Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:08:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Might wind up with more machinists, electricians, carpenters, and plumbers, too.
View Quote
This. Get some work done for a change.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#2]
OK, I watched the BS video. It is a butt wad of BS. He spouts all the usual, evil, uber rich, cold hearted Bankers blaming them for all the ills that have befallen the poor, deadbeat students. Then in the next breath claims all that has to happen is the government wave a magic wand and "Poof" debt gone. No pain, no sweat, debt just disappears, right? Wrong.

Let's look at this from another direction. If a couple Trillion write off is trivial, let's go all out and really change the world. Substitute the words "Student Loans" for "Mortgage Loans" and apply the same reasoning and fake economic benefits used and open your eyes. The mortgage industry would cease to exist, banks would fold, people's life savings disappear, land value would plummet. The ripple effect would be catastrophic. The happy rose colored glasses will hide all the black right?

You want to fix the snowflake degree issue. Simply declare them as unaccredited degrees. No loans eligible. Fixed.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:17:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
You want to fix the snowflake degree issue. Simply declare them as unaccredited degrees. No loans eligible. Fixed.
View Quote
You want to make Wimmin's Studies degrees unaccredited?  REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE REEEEEEEEEEEEE REEEEEEEEEE
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:19:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
They're not real debts though. They were government guaranteed and not dischargeable like a traditional debt, and the lenders were somewhat coerced into making them.

It would't be a terrible idea to make them dischargeable through bankruptcy, IMO.

At this point, there's a huge amount of money tied up in all of it, so there's not going to be any easy answer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.
Pay your debts.
They're not real debts though. They were government guaranteed and not dischargeable like a traditional debt, and the lenders were somewhat coerced into making them.

It would't be a terrible idea to make them dischargeable through bankruptcy, IMO.

At this point, there's a huge amount of money tied up in all of it, so there's not going to be any easy answer.
I don't think they should be discharged but they should be tax deductible regardless of income. If I invest $100000 into my education then I should be able to deduct the interest paid. Especially considering 8% is a good interest rate for Student Loans.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:19:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
No.
Pay your debts.
View Quote
Agreed, or give me the fucking equivalent tax credit for two kids.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:22:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

You want to make Wimmin's Studies degrees unaccredited?  REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE REEEEEEEEEEEEE REEEEEEEEEE
View Quote
So you want Madonna Butt Studies an accredited degree?  
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
No.
Pay your debts.

WTF. They are real debts. They should be repaid in full.

Don't borrow it if you don't have the capability to repay it. Also, don't go to the most extensive school, borrow living expenses, and otherwise make awful financial decisions.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:30:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

They were told their entire lives that going to a 4 year college for any degree was what they had to do unless they wanted to be a fucking looser.
View Quote
Yep, mine told that all my life, they STILL tell me this even I have a associates degree, they want me to get Bachelor's in something, but there is literally no point
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:32:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Don't borrow it if you don't have the capability to repay it. Also, don't go to the most extensive school, borrow living expenses, and otherwise make awful financial decisions.
View Quote
They're not. Lenders didn't calculate any of the normal risks associated with lending because they were government guaranteed, and could never be discharged.

That's not real world lending, at least not anywhere I'm familiar with.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 7:43:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Good. They should be hard to get. Imagine the consequences:

No more $120,000 undergrad debt.

No more Social Justice Studies degrees.

No more $12/hour receptionist jobs demanding a Bachelors degree.
View Quote
Yep
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#11]
I paid off my student loan free and clear

Do i get a refund?!
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:17:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
These threads are always a magnet for people who don't have the IQ power to factor in second and third order effects.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You “pay your debts” guys do not understand that bankruptcy exists to make lenders more careful about who they lend to, and for what.  Maybe your attitude is why we have grads with $120k in debt for a Womyns Studies degree wanting Bernie Sanders to rescue them.
These threads are always a magnet for people who don't have the IQ power to factor in second and third order effects.
They remind me of Old Economy Steve memes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:53:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 8:56:58 PM EDT
[#14]
The best idea is for the schools to guarantee the debt.  Let them make the determination who gets a loan, and bear the risk of bad decisions.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#15]
Forgive the debt. Give them what they want and win anyway. Make the universities suffer the loss.

Universities can then only afford to sustain programs that have a high placement / repayment rate.

All the BS programs get shut down for lack of funding.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:05:10 PM EDT
[#16]
These student loans are somebody else's asset, probably a banks asset.  Those banks are owned by stockholders, namely you and me.  We have money in retirement accounts which are holding those Government guaranteed loans.  Cancel the debt and our asset becomes worthless, causing a crash.  If the government pays the banks for the loss, that money also comes out of our pockets.  This is a lose/lose for the USA economy.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:16:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
These student loans are somebody else's asset, probably a banks asset.  Those banks are owned by stockholders, namely you and me.  We have money in retirement accounts which are holding those Government guaranteed loans.  Cancel the debt and our asset becomes worthless, causing a crash.  If the government pays the banks for the loss, that money also comes out of our pockets.  This is a lose/lose for the USA economy.
View Quote
A salient point.

However you slice it, the student debt is SOMEBODY'S money.

"Forgiving" this debt is a TAKING, however it is done.

Pick your victim, pick your loser.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep, mine told that all my life, they STILL tell me this even I have a associates degree, they want me to get Bachelor's in something, but there is literally no point
View Quote
I still have relatives asking if I'm still going to school so I can get my degree.

Yeah, I want to finish school and take a minimum of $60K a year pay cut.

Plus I love the job I have now!
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:18:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A salient point.

However you slice it, the student debt is SOMEBODY'S money.

"Forgiving" this debt is a TAKING, however it is done.

Pick your victim, pick your loser.
View Quote
one time 90% tax on all endowements.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:18:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You signed the fucking loan papers,no one forced you to do it.
View Quote
HAR! horselaff!

so.. you take an 18 year old kid out of highschool and make it possible for him to go to 'animal house' and party for 4 years, guess what he's gonna do. even if it costs 200k  (and some cost this much). lots of blame here, lots of blame belongs to the republicans and their banker friends, lots of blame here for colleges  raising tuition because they saw the gravy train coming and jumped on board. lots of blame on this country in general making it seem like you have to go to college, you dont want to get a job as some sort of laborer, mechanic, welder, plumber, electrician because its not cool.

and it does fuck the economy big time. and.. mark my words, folks like things for free, make it seem like kids will have tens of thousands of dollars in debt forgiven, provide a credible presidential candidate that offers this and guess who these folks will vote for. if you sew the wind you will reap the whirlwind... so pick your poison and lay the blame all around, because it aint just the folks going off to colleges faults, its the banks, the congress critters that voted it in (cant go bankrupt), the colleges that raised tuition and the parents who told little johnny if he wanted to amount to anything, he needed to go to college.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:25:04 PM EDT
[#21]
No matter how you slice it, if we don't change something about the student loan racket, there will be forgiveness of some sort eventually.

Too many people are going too far into debt.  Too many jobs "require" a degree, so more and more people are forced to get a degree that is completely unnecessary. Eventually there will be so many that loan forgiveness will be passed, likely with any sort of loan reform.

Quit guaranteeing all the loans, make them dischargeable, and package that with a plan to ease the current loan burden and set up a merit based loan system.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:25:14 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

one time 90% tax on all endowements.
View Quote
I like it.
It's STILL a taking, but I like it.
It falls under the heading of "rob someone else".
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I dont care what they were told when they were young. I was told the same things and even encouraged to take on debt by my dad. I knew it wasnt a good idea. I found a different way. I didnt go to my last 2 years of high school, instead i went to a local community college that the state payed rather than having to pay the high school. I did have to test well to be eligible though.

We have an entire culture of no responsibility for your actions. That isnt a good thing

ALSO YOU CANNOT SPEND YOURSELF IN TO PROSPERITY

I did watch the video. Stupid people being held back in life isnt my problem nor should i have to pay for it. Been debt free my entire life
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:37:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:39:05 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
No.
Pay your debts.
View Quote
agree...or get a job out of hs and not go to college and pay obscene monies on a major that won't pay.  Better yet, kill half the colleges in this country as their degrees are worthless.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:41:32 PM EDT
[#26]
The only way I'd support bankruptcy discharge is if the gov got out of the loan business.

Make lenders use risk analysis like any other loan.

Going to school to become a nurse or engineer? Here's your loan, disbursed every semester based on GPA.

Want a loan for Amphibian Gender Dysphoria in Sub Saharan Africa? That will be 25% down with a parental co-signer or other responsible guarantor.

Consumers researching the hard ROI numbers for their education investment would be a good idea as well.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The simple solution is to make student loans dischargeable in bankruptcy, and get the government out of lending. Put the lenders on the hook, and watch the tuition inflation problem fix itself.
View Quote
This.

Tuition will drop like a stone to affordable rates in a nanosecond.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:42:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:53:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I like it.
View Quote
colleges created this shit, paid themselves handsomely, gave out shit degrees and expect someone else to pay?

fuck them.  they created this entitled monster.  They can fucking feed it.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
colleges created this shit, paid themselves handsomely, gave out shit degrees and expect someone else to pay?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like it.

Link Posted: 4/27/2019 9:58:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
They're not. Lenders didn't calculate any of the normal risks associated with lending because they were government guaranteed, and could never be discharged.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was real money. 1.5 trillion (according to the video). Fuck that, they can pay their debts. Sorry but his reasoning for not paying it back is bullshit "boo hoo, paying back money borrowed is hard, I'd rather buy a house".
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:01:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
It was real money. 1.5 trillion (according to the video). Fuck that, they can pay their debts. Sorry but his reasoning for not paying it back is bullshit "boo hoo, paying back money borrowed is hard, I'd rather buy a house".
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not saying it shouldn't be paid back. I think they were scammed, personally, and I think they people who scammed them ought to pay it back.

You're right it can't just disappear. But let's hold those who sold the defective goods responsible.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
Total value of college endowements in 2015 was 540 billion dollars.

That is probably 700 billion now.

They can pay off half the debt, and SS subtractions can pay the rest.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:04:19 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:06:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If I am paying off their debt I want to be given a degree.
View Quote
Oooh, what if we sponsored one of them and assumed their debt? Could we have their degree?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:07:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Thank you!

Just like everyone bitching around 2007-2008 about "evil corporations" and "evil bankers" that just MADE them buy a 3,000 square foot chipboard McMansion because their 2.5 children just had to have the space. So they bought overpriced crap in an overpriced market, then when the perceived value of it went up $10,000. they used the house as an ATM and got heloc loans so they could go to disney for 2 weeks (another necessity). When Housing Bubble 1.0 burst it damn sure wasn't their fault they made bad decisions!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You signed the fucking loan papers,no one forced you to do it.
Thank you!

Just like everyone bitching around 2007-2008 about "evil corporations" and "evil bankers" that just MADE them buy a 3,000 square foot chipboard McMansion because their 2.5 children just had to have the space. So they bought overpriced crap in an overpriced market, then when the perceived value of it went up $10,000. they used the house as an ATM and got heloc loans so they could go to disney for 2 weeks (another necessity). When Housing Bubble 1.0 burst it damn sure wasn't their fault they made bad decisions!
Amen to everything you said, with one exception:

The sub-prime bubble was on the gov - for forcing lenders to give loans to poor candidates in the interest of "fairness".

Sure, the consumers themselves never should have taken those loans - but the lenders shouldn't have been forced to underwrite them.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:08:17 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
So what about my wife and I that busted our ass to pay off our nearly $50k in student loan debt? Do we get a reimbursement check, or are we penalized for paying our debt while others are rewarded for not paying theirs?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:13:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I'm not saying it shouldn't be paid back. I think they were scammed, personally, and I think they people who scammed them ought to pay it back.

You're right it can't just disappear. But let's hold those who sold the defective goods responsible.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You thinking "they" were scammed is irrelevant. Not all of "them" are in the same boat with useless degrees. They entered a contract, they agreed to the price and the term. They can pay it back. 1.5 trillion fuckin dollars isn't going to just go away. It's stupid to pretend the economic impacts won't effect everyone (even those of us that avoided making stupid financial decisions early in life).

Getting the government out of this process is the right solution. Letting people pay back thier debts is also the right decision.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:14:29 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

So what about my wife and I that busted our ass to pay off our nearly $50k in student loan debt? Do we get a reimbursement check, or are we penalized for paying our debt while others are rewarded for not paying theirs?
View Quote
Good for you?

Are you as angry about this as you are at the takers buying groceries with your money every day?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:15:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote
If colleges were held accountable my dick would be able to cut diamonds.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:18:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:19:14 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

You thinking "they" were scammed is irrelevant. Not all of "them" are in the same boat with useless degrees. They entered a contract, they agreed to the price and the term. They can pay it back. 1.5 trillion fuckin dollars isn't going to just go away. It's stupid to pretend the economic impacts won't effect everyone (even those of us that avoided making stupid financial decisions early in life).

Getting the government out of this process is the right solution. Letting people pay back thier debts is also the right decision.
View Quote
They were scammed. They were promised something for their contract that never materialized, i.e. a way to pay back their loans through well-paying jobs.
They were told this for most of their lives.

When that doesn't deliver, that's practically the textbook definition of a scam, which would effectively make them a victim.

Now, contract law being what it is, garnishing the SS they'll never receive anyway along with making the universities pay would be perfectly acceptable if the degreed baristas can't come up with a good payment plan.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:19:17 PM EDT
[#44]
Where did the money come from that is loaned out?  It was created entirely for that loan.  The banks figure out how much money they want to lend out, then take in the legally required fraction of that amount in savings accounts for reserves.

For the effort of someone typing digits into an account, people are indentured to pay thousands of dollars in interest payments.  Absolute clown world.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:21:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With 1.5 trillion on the line. I'd say there's a good chance you, me, and the majority of the other people posting in this thread will pay a portion of it in some form.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#46]
I don't approve of forgiving people for debt they willingly agreed to accept.

I also don't approve of the way that people get raked over the coals for tuition when much of that tuition is wasted...I say again...WASTED....on taking required classes that impart no useful knowledge that has any relevance to the degree program(s) the student is pursuing.

In my case my field is electronics.  If I'd pursued a degree it'd be an EE.  Electrical Engineering.

I'd never have had any issue taking any and every class in an EE program that is directly related to the discipline.

But the non-technical courses that are required to go along with it,  arts, humanities, speech, physical education, electives....not one of them should be a degree requirement.   It's their additional cost that is a major reason why I didn't pursue an EE degree.   I refused to take out student loan debt and could not afford the full program.   Plus you can't possibly find a person who's LESS interested in most of those courses.

I think that colleges and universities should offer a new class of degree:  Engineering Specialist degrees.   It's the core engineering program without the added arts, humanities, speech, PE, and electives.   Taking those later would upgrade an ES degree to the full level.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Takers buying groceries with my money are theoritcally poorly off.

This is a doctor/lawyer taking my money to pay off their debt while already set up to make tons of money.

Its the pinacle of privilege.

The rich get richer I guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good for you?

Are you as angry about this as you are at the takers buying groceries with your money every day?
Takers buying groceries with my money are theoritcally poorly off.

This is a doctor/lawyer taking my money to pay off their debt while already set up to make tons of money.

Its the pinacle of privilege.

The rich get richer I guess.
Oh, I wouldn't offer them this deal. Well, maybe a starving lawyer... Maybe...

A good number of young doctors, most of them in fact, are following a plan called FIRE (Financial Independence Retire Early) which entails that they pay their debt, buy investments, and retire as quickly as possible to get out of medicine.

Which in fact makes them a very attractive risk to lenders.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View Quote
We get that but there is no free ride. Stupidity doesn't mean free pass.
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
They were sold a product for their debt that doesn't work...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$600 a month should not be crippling for a young person with a useful degree who lives within their means.
See that part there?...
I don't want to strawman you, but are you implying that it should be considered fraud?
Link Posted: 4/27/2019 10:24:02 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Maybe they shouldn't believe everything they are told without doing a little fucking research on their own. Why should everyone else pay your fucking debt off, fucking welfare rat?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$600 a month should not be crippling for a young person with a useful degree who lives within their means.
See that part there?...
They were told their entire lives that going to a 4 year college for any degree was what they had to do unless they wanted to be a fucking looser.
Maybe they shouldn't believe everything they are told without doing a little fucking research on their own. Why should everyone else pay your fucking debt off, fucking welfare rat?
Who is paying it off? it's canceling it.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top