BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 7
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 3:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Who defines what is "fucked up"?  Who defines what is normal?
View Quote
Very profound.

Even brilliant.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 3:36:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Expand your mind by altering your perceptions while on it (and leaving fleeting, jumbled memories of the altered perceptions, after you've come back down)? Sure.

The experience may possibly lead some folks to alter their behavior/ways of thinking, based on the altered perceptions during the trip. That can be a good, or bad thing.

I've been trying to help someone who recently used psychedelics,  and while on them, was convinced that space aliens live among us, control the government, and have the ability to sense people who've 'seen' the truth, and were after her because of it. That there are other dimensions/planes of existence that are real, but can only be seen, sometimes, while on these 'mind expanding' substances.

She's stopped doing the psychedelics (and drugs in general), but the altered perceptions while on psychedelics has left her with this mentality, "I'm no longer taking them, and no one's come and taken me away, so I know that was just paranoia from the experiences I had while tripping, but still... I wonder if the things I thought and saw, may still be real, and that there ARE aliens among us, and they control the government. Maybe those other dimensions ARE real, and these beings can observe is, but we can't see them, except occasionally, when our perceptions are expanded while on psychedelics".

One of the telling things about this so-called 'expansion of the mind', is that when folks are tripping, the crossed wires and short circuits may produce epiphanies and profound revelations. Whenever they've tried to write these profound revelations and epiphanies down though, (or recorded themselves explaining it while they're tripping), it's all complete nonsense, and even the tripper themselves can't make heads or tails of it, when they've come back down to reality.

So yes, it can alter your perceptions, and this may make folks 'think' that it expands their minds when they vaguely recall these feelings of profound revelations and epiphanies that they had while tripping (but that they, for the most part, can't fully recollect when they're sober, aside from generalizations like, "everything's connected, man").
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

One of the more interesting theories that I've read is that psychoactive drugs actually remove the filters that we have either unconsciously or consciously placed on ourselves.  These filters are imposed on us by society and ourselves as we learn to understand and cope with the world around us.  Essentially, as infants and children, we don't understand how to control our sensory inputs and we may actually "see" things as they really are, i.e. children playing with imaginary friends, something that is universally recorded across human history as evidenced buy stories and quotes about "seeing the world through the eyes of the children", etc.  As we age, we tune out these "distractions" in order not to go into sensory overload.  Auditory and visual hallucinations may be failures of these filters, whether induced, ex. drugs/chemicals or sensory deprivation, or by some chemical imbalance within ourselves.  Huxley's The Doors of Perception is one book on the subject.

Just another footnote in the discussion....
View Quote
Well, I can see this angle to a degree - not as a stoner/drug-user, but as having experienced the layers not being there, then moving in - fast - layer by layer (in your terms, filter by filter) as I was waking up one morning.

It was an incredible realization that, only experienced once, was too difficult to grasp enough to hold on to the full experience today.

Thank you for writing your post.  I sort of forgot about that experience, but your writing brought it back to me now.  I thought it incredible the layers / filters that were applied by my 'awake' psyche.

That event did change my life, and I am less apprehensive to tell so many people that I love them now.  Not sexually, but just for them being them, them living.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 3:57:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Oldmanyellsatclouds/Ihadfunonceitwasaweful.

Okay then.  This thread isn't for you, apparently.   Please see yourself out and promptly go shit in another thread..
View Quote
so your saying it is for fun.

interesting.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 3:57:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Show us the documents.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Some of you are ignoring the  dangers that can and do happen with the use of these drugs. They're well documented.
Show us the documents.
They can't unless it's some government propaganda study.  Mushrooms are one of the safest substances out there but they are schedule 1 and the sheep think it must be to protect them from the dangers. When in reality it's to keep the SSRI's flowing wich have legit shitty side effects but don't worry big pharma has something to fix that.  Some people just hate freedom and responsibility they need the government to tell them what's okay and what's not.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 4:01:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Not in my case.  I was changed for the better for over a year after smoking DMT one time.  Same with psilo, and mescaline.  Mescaline cured me of anxiety for months just from one use.

I don't think any psychedelics should be illegal.

And I have to laugh at that guy above who said they make you lazy.  

Pot can make you lazy IF you are smoking it all day every day.

Also have to laugh at anyone who thinks psychedelics are a 'fun time'.. if you don't go into them understanding that its not always a fun time, sometimes its not a fun time at all, sometimes its a sobering experience.  These things need to be respected.  They will kick your ass if you don't.
View Quote
This has been my experience as well, it's amazing how long the positive effects can last. I would assume this is why they remain a schedule one drug since it would interfere with big pharma profits.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 4:21:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Certainly gives you a huge rush of introspective thoughts. Felt like your favorite high school teacher blowing your mind x50. Lots of epiphanies over trivial stuff. It was too much for me being in a concert crowd. Had to leave and chill at my car. Visuals were mainly steamers and amplified lighting. It was right at dusk on a semi cloudy day. Gave me appreciation of what sundowners is like for Alzheimer’s patients. I have too much anxiety these days to try it again, it was a teenager thing. Allegedly.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

interesting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oldmanyellsatclouds/Ihadfunonceitwasaweful.

Okay then.  This thread isn't for you, apparently.   Please see yourself out and promptly go shit in another thread..

interesting.
I'm going to assume you've never had sex for fun. The amount of chemicals that flood your brain is ridiculous. Not to mention, parts of your brain actively shutdown. Your perception of time, sense of smell, taste and touch are altered to heightened state of sensitivity.

Then there are the lingering after effects caused by neurotransmitters and hormones that facilitate changes in behavior.

Damn Junkies, always trying to get high. Thinking about their next fix.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 4:32:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I'm going to assume you've never had sex for fun. .
View Quote
I'm Catholic, so...

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 4:35:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Yes they do.

If you have the hookup, we can hang...  
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 4:36:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Pull that shit up, Jamie.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 4:38:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Show us the documents.
View Quote
Art Linkletters daughter tried to fly off a building! Everyone knows this!!!
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 4:39:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

If you have the hookup, we can hang...  
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 5:05:12 PM EDT
[#14]
The ones growing on my daddies farm were a shitload bigger than those.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 5:07:34 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Certainly gives you a huge rush of introspective thoughts. Felt like your favorite high school teacher blowing your mind x50. Lots of epiphanies over trivial stuff. It was too much for me being in a concert crowd. Had to leave and chill at my car. Visuals were mainly steamers and amplified lighting. It was right at dusk on a semi cloudy day. Gave me appreciation of what sundowners is like for Alzheimer’s patients. I have too much anxiety these days to try it again, it was a teenager thing. Allegedly.
View Quote
Being alone in the Smokey Mountains during a tremendous lightning storm was fantastic.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 5:08:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The ones growing on my daddies farm were a shitload bigger than those.
View Quote
You win a banana sticker!

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 5:24:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Yes. But it's definitely not for everyone. Weird shit REALLY does happen.
View Quote
This.  
Not looking, but I assume the “pot needle” patrol infest this thread.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 5:25:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Expand your mind by altering your perceptions while on it (and leaving fleeting, jumbled memories of the altered perceptions, after you've come back down)? Sure.

The experience may possibly lead some folks to alter their behavior/ways of thinking, based on the altered perceptions during the trip. That can be a good, or bad thing.

I've been trying to help someone who recently used psychedelics,  and while on them, was convinced that space aliens live among us, control the government, and have the ability to sense people who've 'seen' the truth, and were after her because of it. That there are other dimensions/planes of existence that are real, but can only be seen, sometimes, while on these 'mind expanding' substances.

She's stopped doing the psychedelics (and drugs in general), but the altered perceptions while on psychedelics has left her with this mentality, "I'm no longer taking them, and no one's come and taken me away, so I know that was just paranoia from the experiences I had while tripping, but still... I wonder if the things I thought and saw, may still be real, and that there ARE aliens among us, and they control the government. Maybe those other dimensions ARE real, and these beings can observe is, but we can't see them, except occasionally, when our perceptions are expanded while on psychedelics".

One of the telling things about this so-called 'expansion of the mind', is that when folks are tripping, the crossed wires and short circuits may produce epiphanies and profound revelations. Whenever they've tried to write these profound revelations and epiphanies down though, (or recorded themselves explaining it while they're tripping), it's all complete nonsense, and even the tripper themselves can't make heads or tails of it, when they've come back down to reality.

So yes, it can alter your perceptions, and this may make folks 'think' that it expands their minds when they vaguely recall these feelings of profound revelations and epiphanies that they had while tripping (but that they, for the most part, can't fully recollect when they're sober, aside from generalizations like, "everything's connected, man").
View Quote
Well, that explains some posts on here.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 5:29:54 PM EDT
[#19]
yes, Psychedelics expand your mind by allowing you to think in ways you were unable to.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 5:37:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I'm Catholic, so...

View Quote
Well that certainly explains a lot.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 5:43:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I don’t think I could handle it now. Too old, too sad, too fragile in body and mind.

At 40, I already miss my youth terribly. No wonder people are ready to die at the end. They’re probably like “just get this over with already.”
View Quote
At 50, there is NO way that I could ever think about doing it.  I mean, it could have been fun, or so I have heard in my 20's.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 5:47:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Just one of the videos out there with researchers talking about their research.

The science of psilocybin and its use to relieve suffering

Roland Griffiths, Ph.D., is a Professor in the Departments of Psychiatry and Neurosciences at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

His experiment is set up very similar to Dr. Rick Strassman's earlier study into DMT.  Strassman wrote a book on his studies: DMT: The Spirit Molecule: A Doctor's Revolutionary Research into the Biology of Near-Death and Mystical Experiences  There was a movie made about it as well.

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
yes, Psychedelics expand your mind by allowing you to think in ways you were unable to.
View Quote
Sometimes.

Sometimes you just roll around in the dirt, laughing at the sound of your own farts.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 5:53:28 PM EDT
[#24]
They also donate to Bernie Sanders.  I'd take anything those leftists say with a grain of salt.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 6:01:45 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I'm Catholic, so...

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm going to assume you've never had sex for fun. .
I'm Catholic, so...

Link Posted: 3/14/2019 6:28:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Personally I think I'm far too uptight to have a good experience, so the stuff has always scared me.
View Quote
Ditto. I try to maintain a pretty calm, measured, drama-free lifestyle. I just don’t like the idea of potentially losing control. Maybe I gain some deeper perspective on life. Maybe I sob for hours about how Dan Fogleberg never got the opportunity to produces rap album. Maybe decades of repressed rage boil over all at once. Or maybe I calmly chop my toes off because toenails have been rendered vestigial by evolution.

Shit scares me, even under controlled conditions. If I was ever gonna do it, I’d want to be wearing a comfortable straight jacket with VR goggles of a Carribbean beach and calming spa music playing in the background.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

They also donate to Bernie Sanders.  I'd take anything those leftists say with a grain of salt.
View Quote
This, to the nth degree. Not dangerous?

Like junkies who flip property as a matter of course to feed their habits. Normal as breathing, according to them.
Some eventually kick, and it's pretty much what they say about it. LSD alters your perceptions alright.

In the early stages, you are so far ahead of everyone. Then, you wake up and realize that life has left you behind.
If you want to be nowhere at 40, I'd say go for it.

The real danger is when you're right, and everyone else is wrong. When speaking out against it puts you in the minority,
kind of like in this thread. People go to college, spend their time doing stuff like this, then wind up on charge of stuff.

Drugs are nowhere. You want to expand your horizons? Read a book.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 7:09:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

This, to the nth degree. Not dangerous?

Like junkies who flip property as a matter of course to feed their habits. Normal as breathing, according to them.
Some eventually kick, and it's pretty much what they say about it. LSD alters your perceptions alright.

In the early stages, you are so far ahead of everyone. Then, you wake up and realize that life has left you behind.
If you want to be nowhere at 40, I'd say go for it.

The real danger is when you're right, and everyone else is wrong. When speaking out against it puts you in the minority,
kind of like in this thread. People go to college, spend their time doing stuff like this, then wind up on charge of stuff.

Drugs are nowhere. You want to expand your horizons? Read a book.
View Quote
Get both.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 8:50:36 PM EDT
[#29]
"...The distressing effects of a bad trip normally ease when the drug wears off; however, it can persist for weeks or months in some users 2. These long-term side effects are known by the clinical terms “Persistent Psychosis” and “Hallucinogen Persisting Perception Disorder (HPPD)” 5.

Such complications are rare, but can happen after using LSD just one time. Individuals who abuse LSD over a long period 1 or have a history of abusing multiple drugs may also be at greater risk of developing these conditions8.

Individuals suffering from Persistent Psychosis can have visual disturbances, disorganized thinking, paranoia, and mood disturbances that continue long after the last use of the drug. While this condition is not well understood 7, symptoms are sometimes managed with antidepressants or antipsychotics...."

https://drugabuse.com/lsd/effects-use/
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:12:08 PM EDT
[#30]
"...LSD Dependence

The scientific evidence indicates that LSD does not produce dependence and is not addictive. However, tolerance to the effects of LSD develops very quickly, meaning that frequent use of the drug will result in diminished effects over time. Essentially, the same dose won’t create the same “high.”

Some users may increase the dose of LSD they take to overcome this tolerance, which can increase the risk of experiencing the negative effects discussed above.

Compulsive LSD users may also develop a pattern of problematic use defined as a hallucinogen use disorder by the American Psychiatric Association. Signs include:

Trying unsuccessfully to stop using LSD.
Spending a lot of time in obtaining and using LSD.
Using LSD instead of fulfilling major personal or professional obligations.
Craving LSD.
Continuing to use even when doing so is creating interpersonal issues and/or mental/physical health issues.
Giving up hobbies in favor of using.
Needing to take more and more LSD to get “high.”..."
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Always heard from these people say that psychedelics expand your mind. But I've always wanted to call bullshit, and say it was just an excuse to have a good time.
View Quote
\

Steve Jobs, as far as I know, attributes much of his success to psychedelics.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:25:02 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Always heard from these people say that psychedelics expand your mind. But I've always wanted to call bullshit, and say it was just an excuse to have a good time.
I don't define what Jobs did as "success".
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:31:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Yes, if you let them.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:33:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:47:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Do you realize you just posted this on the internet?

If not, go dig a hole somewhere and feel a sense of accomplishment.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 9:54:50 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:05:47 PM EDT
[#37]
I believe they expanded the mind of 80% of the people I know of that took them..but that presumes that the people were reasonably introspective to begin with.

I don't think an idiot would get much out of the experience because there just isn't that much there to begin with.   In much the same way there is no way someone could squeeze 150 horsepower out of a 4.5 horsepower briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine regardless of how much boost was put into a turbo, what kind of cam shaft and fuel you put into the lawn mower engine.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:30:29 PM EDT
[#38]
"Expand the Mind" does not fit with the modern scientific understanding of the effects of psychedelics as far as I've seen in the research.

Here's a good explanation of what the evidence seems to indicate what's actually happening and why it ca be beneficial to some people.

Psychedelics: effects on the human brain and physiology | Simeon Keremedchiev | TEDxVarna
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:47:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Being alone in the Smokey Mountains during a tremendous lightngning storm was fantastic.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Being alone in the Smokey Mountains during a tremendous lightngning storm was fantastic.
I attended my first KISS concert in the 70's in a small Municipal Auditorium rolling on blotter When Gene Simmons blew fire and the flame cannons went off it was a "mind blown" moment and I just knew he was an extremely lucky demi-God walking the earth. It was like the only place to be in the World and everyone else was missing out.

The next time on shroom tea my bed wouldn't stop spinning and I had a foot on the floor to try to use as an anchor. My mind was racing 350 MPH from thought to thought as my heartbeat tried to match the same pace and I almost crawled to my parents room to ask them to take me to the hospital. The thought of lifetime imprisonment in my home and the resulting destruction of my social life overruled imminent death and I hung on until I finally passed out. Never again.
Link Posted: 3/14/2019 10:59:34 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
You definitely have to experience it to understand. It certainly makes you tap into parts of your brain you wouldn't otherwise. Kind of like an unlock lol. It's not for everyone though. Makes you see things for what they truly are in our existence and that is too much for some people to handle.
View Quote
This is a really good explanation.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:08:52 AM EDT
[#41]
It definitely livens up a stucco wall.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 12:14:43 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jobs never dug holes, shoveled snow, earned a callus from doing any kind of physical labor, or dug grease and dirt from under his fingernails.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 4:34:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
"...LSD Dependence

The scientific evidence indicates that LSD does not produce dependence and is not addictive. However, tolerance to the effects of LSD develops very quickly, meaning that frequent use of the drug will result in diminished effects over time. Essentially, the same dose won’t create the same “high.”

Some users may increase the dose of LSD they take to overcome this tolerance, which can increase the risk of experiencing the negative effects discussed above.

Compulsive LSD users may also develop a pattern of problematic use defined as a hallucinogen use disorder by the American Psychiatric Association. Signs include:

Trying unsuccessfully to stop using LSD.
Spending a lot of time in obtaining and using LSD.
Using LSD instead of fulfilling major personal or professional obligations.
Craving LSD.
Continuing to use even when doing so is creating interpersonal issues and/or mental/physical health issues.
Giving up hobbies in favor of using.
Needing to take more and more LSD to get “high.”..."
View Quote
So they can be as bad as alcohol is for some folks. Who would have thought?
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 4:53:56 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Jobs never dug holes, shoveled snow, earned a callus from doing any kind of physical labor, or dug grease and dirt from under his fingernails.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He made a shit load of money with his creative mind. Beats the living shit out of digging holes and shoveling snow for minimum wage.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 5:26:06 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 5:28:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I believe they expanded the mind of 80% of the people I know of that took them..but that presumes that the people were reasonably introspective to begin with.

I don't think an idiot would get much out of the experience because there just isn't that much there to begin with.   In much the same way there is no way someone could squeeze 150 horsepower out of a 4.5 horsepower briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine regardless of how much boost was put into a turbo, what kind of cam shaft and fuel you put into the lawn mower engine.
View Quote
that's a pretty thoughtful reply.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 5:37:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Ditto. I try to maintain a pretty calm, measured, drama-free lifestyle. I just don’t like the idea of potentially losing control. Maybe I gain some deeper perspective on life. Maybe I sob for hours about how Dan Fogleberg never got the opportunity to produces rap album. Maybe decades of repressed rage boil over all at once. Or maybe I calmly chop my toes off because toenails have been rendered vestigial by evolution.

Shit scares me, even under controlled conditions. If I was ever gonna do it, I’d want to be wearing a comfortable straight jacket with VR goggles of a Carribbean beach and calming spa music playing in the background.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Personally I think I'm far too uptight to have a good experience, so the stuff has always scared me.

You don't have to lose your shit. I've heard a little bit with a few drinks can just make you feel like the king of the world, without any visuals, everything just looks brighter.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 6:56:55 AM EDT
[#48]
A fellow needs hip boots to wade through this thread.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 8:00:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Isn't DMT the "manufactured version" of what's in ayahuasca - the hallucinogenic liquid made by South American shamans? Les Stroud did it on a version of "Survivor Man", as I recall.

Doing it the "right way" (with the shaman, ceremonially, in a sweat-hut) is supposedly a life-changing experience and opens up/reveals the universe, space and time in a hyper-profound way; the user "launches" his/her being and consciousness straight through the top of their head, up/out/into space providing a powerful "spiritual awakening".

The DMT version (if I'm correct and they are related), skips the shaman/ceremony and, rapidly, goes right to the "high", so the experience is very different. Of course, artificial stuff always is.
Link Posted: 3/15/2019 8:08:17 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
So, this means what, exactly?

I don't dig holes, nor do I shovel snow, and I rarely get grease under my nails unless it's for fun.  I don't perform any kind of physical work for my income.  Does that mean I am a failure?
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top