Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » SCUBA
Posted: 6/19/2024 3:43:01 PM EDT
Anyone have experience diving in Curacao?  

The wife and I are going to Bonaire again this year, but I'm starting to look for other places as we're both interested in traveling more and doing two dive trips a year.  I figure we'll continue to go to Bonaire once a year (this is only our 2nd trip, but we loved it the first time and have learned a few things to make this upcoming trip even better), and then hit up somewhere else as well.  

Curacao has my interest piqued for sure.  I like the idea of still being able to shore dive, as well as boat dive with short rides out.  I also like the fact that it seems smaller and less built up than Bonaire.  Everyone says the beaches are really sandy and entry/exits are 100% smoother and easier than the coral shale of Bonaire.

I'm looking at Lion's Dive resort, and trying to find some other options NW (Westpunt) on the island as that area seems to be the most recommended for "better" dive sites.

I lurk scuba board but prefer to get input here.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 4:05:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Like Bonaire, most of the diving is shore diving. Bonaire is the better of the two for diving, but Curaçao has more to do when not diving. It has a few real resorts. The main “city” area has some good restaurants and a few shops.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 4:24:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By SideCarGT:
Like Bonaire, most of the diving is shore diving. Bonaire is the better of the two for diving, but Curaçao has more to do when not diving. It has a few real resorts. The main “city” area has some good restaurants and a few shops.
View Quote

Interesting....when were you at each place last?  Did you dive all over Curaçao?  If so, would you say the Westpunt area is better?

I'm in the very early stages so you have really piqued my interest with the comment about more to do on Curacao when not diving.  We try to do an extended family trip each year as well and the pictures of the beaches of Curacao look more like what my non-diving family would appreciate, esepcially compared to Bonaire.
Link Posted: 6/19/2024 5:09:39 PM EDT
[#3]
A friend just got back from 5 days in Bonaire followed by 3 days in Curacao.  She much preferred Bonaire.  She said something about those multi colored houses you always see in pictures being fake or facades or something?

Link Posted: 6/19/2024 5:11:19 PM EDT
[#4]
2019 was last trip to Curaçao. Dove a number of places around the island, including the far end off Westpunt, which is a long way from anywhere, but lots of divers stay at that end of the island. We stay at the Marriott right next to Dreams because my wife likes a non-diving resort.

BTW, one of our favorite outdoor restaurants was De Visserig Piscadera. Casual place with fresh seafood ordered by the gram. There were also a couple of good ones on the coast in Willemstad.
Page General » SCUBA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top