BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 8
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:21:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JustinHEMI04:

Yes I'm experimenting with things. I'm going to keep playing with them but it was a look I was going for. The colors against the cold and dark of a nuclear wasteland.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By djkest:
Your photos are cool but you pumped the saturation WAY WAY up...

Yes I'm experimenting with things. I'm going to keep playing with them but it was a look I was going for. The colors against the cold and dark of a nuclear wasteland.

Awesome share. One of the best ARFposts ever - and I know I am a complete douche for asking but do you have any pics without the HDR/Saturation?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:22:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By clickclickBOOM:
Now this was a post! Thanks!

I average 400mrems per month in my job lol.
View Quote

Doing what? Federal limits for rad workers is 5 REM, and my company limits us to 2. Never heard of anyone getting that much dose, even fuel pool divers I've talked to don't get that much
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Beautiful pics.

It does make me wonder where all those missing pieces of control panels and other items that could be carried off are sitting now......
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:25:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ToledoXJ:

Awesome share. One of the best ARFposts ever - and I know I am a complete douche for asking but do you have any pics without the HDR/Saturation?
View Quote

Yeah all of them lol
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:31:25 AM EDT
[#5]
How many times on your trip did you say  - Not great. Not terrible.?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:33:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Looks like an awesome trip OP. Did your guide know how to find the claw?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:35:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By nisa715:
View Quote

Yes she asked if I wanted to go there. I did not.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:37:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By JT_26:
How many times on your trip did you say  - Not great. Not terrible.?
View Quote

lol. Well played

To the OP. I assume you are a nuke engineer.  How did their gear—fit, finish, and technology—compare to our stuff from the same time period. Comparable or rougher and clunkier as most Soviet engineering seems to be?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:40:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BLKVooDoo] [#9]
My need for a VLF antenna intensifies....

Very cool trip. My brother was there when he was an intern for Par Nuclear. He has some interesting stories.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By NavyDoc1:

lol. Well played

To the OP. I assume you are a nuke engineer.  How did their gearfit, finish, and technologycompare to our stuff from the same time period. Comparable or rougher and clunkier as most Soviet engineering seems to be?
View Quote

Operator. Clunkier. That's why I took pictures of their process racks and such. By today's standards our similarly vintage racks are clunky, but compared to theirs, ours were more advanced.

The control boards seemed similar.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#11]

Operator. Clunkier. That's why I took pictures of their process racks and such. By today's standards our similarly vintage racks are clunky, but compared to theirs, ours were more advanced.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By NavyDoc1:

lol. Well played

To the OP. I assume you are a nuke engineer.  How did their gearfit, finish, and technologycompare to our stuff from the same time period. Comparable or rougher and clunkier as most Soviet engineering seems to be?

That's what I noticed with medical equpment from Soviets/Russia. Perfectfly functional. Gets the job done. But not as elegant or refined as western stuff.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:46:59 AM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes

No interest, or too dangerous? Just learning about it, but what I read about it made it sound like it’s not the best idea to be around it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:48:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Very cool. Thanks.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Tragically beautiful

Awesome post!
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:53:51 AM EDT
[#15]

No interest, or too dangerous? Just learning about it, but what I read about it made it sound like it's not the best idea to be around it.
View Quote

No interest really. It's off the beaten path and would have expended a lot of daylight to get to it.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 10:57:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:08:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for sharing, really neat!
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:13:34 AM EDT
[#18]

View Quote

Yes but they are artificially saturated. It makes everything look jarringly fake.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:22:55 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By djkest:

Yes but they are artificially saturated. It makes everything look jarringly fake.
View Quote

Understood thank you.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:29:20 AM EDT
[#20]
Absolutely epic thread.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:29:30 AM EDT
[#21]

No, got a link?
View Quote
I believe
Pripyat Ghost Town - Elena Filatova
this is the woman

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:30:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:35:53 AM EDT
[#23]
That is a great montage of pictures.  

I am amazed at how dirty the active areas of the plant are.  Don't they at least clean up on occasion?  I mean it is just dilapidated and falling apart yet still has functional activity.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:36:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Neat thread.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:45:54 AM EDT
[#25]
What is the pink goo/glue/grease look on the reactor indicator panel?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 11:47:48 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ErikS:
What is the pink goo/glue/grease look on the reactor indicator panel?
View Quote

That is a substance that they sprayed on everything to get control of the contaminated dust. Of course, now it's flaking off too.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:01:42 PM EDT
[#27]

Thank you!
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RTX:
Rated Epic - something I rarely do. Thanks for sharing, OP.

Thank you!

Same here, thanks for the effort of posting all this,

It's greatly appreciated...
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:14:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6gunsal] [#28]
Did you wear a TLD or are you just calculating you received more than 2000 mR?   I guess I’d take some dose to get to see that stuff in person…

Awesome pics too!  Saturation didn’t bother me. Looked very Russian. lol
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:18:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By 6gunsal:
Did you wear a TLD or are you just calculating you received more than 2000 mR?   I guess I'd take some dose to get to see that stuff in person
View Quote

Huh? I didn't say I received more than 2000mr.

Yes, wore 3 dosimeters at one point.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:20:19 PM EDT
[#30]

View All Quotes
Did you wear a TLD or are you just calculating you received more than 2000 mR?   I guess I'd take some dose to get to see that stuff in person

I misread your mini rant in the op.  You seemed oddly cavalier about the amount of dose you got but now it makes more sense.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:26:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustinU235] [#31]

I misread your mini rant in the op.  You seemed oddly cavalier about the amount of dose you got but now it makes more sense.
View Quote

Yeah the fact that they allow the public to receive any is a strange concept to me. That's the short version of the rant lol. My electronic dosimeter at the end of the plant tour read the equivalent of 3mrem. Not much, but still more than the 0 we would allow any public person to receive in the USA. And I've logged zero mrem years working at a PWR in my job capacity.

I haven't tried figuring out how much I received from the general area field that exists in the exclusion zone, or the time near the "hotter" areas. Probably another couple mrem.

Then I see videos of people digging up and taking home fuel particles. The whole idea is kinda crazy lol. Here's an example.

chernobyl 2012: finding a fragment of chernobyl''s nuclear reactor fuel (in nature)

Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:38:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wilsoncm] [#32]
Awesome! I did the one day tour back in November of 2020. I didn't see nearly as much as you did, but it was still a great experience. The day of my tour there was only like ~25 total tourists in the zone. Our guide said that during peak tourism it could get up to 1K - 3K people in the zone in a single day.

I've been to Kyiv twice, and it wasn't bad. Some of the Stalinist architecture was interesting. Did you by chance walk by the Hotel Salut? I remember walking by it and thinking to myself 'what the hell is that building?'. Great example of weird Communist architecture from back then.

My favorite place was Lviv, in Western Ukraine. It was very Central European in the architecture, as well as just smaller and laid back. Pravda Beer Theatre and their local orchestra was awesome. Same with the Lychakivsky cemetery.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:45:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing. As for the secret cities, those were the luckiest of soviets. Have to keep them happy since they can't go anywhere and they are running your early warning or doing uranium mining or nuke design, etc.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:45:26 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By wilsoncm:
Awesome! I did the one day tour back in November of 2021. I didn't see nearly as much as you did, but it was still a great experience. The day of my tour there was only like ~25 total tourists in the zone. Our guide said that during peak tourism it could get up to 1K - 3K people in the zone in a single day.

I've been to Kyiv twice, and it wasn't bad. Some of the Stalinist architecture was interesting. Did you by chance walk by the Hotel Salut? I remember walking by it and thinking to myself 'what the hell is that building?'. Great example of weird Communist architecture from back then.

My favorite place was Lviv, in Western Ukraine. It was very Central European in the architecture, as well as just smaller and laid back. Pravda Beer Theatre and their local orchestra was awesome. Same with the Lychakivsky cemetery.
View Quote

No I didn't walk by that hotel. My guide said the same thing about the number of people during peak season. In Pripyat, she said we were the only people in there at the time (besides the officials from the state). It's one of the reasons I went when I did. In the plant, there were only 5 other people in my group, which was good because I didn't want people interfering with my photos. It was nice because while the guide was talking to them about what happened, I could be off doing something else like getting photos or taking parts off the control panels (and putting them back lol).

At Duga we were the first tracks in the snow which was cool. When we left, a small group pulled up to head in.

I'll definitely visit Ukraine again, probably as a broader visit to my ancestral town of Krosno Poland. I like the smaller central and eastern European towns a lot.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 12:47:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustinU235] [#35]
Originally Posted By MrHiggs:
Awesome pics, thanks for sharing. As for the secret cities, those were the luckiest of soviets. Have to keep them happy since they can't go anywhere and they are running your early warning or doing uranium mining or nuke design, etc.
View Quote

Yeah that was the biggest eye opener and learning for me on this trip. Going in, I wasn't expecting much learning about Chernobyl considering the unending training we receive on it, and I didn't learn much. I wasn't expecting to learn about secret cities and I can't stop thinking about what life would have been like there. They built a nice little town for those people, and a town I wouldn't mind living in myself! Gave them everything they needed so they wouldn't need to go anywhere. I am very happy to have received a great education there.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Yeah the fact that they allow the public to receive any is a strange concept to me. That's the short version of the rant lol. My electronic dosimeter at the end of the plant tour read the equivalent of 3mrem. Not much, but still more than the 0 we would allow any public person to receive in the USA. And I've logged zero mrem years working at a PWR in my job capacity.

I haven't tried figuring out how much I received from the general area field that exists in the exclusion zone, or the time near the "hotter" areas. Probably another couple mrem.

Then I see videos of people digging up and taking home fuel particles. The whole idea is kinda crazy lol. Here's an example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZyDvtX85Y

View All Quotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ejZyDvtX85Y

Bruh... Comrades don't think acute dose be like it is, but it do
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:01:56 PM EDT
[#37]
Amazing post and pictures.  I’ve been extremely fascinated by Chernobyl and always wondered how much other stuff they cover up.  

I’m amazed that even metal objects like a truck absorb enough radiation to still be radiating.  All of the discussion about dosages makes a little sense, compared to what we tolerate here, but would you say a visitor there gets enough exposure to be a concern?

I was interested that the leave fuel rods out for you to photograph?   I’m guessing they were in a containment vessel of some sort?   When you say divers in the pools get minimal dosages, does that mean some still penetrates the containment vessels?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#38]
Thanks OP!  Awesome pics!
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:09:10 PM EDT
[#39]

Yeah that was the biggest eye opener and learning for me on this trip. Going in, I wasn't expecting much learning about Chernobyl considering the unending training we receive on it, and I didn't learn much. I wasn't expecting to learn about secret cities and I can't stop thinking about what life would have been like there. They built a nice little town for those people, and a town I wouldn't mind living in myself! Gave them everything they needed so they wouldn't need to go anywhere. I am very happy to have received a great education there.
View All Quotes

If you haven't already, go watch some of Bald and Bankrupt's videos from old Soviet secret cities. Without exception, every person he talks to in those places wishes it was still the old days. Life was good in those cities.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:13:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustinU235] [#40]
Originally Posted By Flyinlow78:
Amazing post and pictures.  I've been extremely fascinated by Chernobyl and always wondered how much other stuff they cover up.  

I'm amazed that even metal objects like a truck absorb enough radiation to still be radiating.  All of the discussion about dosages makes a little sense, compared to what we tolerate here, but would you say a visitor there gets enough exposure to be a concern?

I was interested that the leave fuel rods out for you to photograph?   I'm guessing they were in a containment vessel of some sort?   When you say divers in the pools get minimal dosages, does that mean some still penetrates the containment vessels?
View Quote

To the bolded, not at all, as long as you listen to your guide, follow their routes, and don't handle anything. You will get more on the flight over. You receive, naturally, about 300mrem per year. Adding a few more here and there isn't going make a difference considering everything else you're exposed to like xrays, going through the thing at the airport, the flight, etc. I'm not trying to be alarmist about what's happening there, just comparing how they allow people to get dose while in the USA we would not. I was astonished at the relative lack of controls over the area.

I don't understand the first question in the last paragraph. I think you're asking about the control rods I photographed? Yeah the part you see wouldn't have been exposed to the neutron flux of the core so that part is not radioactive. The part exposed to the flux of the core is down in the pool of water which is shielded as well.

The other guys were talking about people that sometimes go into the spent fuel pools in the USA. In the USA, we keep 23 feet of water above the fuel, and the divers don't go anywhere near them. Deep water makes a great shield and 23 feet is WAY more than needed to keep doses at a safe level.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#41]
If you haven't already, go watch some of Bald and Bankrupt's videos from old Soviet secret cities. Without exception, every person he talks to in those places wishes it was still the old days. Life was good in those cities.
View Quote

Will do for sure! Since getting back, reading up on it and trying to find pictures of life there is all I've been doing. At some point I'm going to rework my pictures, but as a beginner photographer, I'm exploring all the features of my camera and software and am currently in my HDR phase. Eventually I'll move on and I have 3 exposures of each photo in RAW so I can do what I want with them. :P
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:17:59 PM EDT
[#42]
Did you tell folks that you worked in the industry, and if so were they curious or "meh" about it?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:19:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JustinU235] [#43]
Originally Posted By XJ:
Did you tell folks that you worked in the industry, and if so were they curious or "meh" about it?
View Quote
Yes and my tour group was enamored. It was non stop questions. The plant people also had some questions but it was clear they were "meh" from a "special access" privilege perspective that I was trying to gain with it.

I really wanted to see that fuckin foot.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:22:12 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:49:50 PM EDT
[#45]
OP, incredible pictures. Thank you very much for sharing.
That key on one of your pictures is for "Reserve Control Panel" (РПУ).
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:59:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Amazing pics !!!

Thanks so much for sharing
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 1:59:51 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By KK66:
OP, incredible pictures. Thank you very much for sharing.
That key on one of your pictures is for "Reserve Control Panel" ().
View Quote

Thank you!
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 2:07:35 PM EDT
[#48]
Awesome adventure OP.  How do they stop the external above ground pipes from freezing?  Or is the area now a constant heater? I thought I saw old pixs of the ferris wheel all rusty. Is someone painting the cars?
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 2:12:03 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Gill-man:
Awesome adventure OP.  How do they stop the external above ground pipes from freezing?  Or is the area now a constant heater? I thought I saw old pixs of the ferris wheel all rusty. Is someone painting the cars?
View Quote

I saw heat tracing on some of the pipes.

Good question about the ferris wheel, but I don't know. I also thought the color seemed very fresh. Wouldn't surprise me if they're doing some upkeep for the tourists.
Link Posted: 12/24/2021 2:37:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Hell, I've got a next door who was on the USS Whale, and later built nuke plants. And even after being explained many times how they work, still don't understand how they work. One thing is his wifey went radioactive, between alimony and child support, she cleaned him out. Barely gets by on SSI now.

Pan Am used to fly to Kyiv as a continuation from Moscow. My Dad flew Moscow/St Petersburg with Delta, was constantly amazed at the corruption, could get anything with cartons of Marlboros.

Neat post and pics!!!
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top