Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 7:27:28 PM EDT
[#1]
The entire opioid crisis thing is total bullshit. I've explained my situation here several times and don't feel like repeating myself, but the short version is both my knees are fucked and surgery is extremely risky due to a clotting problem. It almost killed me once and I don't want a repeat. The end result is I'd rather take pain pills than risk dying as the result of knee surgery.

My doc recently said the state is cutting the max daily dose of oxycodone to 20 mg. Twenty fucking milligrams a day.

I am seriously considering saying fuck it and going on permanent disability. My doc says I qualify.

If the state won't give me what I need for pain so I can work, they can support me 100%. Fuck it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 7:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I’ve had 36 surgeries and allergic to all narcotic painkillers. Let’s talk about what a reasonable threshold of pain is.
View Quote
And women have had c sections while awake and able to feel everything. Just because you can, doesn't mean your should. Does your allergy mean that all should suffer?
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 7:29:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The entire opioid crisis thing is total bullshit. I've explained my situation here several times and don't feel like repeating myself, but the short version is both my knees are fucked and surgery is extremely risky due to a clotting problem. It almost killed me once and I don't want a repeat. The end result is I'd rather take pain pills than risk dying as the result of knee surgery.

My doc recently said the state is cutting the max daily dose of oxycodone to 20 mg. Twenty fucking milligrams a day.

I am seriously considering saying fuck it and going on permanent disability. My doc says I qualify.

If the state won't give me what I need for pain so I can work, they can support me 100%. Fuck it.
View Quote
The State knows best.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 8:16:54 PM EDT
[#4]
State had an expert in rehab talk about addiction. Went into great depth about brain changes and how hard it was to bwat opioids. Defense attny asked him had he ever seen an addict in his program that came from a chronic pain management program.

No.

Had he seen any addicts that had been using JJ's fentanyl patches?

No.

The AG's deal is that JJ is in the poppy growing biz and "neck deep" in the crisis.

JJ says it isn't/wasn't their product causing the problem. AG says it isn't  just about the patch.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 8:24:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
State had an expert in rehab talk about addiction. Went into great depth about brain changes and how hard it was to bwat opioids. Defense attny asked him had he ever seen an addict in his program that came from a chronic pain management program.

No.

No.

The AG's deal is that JJ is in the poppy growing biz and "neck deep" in the crisis.

JJ says it isn't/wasn't their product causing the problem. AG says it isn't  just about the patch.
View Quote
if it isn't about the patch, what standing do they have to bring the lawsuit?
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 8:36:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm surprised J&J didn't settle.
View Quote
I am as well. Two others did.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 8:44:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No.

No.

You just came up with JJ's argument to have the case dismissed at the close of plaintiff's evidence, without even going into a defense side of the story.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 8:45:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm surprised J&J didn't settle.
perhaps their defense attorneys have balls.

People would be shocked how many so-called "litigators" are actually scared to take a case to trial.  Litigators do discovery and motions; real courtroom lawyers who argue their before judges/juries are a subset of "litigators."
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 8:46:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Does anyone know of an addict that would just simply not be one if their drug of choice was unavailable? I don't.
View Quote
If my cervical fusion experience was ay example I could EASILY be an opiod junkie.  They gave me a 10-day supply of Oxy, and then another week of percoset.  I got AWFULLY used to those pills.

But when they were gone, aside from a few days of longing for another pill, I didn't go hunting for a corner heroin dealer.

My point is that if opiods were OTC I'd likely be living in a box under a bridge.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
State says that JJ can’t say they weren’t involved because their only involvement is a patch.  State says that JJ grew and marketed bulk opiates to other manufacturers including those who already settled.

JJ says their opium business is operated to the letter of the law and that the .gov monitors their business down to the last gram.

In the final analysis, OK and its hired guns out of Austin are after money and not facts.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:05:22 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
State says that JJ can't say they weren't involved because their only involvement is a patch.  State says that JJ grew and marketed bulk opiates to other manufacturers including those who already settled.

JJ says their opium business is operated to the letter of the law and that the .gov monitors their business down to the last gram.

In the final analysis, OK and its hired guns out of Austin are after money and not facts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
State says that JJ can't say they weren't involved because their only involvement is a patch.  State says that JJ grew and marketed bulk opiates to other manufacturers including those who already settled.

Unless they are going to try and prove a conspiracy-type scenario, I'm not sure what they expect to come of this. If they didn't break the law, they didn't break the law.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
While Pill Mill docs played a role, the government is the one that created the “nuisance”.

Ironically, Kermit Gosnell didn’t get into trouble for killing newborn babies but rather because he ran a pill mill.  The DEA found a bunch of full-term babies in his freezers and try as they may, they couldn’t ignore it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Docs were telling docs.

That is the bottom line.

Some docs discovered pill mills make money under the guise of the 5th vital....

Docs-the bad onesare the problem.  Plenty of good docs did the right thing.
Nonsense.  It was the government and plaintiff's lawyers that pushed that "5th vital sign crap."
You think the gubbmint didn't have doctors backing it?

And those were plumbers selling all the Vicodin out of pain clinics?

BAD DOCTORS PLAYED A ROLE.
While Pill Mill docs played a role, the government is the one that created the “nuisance”.

Ironically, Kermit Gosnell didn’t get into trouble for killing newborn babies but rather because he ran a pill mill.  The DEA found a bunch of full-term babies in his freezers and try as they may, they couldn’t ignore it.
Fucking hell
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:13:21 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Docs were told that "pain is the 5th vital sign," and that it was essentially patient abuse to withhold narcotics. I've practiced through both ends of the pendulum swing. It's not fun.
View Quote
Government creates a problem (5th vital sign -> more opiod rx -> more addiction) then finds someone else to blame it on.

Then extorts money through a lawsuit and uses said money to buy votes.

See tobacco lawsuit.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:22:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Screw this over hyped opioid epidemic bullshit. Trying to get the doc that diagnosed me with pneumonia to write me script for cough syrup last week was ridiculous. The script she wrote me was so minimal that the pharmacist actually increased it so I could take it twice a day instead of once. I didn't even know they could do that.

I've lost friends to addiction and it sucks. But none of them got hooked from a Vicodin script following surgery or similar crap.
View Quote
this is true. used to get a small script filled once a month for vicodin i took for headaches. not enough to get addicted and i never asked for more than i got or got it filled early.. but once the government put the fear of god into docs, it became impossible to get. ok..

but.. here's how the process went.. doc puts person on vicodin for something. person takes it every day for a month (30 day supply). well vicodin is pretty mild and if you take it continually its efficacy quickly decreases. so.. doc then put person on oxycontin x mg size. and then increased the dosage as the older dosage became less effective.

prior to oxycontin, there wasnt much that docs would write beyond tylenol with codein, vicodin etc. perhaps percodan but that was about it. for cancer patients it was a different deal, morphine and dilaudid but you didnt see scripts for that a lot.

issue is it went from being all the way crazy with opiod scripts (oxycontin and similar types of drugs that were relatively new on the scene) to all the way, you cant get anything even if you are dying.

but.. i think the makers of oxycontin knew what they were doing, making mega dose opiod pills and advocating the docs prescribe it.

i grew up in the 60s and 70s. folks that take drugs for recreational purposes very quickly figure out how to get the most out of a drug. and crushing an oxycontin pill and snorting it was an obvious thing that was gonna happen and you cant tell me the manufacturers didnt know this.

and there are folks who take something because a doc prescribes it and dont realize that at some point they will become addicted. you can blame these folks. they should have known better but the truth is a lot of folks didnt question what they were getting because a doctor was prescribing it. i seen this happen more than once.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:25:16 PM EDT
[#15]
OK’s opening statement consisted of:

Opioids bad. JJ sells opioids.  JJ bad.  JJ’s sales people went out and sold fentanyl patches.  Fentanyl patches are opioids.  JJ kills people for money.  As JJ sales went up, deaths went up.  It was aimed at an audience with the thought processes of a sack of nut coal.

JJ’s opening statement consisted of:

We followed the law to the letter.  Everything we said or printed was pre-approved.  Our fentanyl patches are much less addictive than other forms even according to the fedgov and research everywhere.  JJ never sold injectables.  JJ didn’t sell pills, only patches.

It’s about the money.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Every time I hear that company’s name I can’t help but think they should be making dildos or something.
View Quote
Doc Johnson is the 1st Johnson.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If there is a problem it is the doctors.

10 years ago or a little more they totally changed the way we did things on the ambulance. Nobody is uncomfortable. Anybody in pain gets strong pain medicine immediately.

EVERYONE OF US SAID this won't turn out like you think it will.  We were just stupid paramedics.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm rooting for big pharma.
If there is a problem it is the doctors.

10 years ago or a little more they totally changed the way we did things on the ambulance. Nobody is uncomfortable. Anybody in pain gets strong pain medicine immediately.

EVERYONE OF US SAID this won't turn out like you think it will.  We were just stupid paramedics.
Yep, I agree. Everyone gets Vicoden, Oxy or Percoset.

Now I have to jump through hoops to prescribe tramadol and gabapentin because of this crap.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:26:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Screw this over hyped opioid epidemic bullshit. Trying to get the doc that diagnosed me with pneumonia to write me script for cough syrup last week was ridiculous. The script she wrote me was so minimal that the pharmacist actually increased it so I could take it twice a day instead of once. I didn't even know they could do that.

I've lost friends to addiction and it sucks. But none of them got hooked from a Vicodin script following surgery or similar crap.
View Quote
Been there too.
Whatever they’re passing off as cough syrup did nothing but keep me up at night. After showing my DL to get the worthless crap of course.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If my cervical fusion experience was ay example I could EASILY be an opiod junkie.  They gave me a 10-day supply of Oxy, and then another week of percoset.  I got AWFULLY used to those pills.

But when they were gone, aside from a few days of longing for another pill, I didn't go hunting for a corner heroin dealer.

My point is that if opiods were OTC I'd likely be living in a box under a bridge.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Does anyone know of an addict that would just simply not be one if their drug of choice was unavailable? I don't.

Plenty of people were given narcotics in high doses that probable could have had more benefit from therapy and ibuprofen. They got the hook set at the ER and then it spiraled from there. Methadone clinics closing , tightened restricting by the dea on pain management clinics, available drugs like fentanyl , oxy , percocet, dilaudid and others all add to the problem. When i became a Paramedic in 2006 it was very uncommon to use Narcan and even more so to see heroin induced respiratory arrest. Now its common place . Legal and illicit drug use is tied together and I dare say rx drugs are a much larger issue than recreational.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Lighten up.  I know you are a doc.  I am not claiming to supercede your greatness or authority.  As a matter of fact I have nothing against you.  But irresponsible people are the problem.  The legal pills can be controlled.  China and Mexico are a wild card.

Thanks for the dialogue.
View Quote
Well, I apologize for the snark. I just a wee bit tired of the “evil doctors” rhetoric.  It’s not true—docs are caught up in this bullshit just like everyone else.

The bottom line in all this nonsense is that it is the addicts fault that they are an addict.  It’s not Philip Morris’ fault. It’s not Seagrams’ fault. It’s not Pfizer’s fault. It’s the fault of the person who chooses to smoke, or drink, or abuse pain medication.

If you drink yourself to death it’s your fault.
If you smoke yourself into COPD or cancer, it’s your fault.
If you lie about your pain to get Vicodin that you the crush and snort, it’s your fault.

Enabling addicts by telling them it’s the fault of pharma or docs does them no good.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Now I have to jump through hoops to prescribe tramadol and gabapentin because of this crap.
View Quote
Good point about the gabapentin. The drug warriors are now going after the non-opiate pain medicine alternatives, restricting those because someone somewhere might get a buzz off them. They won’t stop with opiates. It’s almost like they want people to be in pain and suffer.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:00:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Well, I apologize for the snark. I just a wee bit tired of the "evil doctors" rhetoric.  It's not truedocs are caught up in this bullshit just like everyone else.

The bottom line in all this nonsense is that it is the addicts fault that they are an addict.  It's not Philip Morris' fault. It's not Seagrams' fault. It's not Pfizer's fault. It's the fault of the person who chooses to smoke, or drink, or abuse pain medication.

If you drink yourself to death it's your fault.
If you smoke yourself into COPD or cancer, it's your fault.
If you lie about your pain to get Vicodin that you the crush and snort, it's your fault.

Enabling addicts by telling them it's the fault of pharma or docs does them no good.
View Quote
We agree with far more than we disagree.  I do not think there is a conspiracy with all doctors.  I do think there are a few bad ones overshadowing all the good docs(like yourself most likely).

I agree we are all responsible for our own actions.  I have probably done my typical crappy communicating.

I agree with your post.

I don't think there is an opioid crisis.  I think there is a lack of personal responsibility of society crisis.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:02:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Well, I apologize for the snark. I just a wee bit tired of the "evil doctors" rhetoric.  It's not truedocs are caught up in this bullshit just like everyone else.

The bottom line in all this nonsense is that it is the addicts fault that they are an addict.  It's not Philip Morris' fault. It's not Seagrams' fault. It's not Pfizer's fault. It's the fault of the person who chooses to smoke, or drink, or abuse pain medication.

If you drink yourself to death it's your fault.
If you smoke yourself into COPD or cancer, it's your fault.
If you lie about your pain to get Vicodin that you the crush and snort, it's your fault.

Enabling addicts by telling them it's the fault of pharma or docs does them no good.
View Quote
I somewhat agree with your point that an addict is at fault for MOST abuse. But could you also admit that some people are introduced to narcotics who dont fully understand how hard it can be to get off them?I can tell you a lot of seniors are given narcotics and poorly educated on them who then become dependent
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:02:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
We agree with far more than we disagree.  I do not think there is a conspiracy with all doctors.  I do think there are a few bad ones overshadowing all the good docs(like yourself most likely).

I agree we are all responsible for our own actions.  I have probably done my typical crappy communicating.

I agree with your post.

I don't think there is an opioid crisis.  I think there is a lack of personal responsibility of society crisis.
View Quote
That sir, is well said.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:03:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Good point about the gabapentin. The drug warriors are now going after the non-opiate pain medicine alternatives, restricting those because someone somewhere might get a buzz off them. They won’t stop with opiates. It’s almost like they want people to be in pain and suffer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds like communism
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:07:37 PM EDT
[#26]
If doctors were so stupid as to not view heroine, oh i mean legalized opioids, as being highly addictive they  shouldn't be doctors.  Same blame rests on the patients too.  How about, you know, doing some god damn research before putting foreign substances in your body.  But I guess I'm just some stupid hick from flyover country.  Lord knows I'm just an ignorant hayseed.

Im not even on the side of making opioids harder to get a hold of as I know some people legitimately need them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I somewhat agree with your point that an addict is at fault for MOST abuse. But could you also admit that some people are introduced to narcotics who dont fully understand how hard it can be to get off them?I can tell you a lot of seniors are given narcotics and poorly educated on them who then become dependent
View Quote
I tend to lump that train of thought in with the whole “I didn’t know cigarette smoking was bad for you” nonsense. The general populace has known about the addictive potential of opiates since the “opium crisis” of the 1800s and laudanum addiction of the same time period. People know.
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 10:32:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Number of people who got addicted because big meanie medical/pharma complex twisted their arm and jammed the pills down their throat?
Link Posted: 5/28/2019 11:09:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I tend to lump that train of thought in with the whole "I didn't know cigarette smoking was bad for you" nonsense. The general populace has known about the addictive potential of opiates since the "opium crisis" of the 1800s and laudanum addiction of the same time period. People know.
View Quote
Respectfully disagree. A lot of people trust doctors completely and just know the med is for pain. Maybe its a regional thing but I would say a serious portion have no idea what the medications are.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 12:30:49 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Neo-Puritanism brought about by the War On Drugs
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:36:34 AM EDT
[#31]
More pain = earlier death = lower .gov health care costs.

Largest percentage of suicides is middle age and older white men.  That is the group with the longest and most physically taxing work history. They need to die. They are surplus.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:41:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Respectfully disagree. A lot of people trust doctors completely and just know the med is for pain. Maybe its a regional thing but I would say a serious portion have no idea what the medications are.
View Quote
Blind trust is understandable in 1915, but we have search engines now. They can google what's going in their body.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
JJ is arguing that they did nothing counter to fed or state laws or guidelines. They argue that opioids are essential for chronic pain treatment and are worth the risk knowing there will be some bad results. But the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

This case is identical to suits against gun makers. IMHO if JJ loses there will be a wholesale assault on the firearms industry as we have not seen before.
View Quote
Yikes.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:52:09 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Largest percentage of suicides is middle age and older white men.  That is the group with the longest and most physically taxing work history. They need to die. They are surplus.
View Quote
was that the OK AG's closing argument, or J&J's?
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Yikes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
JJ is arguing that they did nothing counter to fed or state laws or guidelines. They argue that opioids are essential for chronic pain treatment and are worth the risk knowing there will be some bad results. But the benefits far outweigh the negatives.

This case is identical to suits against gun makers. IMHO if JJ loses there will be a wholesale assault on the firearms industry as we have not seen before.
Yikes.
well, I would agree with him, except for the Protection of Lawful Commerce in Arms Act which stops it.

Of course, PLCAA will be GONE if the Dems get teh White House and both houses of Congress.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:55:17 AM EDT
[#36]
I'm rooting for J&J.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:56:40 AM EDT
[#37]
Watched local, national, and international coverage last night. How they reported the day's action vs what actually happened was widely disparate. The media is very anti pharma. They ignored evidence that JJ did not sell the forms of opioids blamed for the crisis.

Mrs Rabinowitz and I appeared in pics on websites for both the BBC and NYT.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:57:47 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I don't inherently disagree with the sentiment, but practice beyond their scope much?
View Quote
My doc has always been skeptical of a lot of the shit salesmen from big pharma push.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:00:15 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I tend to lump that train of thought in with the whole “I didn’t know cigarette smoking was bad for you” nonsense. The general populace has known about the addictive potential of opiates since the “opium crisis” of the 1800s and laudanum addiction of the same time period. People know.
View Quote
They don't didn't call them opium or opioids. Before the "epidemic" made the news, your average person didn't know what they were or how addictive they were. It may be the case now, but ten or more years ago unless the doctor specifically said they were opiates, or the person read an insert, they had no clue, and the doctors never told me they were addictive or even opiates. As for the interest, they're so CYA with the side effects as to be useless.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:03:42 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Tessalon perles, containing benzonatate. Ask for a prescription of them next time, it's a non narcotic medicine that works just as well as codiene. Do not chew them unless you want to look like you went boxing with Tyson.

Kharn
View Quote
Tessalon perles - a gift from God.  I have several left from a coughing spell last winter.   I'm rooting for big pharma! BP never shoved a pill down someone's throat.  BP never said take every pill even if you don't feel pain.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:10:28 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

They don't didn't call them opium or opioids. Before the "epidemic" made the news, your average person didn't know what they were or how addictive they were. It may be the case now, but ten or more years ago unless the doctor specifically said they were opiates, or the person read an insert, they had no clue, and the doctors never told me they were addictive or even opiates. As for the interest, they're so CYA with the side effects as to be useless.
View Quote
Opioids have been known as addictive for millennia.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:10:49 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Nonsense.  It was the government and plaintiff's lawyers that pushed that "5th vital sign crap."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Docs were telling docs.

That is the bottom line.

Some docs discovered pill mills make money under the guise of the 5th vital....

Docs-the bad onesare the problem.  Plenty of good docs did the right thing.
Reimbursement declines with poor reviews. Happy patients are drugged patients said the businessmen who run the hospitals. Therefore: everyone gets their pain treated. Now, we're stuck "addressing" the pain.

FWIW, I only use 1-10 when I administer. No patient of mine ever gets a numeric pain score. I subjectively document their pain, but never numerically unless I'm trying to guage the effectiveness of the response.

Like someone here once said (and I'm paraphrasing), "I'll document a number for pain when they give me a tool to plug into an orifice that can give me a number."
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:13:04 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
I have to respectfully disagree.  There were called those things but, perhaps, "narcotics" was a more widespread term back in the 70's and 60's.  Everyone knew even back then that there were addiction problems.  Everyone had "that aunt" who had her "pain pills" and everyone rolled their eyes and knew what was up, even back then.

You have to remember that the old people of today were collage kids in the 60's and everyone knew about drugs, prescription or otherwise, and references to pain pills, uppers, and downers filled popular music.

The big difference is that if someone O.D.'ed the social response was "dumbass," and users were by and large embarrassed and stigmatized, not enabled like they are today. Even though there was abuse, a lot of it was kept in check by social pressure.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:15:18 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
First witness for the State is essentially selling the sizzle. IOW, a PhD talking about how they will spend the winnings on wonderful treatment centers.

Betting on the come for public consumption.
View Quote
Who is it? I know many of the people involved in the first grant.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:17:03 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

I'm not coming for your pain pills friend, so please take my post seriously.
View Quote
Were you writing about real estate?
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:23:58 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Opioids have been known as addictive for millennia.
View Quote
No shit, that's the problem. They didn't say that's what they were.
If the doctors said to everyone "I'm going to write you a prescription for X, it's pretty much like a really good heroin pill for your pain" it would be a different story.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:24:29 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

State says JJ knowingly contributed to the creation of a public nuisance via deceptive trade practices. Asking for billions to fund remediation programs. Not asking for punative damages for past events..
View Quote
So Oklahoma is looking for a fresh infusion of funds into the TSET program.  Hmmmm.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:29:42 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I have to disagree.  There were called those things but, perhaps, "narcotics" was a more widespread term back in the 70's and 60's.  Everyone knew even back then that there were addiction problems.  Everyone had "that aunt" who had her "pain pills" and everyone rolled their eyes and knew what was up, even back then.

You have to remember that the old people of today were collage kids in the 60's and everyone knew about drugs, prescription or otherwise and references to pain pills, uppers, and downers filled popular music.
View Quote
Marijuana is a schedule 1 narcotic. So is LSD. They're not addictive. Lots of pain pills aren't addictive either. When a doc prescribes something and doesn't warn you of the very real possibility of withdrawal there is an issue. The words addictive, opioid, opiate, narcotic, etc never crossed the doctor's lips in any of the cases where I was prescribed one.
Link Posted: 5/29/2019 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Marijuana is a schedule 1 narcotic. So is LSD. They're not addictive. Lots of pain pills aren't addictive either. When a doc prescribes something and doesn't warn you of the very real possibility of withdrawal there is an issue. The words addictive, opioid, opiate, narcotic, etc never crossed the doctor's lips in any of the cases where I was prescribed one.
View Quote
Yet you knew what they were and their potential already.  Imagine that.

It's like saying that you have to be told that alcohol will get you drunk every-time the bartender hooks you up.   We kind of already know.

It's laughable to think that anyone living in the US after the 1990's did not know what Vicodin was and how addictive it could be.  People were snorting that stuff in the 1960's for crying out loud.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top