BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:56:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DM1975:
To me it makes sense that the wood used causes the strings to vibrate differently, thus making a difference in tone. I believe Seymour Duncan did a video on this as well showing how the wood used in their testing changed the tone.
View Quote

I recall reading an article back when Eddie Van Halen was playing  Steinberger with a Trans Trem.  At the time Steinberger was making bodies from a proprietary graphite/ carbon fiber mix.  He said the tone response was excellent because the material was consistent all the way through.  Some wood bodies, regardless the wood type, would have dead spots which would attenuate resonant frequencies.

I recall seeing an article in Guitar Player about Fender making a '57 Stratocaster out of a Lucite slab for salesmen to take on sales trips and conventions.  Volkswagen had an ad featuring an X-ray of a Beetle, and Fender followed suit with an ad featuring amps being X-rayed to show their internals.  The Lucite guitar was intended to show the customer what's under the skin of a Fender guitar.  They only produced one, because it took 4 years to build and it weighed 18 pounds!  I imagine the most labor was in polishing it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 6:42:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Moondog:

I recall reading an article back when Eddie Van Halen was playing  Steinberger with a Trans Trem.  At the time Steinberger was making bodies from a proprietary graphite/ carbon fiber mix.  He said the tone response was excellent because the material was consistent all the way through.  Some wood bodies, regardless the wood type, would have dead spots which would attenuate resonant frequencies.

I recall seeing an article in Guitar Player about Fender making a '57 Stratocaster out of a Lucite slab for salesmen to take on sales trips and conventions.  Volkswagen had an ad featuring an X-ray of a Beetle, and Fender followed suit with an ad featuring amps being X-rayed to show their internals.  The Lucite guitar was intended to show the customer what's under the skin of a Fender guitar.  They only produced one, because it took 4 years to build and it weighed 18 pounds!  I imagine the most labor was in polishing it.
View Quote

Guess Fender should have talked to BC Rich about that whole lucite thing. They made a butt load of em.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 1:09:25 AM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeS369] [#3]
Originally Posted By BTccw:
I’m an acoustic player but I have almost all my bases covered.

Gibson SG and Les Pauls are short scale-not for me.

Fender Strat vs G&L?  
Telecaster vs ASAT?

I gravitate country but have a long lost love for Rock.

School me.
View Quote

Everyone needs an electric. Short scale is wicked good. I don't know how long you have been playing but if you have some years behind you build your own. You will end up with a better playing and sounding guitar than all the CNC builders will give you at their premium prices.

But........................

What your really need is this.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:40:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Goostoff:
My vote goes to either an American Fender, or the PRS NF53
View Quote

Originally Posted By Bladeswitcher:

Telecaster. It is extremely versatile and can be used for any style of music. No pesky whammy bar to complicate set-up and introduce tuning instability.

But your next question is which amp. With an electric, the guitar is only part of the equation. The amp is also an instrument.
View Quote

Originally Posted By splitbolt:

I'd skip on the '97; unless it's a hardtail.
Swimming pool route...
View Quote

PLAY THE GUITAR YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT.  Not just one “like” it—-THE Guitar.

We had a delightful experience with a guitar broker yesterday. This guy specializes in vintage stuff. He was ready with some amazing gear, amps (a fender twin reverb) and pedals for us and we had a blast going through some of his stuff-some of it VERY ESOTERIC. (An aluminum bodied guitar?) I went in believing with 99% certainty was going to walk out with a G&L ASAT……
I was wrong.

My wife was looking around and while I was playing something and asked him; “now that you’ve heard my husband play-what about this one?”  He smiled and took it out of the rack. “This is a very good choice-one of my favorites”.
It was nothing like what I went in looking for. In fact to Fender aficionados this was a shit choice…. But when I plugged in and begin to play….oh my!  Within the very first couple of notes this guitar had our attention. It had a feel that was very different—-a mass-a weight-a balance-a presence-that was really different from any other Strat I had ever picked up. The neck was perfect for me….maple over maple.  
And it was a hard tail.
What I had in my hands was a 79 all original collector owned sunburst Strat.
The case had the original fender strap, a couple packages of original strings, and some picks from the store where it was originally purchased 45 years ago.

Fender fanatics will say this may be one of the worst years to buy a strat but in reality it’s perfect for me. There actually is a flaw in the finish where someone touched it as it was being coated with too much clear poly. They will say that the quality isn’t what it was 15 years previous-and they might be right-but this guitar is a perfect time capsule of who we were as a nation. Jimmy Carter was President. Our country was depressed and feeling like crap about itself. I was a young Marine at Camp Pendleton during a time that Marine historians regard as one of the lowest points of morale in Marine Corps history. This guitar may reflect all of that.
Nevertheless-THIS particular guitar feels and sounds great-even with its flaws.

I’m going to learn how to play it and I’m blessed to have a wife who gets it and me at this point in life.

Pics coming.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 12:53:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:01:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Very nice!!! I love my 75. I know why people don’t like the CBS era Fenders but I have two and they’re both absolutely amazing guitars.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:52:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Great looking strat and certainly a piece of history. Is that a 7.5 inch radius neck? 7.5 is my favorite.

Mine is only 24 years old. 9.5 in radius neck. Wish it was 7.5

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 2:54:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DM1975] [#9]
Oops I misread lol.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:01:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Mach:
Great looking strat and certainly a piece of history. Is that a 7.5 inch radius neck? 7.5 is my favorite.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/98989/IMG_0377_jpeg-3205367.JPG
View Quote

I’ll measure it tonight when I get a couple minutes. I brought my neck gages to do that and just played it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:12:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice Strat.  I have become accustomed to see the pre-CBS headstocks.  The larger headstocks have their own appeal.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:11:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Very nice!!! I love my 75. I know why people don’t like the CBS era Fenders but I have two and they’re both absolutely amazing guitars.
View Quote

75’s didn’t have the 5 position switch did they?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:12:38 PM EDT
[#13]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

No, 3 position. I think 76 was the change to 5 position.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Mine was a one owner. Came with a bunch of original case candy and minty too like yours. All original.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:38:24 PM EDT
[#15]

I don't think so.

Pickups only pick up moving metal in the magnetic field.
Solid wood does not vibrate much, especially  from the sound of un-amplified metal strings, sure you can feel it the vibrations in the wood against your body.

But for the pickups to pickup the vibrations in the wood and color the vibrations of the string, those vibrations in the wood would have to travel through the steel connected to the saddles which for a fixed bridge electric like a LP or SG would be through the posts that hold the saddle into the wood and then through the single tiny contact point where the saddle holds the string. There just is not much contact surface. So while it may be possible to get some coloration from the wood onto the string to be picked up by the pickup, it would be extremely small if any and I just don't think you can hear that if it is there at all. The pickups certainly affect the tone.

For a strat with a tremelo, maybe more vibrations of the wood  travel through the tremelo springs into the bridge and then through the same tiny point of contact with the string, but I doubt it.

The only other contact point which is much bigger would be the fret when a string is fretted and the vibration of the wood and neck would have to travel back to the string via the fret, that might allow more vibration back into the string.

the problem is that all these things are true with an acoustic and I think people mistakenly think it transfers to electrics and I just don't see it.

I could certainly be wrong and the only real way to tell would be to string a string from a nut to a saddle across an air gap and compare that to the same string in tune on a wood guitar  recording both signals using the exact same pickup. See if you can hear a difference and use an oscilloscope and see if the wood guitar recording has any added vibrations super imposed on the pure vibration from the string.

But i don't have an oscilloscope and it would be very time consuming.

ETA:

WHOOSA!.

Look what I found. This guy compares air gapped strings to a tele.

Listen with good headphones or speakers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n02tImce3AE
View Quote

I cant explain that video, there's a few thing that point to it being bullshit.  Most importantly personal experience.  I have two B.C. Rich Mockingbirds with Gibson Classic '57's in them, One is acrylic, one has a mahogany body, they sound totally different.  If guitar manufacturers could make their guitars out of balsa wood, they would.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:17:36 PM EDT
[#16]
View Quote

They are going for a little more now…
Add a zero.

Are guitars a good investment?  Maybe not these ones but some are.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#17]

Add a zero.

View All Quotes

Add a zero.

Yes they can be and these are an investment. They are still “reasonably” affordable and becoming more collectible every year.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:40:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
B-benders are a super niche thing and really a detriment outside of a highly specific style of music and playing.  Like a floating tremolo, I think it is a terrible thing to suggest for a first electric guitar.
View Quote

Acoustic B-bender Pt 2 ~ "Kashmir"
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Add a zero.

View All Quotes

Add a zero.

Also that’s the original receipt from the 70’s. I wish I had only paid $300 lol.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:11:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SixSquared] [#20]

PLAY THE GUITAR YOU ARE THINKING ABOUT.  Not just one “like” it—-THE Guitar.

We had a delightful experience with a guitar broker yesterday. This guy specializes in vintage stuff. He was ready with some amazing gear, amps (a fender twin reverb) and pedals for us and we had a blast going through some of his stuff-some of it VERY ESOTERIC. (An aluminum bodied guitar?) I went in believing with 99% certainty was going to walk out with a G&L ASAT……
I was wrong.

My wife was looking around and while I was playing something and asked him; “now that you’ve heard my husband play-what about this one?”  He smiled and took it out of the rack. “This is a very good choice-one of my favorites”.
It was nothing like what I went in looking for. In fact to Fender aficionados this was a shit choice…. But when I plugged in and begin to play….oh my!  Within the very first couple of notes this guitar had our attention. It had a feel that was very different—-a mass-a weight-a balance-a presence-that was really different from any other Strat I had ever picked up. The neck was perfect for me….maple over maple.  
And it was a hard tail.
What I had in my hands was a 79 all original collector owned sunburst Strat.
The case had the original fender strap, a couple packages of original strings, and some picks from the store where it was originally purchased 45 years ago.

Fender fanatics will say this may be one of the worst years to buy a strat but in reality it’s perfect for me. There actually is a flaw in the finish where someone touched it as it was being coated with too much clear poly. They will say that the quality isn’t what it was 15 years previous-and they might be right-but this guitar is a perfect time capsule of who we were as a nation. Jimmy Carter was President. Our country was depressed and feeling like crap about itself. I was a young Marine at Camp Pendleton during a time that Marine historians regard as one of the lowest points of morale in Marine Corps history. This guitar may reflect all of that.
Nevertheless-THIS particular guitar feels and sounds great-even with its flaws.

I’m going to learn how to play it and I’m blessed to have a wife who gets it and me at this point in life.

Pics coming.

View Quote

Very nice, I lucked into a '73 handtail Strat with a 4 bolt conversion about 16 years ago for $275 from a pawn shop.

Besides the 4 bolt conversion, some black paint in the pickup cavities, 5 way switch, and added aluminum foil on the pickguard it is original, Olympic White finish and all. 7lbs 2.3oz.

Sorry for the terrible picture and mess, I am finishing some surround sound wiring so there are wires and cable management shit everywhere. 😐
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:14:24 AM EDT
[#21]

Add a zero.

View Quote

In my experience a vintage Fender is always a good investment.

70's Fenders are getting their love too.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:17:41 AM EDT
[#22]

View Quote

Love it, the original American Series were great Strats.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:18:24 AM EDT
[#23]
View Quote

Damn, that is sweet.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:57:39 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyLoco] [#24]
Telecaster is a great guitar but I like the strat more. Telecaster really shines for doing steel guitar bends and chicken pickin, nothing else really sounds like it. I like blues, though, and Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Beck etc. style rock and nothing does that better than a strat imo, plus it has the best tremolo design ever invented for cool sounds. Tele can play blues too though, I find it a little stiffer and limited, but some of my favorite blues players played them,  Muddy Waters, Roy Buchanan, Albert Collins, and Tab Benoit. Roy and Tab use the volume and tone controls on the tele as cool effects, like a wah sound, and they just plug straight in the amps, no pedals necessary. If you like BB King, Albert King, etc. style blues and Billy Gibbons, Jimmy Page, etc. stuff and southern rock, get a Gibson es-335, les paul, sg, flying v etc.

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:11:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By Goostoff:

My first one was Korean made SE Standard 24, The one I have right now is a Korean made SE Mark Holcomb 6 string. The newer ones are Indonesian, but dont let the factory fool you. The PRS Se line is head, and shoulders above many of the big named american guitars. Dollar for dollar the PRS SE guitars are the best value on the planet right now. They are shipped right to the PRS American factory where every single one is unboxed and hand inspected just like the American core models made right here.

The SE Hollow Body II Piezo that was in the video I shared is going to be my next one. I just need to replenish my toy fund. If you didnt watch that video I encourage you to do so. I dont think there is a tone that thing cant make.
View Quote
When I was guitar shopping 1-2 years ago, the PRS SE hollow body models were all made in China.  Every other SE model was from Cort, in Indonesia.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JohnnyLoco:
Telecaster is a great guitar but I like the strat more. Telecaster really shines for doing steel guitar bends and chicken pickin, nothing else really sounds like it. I like blues, though, and Hendrix, Clapton, SRV, Beck etc. style rock and nothing does that better than a strat imo, plus it has the best tremolo design ever invented for cool sounds. Tele can play blues too though, I find it a little stiffer and limited, but some of my favorite blues players played them,  Muddy Waters, Roy Buchanan, Albert Collins, and Tab Benoit. Roy and Tab use the volume and tone controls on the tele as cool effects, like a wah sound, and they just plug straight in the amps, no pedals necessary. If you like BB King, Albert King, etc. style blues and Billy Gibbons, Jimmy Page, etc. stuff and southern rock, get a Gibson es-335, les paul, sg, flying v etc.

View Quote

The other day i was watching partscaster builds on Youtube, and saw someone making a "Nashville" Tele.  They routed out the body to accept a third pickup in the middle position and switched the selector switch to a 5 position Strat type.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 12:42:17 PM EDT
[#27]

The other day i was watching partscaster builds on Youtube, and saw someone making a "Nashville" Tele.  They routed out the body to accept a third pickup in the middle position and switched the selector switch to a 5 position Strat type.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JohnnyLoco:

I think the telecaster is one of the best all around electrics you can get. Very versatile and they play great.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:12:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BTccw] [#28]

I’ll measure it tonight when I get a couple minutes. I brought my neck gages to do that and just played it.
View All Quotes

Neck radius is 7.25 which surprises me even more-Humm?
You’ve got a pretty good eye for neck radius based solely on a pic!  

Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:42:32 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

Be careful using the tremolo... I've never had good luck with the two pivot screw bridges on alder bodies.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 5:54:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#30]

Be careful using the tremolo... I've never had good luck with the two pivot screw bridges on alder bodies.
View All Quotes

I never use the tremelo. I don't even have a tremelo bar.

In fact I have it very tight. I might have even blocked it, I can't remember. I have 3 other strats ( inexepensive ones) and I know I have some of them blocked.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:07:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BTccw] [#31]
Earlier in this thread someone suggested new guys buying electric guitars avoid buying guitars with a tremolo because….issues.

I thought that was good advice and bought a hard tail.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:24:56 AM EDT
[#32]
Earlier in this thread someone suggested new guys buying electric guitars avoid buying guitars with a tremolo because….issues.

I thought that was good advice and bought a hard tail.

View Quote

I want to eventually get a hard tail but all three of my Strats have tremolos. I think Fender makes one of the best trem systems out there. I couldn't tell you what wood my Strats are but I have both the 5 screw and 2 bolt versions and have never had an issue but I don’t heavily play them either. I just deck the trem out and it works and tunes perfectly fine.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Tele's are great, and don't get nearly the respect they deserve IMHO.  Kinda surprised to see so much love for them here.

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 12:25:58 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By midmo:
Tele's are great, and don't get nearly the respect they deserve IMHO.  Kinda surprised to see so much love for them here.

View Quote

Hell it’s the first electric guitar type I ever seen! I absolutely love Telecasters and have three of them. Here’s my 1975 Custom. It’s as heavy as my non weight relieved Les Paul’s.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:57:15 PM EDT
[#35]

I want to eventually get a hard tail but all three of my Strats have tremolos. I think Fender makes one of the best trem systems out there. I couldn't tell you what wood my Strats are but I have both the 5 screw and 2 bolt versions and have never had an issue but I don’t heavily play them either. I just deck the trem out and it works and tunes perfectly fine.
View Quote

My '93 American Standard; bought new.
Mine was decked, no tremolo use and strung with 11s.
I'm not saying this is the norm; but far from a unique occurence.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:55:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#36]

View All Quotes

I am not as much of a wizard as you may think.
During that time period, most strats made by Fender had a 7.5 in neck radius. Apparently not all but most, I have read some of the custom ordered guitars had a different neck radius.

But I do have the 2000 American Standard with 9.5, an inexpensive  Strat made by Hohner ( Rockwood LX90 )  with 7.5, and 2 x Starcaster Strats made by Fender with 12.

The neck radius can be seen just by looking at it, although it is subtle between the 9.5 and the 7.5, the 12s stand out as very flat looking.

I much prefer the 7.5 neck. Someday maybe I can find a really nice 7.5 for not a bunch of money. I like the 7.5 so much I spent over 20 hours rounding the fretboard edges and frets ends of the Rockwood LX90 by Hohner inexpensive start and replacing the electronics with a populated pickguard from a Fender Squire Affinity that I picked up from a local musician that swapped it out with a much better pickup suite.

I play that guitar a lot because it sits in the media room on a stage stand and I just grap it to play bcause it doesn't have a case and is joy to play. Crazy since I have a grand total of $65 in it and about 12 days of sweat.

The 9.5 is still good to play, but the 12s I really do not like. It is harder for me to move up and down the fret board for some reason.

I really would like to get a 7.5 Vintage strat. I keep looking for one I can refurbish and bring back to life, since I enjoy working on electric guitars, but most people tend to take care of their vintage strats for some weird reason and want real money for them

The Fender® American Vintage II series have 7.25 inch radius necks, so maybe I will get on of those. Also been thinking of making a solid oiled walnut or mahogany strat with a 7.25 neck and putting a label on it that says MachCaster
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 1:30:19 PM EDT
[#37]
During that time period, most strats made by Fender had a 7.5 in neck radius.
View Quote

I thought the traditional radius was 7.25", not 7.5".

The typical list of "standard" fretboard radii normally consists of 7.25", 9.5", 10", 12", 14", 16", and 20".
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:47:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mach] [#38]
Originally Posted By Walkure:

I thought the traditional radius was 7.25", not 7.5".

The typical list of "standard" fretboard radii normally consists of 7.25", 9.5", 10", 12", 14", 16", and 20".
View Quote

yeah typo, sorry.

I got it correct on the last line of my post....7.5...7.25 whatever it takes.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 7:10:41 PM EDT
[#39]

yeah typo, sorry.

View Quote

"Like"...

JFC ARFCOM; just buy a template.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:21:21 PM EDT
[#40]

"Like"...

View All Quotes

yeah typo, sorry.

"Like"...

I’ve got a set of gages from Stew Mac.
They are handy.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:04:51 PM EDT
[#41]

They are handy.
View Quote

The understring ones? They're very handy for helping dialing in saddle height adjustment.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:14:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Homesteader375] [#42]
If country is your thing, what about a 335 type? Gibsons are nice but pricey. Gretsch makes some sweet hollow bodies. The Epiphones are really nice these days as well. No experience with the PRS holliws. Country isn't my thing but a couple of my friends flip between country, rockabilly, and a little bit of Foo and the 335 is the go to for its versatility.

ETA: I should have waited til I got to the second page and saw this turned into a Strat thread. Grats on the new guitar!
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Homesteader375:
If country is your thing, what about a 335 type? Gibsons are nice but pricey. Gretsch makes some sweet hollow bodies. The Epiphones are really nice these days as well. No experience with the PRS holliws. Country isn't my thing but a couple of my friends flip between country, rockabilly, and a little bit of Foo and the 335 is the go to for its versatility.

ETA: I should have waited til I got to the second page and saw this turned into a Strat thread. Grats on the new guitar!
View Quote

Thanks.
Guitars are like golf clubs, guns, and any other tool. The right tool for the right job. A hollow body electric is on the wish list with Dusenburg leading that group. (That means I’ll end up with a Gretch Country Gentleman).

I received an education on pedals and effects yesterday.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:13:51 AM EDT
[#44]

The understring ones? They're very handy for helping dialing in saddle height adjustment.
View All Quotes

They are handy.

Yes, those ones, although I have yet to use them as height gauges.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:30:27 AM EDT
[#45]
I’m an acoustic player but I have almost all my bases covered.

Gibson SG and Les Pauls are short scale-not for me.

Fender Strat vs G&L?  
Telecaster vs ASAT?

I gravitate country but have a long lost love for Rock.

School me.
View Quote

I've been playing electric guitars for 30+ years.  The one thing I can tell you for sure......is that you need to go by a few guitar stores, play on as many guitars as you can find, and see what you like.    When one hits you, and sounds and feels amazing, that's the one for you.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#46]

Thanks.
Guitars are like golf clubs, guns, and any other tool. The right tool for the right job. A hollow body electric is on the wish list with Dusenburg leading that group. (That means I’ll end up with a Gretch Country Gentleman).

I received an education on pedals and effects yesterday.

View Quote

i've never been into flashy guitars, but for some reason I like the looks of the Gretsch White Falcon.  It's like the Cadillac of semi-hollow bodies.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:01:14 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By Bhart89:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDrBRYHpm8Y
View Quote

I saw that.  Wild that someone put one on an acoustic!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:07:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Okay, so here is a simple way to actually test the affect(s) of "tone wood" on an electric guitar sound.

Build a robot that frets and strums guitar.

Record that robot playing a series of different guitars with identical pickups and circuits through the same amplifier, in the same room, under the same conditions.

Phase align and then null test the results.

That will prove without a doubt that different woods affect amplified guitar sound.

Personally I don't think we need to build a swimming pool to test if this particular boulder will float.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:35:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By RickFinsta:
Okay, so here is a simple way to actually test the affect(s) of "tone wood" on an electric guitar sound.

Build a robot that frets and strums guitar.

Record that robot playing a series of different guitars with identical pickups and circuits through the same amplifier, in the same room, under the same conditions.

Phase align and then null test the results.

That will prove without a doubt that different woods affect amplified guitar sound.

Personally I don't think we need to build a swimming pool to test if this particular boulder will float.
View Quote

If you think the wood is so important that you can actually pick out guitars based on that alone, then you could have won yourself a guitar.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:15:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DM1975] [#50]
Originally Posted By Walkure:

If you think the wood is so important that you can actually pick out guitars based on that alone, then you could have won yourself a guitar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eac9ctVTGnI
View Quote

I can’t stand that guy, so I went looking and watched several videos. Most I came across were pretty poorly done. Some videos showed a difference and some didn’t. But… this video has me about convinced.

Tested: Where Does The Tone Come From In An Electric Guitar?

ETA: Thanks to Mach for providing this video earlier in the thread.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top