Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/13/2021 10:51:52 AM EDT
I can not get this stupid laptop out of safe mode. I have gone the command prompt route and it wants a recovery key. I go to Microsoft and it says there is no recovery key. I "skip" the drive and enter bcdedit /deletevalue {default} safeboot

It doesn't recognize bcdedit...

Is this machine even capable of being removed from safe mode? It does say on the box sticker "Windows 10 Home in S Mode [ 8 ] [46]

HP Pavilion x360 m 14m-dw1013dx

Can't download drivers or anything like this.

Eta: I finally figured out the issue. Apparently when the secretary set the computer up she had added a user with a.org email address. I had to remove that account and once I did that I was able to get out of s mode.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:53:35 AM EDT
[#1]
Windows version?
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:55:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Windows version?
View Quote

Windows 10 Home in S Mode  [ 8 ][46]

Please tell me they don't now have a version that is incapable of being removed from safe mode.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:56:30 AM EDT
[#3]
'S' mode is not 'Safe' mode.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:56:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Did you just buy it?  If so, take it back, let them figure it out.  Sounds like a software key/registration issue with Windows.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:56:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Licensing issue
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 10:57:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
There's not really enough info to go on here.
But, if you Hit the "Windows" and "R" keys together and type "msconfig" you can bring up the system configuration window.
Check the "Boot" tab and see if "Safe Mode" is checked.
View Quote

It is not checked.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:00:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Found this...from HERE

If you bought a Windows 10 PC with S mode installed, you may have been surprised by what you couldn't do. Don't be dismayed--you aren't stuck with S mode. In fact, you can switch out of S mode at any time.

To switch from S mode to the full version of Windows 10 hiding behind it, navigate to Settings | Update And Security | Activation. In the Activation menu, look for Switch To Windows 10 Pro (or Home--you'll see one of the two depending on what version of Windows 10 your computer has).

Clicking Switch will open the Microsoft Store and prompt you to "Get" the full version, akin to installing an app. Once you do that, your PC will switch over to its full version of Windows 10 and you'll be free to install whatever apps you wish.

Be forewarned: Switching out of S mode is a one-way street. Once you turn S mode off, you can't go back, which could be bad news for someone with a low-end PC that doesn't run a full version of Windows 10 very well.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:02:20 AM EDT
[#8]
Never mind, I'll shut up now.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Oh this is easy:

1. Go to https://zorin.com/os/

2. Download the latest version and write it to a thumb drive

3. boot from said thumb drive and follow the prompts

4. Say bye bye, Windows!

Link Posted: 10/13/2021 11:24:15 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Found this...from HERE

If you bought a Windows 10 PC with S mode installed, you may have been surprised by what you couldn't do. Don't be dismayed--you aren't stuck with S mode. In fact, you can switch out of S mode at any time.

To switch from S mode to the full version of Windows 10 hiding behind it, navigate to Settings | Update And Security | Activation. In the Activation menu, look for Switch To Windows 10 Pro (or Home--you'll see one of the two depending on what version of Windows 10 your computer has).

Clicking Switch will open the Microsoft Store and prompt you to "Get" the full version, akin to installing an app. Once you do that, your PC will switch over to its full version of Windows 10 and you'll be free to install whatever apps you wish.

Be forewarned: Switching out of S mode is a one-way street. Once you turn S mode off, you can't go back, which could be bad news for someone with a low-end PC that doesn't run a full version of Windows 10 very well.
View Quote

We tried that. It doesn't give me a "switch" option. It only tries to sell me Windows 10/11 Pro in S Mode.

What a load of crap. Buy a new computer and can't do squat unless you spend another $100. My son's cheap Lenovo didn't give me this much hassle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top