[#1]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:16:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Medicalmandan delete
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:19:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
So I've been giving this some thought. Has anyone ever chopped their sight tower off of the block but kept the bayonet lug on it, and also chopped just enough of the bottom front of a free float to effectively mount the bayonet?
View Quote

I actually took one of the $35 keymod rails Geissele had on sale a while back and did just that for a 16" carry handle upper. I dont have the picture it looks like but I cut the top of the handguard to clear the FSP, and removed portions on the bottom to clear the bayo lug and sling swivel. I think it came out pretty clean until I added holes to get at the FSP pins. Next time I am around the rifle I did it for I'll grab some photos.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/AD4A95DE-3179-427B-8E80-58FF44ACD7F3-1948862.jpg

this is a bushmaster shaved FSB with the swivel ears cut off and drilled and tapped for set-screw attachment.  I also had to shave the back flange of the block to get the contour to fit inside the ALG handguard.  I would prefer pinned rather than set screwed, but assembly would be problematic.  I think it will hold with loktited set screws
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
So I've been giving this some thought. Has anyone ever chopped their sight tower off of the block but kept the bayonet lug on it, and also chopped just enough of the bottom front of a free float to effectively mount the bayonet?
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/5205/AD4A95DE-3179-427B-8E80-58FF44ACD7F3-1948862.jpg

this is a bushmaster shaved FSB with the swivel ears cut off and drilled and tapped for set-screw attachment.  I also had to shave the back flange of the block to get the contour to fit inside the ALG handguard.  I would prefer pinned rather than set screwed, but assembly would be problematic.  I think it will hold with loktited set screws
Is that a 14.5 mid barrel with a pinned 1.5? Spike's lightweight or a Delton mid pinned and welded 14.5?

I was thinking of using a LaRue LAT in  13" and have some of it overhang with the bottom cutout from the lug forward, so I can still have some real estate for active aiming with a laser and a scout. But then I started thinking of the barrel and having just enough to where I can still shoot from a barricade without having to worry about barrel bounce. I also thought about whip with a pencil and how counterintuitive it could be to preventing barrel bounce. A tapered barrel like from Criterion's Core or some other could actually be better for what I am still thinking of.

Thoughts? Nice build buy the way.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:24:50 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I actually took one of the $35 keymod rails Geissele had on sale a while back and did just that for a 16" carry handle upper. I dont have the picture it looks like but I cut the top of the handguard to clear the FSP, and removed portions on the bottom to clear the bayo lug and sling swivel. I think it came out pretty clean until I added holes to get at the FSP pins. Next time I am around the rifle I did it for I'll grab some photos.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you, pics would be awesome!
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#6]

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:41:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Medicalmandan delete

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:45:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:01:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Medicalmandan delete
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:02:08 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If you're gonna raise the black flag and slash some throats, what could be better than a pistol with a bayo?
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:03:22 AM EDT
[#12]
Medicalmandan delete
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Forward controls design free float rail. Midlength 16" barrel with shaved FSB courtesy of ADCO.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/72384/20210519_214420-1948908.jpg
View Quote

That definitely looks a lot nicer. This was for a 16" carbine gas with A2 upper and FSP. This one would have the floating bayonet issue if it was mounted due to carbine gas, but now at least has a free floating rail and attachment points. This was for another person though. I don't currently have any that use a FSP due to cutting them all down or using low profile gas block with free floating rails.

I do have an M7 that is lonely, so I need to just pony up and get the G adapter.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:07:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Psychological advantage ...

Being shot scares people ... The thought of beiing run thru with cold steel terrifies the fuck out of some one.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:07:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Do you guys with the Geisselle adapters think they put too much stress on the handguards?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:09:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Medicalmandan delete
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:10:23 AM EDT
[#17]
Medicalmandan delete
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:12:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Wouldn't that foul your barrel?  Or is that what the cross-drilled holes are for, to provide gas release in just that case?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm so glad that I'm not the only one coming up with a modern day solution.

@duffy

Think we can convince you to make a few calls and have CMT make a special run for you, group buy maybe for bayonet cutout RHF's??

<< asking for me and maybe some others n this very thread
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:07:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
take that space you would carry said bayonet and add 1 extra magazine.  That 30rds will make far more difference than a bayonet.

Unless you want to play SOF dress up with your rifle, then yes indeed, add a bayonet you are guaranteed to never use in your lifetime.
View Quote

And if your gun has a malfunction and needs to be taken apart to identify the problem and fix it?

Extra mag is worthless.

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:08:45 AM EDT
[#21]
Asked years ago and they wouldn’t do it
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:15:15 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Asked years ago and they wouldn’t do it
View Quote
Dang it

I just ordered the pins and the block to be chopped from BCM. This is going to happen.

I'd like to talk with you about it in the duck sauce area along with some of the industry folk in there as well and see who's up for the task, maybe next week after the parts arrve
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:31:55 AM EDT
[#23]
I hate all the horrible looking adapters to make one fit a 16” carbine barrel.  One of these days I am going to cut an M7 mid-handle and weld in an extension, and make it work.  Hard part is making new scales.  In the meantime I have to use a 14.5” SBR or a 14.5” with a pin/weld extended flashhider.  

there has to be a market for a good, simple, normal looking bayonet on a regular 16”.  It is the most common configuration found for carbine barrels, whether or not it is “ideal” is a different matter.  Why build ugly adapters when an extended handle bayonet is the correct answer?  I understand Colt once made a limited run of them, but I don’t have one...
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 1:37:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I hate all the horrible looking adapters to make one fit a 16” carbine barrel.  One of these days I am going to cut an M7 mid-handle and weld in an extension, and make it work.  Hard part is making new scales.  In the meantime I have to use a 14.5” SBR or a 14.5” with a pin/weld extended flashhider.  

there has to be a market for a good, simple, normal looking bayonet on a regular 16”.  It is the most common configuration found for carbine barrels, whether or not it is “ideal” is a different matter.  Why build ugly adapters when an extended handle bayonet is the correct answer?  I understand Colt once made a limited run of them, but I don’t have one...
View Quote

Just stick it on. It works fine.

If it makes you feel better, have a machinist make you a collar with a set screw to take the slop back down to A2 birdcage levels.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:20:50 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I hate all the horrible looking adapters to make one fit a 16" carbine barrel.  One of these days I am going to cut an M7 mid-handle and weld in an extension, and make it work.  Hard part is making new scales.  In the meantime I have to use a 14.5" SBR or a 14.5" with a pin/weld extended flashhider.  

there has to be a market for a good, simple, normal looking bayonet on a regular 16".  It is the most common configuration found for carbine barrels, whether or not it is "ideal" is a different matter.  Why build ugly adapters when an extended handle bayonet is the correct answer?  I understand Colt once made a limited run of them, but I don't have one...
View Quote
Link
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:36:52 AM EDT
[#26]
Medicalmandan delete
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 5:52:47 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:13:13 AM EDT
[#28]
There's some value of having a bayonet.  I wouldn't want to get in a firefight with one fixed, but if you were holding a few perps for the cops, there's some serious psychological value beyond a barrel being pointed at you...it's the tangible effect of seeing exactly what is going to go in your body if you don't comply.  

I've had discussions with Gurkhas regarding their khukuries and the psychological fear (and their reputation) it has on the enemy.  I've worked with Afghan forces where an AK or M4 is "meh", but they respect blades.

And of course, the most reasonable use of a bayonet is to conserve ammo when the zombies are down but not out...coup de grâce with a blade is simply cheaper

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:34:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Do you guys with the Geisselle adapters think they put too much stress on the handguards?
View Quote

I talked with one of the guys that tested them at Cola. As long as you're using a quality rail it should be fine. They climbed trees with it and stabbed cars with it after prying stuff. Apparently it was a pretty fun job. You just got to completely abuse a rifle with a bayonet attached.

They released a few videos of the testing but it's either on IG or FB I forget which.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:53:30 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I talked with one of the guys that tested them at Cola. As long as you're using a quality rail it should be fine. They climbed trees with it and stabbed cars with it after prying stuff. Apparently it was a pretty fun job. You just got to completely abuse a rifle with a bayonet attached.

They released a few videos of the testing but it's either on IG or FB I forget which.
View Quote

FB had a 20 second clip of them stabbing a car.  Kind of impressive watching it punch through the sheet metal. Like down to the muzzle device without a care in the world. I didn't want to link a FB video, but it's easy enough to find.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:29:40 PM EDT
[#31]
There are ways to make adapters, it'd cost more than the bayonet if we made them.  Other than swag which is meant to be fun and games, we don't make gag products, bad optics.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 2:59:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

WTF is that!!!!
View Quote

Those are Norwegian conversions, IIRC.

The Turks also converted Mauser bayonets to fit the Garand.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 4:45:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Any good kydex sheaths out there for the M7?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:20:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Any good kydex sheaths out there for the M7?
View Quote

If you find someone, please let us know.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:24:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
There are ways to make adapters, it'd cost more than the bayonet if we made them.  Other than swag which is meant to be fun and games, we don't make gag products, bad optics.
View Quote

Make one please and let us bid on it
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#36]
I found a shop local to do the work. They can cut and shape the lug part of the block, have the jig already to drill the barrel for the tapered pin, will be mounted ahead of the already pinned SLR gas block, have the mill to chop a small portion of the bottom front of the RHF tube and will refinish for under $200. Totally worth it to me and will be dropping it off sometime next week after the parts from BCM arrive.

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:44:44 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Aside from the handle I like, what makes it good?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

To call the OKC3S a really nice Ka-Bar style knife is a disservice to the OKC3S.  We put a lot of effort as a service into making sure our newest bayonet was state of the art. It is fantastic as a military weapon.

Quoted:

Agreed- I'm not trying to sell it short, believe me! If one can only pick one AR bayonet, get the OKC3S, hands down.

Aside from the handle I like, what makes it good?

The Marine bayonet has solid tang construction. Not sure if I said that right or not, but it means that the blade and the part underneath the grip are a single piece of steel, like the old Marine Corps/Navy KaBar knives. OTOH, the Army bayonet is not, and is not as strong.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:52:23 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

The Marine bayonet has solid tang construction. Not sure if I said that right or not, but it means that the blade and the part underneath the grip are a single piece of steel, like the old Marine Corps/Navy KaBar knives. OTOH, the Army bayonet is not, and is not as strong.
View Quote

http://www.usmilitaryknives.com/Images_7/DSC02691.JPG

This is not a full tang? Or were you referring to the M9 and not the M7?
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#39]
M7 and OKC-3S. I got rid of the FDE furniture on the one rifle with a lug, so the M7 may be the only one I keep.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:05:50 PM EDT
[#40]
S&W (Chinese) M7 with M8 style sheath $29.95

I can't say whether junk or not, was in their latest mailer.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:06:43 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is not a full tang? Or were you referring to the M9 and not the M7?
View Quote

OKC3S is full tang...

...where the M9 is not.

Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:10:16 PM EDT
[#42]

Well it's a good thing that I already have the M7 then, which is a full tang.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 7:50:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:51:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 8:53:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Just checked Amazon, the Ontario M9 is $150?!?!

Glad I bought one a decade ago at half the price.
View Quote

If you're going to spend $150 on a bayonet, might as well buy an OKC3S.

If you're not going to spend $150 on a bayonet, buy an M7.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:14:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

It's so short though. For just a little bit of cabbage you could have a few more inches...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well it's a good thing that I already have the M7 then, which is a full tang.

It's so short though. For just a little bit of cabbage you could have a few more inches...
Do they make one without the USMC markings on it? I don't want to be accused of stolen valor because I never served but do respect the mil and those who've earned the right to be called a Marine. I never earned it and would feel weird.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:19:24 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Just checked Amazon, the Ontario M9 is $150?!?!

Glad I bought one a decade ago at half the price.
View Quote

Do you have an OKC3S?  I'll gladly swap ya.
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:33:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/20/2021 9:58:41 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's a fucking weapon broski. If they make fun of you, bayonet them with it.
View Quote

Kind of hard to argue against that logic
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top