer what they expected.  

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:21:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

OK that makes sense, these are not just cheaper, they are like a Snap-On improved, so the guy had a few ideas while he was working for Snap-On that he never got to try.

I was shocked when I started messing around with them at the store.  

Price for large roll cab is $2400, Sanp-on..LOL... the "I like you" price from the tool guy is over 12 grand.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:22:44 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have had significantly better luck out of the HF Pro line of hand tools than I have out of modern Craftsman or Stanley.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:23:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Marketing: how does it work?

Speed
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#34]
My Harbor Freight toolbox is much better quality than anything you get at Lowes or Home Depot.

I've seen the price of their equipment go up in price the last few years though.

Sadly Harbor Freight is one of the only places to go for specialty tools you might need for a job.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:26:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I very rarely go into HF, but last time I was at the local store they hade a few of these ICON boxes there, and I am man enough to admit I was pretty impressed with what I saw and felt.  The heavier drawers are build with 4 slides.  I pulled a drawer out and sat on it.

Seriously for the price they are really nice boxes... and you have to understand as a former mechanic how hard that is form me to admit.
View Quote

1 of 3
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:27:17 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My Harbor Freight toolbox is much better quality than anything you get at Lowes or Home Depot.

I've seen the price of their equipment go up in price the last few years though.

Sadly Harbor Freight is one of the only places to go for specialty tools you might need for a job.
View Quote

I have two of their toolboxes, the big 44in chest and the heavy duty toolcart with drawers.  Both of them are excellent for the money.  Going strong on about 3yrs now.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:29:04 PM EDT
[#37]
I purchased the $159 five drawer tool cart a few years ago and it is every bit the product that the $800-1200 name brand counterparts are. The only change I made was adding two additional swivel casters so that I can maneuver it around easier in my somewhat cramped garage.

Attachment Attached File

NEW!! U.S. General SERIES 2 30" Tool Cart -vs- BLUE POINT (HARBOR FREIGHT -vs- SNAP-ON)

I've also had very good luck with anything named ICON.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:30:21 PM EDT
[#38]

Only 3, rookie numbers!  

Old school KRL series will last you a lifetime.  
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:35:04 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
They are following the same plan major tool companies follow if they want to cover the entire market, entry tier, hobby tier, and professional tier.  Some companies acquire other brands along the way, Harbor Freight is developing them internally.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/374309/Tool_Brands_jpg-1858674.JPG
View Quote

Hart (Walmart brand) is owned by the same company that owns Milwaukee, Rigid, Ryobi and Makita...TTI
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:36:54 PM EDT
[#40]
Everyone does it. Nothing new. Even the low end stores have a better brand, and some of the good HF stuff is actually really good nowadays. And as pointed out above, Hart is just another rung in a ladder of well known consumer tools.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:44:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I have had significantly better luck out of the HF Pro line of hand tools than I have out of modern Craftsman or Stanley.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 30 year old crapsman sockets and what not.
Use HF wratchets with them.
The composite ones and others and they are so much better than the old sloppy crapsmans.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:45:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I like it. I don't always need somthing that is 10/10 for quality. But sometimes i do.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:53:01 PM EDT
[#43]
There's a saying out there, "If you are gonna need a tool for monkeyfucking around with, you're only gonna pay 'monkeyfucking' prices for it. After all, are you willing to break your nice tools?"
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:58:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There's a saying out there, "If you are gonna need a tool for monkeyfucking around with, you're only gonna pay 'monkeyfucking' prices for it. After all, are you willing to break your nice tools?"
View Quote

Snap on guy, you were not prying something with this screwdriver?
Me, no, I was just unscrewing a screw
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:04:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ehh maybe not.
Needed to pull the arm off the steering box on my 01 dodge drive to work junker.
The HF puller for that broke.
So I had to napa that puller and it worked just fine.
You can end up purchasing things twice just to get one simple job done.

Ohh I am as guilty as anyone trying to get by cheap and I have my share of HF junk.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:13:58 PM EDT
[#46]
On a related note, many Chinese companies have tried to copy the grip color (like on pliers) of US companies in order to fool buyers into thinking they were buying a quality known brand.

Many US companies have registered their colors and will sue and win if anyone even comes close to their colors.

Yes some hand tool companies "own" certain colors.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:19:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:24:08 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:26:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

A good portion of their "high-end" power tools are actually made in Taiwan and supporting Taiwan is a good thing.  If you need a tool, at least check HF and see if the tool you want is made in Taiwan and help out a country that hates mainland China and the CCP.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Also screw china

I always grab the made in Taiwan tools over the made in China stuff.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:26:29 PM EDT
[#50]
Their stuff is fast becoming on par with the major brand name stuff. I’m a progressional mechanic by trade and have been buying up the ICON stuff just to beat it up to see what it’ll do. I like the fact that I’m not a slave to the Snap on truck and my drawers are full. That’s not to say that I don’t own snap on. I just have been slowly getting away from them.

The whole three inside brands thing is confusing however. They’d be smarter to have one house brand.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top