Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

how many bitcoin is a carton of newports
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont think you understand how bitcoin works.you can take your bitcoin to prison or to the grave.

And who ends up in possession of the actual block chain, if that valuation is not in whole bitcoins?
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont think you understand how bitcoin works.you can take your bitcoin to prison or to the grave.

.0016666667 approximately
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

And who ends up in possession of the actual block chain, if that valuation is not in whole bitcoins?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everyone can be in possession of the Bitcoin block chain.  It’s the decentralized ledger of everyone’s transactions.  Right now, a carton of Newport’s would cost you 141,760 Satoshis
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:13:58 PM EDT
[#4]
How would you use Bitcoin in prison?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:22:37 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm  just here to point out that crashing the cryptocurrency system was probably one of the top 5 goals of the globalists.  They want to control all the money, Crypto was bucking that system from day one.  I told my kid "don't put all your eggs in that basket, if too many of the wrong people are getting rich on it they will fuck it over".
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:25:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm  just here to point out that crashing the cryptocurrency system was probably one of the top 5 goals of the globalists.  They want to control all the money, Crypto was bucking that system from day one.  I told my kid "don't put all your eggs in that basket, if too many of the wrong people are getting rich on it they will fuck it over".
View Quote

That was always my thought and word of caution to folks as well. I made a little bit of money day trading crypto. But I have never trusted anything too much that the government can just say, nope, we are done with that.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Coinbase added a disclosure to their financials that warned people what could happen if they went bankrupt. It was just a CYA that got overblown.
View Quote

No you're right, was totally just some legal mumbo jumbo. Completely overblown *cough* Mt Gox *cough*
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:32:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Come join the discord.  New discord, for arfcommers to talk about finances, investing, and crypto.

https://discord.gg/ZBWUATDu

It's a work in progress, if you join you won't see anything until given a role.

Cheers.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 12:42:50 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That was always my thought and word of caution to folks as well. I made a little bit of money day trading crypto. But I have never trusted anything too much that the government can just say, nope, we are done with that.
View Quote

I'll see if I can find some of the screenshots from the LUNA threads.

People who lost their life savings are the ones that just YOLO'ed into it without any due diligence or even a thought it could ever go down
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:03:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 1:17:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
How would you use Bitcoin in prison?
View Quote

Phone call to someone on the outside.  Cell phone with a data plan inside.  Maybe access a proxy through a prison library computer.  Ed Calderon had a video where he talks about how prisoners store value inside, and crypto is one of them.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Phone call to someone on the outside.  Cell phone with a data plan inside.  Maybe access a proxy through a prison library computer.  Ed Calderon had a video where he talks about how prisoners store value inside, and crypto is one of them.
View Quote

So in other words, outside the prison.  Bitcoin is not magic.  This idea that it's a digital currency, a floor wax, and a dessert topping makes it sound like snake oil. I don't think it helps the cause.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:27:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

So in other words, outside the prison.  Bitcoin is not magic.  This idea that it's a digital currency, a floor wax, and a dessert topping makes it sound like snake oil. I don't think it helps the cause.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’m not sure I follow your reasoning?  This started off with, “you can take your crypto to prison.”  You asked, “how much for a carton of Newports?”  The price was given as was a means of exchange.  Now crypto isn’t magic because the funds transfer has to happen outside prison?  How else would it work?  You can’t hand him USD from your prison wallet.  With USD, you’d still have to get someone else to put money in the guy’s commissary, pay one of his people on the outside, or have access to the internet.  This isn’t magic is right.  It’s happening right now in prisons due to sufficiently advanced technology.

Proof of concept, I sent someone from AR15 some bitcoin because I lost a bet on the 2021 EOY price.  All they had to give me was their bitcoin wallet address, and I deposited the funds.  It took a couple of minutes, and they had their money.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:36:38 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Come join the discord.  New discord, for arfcommers to talk about finances, investing, and crypto.

Cheers.
View Quote
@warsparrow

Joined, but never used discord before.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:43:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You can use it as a currency but most people use it as a store of value. A 12-24 word recovery phrase is all that's required to memorize to have the ability to leave everything behind and start over somewhere else. You don't even need to keep it written down anywhere. All of it can exist in your head. and so long as the internet is still up and one node survives so will your coins. If you were in the ukraine when the war kicked off, that would have a lot of utility wouldn't it?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can use it as a currency but most people use it as a store of value. A 12-24 word recovery phrase is all that's required to memorize to have the ability to leave everything behind and start over somewhere else. You don't even need to keep it written down anywhere. All of it can exist in your head. and so long as the internet is still up and one node survives so will your coins. If you were in the ukraine when the war kicked off, that would have a lot of utility wouldn't it?

https://cointelegraph.com/news/crypto-donations-fund-atvs-and-gas-masks-for-ukrainian-military

The Ukrainian military thinks so.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:47:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Cheers.
View Quote

What do you think we're doing here?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 4:59:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What do you think we're doing here?
View Quote

Join. Or don't join. I really don't care.  Having an organized discord, with real time chat, voice, and a place to keep lots of info for beginners is a good thing.

You obviously don't use "crypto twitter" and discord to find things early.

I created this discord for arfcommers to come and learn, share, help each other. I'm not posting sensitive crypto information on arf.

Discord has tons of features like voice chat... for example.

Want to ask someone in voice about taxes, this, that, or the other and don't want to read a bunch of retarded replies on arfcom? This discord fixes that.

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 6:59:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Cheers.
View Quote

50 post count user wanting us to use another platform.

Hmmm.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:38:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Hmmm.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers.

Hmmm.

No no. Switching to some internet dudes private Discord account to focus an your individual wealth management sounds like a solid plan.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:40:02 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

No no. Switching to some internet dudes private Discord account to focus an your individual wealth management sounds like a solid plan.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cheers.

Hmmm.

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Now crypto isn’t magic because the funds transfer has to happen outside prison?  How else would it work?  
View Quote

Never mind, we agree.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Can you believe people actually bought a piece of that blue sky!

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:17:27 PM EDT
[#25]
When the shoe shine boy is giving stock tips……
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:17:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Hmmm.
View Quote

LOL from a 20er.

Been around since 06 and don't my OG account.

POST COUNT DERP YOU DONT HAVE A PICTURE NEXT TO YOUR NAME- shit gets old.

What does post count matter if all you post is shit?
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:29:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I haven't seen shit about news on a crash (or lack thereof), but I know metric fuckton of people in the office who have a lot of money in crypto.   Most of those with almost all their savings in it are usually under 30.

Can't really blame them, a lot of people decided during the last couple of years that the only way to get ahead was to speculate.

What is generally regarded as the preeminent military power in the world won't hunt you down and kill you for failing to pay debts to them denominated in Bitcoin.  There is a difference - even if BTC may even be a superior currency in a lot of ways, by design.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alarmist bullcrap.

People are going to lose their homes because Bitcoin and Etherium are down? Say what?

Yes

Members here have posted they know people that put everything in crypto, then lost it all.

Is it the majority? Don't know, but bet it's more than a few.

I haven't seen shit about news on a crash (or lack thereof), but I know metric fuckton of people in the office who have a lot of money in crypto.   Most of those with almost all their savings in it are usually under 30.

Can't really blame them, a lot of people decided during the last couple of years that the only way to get ahead was to speculate.

Quoted:

Not really, most US$ are just as intangible as bitcoin.  Both are backed by the same thing, nothing.

What is generally regarded as the preeminent military power in the world won't hunt you down and kill you for failing to pay debts to them denominated in Bitcoin.  There is a difference - even if BTC may even be a superior currency in a lot of ways, by design.
The Global Hegemon is many things, but it's definitely not "nothing."
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:44:48 PM EDT
[#28]
See this is why I spend all my money on guns and ammo, haha
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 8:59:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
if too many of the wrong people are getting rich on it they will fuck it over".
View Quote

Exactly
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:33:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Exactly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
if too many of the wrong people are getting rich on it they will fuck it over".

Exactly

same shit with them god damn Tulip bulbs!

Also, BTC is down 40% from Jan, the SP500 is only down 17%, Golds pretty much flat and the USD index is up 8% ytd

If any of you Rhodes Scholars think at this exact moment in time that BTC is a fucking legit competitor to the USD you people are HIGH AF.

There is absolutely too much variance in the price action for this to actually be taken serious as a real means of trade.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There is absolutely too much variance in the price action for this to actually be taken serious as a real means of trade.
View Quote

No one really thinks it is, it's just gambling.  I don't care if it is gambling cause freedom, but it's gambling.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:07:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:20:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
See this is why I spend all my money on guns and ammo, haha
View Quote

Seemingly the safest hedge there is across all markets... until they ban it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:03:08 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

How is the current crypto market any different than having money in the stock market?

Values go down, values go up.

The only way someone is "losing it all" is by purchasing a bunch of shitcoins at their peak value during a pump and dump and having the value crash and never go back up.
View Quote

Stocks are backed by assets and productive capability, you are gambling current management won't fuck up a good thing and go bankrupt.  Crypto has no intrinsic value beyond the market and no utility beyond what someone is willing to give you for it.  It is purely speculative.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:06:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:26:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Tell me you don’t understand proof of work without telling me you don’t understand proof of work.
View Quote

Tell me you think you are a monetary genius w/o telling me….  

Cryptographic verification is a mundane utility in all sorts of digital transactions including this post.  While it has a value, it doesn’t posses any intrinsic value.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Stocks are backed by assets and productive capability, you are gambling current management won't fuck up a good thing and go bankrupt.  Crypto has no intrinsic value beyond the market and no utility beyond what someone is willing to give you for it.  It is purely speculative.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

How is the current crypto market any different than having money in the stock market?

Values go down, values go up.

The only way someone is "losing it all" is by purchasing a bunch of shitcoins at their peak value during a pump and dump and having the value crash and never go back up.

It may not be worth a tenth of what it is even now but what you said is factually untrue.

There is utility in an internet protocol for moving value across the internet and even if that utility today is merely money laundering and drugs then that utility is a non-zero number.

Once we establish that utility is already a non-zero number then it is fair to speculate on the degree to which that utility could be expanded to other useful areas with further development of the protocol.

So "no utility" and "purely speculative" is flat out untrue.

It may have little utility and be mostly speculative but there is legitimate minimum levels of utility that make it reasonable for traders and speculators to bid prices that may reflect a future value and utility that is greater than today.

Perhaps no different than people paying retarded multiples for Amazon in 1999 during the dotcom bubble on the theory that the internet would eventually become as big as it actually did as of today.

Of course, when you are in the moment, few people can pull their head out of their ass to see that possibility until it happens.  People made the same arguments against crypto here when BTC was trading for under $100 and you can find those threads right now in the archives easily.

Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:27:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:40:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Will suck when the cost of crypto is so low that it will cost more in electricity just to check and cash out your wallet than it's worth.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:45:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Word salad.
View Quote

Words have meaning.  Crypto has been exposed for what it has always been, fool’s gold.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:52:07 AM EDT
[#41]
…..
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:53:46 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:55:12 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Hows your faang stocks doing. Any of them lose like 30% of their value in a couple minutes lately? Backed by “real assets” lol.
View Quote

Yup they sure have lost some value, but shares represent an equitable interest in assets.  Many of those assets are priced at a discount to future earnings.  That is awesome, I like bargains.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:55:23 AM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:58:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Whyd you edit your post
View Quote

My comment wasn’t accurate.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:58:05 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:04:28 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

It represents a crack head having their crack taken away.
View Quote

That doesn’t make any sense.  You would rather buy ubiquitous cryptographic tokens and shun owning a portion of companies that produce real goods and services?
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:05:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:07:24 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I don’t think you understood a word i said,
View Quote

You are correct, I did not.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 1:14:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 9
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top