Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/1/2022 11:54:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Meh, jumper it on the control board. Keep the discount, run the AC.
View Quote

Too much work, incandescent lightbulb and cheap cooler.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:01:47 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
VOLUNTARY program for a discount.
View Quote

Which is why I didn't sign up for it. I can install my own thermostat thank you very much.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 12:07:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Lol 78 is fine.

Mine is 78 during the day and 76 at night. Its been in the 90s for months.   Pussies
View Quote

Weird flex but okay
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 2:22:22 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Ha. We dont have AC
View Quote

We don't either.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 2:37:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Keep a manual thermostat handy.
View Quote

Or, there's only like 4 or 5 wires in there.  Twist the right ones together and it comes on like magic.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 2:49:38 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Get a window unit.    But seriously who has a thermostat the power company can lock?   Never heard of such a thing.
View Quote

How is this possible? Smart meters?
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 3:09:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Utility connected meters that have a demand response capability built in. The utility can change the setting remotely during periods of high demand in order to shed load.

Large users have control rooms that look like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise for the same purpose.

Regardless, it's a voluntary system.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:03:07 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
During the dog days of summer, it's important to keep your home cool. But when thousands of Xcel customers in Colorado tried adjusting their thermostats Tuesday, they learned they had no control over the temperatures in their own homes.
Temperatures climbed into the 90s Tuesday, which is why Tony Talarico tried to crank up the air conditioning in his partner's Arvada home.
"I mean, it was 90 out, and it was right during the peak period," Talarico said. "It was hot."
That's when he saw a message on the thermostat stating the temperature was locked due to an "energy emergency."
"Normally, when we see a message like that, we're able to override it," Talarico said. "In this case, we weren't. So, our thermostat was locked in at 78 or 79."
On social media, dozens of Xcel customers complained of similar experiences   some reporting home temperatures as high as 88 degrees.
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/contact-denver7/thousands-of-xcel-customers-locked-out-of-thermostats-during-energy-emergency
View Quote

you mean when you hand over control to the power company for a very very slight discount they do what they want with your thermostat?

yeah no shit. Stupid asses.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:04:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Get a window unit.    But seriously who has a thermostat the power company can lock?   Never heard of such a thing.
View Quote

almost 100% chance if you go to your online account for your power company, you can find a way to get a *new* thermostat for *free* that will *save you money on your power bill*

and then, here we are.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:24:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

The same people who buy their cars at “buy here-pay here” places that install interlocks that shut your shit off when you stop paying.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:39:34 AM EDT
[#11]
That shit was on my house when I moved in. Promptly cut it loose and overrode it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:45:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Utility connected meters that have a demand response capability built in. The utility can change the setting remotely during periods of high demand in order to shed load.

Large users have control rooms that look like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise for the same purpose.

View Quote

Is that a smart meter?
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 4:52:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Is that a smart meter?
View Quote

No. Demand response is older than smart meters, but it is more sophisticated than ever now.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 5:15:10 AM EDT
[#14]
With these smart meters they can selectively punish whoever they want.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:15:55 AM EDT
[#15]
It's all voluntary until the lights go out for good!
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:24:41 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

They can get your electrical usage without having a meterman coming every month to read your meter.  It's wireless.  Who's to say they can't replace your meter with one they can shut off any time they want.  You can have your thermostat set to anything you want.  If you're not getting power to the house, it won't matter much.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Heh...how they going to do that to me when I have a non-smart thermostat in the winter and air conditioning units that I turn on at random in the summer?  

They can get your electrical usage without having a meterman coming every month to read your meter.  It's wireless.  Who's to say they can't replace your meter with one they can shut off any time they want.  You can have your thermostat set to anything you want.  If you're not getting power to the house, it won't matter much.

They can already shut you off with a few keystrokes. No one has to come to your house now. The gas side, even though they are smart also, need to be physically shut off and turned on but that is due to the [doh!] flammable nature of natural gas and safety.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:29:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Yep, people don't understand the implications of what they are volunteering for. Kinda like student loans.

I've got a smart thermostat, but ain't nobody else got access to it to control it!
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:30:10 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm glad I'm in a free state.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:32:45 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
In a few years they'll not only be locking your thermostat, they'll be stopping you from charging your EV.

Remember interstate travel restrictions during Covid? How badly would they have wanted to keep you home by simply not allowing you to drive "because emergency."
View Quote
This is the thing people never think of.  I'm sure someone will reply with, "Well, they'll just shut off the gas pumps!"  While that may be true, I can store fuel at home, and bring extra with me.  I suppose you could also keep a generator with extra gas/propane/diesel at home to tow behind your ev, too.  I wonder how many people won't mind a little local ICE exhaust in order to travel.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:34:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Same dumbfucks that sign up to have their insurance company government track their driving habits firearms
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
If you really want to be pissed ask Excel how many Kw are going to California during these "Energy Emergency" shortages.
View Quote
Will LibreOffice Calc tell me, too?
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:35:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Forgive me for stereotyping Colorado liberals, but I don't think Tony and his "partner" are the type of people that could remove a thermostat, much less "hotwire" it on.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:35:47 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I did that for 6 weeks right after the plague shut everything down. Didn't drive the car at all and sent the tracker back. Got a decent discount on my insurance for it
View Quote
Modern problems/solutions.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:38:00 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
No a/c; no care.

We usually see a big difference between day and night temperatures (20-30 degrees).  I keep upstairs windows open; and as the evening cools, I open the main floor windows.  The house floods with cool air overnight and we close the main floor windows in the morning.  The house stays comfortable.  On very hot days I run one box fan upstairs venting out a window to pull air through.  And when it hits 100 outside, we just sleep in the basement.  With blankets.

I did a solar evaluation once and it came back with a 20-year payoff due to our low energy bill.
View Quote
Solar would only help a bit in the summer.  We do the open windows thing.  Though, with a '57 ranch with small windows, a breeze is required.  Box fans don't fit in any window.    Gas hot water heat, gas cooktop, gas dryer, gas water heater.  All to be outlawed by NY communist party in 2035.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:38:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
The ones connected to skynet.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:39:21 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote
So were seat belts at one time.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:40:07 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
My thermostats are dumb as shit.
View Quote

Yup.  My house is so old you can have the heat and the AC on at the same time.  I can totally drain the grid AND natural gas lines if I wanted to
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:40:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Yep, people don't understand the implications of what they are volunteering for. Kinda like student loans.

I've got a smart thermostat, but ain't nobody else got access to it to control it!
View Quote
Have you checked the source code of the firmware to verify that?
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:40:58 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yup.  My house is so old you can have the heat and the AC on at the same time.  I can totally drain the grid AND natural gas lines if I wanted to
View Quote
Hunter?  Is that you?!
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:49:09 AM EDT
[#30]
This is just the beginning. The electric co will mandate a smart thermostat. Gas co will do the same. You can’t opt out. Can’t afford one? They will provide one. Refuse, they will install one out side.  orAll will be supported and enforce by the state.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:55:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
This is just the beginning. The electric co will mandate a smart thermostat. Gas co will do the same. You can’t opt out. Can’t afford one? They will provide one. Refuse, they will install one out side.  orAll will be supported and enforce by the state.
View Quote

We already heat exclusively with wood.
Now all I need to do is figure out how to build a wood-fired air conditioner.  It's a puzzlement.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:59:19 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Now all I need to do is figure out how to build a wood-fired air conditioner.  It's a puzzlement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Piece of cake, wood heat to boil water to make steam, steam to turn a generator, generator to produce electricity to run A/C. You'll want to use a condensing steam setup to be more efficient. Of course you'll want to use electronics to run it without standing by 25/7.

Now the cost to build it and run it.............well, it will cost you.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:00:38 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Easy.  Wood burning gasifier to run the generator to power the HVAC.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:21:31 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Lol 78 is fine.

Mine is 78 during the day and 76 at night. Its been in the 90s for months.   Pussies
View Quote

nobody cares what your doing Mr. Superhero
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:27:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

Smart Meters cannot control individual appliances.  People get a smart thermostat from their electric provider and the provider maintains admin access to the thermostat
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:47:50 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

I can unplug a couple of antennas in my 1yo gas vehicle and it works just fine. How’s a Tesla work when it loses comms with the mothership?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
In a few years they'll not only be locking your thermostat, they'll be stopping you from charging your EV.

Remember interstate travel restrictions during Covid? How badly would they have wanted to keep you home by simply not allowing you to drive "because emergency."
They'll try to force people to carpool by only unlocking the electric cars certain days of the week.  

Dear customer.  Looks like three other people at your work are signed up for commiedrivevirtuesignal.  We have designated each of you one day a week where you can pick eachother up and carpool. If your car has not returned home within two hours of your shift end we will double your charge fee.

They can do that with a gas car too. I don't know why you people insist on being willfully ignorant. It's not sexy.

They can also refuse to sell you gas.

I can unplug a couple of antennas in my 1yo gas vehicle and it works just fine. How’s a Tesla work when it loses comms with the mothership?

You can take the comms module out of a Tesla and it works just fine.....pretty sure we have a member here that did it.  You won't receive the normal software updates that Tesla pushes out but other than that the car works the same.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 9:56:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Utilities have been doing demand response long before smart meters came along.  In my area, they had a device they would install directly on the outdoor AC unit that they could switch on/off.  It could be controlled over their own comms network or have a cell modem in it.  Just like this story though, it was a voluntary program that the homeowner had to enroll in.

Smart meters are not as smart as most people give them credit for.  They record usage just like the older meters did, the primary difference is they have the ability to send and receive the data via comms vs sending someone out to read them.  

Not all smart meters have the ability to be remotely shut off either, the disconnect switch is a physical switch that is installed in the meter and it has to be ordered with it.  The disconnect switch doubles the cost of the meter, so most utilities only install them on rental properties and accounts that have frequent disconnects for nonpayment.  Rolling a truck to shut off an account today because someone is moving out, then sending them back out 3 days later to reconnect when someone moves in, is expensive....so they can cost justify the disconnect switch.  Adding a switch to an account that hasn't been disconnected / reconnected in 10 years makes no financial sense for the utility.

I worked in the utility industry for a company that sold metering / communications systems to utilities all over the country for 11 years.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Utilities have been doing demand response long before smart meters came along.  In my area, they had a device they would install directly on the outdoor AC unit that they could switch on/off.  It could be controlled over their own comms network or have a cell modem in it.  Just like this story though, it was a voluntary program that the homeowner had to enroll in.

Smart meters are not as smart as most people give them credit for.  They record usage just like the older meters did, the primary difference is they have the ability to send and receive the data via comms vs sending someone out to read them.  

Not all smart meters have the ability to be remotely shut off either, the disconnect switch is a physical switch that is installed in the meter and it has to be ordered with it.  The disconnect switch doubles the cost of the meter, so most utilities only install them on rental properties and accounts that have frequent disconnects for nonpayment.  Rolling a truck to shut off an account today because someone is moving out, then sending them back out 3 days later to reconnect when someone moves in, is expensive....so they can cost justify the disconnect switch.  Adding a switch to an account that hasn't been disconnected / reconnected in 10 years makes no financial sense for the utility.

I worked in the utility industry for a company that sold metering / communications systems to utilities all over the country for 11 years.
View Quote

On the minus side with smart meters, the failure rate is far higher then was expected, so much so that much of the time that used to be spent doing physical disconnects is now taken up by replacing defective smart meters. The failure rate is FAR higher then was promised by the manufacturer, so much so that they are eating some of the replacement costs.

Job security............
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:20:19 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
i can't wait till California turns off everyone's power and car chargers, lol
View Quote

"You'll own nothing and go no where and you'll be happy "
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:24:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I was told on this very forum, within the last month, that this sort of thing was tinfoil, and anyone that thought this could happen is a luddite boomer.
View Quote

No you weren't.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:31:45 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

They can do that with a gas car too. I don't know why you people insist on being willfully ignorant. It's not sexy.

View Quote

The advantage of a gasoline powered vehicle over an electric one
is that you are getting your fuel from a private sector company
instead of a public government controlled utility.

This is WHY the government is trying to push everyone
into electric cars, so they can CONTROL them...

...and the dumbfucks are playing right into their hands.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:35:09 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

And that is WHY the government wants everyone in electric cars, so they can CONTROL them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

And that is WHY the government wants everyone in electric cars, so they can CONTROL them.

Folks with the room can also store gas for emergencies.  Not huge quantities, but better than nothin'.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:48:30 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Folks with the room can also store gas for emergencies.  Not huge quantities, but better than nothin'.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can charge a car off solar.  Not fast, but better than nothin'
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote

Thanks for sharing that fascinating piece of useful information.

For a brief moment in time, our utility actually offered their customers the choice to opt out of the Smart Meter program, so we did. They do a physical meter read every two months with the one in between an estimate.

This works great for us as we pay one simple flat anytime use rate and the electro-mechanical meter has no external electronic control mechanism.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:54:04 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Lol 78 is fine.

View Quote

I generally can't tolerate anything over about 75 if I am doing physical work around the house.  My wife complains of being cold if it's much below that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:56:24 AM EDT
[#46]
Take those "smart" thermostats off and replace with an old school manual T-stat = problem solved. It's only a 3-4 wires that have to be switched over.

I've seen lots of youtubes with HVAC guys that hate those things. They are a such a hassle to diagnose if there is a problem with a computerized thermostat.

Link Posted: 9/2/2022 10:59:22 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

They can stop someone from putting gas into their car that they already have? Like from a gas can?

Willfully ignorant........lol
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 11:12:13 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Take those "smart" thermostats off and replace with an old school manual T-stat = problem solved. It's only a 3-4 wires that have to be switched over.

I've seen lots of youtubes with HVAC guys that hate those things. They are a such a hassle to diagnose if there is a problem with a computerized thermostat.

https://www.desertsunsnm.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/07/Old-Thermostat.jpg

https://2020cadillac.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/how-to-install-the-nest-thermostat-the-craftsman-blog-nest-thermostat-wiring-diagram.png
View Quote

Unless it's my house [and more then a couple customers houses I've been to] where some dipstick changed wire colors half way thru the wiring system. And if you have no common, [very typical in older houses] forget it, the manufacturers may claim it will work but it really won't long term.

PS, quit lying when you call for repairs and just admit the issues started with your HVAC when you replaced the thermostat yourself so I don't waste time checking other parts of your system.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 7:50:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They make propane refrigerators and air conditioners.  There are wood-fired automobiles which use wood gas.  Look into powering an AC using wood gas.
Link Posted: 9/2/2022 8:27:24 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
They sign up for that usually to get a discount.

Never give up control of the thermostat.
View Quote

Yep, the last offer I remember getting was $35 for a year. I laughed when I saw it. Why TF would I give up that control for a one time $35 discount? People really are that stupid.

Same thing with their Smart Meter program only you had to opt out to not get it. So much bullshit! Even after I opted out, a guy showed up to replace my meter anyway. At least he knocked first so I had the chance to refuse it.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top