Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 2/19/2021 11:52:02 AM EDT
that's gotta make your asshole pucker

Video here
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:54:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I would have been shedding my gear. That shit is heavy. Hell of a jump.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:19:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Wow! Glad he made.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:40:56 PM EDT
[#3]
He definitely saved his ass. Glad he made it.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:42:37 PM EDT
[#4]
FFs jumping from or out of buildings...happens quite often...glad it worked out for this guy
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:48:12 PM EDT
[#5]
That snow was a godsend for landing at that point.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:50:07 PM EDT
[#6]
We used to jump rooftops as kids.  None of the buildings were ever on fire at the time though.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Hard to tell but it looks like he dropped his scba before the jump.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:03:46 PM EDT
[#8]
Not batman, but it worked.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Glad he is ok and there was a place to jump too!
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:13:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Damn Crazy Truckies!
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:13:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Never skip leg day.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Ladder/Truck companies are a different breed.
In Chicago, and probably other large cities, guys on trucks wear lighter weight gear than engine guys.
Different job descriptions; engines -  fire suppression, trucks - rescue and ventilation.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:32:19 PM EDT
[#14]
That was clutch
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:35:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:37:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Ballsy as fuck.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:37:49 PM EDT
[#17]
What was his other choice?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:41:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Pretty cool
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:03:49 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In Chicago, and probably other large cities, guys on trucks wear lighter weight gear than engine guys.
Different job descriptions; engines -  fire suppression, trucks - rescue and ventilation.
View Quote

Wut???
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:28:57 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We used to jump rooftops as kids.  None of the buildings were ever on fire at the time though.
View Quote

We had a cop at work (who was a certified nutcase) do it once just for shits and giggles, the Capt. who saw him was not amused though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:44:17 AM EDT
[#21]
I’d rather fight two meth heads at once. Fuck all that fire noise. I’m not burning to death.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 6:44:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Wut???
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut???

Dude, I watched Emergency as a kid. The "engine" is the big one, like "Engine 51." The "truck" is the smaller one. Like "Rescue 51." The guys who fight fires, like Chet, ride on the Engine. The guys who do rescue and stuff ride in the one ton, like Johnny and Roy. Chet had to wear the big coat. Johnny and Roy had short sleeves unless they were going in a structure. This was a 70s TV show, so I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

On topic, I was expecting a Chicago high rise jump and got a one story plop into a snow pile. 4/10 "building jumping."
9/10 self preservation points though.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:00:32 AM EDT
[#23]
Glad he made it.

That was a combination of ability and some serious motivation.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:11:37 AM EDT
[#24]
Tank...run the jump program...
Whoa
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:15:09 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Dude, I watched Emergency as a kid. The "engine" is the big one, like "Engine 51." The "truck" is the smaller one. Like "Rescue 51." The guys who fight fires, like Chet, ride on the Engine. The guys who do rescue and stuff ride in the one ton, like Johnny and Roy. Chet had to wear the big coat. Johnny and Roy had short sleeves unless they were going in a structure. This was a 70s TV show, so I'm pretty sure it's accurate.

On topic, I was expecting a Chicago high rise jump and got a one story plop into a snow pile. 4/10 "building jumping."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut???

Not correct. The truck is the tower/ladder.  When not conducting aerial ops, truckies perform interior searches and vent roofs and windows.  There's more to it but the truck isn't a pick up
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:19:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Wut???
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wut???

Ladders vs. hoses.

Truck: often, but not always, a tractor/trailer unit that also steers at the rear of the vehicle. Truck crew’s role is to rescue people, give the fire and heat someplace else to go. Some also call the truck the “hook and ladder.”

Engine: straight, shorter vehicle. Pumps water, has shitloads of hose lines. Engine crew’s job is to put the fire out.

Some fire houses have both, some have one or the other.

Units from multiple fire houses often respond to the same call.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#27]
Truck guys have the same gear but don't use a SCBA tank on roof operations. The weight of those tanks up on a slippery roof will throw you off balance.

I think 2 guys jumped off. I was watching the helicopter footage on a different station and i saw a guy coming off the garage on the other side of building there was prints in snow from middle of garage. They show him just as he was jumping off the garage. It looked like the guy jumped to the garage and jumped down to the shock of the chief in the alley.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:48:26 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Truck guys have the same gear but don't use a SCBA tank on roof operations. The weight of those tanks up on a slippery roof will throw you off balance.

I think 2 guys jumped off. I was watching the helicopter footage on a different station and i saw a guy coming off the garage on the other side of building there was prints in snow from middle of garage. They show him just as he was jumping off the garage. It looked like the guy jumped to the garage and jumped down to the shock of the chief in the alley.
View Quote

Lol wut. What department goes on a burning structure without SCBAs
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

"Chicago" truckies don't wear it unless you are doing a surround and drown up in the basket or doing searches. They have the MSA with the hour bottles they are heavy as fuck. Usually the second trucks will throw extra ladders for emergency egress BUT it looked like Murphys law was running the show at shift change (it was around that time). Thank God everyone went home.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Ladders vs. hoses.

Truck: often, but not always, a tractor/trailer unit that also steers at the rear of the vehicle. Truck crew’s role is to rescue people, give the fire and heat someplace else to go. Some also call the truck the “hook and ladder.”

Engine: straight, shorter vehicle. Pumps water, has shitloads of hose lines. Engine crew’s job is to put the fire out.

Some fire houses have both, some have one or the other.

Units from multiple fire houses often respond to the same call.
View Quote

We know.  I’m just wondering wearing I can get this lighter gear when I am on the ladder truck instead of the engine.  God, what I would give to have my 3/4 boots and original Scott 4.5 back.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:54:12 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Never skip leg day.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:54:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

We know.  I’m just wondering wearing I can get this lighter gear when I am on the ladder truck instead of the engine.  God, what I would give to have my 3/4 boots and original Scott 4.5 back.
View Quote

In the era of Nano technology why did they make the equipment heavier and bulky. Really dumb the weight of the MSA batteries.

Yeh 3/4boots were great and having the vibra alert on the mask was the best. You knew if it was your bell with the vibra alert none of this "Whos pass alarm is that!" Embarrassingly it turns out its yours ooops.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 9:56:29 AM EDT
[#33]
That dude has Backdraft on VHS, DVD and Blueray.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:03:59 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
That dude has Backdraft on VHS, DVD and Blueray.
View Quote

And on a Netflix account.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:05:45 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I would have been shedding my gear. That shit is heavy. Hell of a jump.
View Quote

Less of a jump than a ski slope launch.  And that roof he was sitting on was probably getting mighty toasty.

Glad he made it!  That AAR will maybe lead to some reviews on do’s and don’ts.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:10:26 AM EDT
[#36]
Glad he's OK, but I was expecting a skyscraper, not a two-story. He could have just hung from the gutter and dropped to the ground just as easily.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:16:24 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chicago and Detroit don’t operate on roofs with SCBA’s on.  I’m sure others around them don’t either.

It makes absolutely NO sense to me, but that’s the way they’ve operated for a long time.  I’m sure that Fresno Captain that fell through into the fully involved garage a few years ago was glad he had his on, I can’t imagine not.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:17:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Since the early 1870s, Chicago has taken a particularly aggressive stance on fighting fires.

Consider this building the ground zero of the Great Chicago Fire. The Robert J. Quinn Fire Academy was built at DeKoven and Jefferson, on the site of the O’Leary house and barn. “That’s the poetic justice,” Lewis said. “They built the academy to train firefighters on the site.” Outside, a famous sculpture by Egon Weiner meant to represent a flame commemorates the historical event. Inside, visitors can find a firefighter emblem on the floor emblazoned with “1871”— this emblem marks the exact location of the O’Leary barn, where the fire began. Per Smithsonian Magazine.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:20:43 AM EDT
[#39]
Glad he made it. Earned a chunk of his pension that day
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:25:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:26:37 AM EDT
[#41]
brass balls
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:30:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Glade he made it and hope he’s ok.

There’s some derp in this thread.  Not all departments are the same of course, so this may not apply to you.

1. My department buys the same gear for every person.  There isn’t a lighter set for truckies.  SOP prevents us from modifying our gear.  Granted some “squad gods” think they’re above policy and try it from time to time.

2. Every department that I know of, including mine, SOP is roof team wears SCBA and breathes air from it while on the roof.  Why you may ask, because shit happens and if you find yourself falling into the blazing inferno that’s beneath you, you’ll be better protected.  You’ll get fucked up for sure but it gives you a chance.  

Fresno firefighter falls through roof of burning garage

This is a bad day.  He survived but with 3rd degree burns over 70% of his body.  He wore his gear and it helped save him.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:31:13 AM EDT
[#43]
That’s where I was born and raised.

As a cop we always jacked with fire fighters and they jacked with us but when things got real we had to admit they have guts.

I tried to enter a burning house to check for people, got 3 feet in before I realized there was no air to breathe.
Honestly fire scares me.

Glad he made it. Here’s to you smoke eaters.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:39:25 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Damn Crazy Truckies!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Damn Crazy Truckies!
You know why truckies cut the roof?
So they can look inside and see what firemen do for a living.
I sure the brother in that video will get shit from his buddies for losing his tools.

Quoted:
Ladder/Truck companies are a different breed.
Most likely not. We didn't. (FDNY)

Quoted:
Never had that happen. I have, however, been on rooftops where conditions were so shitty that I needed to use my mask.
Had the roof at a taxpayer job, the smoke was so bad it killed my saw. Had to back away from the hole I was cutting to get it restarted.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:42:33 AM EDT
[#45]
Good thing the buildings are only 3 ft away from each other
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:56:10 AM EDT
[#46]
Pucker factor = at least an 8.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:59:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
What was his other choice?
View Quote
This right here.
As a Lieutenant, my old man went head first through a window when the apartment he was in flashed over.
Thank God it was on the first floor, so it was only about a 10/12 foot drop.
He told me later, it never even crossed his mind, what floor he was on - saw the window and fent.
Said if he'd been on the 30th floor, he'd have gone through the glass just as quickly.

Link Posted: 2/20/2021 11:54:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

We had a cop at work (who was a certified nutcase) do it once just for shits and giggles, the Capt. who saw him was not amused though.
View Quote

My best friend's (at the time) brother was killed doing it. He was probably only about 12 years old.   Our parents and the cops came down on us hard after that and rightfully so.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:06:13 PM EDT
[#49]

I hope he gets a week off and a case of beer. Nice jump!
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Good thing the buildings are only 3 ft away from each other
View Quote

How did you come up with that distance?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top