BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:56:07 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The model 14 was the pinnacle of .38 caliber target guns.
I'd guess the model 10 would be for all non target guns.
View Quote
The fixed-sight Detective Special would be most comparable to the model 10, smaller but only very slightly so.
Closer to the K than the J, to my hands.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 3:05:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I like how they feel in the hand and they seem to conceal well.....didnt get to shoot one though.........they seem like the perfect 38....
View Quote
Not. Even. Close.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
No, it isn't.

The DS-II is the best of them all, because it had a thicker top strap making it better able to digest +P than Gen 3's or even the SF-VI.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
3rd issue DS is best DS.  Less fragile Trooper-style lockwork that doesn't stack, looks good with the barrel shroud, shorter grip frame for pocket-friendly grip options, and can handle a limited diet of +p.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/19198/E62D145A-E74E-40E6-86B4-E983CBB36827-471754.JPG
No, it isn't.

The DS-II is the best of them all, because it had a thicker top strap making it better able to digest +P than Gen 3's or even the SF-VI.

OK, you got me there... but the 3rd issue has the advantage that most of us can actually afford to buy one and not worry about using it for daily carry.  Or, you could get all of your advantages in the new Cobra, which is actually starting to show up available and in-stock around MSRP.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:02:40 AM EDT
[#4]

S&W model 36 3inch.  Wife's grandpa bought it brand new. Shot it once.  It belongs to my son when he turns 18.

edited

this is not the actual gun.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:09:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I carried a Colt DS as a backup while on the street and primary as a Det (I was a LEO before SA were issued).  I bought a second one from a friend and will keep both.  Yes, it's easier to carry my 642, but IMO there is something about the look and feel of a Colt DS that makes it a keeper and sets them apart from other 38's.
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 11:14:45 AM EDT
[#6]
I carry the 637 all the time.

Left front pocket in a small holster.

Can't tell it's there at all.

Personally, I went with an exposed hammer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2018 2:37:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The fixed-sight Detective Special would be most comparable to the model 10, smaller but only very slightly so.
Closer to the K than the J, to my hands.
View Quote
K frame speed loaders fit the DS as well.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top