Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/16/2022 9:25:08 PM EDT
https://www.navyrecognition.com/index.php/naval-news/naval-news-archive/2022/march/11474-chinese-type-075-lhd-hainan-reach-ioc-and-could-play-a-role-incase-of-taiwan-taking.html

After a year of training, the Hainan will have full operating capability in the not-too-distant future, Captain Lü Yongjun, the captain of the ship, revealed in a program broadcast by China Central Television (CCTV) on Saturday.

The Hainan entered service with the PLA Navy on April 23, 2021 as China's first amphibious assault ship. Often dubbed a helicopter carrier, the vessel can carry a large number of helicopters in addition to amphibious armored vehicles and tanks, and launch both horizontal and vertical landing missions on islands and reefs, and even land from the sea, analysts said.

By reaching initial operating capability, a warship is ready for deployment for basic missions, and can start to participate in more complicated, realistic combat-oriented exercises to enhance its combat readiness, so the vessel can become fully operational, a Chinese military expert told the Global Times on Wednesday, requesting anonymity.

To the Hainan, it means that not only have the sailors familiarized themselves with the ship, its systems and its weapons, but also that the ship has integrated with the helicopters, the landing craft and the amphibious vehicles that it carries, the expert said.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Is it just me, or does it look woefully under equipped?  No defensive CWIS or RAM at the bow, or apparently anywhere?

Good
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Hmm
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:32:46 PM EDT
[#3]
LoL……..

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:34:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hmm
View Quote

Good.  That is kind of a big deal, especially that they are truck moble and not fixed.  We're finally starting to do that ourselves.  Taiwan has some decent home made ASCMs too.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:39:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Just wait OP, plenty of posters will come along to joke that China cant build ships or ships that work yet they are unaware China's shipyards build the majority of ships for the global maritime community.  And they are nice and meet all stringent international codes and regulations.

Chinese shipyards can spit out a ship before our shipyards can agree what kind of coffee to supply the union slugs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:40:56 PM EDT
[#7]
it will make a nice fish habitat.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:43:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Well.  It's purty.  
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:44:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Is it just me, or does it look woefully under equipped?  No defensive CWIS or RAM at the bow, or apparently anywhere?

Good
View Quote

Not great resolution on that pic, but looks to me like something very similar to RAM forward of the island, and several sponson mounted items farther aft that could be weapons.

ETA Wiki claims 2 x 30mm CIWS and 2 x HQ10 SAM, which is their equivalent of RAM with a similar appearance.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:47:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Taiwan should be investing in anti ship missiles.  

No way for China to take it, if they can't get close enough to land troops and equipment.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:50:55 PM EDT
[#11]
How’s Taiwan’s sub fleet? I know they had a homegrown project but not sure where they are at with it.

They’re going to need subs. Lot of subs.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:52:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Just wait OP, plenty of posters will come along to joke that China cant build ships or ships that work yet they are unaware China's shipyards build the majority of ships for the global maritime community.  And they are nice and meet all stringent international codes and regulations.

Chinese shipyards can spit out a ship before our shipyards can agree what kind of coffee to supply the union slugs.
View Quote

This is how I see it as well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks right hand drive to me...
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:00:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:00:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Where do the tracks come out for going on land? Amphibious my ass.

Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:06:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Good
View Quote

Why would an artificial reef need CIWS?
Link Posted: 3/16/2022 10:58:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good

Pfft.  To keep the sharks with lasers away of course.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 12:16:51 AM EDT
[#18]
That looks like a really great MK48 or Harpoon magnet.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 1:48:49 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Really…the majority?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 2:24:19 AM EDT
[#20]

Meanwhile, America is in the bottom 17%. Somewhere.

I guess it's easier to sleep at night if you just keep believing the US isn't fucking up as much as it us. Them quarterly profits tho...
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 2:28:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Too bad their dock workers don't have the same work ethic as the folks that worked on Bonhomme Richard.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 3:14:42 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I guess it's easier to sleep at night if you just keep believing the US isn't fucking up as much as it us. Them quarterly profits tho...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Building a container ship isn’t the same as building an Aircraft Carrier.  If it was everyone would do it…
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 3:31:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Building a container ship isn’t the same as building an Aircraft Carrier.  If it was everyone would do it…
View Quote

Well... They're doing it. Not sure what your point is.

Unlike the average Chinese apartment building,  China will spend top dollar on their military hardware.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 4:02:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Unlike the average Chinese apartment building,  China will spend top dollar on their military hardware.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The point?

Well…Building a container ship isn’t the same as building an Aircraft Carrier.  
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 9:18:49 AM EDT
[#25]
Biden should sell them some F35Bs to put on her.
Link Posted: 3/17/2022 12:53:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Uneducated question - How effective is the low and slow Harpoon going to be against a fully modern ship with CIWS and similar missile defense like this one, presumably supported by other similarly modern ships?  Large volley strictly required to get any through to target?

I know the USN is working a number of newer and better anti-ship missiles with stealth, higher speed, and or avoidance technologies, but obviously the Harpoon is still going to be a workhorse for a number of years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top