BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 178
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 5:01:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FreefallRet] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

That's a good point... sure seems to be underutilized, though.

There's few more more clich  a scene in American TV than jail processing where they take the arrestee's fingerprints. Our society has been doing stuff like this since loooong before any computerized comparison methods. Doesn't seem to exist there.

I can understand database issues and the sheer scope problems, and this needing to access a local file to compare data obtained elsewhere. I can understand plenty of incompetence and gaps along the way.  But, we never really see it done. They can do DNA scans for mitichlorians, but there's no DNA samples associated with people in "the system."
View Quote
Prison didn't care as they just needed bodies.

Not like they were ever gonna be released.

Imagine how it works here, now see how it would communicate on a galaxy wide scale.

Probably didn't want it to communicate with other agencies as the truth might leak out.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 5:05:24 PM EDT
[#2]

There's few more more cliché a scene in American TV than jail processing where they take the arrestee's fingerprints. Our society has been doing stuff like this since loooong before any computerized comparison methods. Doesn't seem to exist there.

I can understand database issues and the sheer scope problems, and this needing to access a local file to compare data obtained elsewhere. I can understand plenty of incompetence and gaps along the way.  But, we never really see it done. They can do DNA scans for mitichlorians, but there's no DNA samples associated with people in "the system."
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By MarkMustang:

Fortunately for many of the heroes in those stories, the Empire never seemed to develop biometrics technology.

They did develop it eventually. Facial recognition is used in The Mandalorian, episode 15: The Believer. Mango takes off his disguise and let's the terminal scan his face so he can find Moff Gideon's position.

There's few more more cliché a scene in American TV than jail processing where they take the arrestee's fingerprints. Our society has been doing stuff like this since loooong before any computerized comparison methods. Doesn't seem to exist there.

Another notable issue with biometrics is the wide variety of lifeforms that would require identification, hence the chaincodes, which is a more manageable system of identification.  As already detailed in Bad Batch, those codes can be faked though

We use fingerprints, for example, but that wouldn't even work with most of the other species on Earth, let alone a whole universe filled with sentient species.

DNA analysis might work for some species, but you might end up having to have specific setups for many different species depending on their biology. It quickly becomes problematic, ignoring the issue of storing and efficiently communicating that amount of data given the ease and speed with which you can jump worlds.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 5:24:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Naporter:

Another notable issue with biometrics is the wide variety of lifeforms that would require identification, hence the chaincodes, which is a more manageable system of identification.  As already detailed in Bad Batch, those codes can be faked though

We use fingerprints, for example, but that wouldn't even work with most of the other species on Earth, let alone a whole universe filled with sentient species.

DNA analysis might work for some species, but you might end up having to have specific setups for many different species depending on their biology. It quickly becomes problematic, ignoring the issue of storing and efficiently communicating that amount of data given the ease and speed with which you can jump worlds.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Naporter:

Fortunately for many of the heroes in those stories, the Empire never seemed to develop biometrics technology.

They did develop it eventually. Facial recognition is used in The Mandalorian, episode 15: The Believer. Mango takes off his disguise and let's the terminal scan his face so he can find Moff Gideon's position.

The other extreme would be the Marvel universe where everyone seems to have such tech and there are zero limitations in speed or access unless the script asks for it. Two locations - "Earth" and "space," and it's apparently easier to get around space than to move between countries on Earth. Yes, I still hate the way Infinity War handled that, they could so so much more with explaining the "universe" part of the MC... U.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#4]

There's few more cliché a scene in American TV than jail processing where they take the arrestee's fingerprints. Our society has been doing stuff like this since loooong before any computerized comparison methods. Doesn't seem to exist there.

View All Quotes

There's few more cliché a scene in American TV than jail processing where they take the arrestee's fingerprints. Our society has been doing stuff like this since loooong before any computerized comparison methods. Doesn't seem to exist there.

I think maybe it is a bit of an anachronism of keeping with the spirit of the state of technology when Star Wars was originally conceptualized.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 6:05:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By exDefensorMilitas:

I think maybe it is a bit of an anachronism of keeping with the spirit of the state of technology when Star Wars was originally conceptualized.
View All Quotes

That's always a hard narrative hurdle to negotiate, no doubt.

I like how they've managed to keep computer graphics and such feel "real" despite this. Star Trek shows suffer a lot more from this problem.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#6]

But all readily defeated with a good R2 unit... or was getting R2 the key needed to access the Death Star associated with getting the plans themselves? Or is the canon that sustainment / infrastructure systems are protected differently than databases and information systems meant for non-droid interface (perhaps another oversight due to imperial conceit... even if ironic due to the recent history of actual droid armies.
View Quote

No

Just poor writing like PARSEC which messed with the entire FTL storyline for the life of the SW universe.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 6:47:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Naporter] [#7]

But all readily defeated with a good R2 unit... or was getting R2 the key needed to access the Death Star associated with getting the plans themselves? Or is the canon that sustainment / infrastructure systems are protected differently than databases and information systems meant for non-droid interface (perhaps another oversight due to imperial conceit... even if ironic due to the recent history of actual droid armies.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:
They are CACs or a SIPR Token depending on what system they are on.

In Rebels they frequently had to intercept imperial droids to get the credentials for Chopper to access some imperial systems.

That said, it also goes towards what Cassian said about their hubris. They wouldn't guess a person would just walk in and steal something, let alone a lowly droid.

R2 is a special case as well. His memory never got wiped. It was a major point of contention when discovered during TCW. Even Chopper got his wiped on occasion to protect Intel.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 6:59:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By FreefallRet:

Imagine how it works here, now see how it would communicate on a galaxy wide scale.

Probably didn't want it to communicate with other agencies as the truth might leak out.
View Quote

I imagine a galaxy-spanning technological bureaucracy that's literally thousands of years old. Our gov bureaucracy has only been computerized for a few decades on a single planet, and it's already a mass of half-connected legacy systems, data silos, and stop-gap fixes. Add in tons of other lifeforms and an actively secretive empire, and it's absolutely believable that he could be on a Most Wanted list in one system, but not exist at all in dozens of others.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:08:35 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Xyster7212:

I imagine a galaxy-spanning technological bureaucracy that's literally thousands of years old. Our gov bureaucracy has only been computerized for a few decades on a single planet, and it's already a mass of half-connected legacy systems, data silos, and stop-gap fixes. Add in tons of other lifeforms and an actively secretive empire, and it's absolutely believable that he could be on a Most Wanted list in one system, but not exist at all in dozens of others.
View Quote

"You just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems."
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:17:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By ICU:

"You just watch yourself. We're wanted men. I have the death sentence on twelve systems."
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ICU:
Originally Posted By Xyster7212:

Good point. I meant data systems, like the empire's version of a LexisNexis database or NCIC or something. Whatever they would use to verify the identity of a prisoner arrested on Space Miami and link him to a warrant(?) issued by the central empire / ISB. Not star systems.
Just saying that sheer bureaucratic mass could explain why they didn't ID him.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:21:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Bohr_Adam] [#11]

No

Just poor writing like PARSEC which messed with the entire FTL storyline for the life of the SW universe.
View All Quotes

No

Fixed, and well, in Solo.

It was the ship's superior hyperspace navigation abilities, not just speed, that made it special. Before solo you also had the issue of why the hyperdrive was apparently nothing really different from every other ship with hyperdrive, yet Han made such a big deal about its speed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 7:24:10 PM EDT
[#12]

View All Quotes
They are CACs or a SIPR Token depending on what system they are on.

R2 had the Death Star plans, safe to say he had all sorts of access and back doors to all sorts of things.    Not to mention his history with the a Royal House of Alderaan, Naboo, Republic, Jedi Temple, never having his memory whiped and exceeding his programming becoming more sentient than most other droids.  

So yeah, R2 was a Galaxy-class hacker.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:01:21 PM EDT
[#13]

I like how they've managed to keep computer graphics and such feel "real" despite this. Star Trek shows suffer a lot more from this problem.
View All Quotes

I think Star Wars benefits from the narrative separation of being a different time, place and specifically not Earth based. More creative freedom in that sense.

Whereas Star Trek was an idealized extension of the then current trajectory of humanity. Star Trek seems to be more of a projection, which constrains it in some areas.

Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 8:32:51 PM EDT
[#15]

It was the ship's superior hyperspace navigation abilities, not just speed, that made it special. Before solo you also had the issue of why the hyperdrive was apparently nothing really different from every other ship with hyperdrive, yet Han made such a big deal about its speed.
View Quote

It wasn’t fixed. They just twisted a story to “fix” it into a movie arc.

He blew it in the script for the first movie. He knew very little technical information on astronomy and winged it.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:03:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Finally got to watch the last episode, and had a few things that bugs me:

Nothing on the prison break aftermath.  Maybe Cassian bumping into folks from the prison and having a chat about what happened next season.  But we would not get the "what happened to the coward guards" payoff.

How did Syril "rescue" Dedra?  She had 4-6 people dragging her off, but somehow Syril just picks her up off the ground and the others let go?  Just because he had a blaster?  I figure the crowd would drag him off too as an imp in plain clothes.

Syril and "Scotty" trading hats.  I don't think it fits Syril's character very well, a cheap chuckle move.

I feel like they could've had a 1-2 more episodes between the prison break and the season finale.  I'm used to seasons lasting 20+ episodes.  A lot of the hate for Andor think this show is slow, etc.  I think they are just not used the kind of world and character building that we saw in sci-fi/fantasy shows before streaming.  Story arcs that spans seasons/years.  X-Files was 9 seasons before they did 2 more in 2016-18.  I feel like Andor was going for something similar, but with no self contained episodes that network shows had to do for syndication friendliness.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By movingalong:

Nothing on the prison break aftermath.  Maybe Cassian bumping into folks from the prison and having a chat about what happened next season.  But we would not get the "what happened to the coward guards" payoff.

How did Syril "rescue" Dedra?  She had 4-6 people dragging her off, but somehow Syril just picks her up off the ground and the others let go?  Just because he had a blaster?  I figure the crowd would drag him off too as an imp in plain clothes.

Syril and "Scotty" trading hats.  I don't think it fits Syril's character very well, a cheap chuckle move.

I feel like they could've had a 1-2 more episodes between the prison break and the season finale. I'm used to seasons lasting 20+ episodes.  A lot of the hate for Andor think this show is slow, etc.  I think they are just not used the kind of world and character building that we saw in sci-fi/fantasy shows before streaming.  Story arcs that spans seasons/years.  X-Files was 9 seasons before they did 2 more in 2016-18.  I feel like Andor was going for something similar, but with no self contained episodes that network shows had to do for syndication friendliness.
View Quote
non-network series haven't done 20+ episode seasons pretty much ever. I'm sure you know that 8-12 episodes has been the norm for the last 15 years
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:26:40 PM EDT
[#18]

I feel like they could've had a 1-2 more episodes between the prison break and the season finale.  I'm used to seasons lasting 20+ episodes.  A lot of the hate for Andor think this show is slow, etc.  I think they are just not used the kind of world and character building that we saw in sci-fi/fantasy shows before streaming.  Story arcs that spans seasons/years.  X-Files was 9 seasons before they did 2 more in 2016-18.  I feel like Andor was going for something similar, but with no self contained episodes that network shows had to do for syndication friendliness.
View Quote

The hat trading scene was awesome, and the rest of my opinions are also very different from yours.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:27:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

They traded hats so they'd be able to keep track of one another under stress, while dressed as locals. Nothing more recognizable than your own hat.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote
Might be some prison flashbacks in season 2
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:43:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By The_Gooch:
That hard case on his shoulder is a HK G3 cleaning kit painted black.
View All Quotes

Well I’ll be damned!
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:40:00 PM EDT
[#23]
I feel like they could've had a 1-2 more episodes between the prison break and the season finale. I'm used to seasons lasting 20+ episodes. A lot of the hate for Andor think this show is slow, etc.  I think they are just not used the kind of world and character building that we saw in sci-fi/fantasy shows before streaming.  Story arcs that spans seasons/years.  X-Files was 9 seasons before they did 2 more in 2016-18.  I feel like Andor was going for something similar, but with no self contained episodes that network shows had to do for syndication friendliness.
View Quote

Yeah, I wish we still got those long seasons too. The writers strike of 2007 changed that. Remember how LOST and Battlestar Galactica both fell apart mid-way through the series? That was due to the writers strike. The way networks played catch-up was to start the mid-season break. So you get a 10+ episodes then a 6-8 week break then another 10 episodes or so. Then over time you had summer seasons (a time when network shows were usually in reruns).

Streaming takes that even further - not constrained by network broadcasting schedules, they can do whatever they want, but are still influenced by the fallout from the '07 strike.

Imagine Andor at 26 episodes. Would be amazing.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 5:58:29 PM EDT
[#24]
View Quote

If you look back, Syril had altered his Corpsec uniforms to fit better, his personal clothes too. The hat was fitted to him better  vs. 'Scotty' hat
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By shane01:

If you look back, Syril had altered his Corpsec uniforms to fit better, his personal clothes too. The hat was fitted to him better  vs. 'Scotty' hat
View All Quotes

It was done to recognize each other in a crowd should they get separated. You would recognize your own hat..
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:39:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By stoner01:

It was done to recognize each other in a crowd should they get separated. You would recognize your own hat..
View All Quotes

The fact it was unspoken made it so much more powerful.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 6:58:03 PM EDT
[#27]

View Quote

This.  Look at the way that he was captured, sentenced, and processed.  There was no concern with justice.  They were simply railroading people into slave labor; they didn't care who they were.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 8:46:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By K2QB3:

They traded hats so they'd be able to keep track of one another under stress, while dressed as locals. Nothing more recognizable than your own hat.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By K2QB3:

Thanks, that makes sense.  Glad they put in stuff like that.

Might be some prison flashbacks in season 2

I hope so.  Maybe through an ISB review/investigation of the prison break.  Or another prison arc at the prison the guards and some recaptured escapees get sent to :)

Yeah, I wish we still got those long seasons too. The writers strike of 2007 changed that. Remember how LOST and Battlestar Galactica both fell apart mid-way through the series? That was due to the writers strike. The way networks played catch-up was to start the mid-season break. So you get a 10+ episodes then a 6-8 week break then another 10 episodes or so. Then over time you had summer seasons (a time when network shows were usually in reruns).

Streaming takes that even further - not constrained by network broadcasting schedules, they can do whatever they want, but are still influenced by the fallout from the '07 strike.

I am aware of the streamers doing shorter "seasons" of series.  In addition to your points, streamers' goal is to get and retain subs, while network shows are aimed at advertisers in hopes of getting a contract for the whole season, and hopefully syndication revenue for many years ala Seinfeld, Star Trek, etc.
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 9:05:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Thanks for the info about the code cylinders
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 12:26:12 AM EDT
[#30]
@movingalong - don't forget, add on streaming services are coming, unless you pay for a premium membership.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 5:02:34 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

26-episode shows typically have filler episodes that do nothing to advance the story arcs. I’m ok with 10-13 really good episodes.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 6:37:59 AM EDT
[#32]

View Quote

The new norm for several years now it seems is shorter seasons. If it wasn't for this thread I would have stopped at episode 10, figured it was the finale.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By Furloaf:

Leaning this way because they didn't make the characteristic lightsaber sound.
View Quote

There is no sound in space dude.

Link Posted: 11/29/2022 5:55:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Not sure if it has been mentioned already,  but Mon Milfma also played the mom/wife in Tin Star.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:49:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:01:52 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:36:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: stampkolektor] [#37]
i like the fact that the show also has invested character dev on the other side as well, syrill (his mom and call center job) and how loyal scotty was to him. they had their own struggles as well, made the show much much fuller and deeper
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:48:37 AM EDT
[#38]
Andor - The Best Show At The Worst Time

Drinker finally gets to watch the series...
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:48:04 PM EDT
[#39]
For those curious, this latest episode has a mid credits scene that proves several of your right (about the prison parts) but in the wrong way..

But damn.. what an episode and series..
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#40]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhEsoSAhvY
Drinker finally gets to watch the series...
View Quote

I love that guy.  No homo, but I'd love to have a drink and watch a movie with him.  I'd even buy him dinner.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:20:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 2:48:00 PM EDT
[#42]

There's been a few youtubers who caught that, you can definitely see it when you look at her mouth, the "t" sound requires a very distinctive tongue to upper mouth movement. The consonant she used came from the back of the throat.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:10:31 PM EDT
[#43]
The show was decent for the most part.  Slow AF a lot of the time though...
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#44]
I was finally able to get some time to chill and was able to sit down this morning, so I finished up the last 2 episodes of the season. I really enjoyed the whole thing. Like most others in the thread I believe Andor is one of the better Star Wars shows to come out. I am super stoked for the next season of course.

One thing I really enjoyed about this show was the intelligence agency side of things with the empire search for the rebels and the building of the character Dedra Meero. The meetings and the building of the case and Information. I thought her fight to gain respect within her own agency seemed real to life and was a cool addition. It's much better than boom they just know or some one saying "Our sources told us this was going to happen", which is an easy way out that is often used.

I liked the the new droid in the show. B2EMO is sad little worn down pathetic but loyal and cool droid. He reminds me of a that dog whos owner has passed but wont leave the door because they are waiting for that owner to come home.
Someone I think said it a few pages back, perhaps B2 memories will be implanted in K2so. That would be kind of cool for continuity.

Luthan's ship is totally cool. Of course Skargard is a great actor as are his kids, i am really glad he is in Andor. Haha I love how he just demolished the tractor beam dish, takes out the Tie Fighters and hyperdrives the fuck out of there. Hell to the yeah!

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:42:26 PM EDT
[#45]

View All Quotes

No

Long before Solo it was explained.

Han Solo flew smuggling runs into and out of The Maw. An area of space littered with blackholes. He did the Kessel run in under twelve parsecs because he was that talented of a pilot and flew a course that less skilled pilots would died doing. This was explained in the original EU.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

Han Solo flew smuggling runs into and out of The Maw. An area of space littered with blackholes. He did the Kessel run in under twelve parsecs because he was that talented of a pilot and flew a course that less skilled pilots would died doing. This was explained in the original EU.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Miami_JBT:

No

Then they should get even more credit for taking an EU thing and making it canon like they did.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 9:50:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Andor - The Best Show At The Worst Time
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:07:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Coffin-Nail:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhEsoSAhvY
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:12:02 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 10:22:35 AM EDT
[#50]

Then they should get even more credit for taking an EU thing and making it canon like they did.
View Quote
That's about the only good thing they did in Solo. Everything else was a crap shoot.
Page / 178
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top