Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/27/2024 6:25:50 PM EDT
I find it hard to hold a conversation lately with people. Especially over the phone. It seems like every time I'm on the phone with someone they have to be the one doing all the talking. I even wait patiently for a pause and try to get my point in but I inevitably get interrupted and talked over again. Rinse and repeat.

I'm sure this is a result of a shrinking attention span en masse. Has anyone else noticed this?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:26:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Can’t argue with that
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Only some. Most people are normal.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By zach_:
View Quote

Normal is a sliding scale. What was normal isn't anymore.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#4]
You know my boss!
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:31:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't answer questions.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:31:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Very much so.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:33:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Most people are not listening they are only waiting to live stream their life to you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:33:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Maybe they are just excited to talk with you.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes.  And they're ALWAYS assholes.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:39:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By XJ:
You know my boss!
View Quote
my boss and i often communicate using nothing but Kenny Powers quotes and/or lines from Letterkenny.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Harpo Marx (R.I.P.), (R.J.) Teller, and all French mimes would disagree.

Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:16:27 PM EDT
[#12]
I've been experiencing same. At first thought it was due to my teenage girls, then just me getting older and grumpier.
Then I realized the 50+ year olds at work did the same shit. I would try to get a word in at a pause but there was never a pause.

Recently this fucker was going on at 90MPH pace and asked a question I had the exact answer to but he wouldn't shut the fuck up long enough for me to tell him.
I ended up letting him walk away still pondering that question. W. T. F.
Either I am getting less patient in my old age or these gadgets with the constant Social Media is frying some brains.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By zach_:
View Quote

Normal is just a cycle on my washing machine.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#14]
Yes, it's very hard to have an actual conversation with anyone these days.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By CentralScrutinizer:
I've been experiencing same. At first thought it was due to my teenage girls, then just me getting older and grumpier.
Then I realized the 50+ year olds at work did the same shit. I would try to get a word in at a pause but there was never a pause.

Recently this fucker was going on at 90MPH pace and asked a question I had the exact answer to but he wouldn't shut the fuck up long enough for me to tell him.
I ended up letting him walk away still pondering that question. W. T. F.
Either I am getting less patient in my old age or these gadgets with the constant Social Media is frying some brains.
View Quote

More than once I have told a customer, "you called and asked me a question, but I can only answer it if you stop talking long enough for me to."
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:25:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I usually tell them they have diarrhea of the mouth or that they talk so much their tongue is sunburned

I usually do this in front of other people who laugh at them

That usually shuts them up and they avoid me for future conversations
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:27:48 PM EDT
[#17]
OP knows my brother.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Assert yourself, that’s part of conversation.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Yes. It's like they have to force their point with you. I think it has something to do with shorter attention spans. It's like they don't know how to have a two-way conversation where you take turns talking.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:34:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Yeah, but then nothing comes out when they move their lips, just a bunch of gibberish
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:35:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:38:26 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By tsg68:
Assert yourself, that's part of conversation.
View Quote
It's a battle?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:39:07 PM EDT
[#23]
I was taught to listen more than you talk, so it all seems to work out.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:45:26 PM EDT
[#24]
One of the old project managers at work used to do that. Nice guy, but you'd end up talking to him for 45 minutes, maybe 3 of which you'd have anything to say. He would go on, and on, and on, and on, and on. Rarely asked you a question, and if he did it was "do you know about xxxxx?" Even if you said "yes" he'd still explain it to you. You would learn a thing or two, but he'd do this as you passed him in the hall. So whatever you were trying to do you would never get to it. I'd have to act and get wide eyed real quick "oh fuck, I forgot about that thing I gotta go check on! Sorry Tim, gotta go!"
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:49:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#25]
Originally Posted By samsilk:
I don't answer questions.
View Quote

I often give 3 word answers but often they expect to get a simple answer when they ask, what they think is simple question but it actually has a complicated answer.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 7:57:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Don’t care I don’t listen to anyone.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:03:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By intheburbs:
Do you actually listen, or are you just waiting to talk?
View Quote
Yeah that is what I am working on, am I truly listening to a conversation? It has become extremely complicated at work to speak without worry to the meaning of every word used.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#28]
Just my mom . Talk and talk and talk then ok bye. I can't get a word in. Then I'll talk to my dad and tell him stuff then later she'll say "you never told me that!" Because I never had a chance ma  

She says it's because I never really talk much in general so she feels like she has to carry the conversation.

Maybe that's how people feel about OP too?
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:03:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Mooseless] [#29]
I have a theory as to why this is increasing.

It’s loneliness.

You’ve probably already noticed that lonely people talk a lot. They don’t get a lot of human contact, so when they do they tend to overcompensate by talking nonstop.

So consider the last four years and the changes we’ve seen. Lockdowns, WFH, societal division, increased use of text, internet, etc. Almost every survey shows people are alone more often and lonelier than ever. I think this is one of the consequences we’re seeing.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:09:50 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Joe731:
Yeah, but then nothing comes out when they move their lips, just a bunch of gibberish
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:12:18 PM EDT
[#31]
Most people are not lustening, they're only waiting for their turn to talk
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:15:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Joe731:
View Quote

And motherfuckers act like they forgot about Dre.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Most people are stuck on transmit. Even when others are talking they aren’t listening, but thinking of what they want to say next.  A nation of monologues pretending to be engaged.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:40:31 PM EDT
[#34]
God gave you two ears and one mouth, use them in that proportion.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:43:56 PM EDT
[#35]
Meh.  Let them carry the conversation. Less work for me.  I have no desire to compete to talk on the phone or with anyone else.
Link Posted: 4/27/2024 10:52:28 PM EDT
[#36]
I've found the contrary. Most folks I interact with would rather not be involved in any conversations. Just send a text and be done about it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 3:50:51 AM EDT
[#37]
It's a sign that you are talking to a person with a narcissist personality. In that person's mind, what he or she has to say is much more important than what you have to say. They will talk over you. They will cut you off in mid sentence. Basically, they are children in an adult's body. My father was one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 4:06:49 AM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By Glocked:

And motherfuckers act like they forgot about Dre.
View Quote
Nowadays, everybody wanna talk like they got something to say

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top