Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/16/2020 3:20:41 PM EDT
I found a 1941 MA Lithgow made into a very nicely done sporter today. It was set-up with a Lyman 48 rear sight. I gave $200.00 for it but the Lyman is worth half that.

It's all matching and it looks professionally done. Nice shiny/strong bore. It looks like a E. C. Bishop walnut stock set was used along with a Pachmayr recoil pad. Deep black bluing, even the mag. It still has it's .mil two stage trigger but it's been worked on and breaks nicely at around 3.75#.

Other than cleaning/inspection all I really need is another aperture as it's a bit too fine for a hunting rifle. I have a bunch so I'll dig one out and install it before I shoot it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

I've seen that kind of work put into plenty of Mauser actions before but seldom see Enfields done up as well.

You really have to sort of appreciate the work that went into making a 12# battle rifle into a well done 7.5-pound, 22" barreled, 10-shot sporter in a viable caliber. Lord knows what such a conversion would cost to have done today.

This is what it would have looked like in AU .mil trim.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:25:40 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll get a lot of hate over it, but I think it's nice.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:27:29 PM EDT
[#2]
I'll be that guy.

Polishing a turd.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:27:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Neat.  I would have given $200 for that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:28:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Cool find, op.

Sharp looking rifle.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Nice.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:29:47 PM EDT
[#6]
I need to get around to trimming some of my 303 brass to load up
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:29:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

It is what it is and likely done before I was born or not too long thereafter.

If folks can't appreciate the craftsmanship that went into the conversion then fuck em as it's certainly not your usual hack job.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:30:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I'll be that guy.

Polishing a turd.
View Quote

the 303 round has killed just about every game animal, including dangerous, on this planet
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:32:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I am not sure what is worse...

Sporterized milsurps, or cloning rifles you were never issued or carried.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:32:54 PM EDT
[#10]
I much prefer it like you found it than to be left to rust away. Nice find and I’m glad it is getting a new home!
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:34:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Me too.  
I love sporterized mil bolts with peeps.
I had a 03 that was almost there. But someone d&t'd the holes cockeyed. So it was then d&t'd for scope bases.  On top of that it was a early 03 that was in the danger zone of serial numbers.  So I sold it.

Also had a 98 in 7.62.  No peep but was a dang handy rifle.

Collectors give em alot of hate but IDGAF. To me it's utility at it's finest.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:47:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn that looks great. Wish I could find a stock set like that.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's has to be the most ignorant statement I've heard for a spell and that does not speak very well of you considering this is GD.

Were it not for clones a lot of folks would never enjoy shooting the black powder rifles/handguns from our past history not to mention M1As, and to a lesser extent even M1911s.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:57:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Nice rifle. I'd love to have that buttstock on my .45-70 conversion.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:57:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Nice rifle.

Rule .303!
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 3:59:55 PM EDT
[#17]
That ain't no way for an old soldier to die.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:03:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Nice.  

I have zero qualms about these kinds of conversions, because they were done at a time when literally train cars full of these rifles were being turned into scrap.

My main deer rifle is a  converted 1917 in 30-06 that is a laser.  I have lighter rifles, but the 06 was my grandad's and then my dad's.  It also inspired me to get an unconverted 1917, which I did (a lend-lease rifle).  

Thanks for sharing OP, I love to see your finds.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:08:28 PM EDT
[#19]
That is a nicely done one. I've been looking for good one for a while but most are hacked-up cold blue specials.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

That's has to be the most ignorant statement I've heard for a spell and that does not speak very well of you considering this is GD.

Were it not for clones a lot of folks would never enjoy shooting the black powder rifles/handguns from our past history not to mention M1As, and to a lesser extent even M1911s.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:12:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View Quote

I can't say but I suspect most would rather be put to use in a hunting capacity than to have this inglorious ending at the hands of the AU gun grabbers.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:14:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:17:14 PM EDT
[#23]

LOL....I just noticed you changed your avatar but hey, just because you changed your avatar does not make you any less ignorant you know.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:18:19 PM EDT
[#24]
I would have paid $200 for that. It was already converted you just gave it a good home. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:19:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Some sporterizations are done better than others, in this case it looks well done, but in the end all sporterizations are abominations.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:22:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

LOL....I just noticed you changed your avatar but hey, just because you changed your avatar does not make you any less ignorant you know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Lol, been changed for a while.

Good luck haggling for those K-Mart shotguns you hunt for at yard sales, polish up, then always put on those 4"x4"s in your backyard to take pictures of.  

I'm sure you have quite a wide variety of old, insignificant guns that one day will be sold at an estate sale for even less than you paid for them.  

ETA- I apologize.  Those might be 6"x6"s.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:31:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:34:10 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Some sporterizations are done better than others, in this case it looks well done, but in the end all sporterizations are abominations.
View Quote

There is certainty some truth in that to a collector like myself but at the same time if you know your way around mil-surp history you understand that even the sporters are solid rifles and were sold by the millions by Sears, Monkey-Wards, Western Auto, not to mention every A&N and hardware store in the land to hunters all over America. Local gun smiths were kept in business putting better sights or scope mounts on them.

As a kid I hunted with many folks that were using cut-down mil-surps of various flavors as deer rifles who could not afford a factory made deer rifle. Of course as they got better heeled the cut-up mil-surps disappeared into gun cabinets/closets but it did not make them any less viable as a rifle to put a deer or three in the freezer every year. back then they were simply tools, not collector items.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:40:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:41:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You really have to sort of appreciate the work that went into making a 12# battle rifle into a well done 7.5-pound, 22" barreled, 10-shot sporter in a viable caliber. Lord knows what such a conversion would cost to have done today.

This is what it would have looked like in AU .mil trim.

https://image.invaluable.com/housePhotos/CenturionAuctions/81/611081/H5403-L124370494.jpg
View Quote

12 pound?

My Lithgow No 1 Mk III* just weighed in at 9.25 lbs.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:42:55 PM EDT
[#31]
I would have bought that, and I hate sporters.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:43:39 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
get both

another great find OP
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:50:35 PM EDT
[#33]
For some reason lots of Lithgows are sporterized, many badly. These often show up in movies (including Crocodile Dundee).

My No 1 Mk III* Lithgow was obtained around '80 from a pawn shop for $65. Awful sporter job, but the metal was unmolested. In 2014 I was able to restore it (using Indian DP wood) almost perfectly. The one remaining piece of original wood is the rear upper handguard that snaps off.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:53:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#35]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

get both

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/132928/m16cloneand_bubba1917_JPG-1322953.jpg

another great find OP

Man, on the one hand I love the M1917/P14 and it hurts a little to see one that's been messed-with...On the other hand, if it was done Back When, and included milling off the rear sight base, there's not much "saving" it can have anymore except to be rebuilt as a rifle befitting the quality of that cock-on-close, controlled-feed, large ring Mauser long action.

So, I like it and I'd like to have one kinda like it...but I'll look for one that's already sporterized to do it with.

ETA: or, as pointed out above, a Remington Model 30, since those were originally made as sporting rifles from M1917 receivers and bolts.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 4:56:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Guy should have done it up this way.

Lee Speed Sporter.

Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:03:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:05:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
LOL, half the guys in this thread would pass on a Remington Model 30 because they thought is was a chopped up 1917 Enfield.

https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qGGArLv8CLc/VU9taDzv75I/AAAAAAAACgI/k6s8wn3iNDo/s1600/_DSC0019.JPG
View Quote

Amen to that.

I hate to admit it, but I had a Model 720, and didn't know it was really anything special until it was long gone. Happened look it up one day, and immediately thought "yep, that was stupid!"
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:08:21 PM EDT
[#39]
I normally dislike seeing sporterized Enfields, but that one was done nicely, and WWII Lithgow Mk. III* rifles aren't really rare.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:10:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:15:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice find for $200.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:18:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

Man, on the one hand I love the M1917/P14 and it hurts a little to see one that's been messed-with...On the other hand, if it was done Back When, and included milling off the rear sight base, there's not much "saving" it can have anymore except to be rebuilt as a rifle befitting the quality of that cock-on-close, controlled-feed, large ring Mauser long action.

So, I like it and I'd like to have one kinda like it...but I'll look for one that's already sporterized to do it with.

ETA: or, as pointed out above, a Remington Model 30, since those were originally made as sporting rifles from M1917 receivers and bolts.
View Quote
yup, no going back now, rear sight milled off and barrel shortened probably decades before I was born

to me it's an interesting artifact of the time
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:23:46 PM EDT
[#43]
I will hate you just because you find too many cool toys! I like a well done shorter, and this one looks really well done. Hope you get to shoot the heck out of it!
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I'd have bought it, but for $150 or $175. I'd like a nice sporter in .303 British.
View Quote

I figure there were at least $300.00+ worth of parts on it so I would have not lost any money even if it turned out to be a dog.

I suspect that you would have parted with a couple Benjamins too when you saw how nicely it was done, never mind the value of the sum of it's parts.  That and a handy 10-shot well sighted center-fire rifle without a squared edge box magazine poking at you when slung makes a lot of sense.

LOL....I just noticed that the fixed sling swivels are OEM Winchester Model 70 Sling Swivels.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:59:50 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Nice.  
time when literally train cars full of these rifles were being turned into scrap.

View Quote

Or simply dumped in the ocean literally by the boatloads.....
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Is there a reason why the Lyman sight is mounted on the right side of the action instead of the left?  Is there something on the left side of that rifle that would not allow left side mounting as on most rifles?  It looks like you could smash your fingers into the sight if you were cycling that bolt fast and not paying attention.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:12:07 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:17:38 PM EDT
[#48]
I love it. Got a range report?
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:36:07 PM EDT
[#49]
I've got a K98 sporterized I bought years ago. Fun to shoot. Kicks like a mule.
Link Posted: 4/16/2020 6:55:56 PM EDT
[#50]
I'd rock a custom rifle from a Lee Enfield action... but I'm weird.

I love shooting bolt actions, and while there are a lot of good actions, there is just something about how the Lee Enfield feels while working it.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top