Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 5/12/2024 9:05:48 PM EDT
I saved over $5000 this weekend on 2 different necessary projects. I know the DIY ethic is alive and well in the Arfcom demographics, but it almost shook me up a bit when I thought about all the people out there just getting by who can’t, don’t, or won’t.

Project 1: Replace truck bumper. I had a thread about this one with all the details, but quick and dirty version is that I had a damaged bumper interfering with the functionality of the tailgate on a beat up GMC “farm truck.” Shop quoted me $3200. I watch some YouTube videos, bought a cheap replacement off Amazon, replaced it in about 5 hours. $250 and Inhave a working tailgate again. $2950 saved.

Project 2: BMW M4 needed brakes and rotors. Normal maintenance, it was time. (Also have some track stuff coming up in a few weeks, otherwise I could have deferred it til later this summer). Price at dealer is $3800. I ordered OEM rotors and PFC-08 pads online. Watched a couple YouTube videos, and about 3-4 hours later, another $2200 saved.

Holy crap! That’s $5050 after tax, what’s that for a footprint in your gross salary? Did I saved $5050, or did I give myself a defacto $10,000 raise? Kinda crazy to think about the impact that a few projects a year could have on an average American’s standard of living.
I guess the moral of the story is look for the opportunities and don’t be afraid to do stuff.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I legitimately wouldn’t be able to afford a “middle class” lifestyle without improving and maintaining my stuff for myself.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:10:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By adamtheduke:
I legitimately wouldn’t be able to afford a “middle class” lifestyle without improving and maintaining my stuff for myself.
View Quote

Fpni

I am not an arf millionaire.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:10:25 PM EDT
[#3]
This thread's message is legit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:14:06 PM EDT
[#4]
View Quote

This for certain. I am almost glad I grew up poor because it made me much more self-sufficient than I would have been otherwise.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:14:45 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a typical 2500 sq ft ranch. Decided to do the siding replacement myself, got a quote for $17k from a contractor. Materials were $8k and I should have paid the labor lol

I’m about 75% done and don’t want to look at another snips or hammer for a couple years after I wrap this up.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:15:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Used to be a DIY type when I was younger, single, and had more time (not working my career job) but I can afford to pay for it now, so I do.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:15:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Best advice you can give a young man, learn how to use tools and do home/auto maintenance and repairs.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:17:28 PM EDT
[#8]
I put a generator inlet on my house. Did it right with an interlock. Can't imagine getting an electrician to do it for lett than $3,000. Cost me $500.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:17:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Foxtrot08] [#9]
Originally Posted By marlinfan:
I have a typical 2500 sq ft ranch. Decided to do the siding replacement myself, got a quote for $17k from a contractor. Materials were $8k and I should have paid the labor lol

I’m about 75% done and don’t want to look at another snips or hammer for a couple years after I wrap this up.
View Quote

There’s limits to things.  

Stuff on ladders and requiring one off tools such as an aluminum brake for flashing… I’ll let someone do that game. Plus a good crew of 2-3 people can knock it out in a few days vs weeks by yourself.

3 guys replaced my windows, took the old siding off, put the new siding on, roofed my barn and sides my barn in 5 working days over 2 weeks. They had to stop due to weather.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:19:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UTex86] [#10]
Originally Posted By thesilvercord:
Used to be a DIY type when I was younger, single, and had more time (not working my career job) but I can afford to pay for it now, so I do.
View Quote

I’ve been moving more in this direction but there’s still stuff I like to do myself.

This year I had a new AC system put in, converted heat from electric to gas which required an loooot of trenching and attic plumbing, and had a new roof put on the house. I paid for that. The jobs were too big to do myself with my limited time.

But I’m about to replace 150’ of privacy fence myself. $2500 in materials vs $9,000 quote to have someone else do it, and I’ll have it done in a weekend.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:19:59 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm helping my daughter do timing chains in her 4.0 SOHC.  I can't imagine what a shop would charge for that job.

Having a working truck after the effort is a happy side effect.  The purpose of the exercise is to gain an appreciation for the value of work.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:20:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Seastate:

This for certain. I am almost glad I grew up poor because it made me much more self-sufficient than I would have been otherwise.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:21:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KELBEAST] [#13]
I go a little overboard on DIY. I drilled and tapped my own fuel rail for my engine swapped jet ski, anodized it myself… basically that’s the theme of my projects. I even 3D printed a jig for my router to open up a supercharger housing for a bigger wheel instead of paying a shop to do it in a lathe. If I can’t DIY something I’m going to figure out how I can. I wouldn’t be so opposed to paying a professional to work on my stuff if I hadn’t been completely ripped off 100% (3/3) of the times I’ve had to

roll number generator
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:24:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By KELBEAST:
I go a little overboard on DIY. I drilled and tapped my own fuel rail for my engine swapped jet ski, anodized it myself… basically that’s the theme of my projects. I even 3D printed a jig for my router to open up a supercharger housing for a bigger wheel instead of paying a shop to do it in a lathe. If I can’t DIY something I’m going to figure out how I can. I wouldn’t be so opposed to paying a professional to work on my stuff if I hadn’t been completely ripped off 100% (3/3) of the times I’ve had to

https://i.ibb.co/XbJGkZ1/IMG-0062.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/Zxd9BGw/IMG-0059.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/JBBCwxV/IMG-7919.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/bdMCxPT/IMG-0197.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/yWN1SYR/IMG-0182.jpg
https://i.ibb.co/LrtYCQK/IMG-0234.jpg
roll number generator
View Quote

This is the kind of stuff I like to do myself.

No real time pressure, enjoy the process.

But when it’s “take a week off from work to do this right now or your house contents will be ruined next time it storms” I pay someone.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Good work and good advice, gentlemen.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:27:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Especially with you tube.  How to fix X, how to replace Y.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:32:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By thesilvercord:
View Quote

How do you deal with the disappointment and dissatisfaction from the service and workmanship you get with run of the mill trade employees.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:32:50 PM EDT
[#18]
Sometimes DIY is actually DIWTF.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:36:06 PM EDT
[#19]
I have done DIY many times but it also depends what it is.

Fuck it up and it might cost you even more than if you’d paid someone to do it in the first place.

I stick to things within my skill and ability level.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:36:41 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Yup.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:38:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Wooden fencing: had a broken post, rotted at ground level. Co-worker had similar issue. We figured how to pull the concrete and post out with a bumper jack and no real digging. We replace 18 feet of pickets the 4x4 post and four 8` 2x4s for $96.00. I will be able to replace the entire fence line for about $350. Winning.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:38:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:41:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Even when paying a pro, see if you can do prep work to save money. I had a load bearing wall removed and beamed by pros. I removed all the drywall in the area, pulled/relocated the electric and thermostat, removed the duct work I was having relocated by an HVAC crew later, and left them a "clean" job to start on the minute they showed up. 3 dudes were done and gone in 7 hours.

From random articles on the Internet, I assumed it would be a $10K job ahead of time. When I had it quoted and it was $3200 I said, "when can you start?"
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:43:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Amped] [#24]
True story. I have “nice” stuff because I build “nice” stuff.

Just about wrapped up my coop build. $2000 in materials and a lot of work on the days off and after work. If I paid to have this built it would be in the $6,000-$8,000 range

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:43:56 PM EDT
[#25]
My neighbor always talks about "having a guy come out and look at it" for the easiest most mundane diy things. Got charged $100 a head to swap a few broken sprinklers.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:44:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I learned how to build automatic transmissions after i got sick and tired of paying good money for others to fuck it up.
Never had another transmission problem after I started doing them myself.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:46:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By NoStockBikes:
I saved over $5000 this weekend on 2 different necessary projects. I know the DIY ethic is alive and well in the Arfcom demographics, but it almost shook me up a bit when I thought about all the people out there just getting by who can’t, don’t, or won’t.

Project 1: Replace truck bumper. I had a thread about this one with all the details, but quick and dirty version is that I had a damaged bumper interfering with the functionality of the tailgate on a beat up GMC “farm truck.” Shop quoted me $3200. I watch some YouTube videos, bought a cheap replacement off Amazon, replaced it in about 5 hours. $250 and Inhave a working tailgate again. $2950 saved.

Project 2: BMW M4 needed brakes and rotors. Normal maintenance, it was time. (Also have some track stuff coming up in a few weeks, otherwise I could have deferred it til later this summer). Price at dealer is $3800. I ordered OEM rotors and PFC-08 pads online. Watched a couple YouTube videos, and about 3-4 hours later, another $2200 saved.

Holy crap! That’s $5050 after tax, what’s that for a footprint in your gross salary? Did I saved $5050, or did I give myself a defacto $10,000 raise? Kinda crazy to think about the impact that a few projects a year could have on an average American’s standard of living.
I guess the moral of the story is look for the opportunities and don’t be afraid to do stuff.
View Quote

What did you do with the $5,050 you ‘saved’?

I’ve always believed you don’t actually SAVE anything. You just ‘don’t spend’ it.  You’re not moving it to an account where you won’t spend it.  You’re not saving it. Saving has a purpose, a goal, a reason. Simply ‘not spending’ money doesn’t mean you’re actively saving.  They’re not the same to me.  It’s why there is a SAVINGS account and a CHECKING account.  Fill up your savings account with the money not spent. Otherwise it’s just money you didn’t spend.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:46:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Tell me about it, I've got a 5.7 Vortec that I've been limping along since January with a leaking weephole. Tuesday is the day, hopefully I have everything I need!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:47:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By Seastate:

View Quote

This 100%  gave me something to work for and taught to value what I have.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:47:53 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By STRIKE504:
My neighbor always talks about "having a guy come out and look at it" for the easiest most mundane diy things. Got charged $100 a head to swap a few broken sprinklers.
View Quote

It gives him time to do other things. For $100 he probably got 5 hours of time to do other things because someone else had the parts and didn’t need to make time to get it done. There is actually a benefit.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:51:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Krombompulos_Michael] [#31]
I have saved many thousands DIYing things.  Appliance repair (washer, dryer, microwave, dishwasher), home repair and renovation (electrical, hvac, plumbing, construction), car repair (brakes, clutches, cv joints, suspension, engine rebuild).  

I have always been mechanically inclined and am a perfectionist.  I started out doing it out of financial necessity, but continue it because I get better results and enjoy it.  

I don’t rebuild transmissions, do auto body work, or pump my septic tank.  Some things I leave to the pros for the sake of time and convenience.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#32]
As a longtime boat owner, I couldn't imagine paying to have stuff maintained or repaired. It wouldn't be possible.

The only things I pay to have done are winterization, the outdrives rebuilt and major repairs I can't tackle due to specialty equipment or knowledge if I'm super busy.
This applies to all my other hobbies.

Plus it's rewarding to get shit done yourself.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:59:39 PM EDT
[#33]
I have issues with people touching my stuff, mechanics who do shoddy work and charge crazy prices and liars.  I'll do it myself and put up with my own bitching to save myself the migraines.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:03:08 PM EDT
[#34]
Built a fence for 2K, that I was quoted 9K on.
Neighbors a contractor, showed me how to do it right.
Can’t see the difference between the pro installs and ours.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:08:26 PM EDT
[#35]
I've replaced the carb on the push mower so I could hire someone to replace the garage door spring. I value having teeth.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:11:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: NoStockBikes] [#36]
Originally Posted By durtychemist:

What did you do with the $5,050 you ‘saved’?

I’ve always believed you don’t actually SAVE anything. You just ‘don’t spend’ it.  You’re not moving it to an account where you won’t spend it.  You’re not saving it. Saving has a purpose, a goal, a reason. Simply ‘not spending’ money doesn’t mean you’re actively saving.  They’re not the same to me.  It’s why there is a SAVINGS account and a CHECKING account.  Fill up your savings account with the money not spent. Otherwise it’s just money you didn’t spend.
View Quote

It’s sitting in my bank account. They were necessary repairs/maintenance. But at the end of the day, I have that money, I did not give it to someone else.

The ultimate disposition of the money is irrelevant, because in absence of the DIY, it would not be in my possession.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#37]
Did all 4 shocks (bilsteins) all the way around my one ton Saturday. Cost less than 400 bucks for great shocks.  Did rotors and brakes a few months ago.  Figure I saved enough to offset the stuff I can't do like the head gasket and studs I paid the mechanic to do.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:14:45 PM EDT
[#38]
i'll know i've arrived when i don't have to do everything myself anymore

but since i don't see that ever happening i'll be spending the next few months with a scraper, a grinder, a paintbrush and a rusty assed 18,000 gallon tank
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:17:49 PM EDT
[#39]
I can afford a stay at home wife on my shit income because I am very capable. I work in building/mechanical maintenance so being able to borrow a work tool for something at home helps a great deal too.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:20:42 PM EDT
[#40]
View Quote

Yep. Everything from vehicles to plumbing I fix myself. Figuring it out from utube and handy friends and relatives. I got tired of paying Hvac guys to add r22. I got my 608 so I can buy refrigerant.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By TexRdnec:

but since i don't see that ever happening i'll be spending the next few months with a scraper, a grinder, a paintbrush and a rusty assed 18,000 gallon tank
View Quote

Ooh can I help?

JK
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:24:43 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

Ooh can I help?

JK
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

Ooh can I help?

JK

When come, bring beer

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:25:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouncilOfDave] [#43]
I don't usually 'save' money DIY, rather if I didn't do it myself I probably couldn't afford to have it done at all, or within a reasonable time frame.

My income is also dependent on other people not being willing (or able) to do things themselves. So, not upset at it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:29:19 PM EDT
[#44]
I was explaining this to my son yesterday. He's about to be 14 and I told him the next time of of the vehicles needs an oil change, he'll be joining me under the car.

He made a face and said "but dad, I don't get it. You make really good money and even in this economy, we can still do fun things, eat out, blah blah blah..." Side note: I've been teaching him to manage money and about the economy).

I tell him let's do the math. We have 2 vehicles, and they each average 3 oil changes a year. They take the same oil and filter. The filters cost is $8 each. The oil cost is $30 for 6 quarts for full synthetic. All in the cost is ~$250 with tax. The average cost for a full synthetic oil change in my area is $70. That's ~$420 for the same number of oil changes.

Which means by doing it myself, I'm saving about $170/year. That 2 dinners for our family at TX Roadhouse. Or 4 trips to the movies for he and I. Then I compounded that with tire rotation, fluid checks and maintenance, changing serpentine belts, etc. It adds up.

I'll hire a repairman for things that are super difficult or out of my skillset. But to the OP's point, if I can reasonably do it by watching a few YT vids, I'm down that path quick.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:39:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I am redoing my basement, demoed, cut up the floor and moved a 1/2 bath and made it a full bath. I also built a vault, including making my own door.

The basement also included basically rewiring everything and adding 25 lights. I am an electrician and would have quoted the just the electric work at around 6-7k. I have no idea what it would have cost to cut up 15 feet of concrete and patch it after adding all new drains. Then build a wall and bar, with all new wiring and plumbing for the bar and bathroom.

Right now including the vault door I am in about 6500 bucks, not including the floor and paint I still need to spend about 250. My guess to pay a contractor to get a plumber, electrician, and carpenter for framing and drywall would be 40k or more not including the vault door. I should be all in under 10k, saving 30k or more.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:40:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I do pretty much everything myself, the only problem is that while I do save a decent amount of cash, it takes me considerably longer....and sometimes it doesn't get done at all.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:41:14 PM EDT
[#47]
I always carry a crescent wrench and a condom...If I can't fix it...fuck it!
Given enough time and determination the average man can fix anything. You just have to know who to ask for advice.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:45:28 PM EDT
[#48]
I find that taking people with these types of skills hunting has more than paid off in brake jobs, electrical work, etc.

Bonus. Made some new friends.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:45:57 PM EDT
[#49]

When come, bring beer

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30587/IMG_6228-3212948.jpg
View Quote

Uh.

You're gonna need a bottle of whiskey.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#50]
I am going to attempt to bleed the brakes on 2 of my vehicles, and change the rotors and brake pads if they need it.

I installed the hitch and electrical harness myself on one of them.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top