Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/29/2024 10:27:07 PM EDT
I have a 2006 Chevy Avalanche with a "Service Airbag" message. I've checked the connectors, need a code reader. Local auto parts only have check engine light readers. Any recommendations ?
Link Posted: 6/29/2024 10:58:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have this one, been happy with it. It says it can read/reset SRS, but I've never tried:

Amazon Product
  • Turn your iPhone, Android device, or Windows PC into a professional-grade diagnostic scan tool

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:04:05 PM EDT
[#2]
When you say you checked the wires, you mean this?

2000-2006 GM Truck- Service Air Bag- Check This First!!!

Link Posted: 6/29/2024 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you say you checked the wires, you mean this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdnvTLOJ8-w
View Quote

Yeah, including the one under the steering wheel.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I have THIS one and have been happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 8:12:21 AM EDT
[#5]
I have an Autel 629. It reads ABS, SRS, Engine and Transmission codes on most anything. Set me back about $140. Has PIDS and real time data as well as fuel trim. Pretty decent unit.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 11:58:22 AM EDT
[#6]
All the ones recommended looked pretty legit. I almost went to Harbor Freight just so I wouldn't have to wait. Ordered the Autel from Amazon, $142 with tax. Find out later this week how it works. Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 12:27:23 PM EDT
[#7]
A basic $10 bt dongle or a $30 code reader won't be able to do much past the basics.

My "fancy" one is the xtool dongle.  It was $180.  It pairs with your phone and has all the functionality of their much more expensive scan tools, but since you use your own phone/tablet, you dont need to buy theirs.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 4:06:47 PM EDT
[#8]
You could drop by autozone and have them read the code for you.  They do it for free.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 4:13:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You could drop by autozone and have them read the code for you.  They do it for free.
View Quote

Its like you didn't read a single word of the OP or any of the replies.

See title, make reply.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 6:00:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Can the ones recommended here show historical data?
Like if my check engine light was on, and then went off, will they show me why?
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 6:33:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I'll post results.  I had a check engine light couple months ago that was intermittent then went away. I thought it might have been bad gas. I'll see if the history pulls up
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 6:59:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
A basic $10 bt dongle or a $30 code reader won't be able to do much past the basics.

My "fancy" one is the xtool dongle.  It was $180.  It pairs with your phone and has all the functionality of their much more expensive scan tools, but since you use your own phone/tablet, you dont need to buy theirs.
View Quote

Is the software on your phone the real limiting factor? I bought a dongle a few years back. I use the pay for Torque software. Last summer I had an intermittent O2 sensor. I downloaded an add on for Torque and could watch the output from  my sensors. Turned out I had a defective O2 sensor from NAPA. Maybe there no add on for what OP is looking for.
Link Posted: 6/30/2024 7:43:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is the software on your phone the real limiting factor? I bought a dongle a few years back. I use the pay for Torque software. Last summer I had an intermittent O2 sensor. I downloaded an add on for Torque and could watch the output from  my sensors. Turned out I had a defective O2 sensor from NAPA. Maybe there no add on for what OP is looking for.
View Quote

The dongle has to support whatever feature you want it to do.  No amount of fancy software on your phone will turn a $10 into a bidirectional monster able to compete with a $2k snap-on scan tool.  

The software on your phone does have to correctly communicate with the dongle.  But it won't magically give the dongle powers it didn't have before.  Thats why I also bought a $180 dongle.  They provide android software to go along with it.  The fancy dongle can do a lot, and the software they provide lets your tablet access all those features.  I don't think I could fire up the torque app and it would be able to do even half what it can do with the xtool software.
Link Posted: 7/3/2024 7:18:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I got the Autel scanner today. After registering it I connected it and pulled the code. B0100 DTC front end (sensor 1).  I don't have a check engine light now but had one maybe a month or so ago. I got trouble code P0172 and P0175 system too rich bank 1 & 2. I'll order a sensor and then deal with the fuel mixture issue. Truck runs good, no rough idle.  Happy with the scanner.
Link Posted: 7/6/2024 12:24:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Tech 2 clones are available from Asia for ~$300 and you can do everything the dealer could on your Avalanche with a Tech 2. You can reprogram modules, do true 2-way functions to verify operability of components. For example, I can roll my windows up/down with my Tech 2, I can put things into test and diagnostics mode, read ALL sensor data on every system. I can control audio, HVAC, rear wheel steering, lights, and more. For $300 I highly recommend it for anybody with an OBD 2 GM vehicle prior to 2010-2014 (the comms protocol was switched over in that range, the exact year depends on what vehicle you have).
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 10:56:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Could these codes have been read by a cheap scanner or do you need the Autel?
Link Posted: 7/23/2024 12:12:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Could these codes have been read by a cheap scanner or do you need the Autel?
View Quote

Simple code readers only read P codes. Never would have pulled the B code.
Top Top