BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:12:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of this contradicts the fact that Hogg was accepted to go there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is simply not true.  People do fail out of Harvard.

Again,  of the 2 million or so kids going to college every year, Harvard is usually the most competitive normal school and gets about 2000 of them.   What results would you expect from a cohort that is mostly the absolute smartest and most motivated kids in the country?

We are not talking about kids who did really well in school, we are talking about kids that made the news for how smart they are and what projects they did.

Considering it is a student body of valedictorians that speak 3 languages, play an instrument well,  have published research and were class presidents,  it is a pretty tense place sometimes.  A lot of high strung over achieving people.   These are not often people who fail.
All of this contradicts the fact that Hogg was accepted to go there.
Indeed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:15:35 AM EDT
[#2]
That makes the Harvard entry seem more like an art school.

I went to college with several people who had shit grades, no work ethic, and no high school extra curriculars, and they got into the same program I was in based entirely on their portfolio.

... and then those same kids washed out one and two years in.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:28:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
That makes the Harvard entry seem more like an art school.

I went to college with several people who had shit grades, no work ethic, and no high school extra curriculars, and they got into the same program I was in based entirely on their portfolio.

... and then those same kids washed out one and two years in.
View Quote
Geez guys.  How many times do I have to explain it.

Most kids getting into Harvard are the best of the best, all around.   A small percent are still top students but check off some box.   Only a handful are not nationally competitive students that get in based on dad's wallet, political clout or fame.....and sometimes kids with dad's wallet, political clout or fame are still nationally competitive.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:29:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It is that way at all but a handful of schools and Harvard is far from the worst.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My brother in law is a sophomore there. Hes an absolute genius and conservative. Says that the amount of stupid and SJW there is unbearable.
It is that way at all but a handful of schools and Harvard is far from the worst.
There's a way better school a couple miles down Mass Ave where this SJW shit is at a minimum, but you probably couldn't get in there....

I know you went to Harvard or something, but their college and business school are notorious for grade inflation, don't even try to deny it.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:39:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

There's a way better school a couple miles down Mass Ave where this SJW shit is at a minimum, but you probably couldn't get in there....
View Quote
In a lot of ways, MIT is a better school. In some ways, it is not.

My claim is not (and never has been) that Harvard is the best school in the world.  My claim, and it is true by most every metric, is that it is a really good school that is the best branded school in the world.

Most anything else I say is experience based and/or statistically backed.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:40:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I know you went to Harvard or something, but their college and business school are notorious for grade inflation, don't even try to deny it.
View Quote
You added the grade inflation part after I posted.  Most places do that. Harvard is no more *notorious* than throngs of other schools.   The other issue is that has nothing to do with what kind of cohort they admit.

....or something.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:46:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My claim is not (and never has been) that Harvard is the best school in the world.  My claim, and it is true by most every metric, is that it is a really good school that is the best branded school in the world.

View Quote
The decision to admit David Hogg, especially with that low an SAT, is detrimental to Harvard's reputation. Most people with my background would agree.

Having that low an SAT score (an IQ correlated number), would make you intellectually uncompetitive and below the standard at what I believe to be academically elite institutions.

Now if Hogg was 1500+, I would have no problem with his admission. But if he were actually that smart he probably would've formed some more cogent thoughts for his 15 minutes.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:49:46 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The decision to admit David Hogg, especially with that low an SAT, is detrimental to Harvard's reputation. Most people with my background would agree.

Having that low an SAT score (an IQ correlated number), would make you intellectually uncompetitive and below the standard at what I believe to be academically elite institutions.
View Quote
There are people's opinions and there are Harvard's results.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:50:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
OK, so he got accepted... isn't Harvard like 50 grand a semester? Who's paying for that?

And if he's academically a stump, how is he going to pass? Is Harvard known for rubber stamping media darlings through their programs?

He is going to either flunk out and be drowning in student debt or survive to be last in his class and drowning in student debt. Sounds like this is the christmas ribbon on the end of a big metal dildo to me.
View Quote
Nobody pays (at the time) to go to Harvard.  Their endowment pays. Generous donations to the endowment from alumni are expected after grduation, of course.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:51:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
My gifted child got a 1260 in 7th grade. She couldn't get into Harvard.
View Quote
Was she Dorito-American?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:52:57 AM EDT
[#11]
If he was Asian he would've been rejected
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:58:09 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
If he was Asian he would've been rejected
View Quote
He's white male, by all indications he should've been rejected based on his SAT alone.

Whats interesting is the question if why he was admitted. Two possibilities:

1.) He donated money. If that's the case, I'm not worried about Harvard, this is business as usual.

2.) His "activism" is aligned with what Harvard believes as an institution, which if Harvard considered his non sensical screeching as an indicator of future success, I have serious doubts about the talent they have in their admissions committee.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 2:59:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Nobody pays (at the time) to go to Harvard.  Their endowment pays. Generous donations to the endowment from alumni are expected after grduation, of course.
View Quote
That is absurd. Nobody expects shit and the power of the Harvard alumni network is not based on anything you give, at least for those who need the networking the most.

By definition, meaty donations are from successful people well into their careers or beyond. They gain nothing other than what it means to them.   Recently graduated or mid career guy who gives some small amount.....who the fuck even knows?   Some obscure reference to your name as "having given" along with 7000 other names?   Now you are "in"....?

When you reach out to the mechanisms of Harvard (or they reach out to you) in order to take advantage of the brand, no one has a clue if or what you gave.

Hell, they do not even ask (or so it seems to me)  Graduates get Harvard Magazine, for free, for life.   It isnt even that interesting.  They are the only people ever actively hitting me up for a donation.  "You get this great magazine for free, please help us."
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 5:14:55 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
1270 SAT is pretty respectable.
View Quote
It’s mediocre as shit.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:10:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Is this the same school that accepted the guy because he wrote “BLACK LIVES MATTER” 1000 times?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:43:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What does that mean?

The U.S. is becoming more and more diverse.  With the exception of the high over representation of Asians (and the fact that a huge chunk of the "White" are really Jewish)  The amount of Blacks and Hispanics are under represented compared to the U.S. population.

Harvard is actually in trouble for trying to normalize their admission to look more like the US population.  They have throttled Asian admissions to let in more non Asian minorities.

Ultimately, in the real world, as a group, Asians and Jews do over perform.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Building their own little utopia of what they think America should be under the guise of what the real world is.
What does that mean?

The U.S. is becoming more and more diverse.  With the exception of the high over representation of Asians (and the fact that a huge chunk of the "White" are really Jewish)  The amount of Blacks and Hispanics are under represented compared to the U.S. population.

Harvard is actually in trouble for trying to normalize their admission to look more like the US population.  They have throttled Asian admissions to let in more non Asian minorities.

So... Why is the under grad 25% Jewish if it is looking like America?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Nevermind……….
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:20:10 AM EDT
[#18]
I hope he gets the help he needs....like pushed in front of a bus or something helpful.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:27:40 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:28:40 AM EDT
[#20]
It's kind of nice of them to offer a spot to an emotionally challenged not real bright white kid.  I wonder if he'll be able to hack it?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It occurs to me that a person that was really so confident in the superiority of a Harvard education would not be .... and I really hate to use this word ... so triggered as you obviously are.

You've really devoted an unusual amount of effort to this thread.  Shouldn't a Harvard grad have better things to do?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:41:44 AM EDT
[#22]
fuck hoggy

somebody needs to Challenger that fuckwit
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:49:52 AM EDT
[#23]
Two of many things I don’t care about. Hogg and Haaaarvard. I had almost forgot about them until this thread. Unfortunately a Haaarvard degree may give more credibility to Hogg’s opinions to the useful idiots.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 8:59:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Because they have to crank out those Jews to give you something to fear.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:02:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

It occurs to me that a person that was really so confident in the superiority of a Harvard education would not be .... and I really hate to use this word ... so triggered as you obviously are.

You've really devoted an unusual amount of effort to this thread.  Shouldn't a Harvard grad have better things to do?
View Quote
So you have whiffed your way down to attacking me for doing what you are doing?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:14:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol ok
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 9:25:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What does that mean?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Building their own little utopia of what they think America should be under the guise of what the real world is.
What does that mean?

Forget the US population makeup here for a minute.
Based on my personal experience, which may be limited as compared with yours, I've never worked anywhere with a demographic makeup anywhere near what that class represents.  I would assume that Harvard wants to mimick the leadership of the highest performing companies in the business world.  They are not in the business of cranking out drones, right?  I've never worked for a Fortune 500 company.  Is Harvard's incoming class demographics representative of the leadership structure of the average Fortune 500 company?  I would assume it's not, but I honestly don't know.
Clue me in here since you seem to be on top of all this information.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Why don't they just give him a PhD in Philosophy, grant him a job as a Professor with tenure so that he can molest like minded Freshmen there for the rest of his life.
View Quote
Be patient - give 'em a few years.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 10:53:49 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Most kids getting into Harvard are the best of the best, all around.   A small percent are still top students but check off some box.   Only a handful are not nationally competitive students that get in based on dad's wallet, political clout or fame.....and sometimes kids with dad's wallet, political clout or fame are still nationally competitive.
View Quote
To quote the NRA, all this isn't my lane... I'm only going by my own experiences going to a medium-rent art college in the early 90s.

Perhaps Hogg will swim when given the fanciest pool to sink in, but the whole situation just rubs me the wrong way.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:10:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
To quote the NRA, all this isn't my lane... I'm only going by my own experiences going to a medium-rent art college in the early 90s.

Perhaps Hogg will swim when given the fanciest pool to sink in, but the whole situation just rubs me the wrong way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So it's only the best of the best of the best.

But not by academic standards.  
But there is no nepotism.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:10:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So you have whiffed your way down to attacking me for doing what you are doing?
View Quote
Whiffed my way down with my two posts in this thread, one of which consisted of the single word “indeed”?
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:19:16 PM EDT
[#32]
20 years from now he'll hold his first national level political office.

Its all a game.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:21:19 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
In some schools the high level classes are a 2 GP bump. Where I teach that’s the case. Eg a 95 in my APUSH class equals a 5.5, while a 70 is a 4.

Hogg was a C student until you add grade weights. Colleges don’t look at weighted averages anymore, though the will consider AP/ IB scores even if they don’t give credit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honors, AP and IB courses are out of 5.0 (A would be a 5.0).

How in the hell did Hogg get accepted?  Those are rookie numbers. Getting a sub-1300 score on the SAT should be an automatic denial.

Lol
In some schools the high level classes are a 2 GP bump. Where I teach that’s the case. Eg a 95 in my APUSH class equals a 5.5, while a 70 is a 4.

Hogg was a C student until you add grade weights. Colleges don’t look at weighted averages anymore, though the will consider AP/ IB scores even if they don’t give credit.
I know.

I'm an IB teacher and deal with helping students get into schools like Harvard.

Hogg getting in has nothing to do with his scores or potential.

Name the most popular high school student in the US.

Whether you like it or not, that's your answer. Sadly, that's says more about Harvard than anything else in this thread.

The publicity move is working though.  We are talking about Harvard and the anti-gun movement.  It's a win-win for these two parties.
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 12:26:54 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 12/22/2018 6:46:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
It has been my observation that someone of average intelligence can get through most any college program. A strong enough will can make up for being average.

The problem for me was, because knowledge and grasp had always come so easy to me, I was somewhat lazy.    While the work at Harvard was usually not taxing, there was soooooooo much of it.  The volume was my struggle....again, because I was lazy.   This is where the folks who had to always work harder to make up for not being as smart really stood out.   They were used to the grind and grind they did.  I had to put all my effort into forcing myself to grind.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have to ask with all this talk of Harvard being the best of the best of the best... how will someone with slightly above average grades actually perform at the school?

I mean, my SAT scores back in my day were equal to Hoggs, and from the picture being painted here I would have been completely ill prepared for Harvard. I got above average grades at the college I went to, but the college I went to was an art college. I wasn’t splitting atoms or theorizing physics, I just had to know my painters, understand English writing, and know how to film stuff. Put me in an advanced math or chemistry class and it would take every fiber of my being to hold an honest C. I don’t think I’d survive... and that is someone who was a solid B+ student. Then again ima type b personality, and I don’t think people like me go to Harvard. People like me go to art college then spend my life working in television and running small businesses.
It has been my observation that someone of average intelligence can get through most any college program. A strong enough will can make up for being average.

The problem for me was, because knowledge and grasp had always come so easy to me, I was somewhat lazy.    While the work at Harvard was usually not taxing, there was soooooooo much of it.  The volume was my struggle....again, because I was lazy.   This is where the folks who had to always work harder to make up for not being as smart really stood out.   They were used to the grind and grind they did.  I had to put all my effort into forcing myself to grind.  
Thanks for this.  I really enjoy nearly all of your posts.
So tell us, will Hogg be successful there? How much help will be required for him to be?  Will Harvard pull out all stops to ensure he comes out the other end?  How is it his grades and sat are suddenly so different?  Why does Harvard accept some calstate reject?
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:39:23 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Thanks for this.  I really enjoy nearly all of your posts.
So tell us, will Hogg be successful there? How much help will be required for him to be?  Will Harvard pull out all stops to ensure he comes out the other end?  How is it his grades and sat are suddenly so different?  Why does Harvard accept some calstate reject?
View Quote
I really do not know what level of help they will give him.  Harvard has a lot of programs to help its students.    My best guess is they will likely help him *all he needs* because if he fails, Harvard has egg on its face and Harvard does not do "being wrong" very well.

Why did they accept him?  Because past the politics, past the headlines, past what a nasty little shit I (and most of us) think he is, he is a high school student who became a national celebrity as an activist.    At a nothing school,  who knows what he can make of himself.  A place like Harvard can, with a lot of work on his part, put him on track to becoming influential in bigger ways   That is what Harvard does.

Past all of that, there is the very real possibility that his multi-millionaire father cut a check and it could be that simple.  Harvard, and plenty of other schools, sell admission.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:41:35 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

So it's only the best of the best of the best.

But not by academic standards.  
But there is no nepotism.
View Quote
You want to create an absurd narrative, even when the simple math of it all has been posted, more than once.

You are not being clever, you are lashing out.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 2:53:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Forget the US population makeup here for a minute.
Based on my personal experience, which may be limited as compared with yours, I've never worked anywhere with a demographic makeup anywhere near what that class represents.  I would assume that Harvard wants to mimick the leadership of the highest performing companies in the business world.  They are not in the business of cranking out drones, right?  I've never worked for a Fortune 500 company.  Is Harvard's incoming class demographics representative of the leadership structure of the average Fortune 500 company?  I would assume it's not, but I honestly don't know.
Clue me in here since you seem to be on top of all this information.
View Quote
Harvard does not only produce business leaders.  That is a pretty myopic view, hell only a small % of Harvard graduates even study business.    Harvard churns out people that go into everything.  The arts, government, activism, think tanks, consulting, the military, non profit, academia, foreign governments, and yes business.....just like most schools do. The difference is, on average, Harvard graduates have better outcomes in those fields.

When you think of something like a degree in womans studies....yeah, that usually sets up people for a life NOT in womens studies.  However, they are very powerful and well paying jobs in the field, just not many and they are mostly going to go to people from places like Harvard.

There is also a lot of *dirty* math to the issue of demographics.   Graduating another perfect scores Asian computer engineer nets you a really good cog.  Graduating a lesser scoring but still outstanding black guy....that guy gets fought over and rockets right to the top.   All schools are cranking out Asians with good scores.

If your mission is to produce the people that will go the farthest....and you can crank out 10 Asians that will do well, like all schools do, or you can give those slots to the 10 best black kids you can find, who will be prizes.....what choice do you make?   Harvard and a few other schools get to attract those people.

I do not know if that is a good thing, but it is exactly what is happening.
Link Posted: 12/23/2018 3:05:33 AM EDT
[#39]
That's not good enough.
Even if he's coddled, the flameout should be good for a chuckle.
Link Posted: 12/24/2018 3:34:41 PM EDT
[#40]
The admissions process is much worse at many of the top state schools versus the private ones.  For example, the University of Texas, has stopped pretending that academic potential drives the decisions and have adopted “holistic reviews”.  This is code for legal discrimination against white males - especially Christians. They don’t consider test scores or even grades (top 10% rule is meaningless for many reasons).  If you are a +1450 SAT, top 5%, president of multiple clubs and charities white male you won’t get a single scholarship at UT or A&M anymore.  I observed this with half a dozen young men the past couple of years.  It’s not an isolated event.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:58:58 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
My university was ranked sixth or seventh in the world during my studies, and it was still beaten every year by Harvard and MIT.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 2:45:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
My gifted child got a 1260 in 7th grade. She couldn't get into Harvard.
View Quote
Hogg only had an SAT of 1270 and the average Harvard SAT is around 1500.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:31:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

@neshomamench

holy shit, i lol'ed hard at the above.  well played, Cantab, well played.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Really? That is what you get from that?    A simple conversation about statistics and you see a Jewish boogie man over a spelling error?

Fuck it.  Yeah, your screwed.  A team of kung fu Rabbis will be over to your house in about 87 minutes to fuck you out of your grandpa's nickel collection.  Oh, and the next time you try to use an ATM, it will give you the finger. Pray we don't alter the deal further

@neshomamench

holy shit, i lol'ed hard at the above.  well played, Cantab, well played.
Dude, Jews don't study Kung Fu, they study "Jew Jit su"...

(quote from Jewish guy in my japaneese juijitsu class. ) .
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 3:44:21 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
The admissions process is much worse at many of the top state schools versus the private ones.  For example, the University of Texas, has stopped pretending that academic potential drives the decisions and have adopted “holistic reviews”.  This is code for legal discrimination against white males - especially Christians. They don’t consider test scores or even grades (top 10% rule is meaningless for many reasons).  If you are a +1450 SAT, top 5%, president of multiple clubs and charities white male you won’t get a single scholarship at UT or A&M anymore.  I observed this with half a dozen young men the past couple of years.  It’s not an isolated event.
View Quote
DUH, this is why ancestry.com DNA tests, and a week of "being wiccan" are important. With some creative numbers tweeking, your kid can go from "christian white kid, with a top 20% GPA/SAT score" to  a native American (1/1024th) wiccan applicant who scores in the top 1%. Basically it sounds like an application is like a resume, you didn't LIE, you just artfully inflated your experiences so you could get in the door.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 7:14:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
DUH, this is why ancestry.com DNA tests, and a week of "being wiccan" are important. With some creative numbers tweeking, your kid can go from "christian white kid, with a top 20% GPA/SAT score" to  a native American (1/1024th) wiccan applicant who scores in the top 1%. Basically it sounds like an application is like a resume, you didn't LIE, you just artfully inflated your experiences so you could get in the door.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorta like his post?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:50:45 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:59:06 PM EDT
[#47]
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top