User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:31:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep.

DoE even has fixed M134 miniguns at some of the security checkpoints inside plants.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
DOE provides their own security.

https://www.energy.gov/nnsa/office-secure-transportation

I don't think any commercial nuclear facility gets anything with a third-hole, except maybe the 3 TVA power plants.
You'd be wrong.
Yep.

DoE even has fixed M134 miniguns at some of the security checkpoints inside plants.
Well I guess this is one case where I'm glad to be wrong.  The places I've been must have been exceptions, then.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:35:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Our brinks guy that comes carries an M&P 9mm with the grip attached with a rubber band. Guess he lost the metal retainer stick..so no. He does not have a FA
View Quote
I think, the "Wrap the grip with rubber bands" was from the Mafia movies so the Authorities couldn't get good fingerprints off the weapon...  (or so the script said...)
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:38:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I worked for an company for 6 months in 1990. It was after I got out of the Corps while I was going through the hiring process for the Airlines.

We were limited to a revolver, checked out daily from the arms room, or our personally owned wheel gun. .38 Special ammo only lead round nose. No magnums, no +P, no hollow point allowed. One reload was allowed in a dump pouch. In the truck we had an Ithaca pump shot gun. I don't remember the ammunition we carried in that relic. But no reloads.

They provided the duty belt and holster for the company checked out guns. The company weapons were a mishmash of different Smith & Wessons. As you might expect they were pretty beat up. I carried my own personal Ruger Security Six. I got a lot of side eyed looks because I had such a nice personal weapon.

We had a qualifier that was shoot all six rounds at a full sized B27 target, take a knee and reload, then shoot all six from the kneeling. I think if you hit the target anywhere 6 times you passed. If you didn't the instructor would stab the target however many time you needed with a pen, and you passed.

That job sucked hard. Money stinks. It smells bad. The trucks sucked they broke down, had no A/C and were miserable to ride in for more than an hour. Everyone we dealt with was a prick, of course the quality of individual I worked with was pretty low. I felt more ill at ease with my coworkers than from any pick up or drop off we made even in the ghetto-esque  areas of Cleveland.

But I did get to experience what it was like to be the lowest common denominator of society, so I had that going for me, and it was good.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
They buy them from Sunny's Surplus.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 5:57:56 PM EDT
[#5]
lol no
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
And if so, how? Does the company have some sort of exemption or workaround to get new ones (07/02?) or are they limited to pre-86 ones like everyone else?

I used to work with a guy that had worked for an armored truck company 20+ years ago and he said he was given a stipend to buy a sidearm from an approved list, but he said they did have FA guns "in the armory". He was a bit of a story teller though so I'm wondering how realistic that claim is.
View Quote
I worked for Wells Fargo Armored, Armored Transport Inc., and AT Systems. No. Armored Transport DID have Mini-14s in California and handed them out to LAPD during the North Hollywood shootout, but they were semi auto. We had no full auto anything, and this is AZ where it wouldn't raise an eyebrow. Only rifle we had was, again, a Mini-14 for the out of town truck.
Now one thing we DID do was during "season", a week before Thanksgiving to a week after New Years, the boss let us carry personally owned rifles in the front of the truck, on display, so we had rigs with AKs, ARs and one with an FAL on full display fo the public to see. Must have worked, we never got robbed. We also could use our personally owned sidearms, no "list" to go by, and the company gave us 400 rounds a year practice ammo. Wells Fargo was the one who required a 38Spl revolver issued by them with 158gr LRN ammo. We would leave the bay and switch guns and rigs before we got to our first stop.
8.5 years in the rolling steel, fun job. Paid crap, but a fun job.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:10:24 PM EDT
[#7]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Can a 1970s S&W revolver in .38 Special be made to run full-auto?
https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-29-2015/mibhEk.gif" target="_blank">https://i.makeagif.com/media/5-29-2015/mibhEk.gif
WTF is that from? LOLOLOLOL
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:21:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As a note, only one or two of the guys fit the chubby, high drag stereotype. Several of the guys were prior .mil. Pay is shit.
View Quote
This was more my experience at AT Systems(now Garda) 10 years ago.

Lots of prior .mil or Retired LEOs. some had gotten a bit chubby, but most carried Glock it Ruger autos. A few guys carried S&W 686s that were issued. We had 8 870s in the armory. 5 of them were factory 18 inch guns, 3 were cut down express models with vent ribs and shortened “sport” forends to clear the side saddles.
We had 3 mini 14s with Choate pistol grip stocks and 2 Universal M1 carbines. Every route has a shotgun in the truck, I worked the shuttle route that was a night route to the big city to drop off money from the bank branches to the main banks. We always took a rifle.

When Garda bought out A/T, there was lots of talk of pulling the long guns. I didn’t stick around long enough to see what happened. A few years back, they closed the branch in my town and run all the local routes from a more rural community about 75 miles south of Eugene. My guess is pay doesn’t have to be as competitive.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:27:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Bull shit, only pistol and shotgun
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:31:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a friend from high school that works at one.  They have FA.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think any commercial nuclear facility gets anything with a third-hole, except maybe the 3 TVA power plants.
I have a friend from high school that works at one.  They have FA.
I worked security at Seabrook station for Wackenhut. We did not have full auto. When I first started there we did have Sig 551’s tho. Which is where I fell in love with that rifle. Before I left we had transitioned to AR’s.

I also worked for loomis in Burlington, vt on cash trucks. No rifles anywhere. ESP not full auto.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
When I first started there we did have Sig 551's tho.
View Quote
They had Swiss 551 semi-autos? What barrel length?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:38:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

They had Swiss 551 semi-autos? What barrel length?
View Quote
Standard 551’s with the 13”? Barrel.
Not 551 LB’s
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:39:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice! That's my favorite 551 config.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice! That's my favorite 551 config.
View Quote
Mine too. That’s why had to go the poor man’s route and SBR my 551A1.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:45:20 PM EDT
[#15]
The husband of a lady who worked with my wife offered to get me on to an armored car gig for like $12/hour, but I was making $14 + benefits working for TSA at the time. I probably should have taken it. 357's loaded with 38's. At least I wouldn't have had to stand around all day and listen to whiny shit.

I've seen a few around here. Glocks in an Uncle Mike's holster's on a Walmart belt. I think I've seen one Hipoint and at the grocery store in my hometown, I shit you not, the black security chick there carried a fucking Taurus Judge.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#16]
When I used to work for Penske Truck Leasing, we had the contract to repair their vehicles for awhile. I've even driven their trucks out on test drives. Never once saw one of their people carrying anything other than a side arm. As a side note all their security people reminded me of TSA agents.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:49:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Now one thing we DID do was during "season", a week before Thanksgiving to a week after New Years, the boss let us carry personally owned rifles in the front of the truck, on display, so we had rigs with AKs, ARs and one with an FAL on full display fo the public to see. Must have worked, we never got robbed. We also could use our personally owned sidearms, no "list" to go by, and the company gave us 400 rounds a year practice ammo.....

.....8.5 years in the rolling steel, fun job. Paid crap, but a fun job.
View Quote
This was talked about. The old timers at my branch would carry lots of heavy fire power back 20 years ago.

We had weekly meetings from November through New Years about different branches and companies getting robbed across the company and things to look out for.

I carried a G23 with 2 15 round mags and around Christmas, I kept my shrouded Colt DS-II in my weak side jacket pocket.

Our instructors were pretty good, the pay was crap, but I learned a lot.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:50:37 PM EDT
[#18]
I did it for a few years. Company issued S&W revolvers that had not been cleaned in 10 years. The guys could only carry them for work and for qualifications. They could not take them home for cleaning or extra range time. If they wanted to clean or work on them, they had to do it off the clock at the main building.

We could purchase our own handguns from an "approved list." Ammo calibers were, 9mm, 40, 45 acp and 38 special only. No magnums, no +P ammo, no 10mm, no reloaded ammo, etc.

No single actions.

Double action revolvers with 4" barrels

No 1911's

No crossdraw holsters.

Semi Autos had to have a manual safety. Guys who had Glocks were grandfathered. IF they ever missed a qualification with their Glock, they could no longer carry it.

No magazines over 10 rounds, even though higher capacity mags were legal in my state. You could however, carry as many magazines as you wanted.

Shotguns were in the main vault. Only used on special occasions.

No rifles of any kind.

There was a rumor from an upper management guy that told me that 15 years ago there were a couple of Thompson Machine Guns in one of the large, old branches in Kansas that had not been used since the 50's that "disappeared" one weekend. No one knew if they were stolen from someone on the inside or if corporate had them quietly removed.

It was a pretty good job. It was quite boring (which was good), the hours were not great (even after 40 hours you were still paid straight time) and the pay was $12 an hour.

You had to go until your route was finished, so you never knew when your day would end. Even if your truck broke down, you had to stay with it...…..period. Blizzard...you stay with the truck......period. Your wife having a baby...……..you stay with truck.

I almost missed the birth of my daughter because I was in the truck.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:52:12 PM EDT
[#19]
I knew someone who did it, the pay was bad, and no FA.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#20]
I don’t know if they carry full autos, but I have a CSB.

A few years ago I got to the bank early and sat in my truck waiting for it to open.  The truck guards were unloading the cash at the front door using some trolly thing to take it to the vault.  They needed help with the trolly, so they all went in, including the driver, leaving the rear door open and all money unattended.  I had at least 10 minutes to take what I wanted.  I didn’t take any
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:53:48 PM EDT
[#21]
the Garda guy at my old job wore a plate carrier and carried a Sig with rust on the hammer in an old AF Desantis pancake holster with no active retention.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:53:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Worked part time for Brinks 20 some years ago. Carried a S&W model 64 bobbed hammer. With 2 speedloaders. 18 rounds of 38 special. One guy carried a Ithaca shotgun in his rear cabin area. They went to Chicago so they didn't really say no. As far as full auto the guy is full of crap.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

It was a pretty good job. It was quite boring (which was good), the hours were not great (even after 40 hours you were still paid straight time) and the pay was $12 an hour.

You had to go until your route was finished, so you never knew when your day would end. Even if your truck broke down, you had to stay with it...…..period. Blizzard...you stay with the truck......period. Your wife having a baby...……..you stay with truck.

I almost missed the birth of my daughter because I was in the truck.
View Quote
Yea, I was single and young, so I volunteered to work a lot of the holidays so the guys with families could be home.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:00:00 PM EDT
[#24]
Wife used to work for Loomis in the money room packing bags and/or counting incoming cash from ATMs.

The 'armory' consisted of a few well worn wheelguns and a few shotguns.

The guards either furnished their own weapon off the approved weapon list or they were assigned one of the wheel guns out of the armory. Definitely no full auto, not even an AR of any type.

From the stories she's told me many of the guards weren't the brightest bulbs in the box.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 7:06:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Back in the late 70's I worked for one of the big security guard companies and while the average security guard received very little training (required some training by the state including firearms for commissioned guards), they had a brochure with a picture of guards with level IV plate carriers armed with what looked like AR15 rifles, standing in front of an armored personnel carrier. I asked the director of the local office about the picture and he advised me that was a special contract unit that worked at a nuclear power plant or other high security areas. Unfortunately, our office didn't have any contracts like that. Our office definitely didn't have any long arms and even if they did, they wouldn't issue them out for guards to take home. I spent a lot more time at the shooting range on my own time than the vast majority of the guards working there, because I was interested in firearms and I purchased my own that were much better than anything the company had. They just wouldn't let me use them on the job. I seriously doubt than any armored car company issues any of it's guards automatic weapons. Probably the best they could hope to get issued would be shotguns.
View Quote
Level IV plates in plate carriers in the '70s?
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 8:12:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Haaaahaaaaaa

No
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 9:18:08 PM EDT
[#27]
From my earlier post...the shotguns were beat to hell, rusting Mavericks. We had two in the entire shop.
Link Posted: 11/8/2018 10:29:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Thankfully we had better gear than that - the issue sidearm for AT Systems was Smith 686 357 mag, and they were new. One employee was a complete idiots and carried a Ruger P-85...with two speedloaders on his belt. He DID have one spare MAGAZINE, but he insisted keeping the 38 Spl speedloaders as well. I told him that if the auto ran dry and he grabbed a speed loader, first he would look stupid, then he would look dead.
Shotguns were 870s, IIRC, and some of them had some miles on them from being taken in and out of the trucks daily - drivers were issued shotguns on every route in the morning and turned them in at night. Six in the mag and a side saddle with six more, I think. In fact, every armored I was in had a shotgun up front. Only Armored Transport allowed the extra firepower back in the day, and it was never, ever used.  AT also use the FATS training system which was both valuable and a blast. I took Top Gun twice with the outfit, still have my "awards" somewhere. I was the Armorer for a while and would qualify staff at a local range. Didn't always work - I had one guy who was demonstrating how to disassemble a Glock in the office, (I was off that day), and promptly put a bullet through his hand. 6 months of therapy later, he could come back to work. I was gone by then.
Some of the guys were definitely a few rounds short of a full magazine upstairs, but some were pretty damn good people.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:22:43 AM EDT
[#29]
Never seen a F/A on the road here in my A/O
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 1:54:00 AM EDT
[#30]
I have no doubt that older security companies do have oddball FA locked away in their amories.

The LE agency I retired from still had Thompsons locked in the cages from the 30's. We even had a 37mm cannon, that we supposedly had a second one of at one point.

Western is who courier's the big money from BEP to the FRB, they just have pistols.

Federal Reserve guys have FA.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 2:45:14 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
im calling BS
View Quote
This.  I knew a couple guys who worked armored car in college $12/hr and they had to buy their own guns.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 10:53:57 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I worked security at Seabrook station for Wackenhut. We did not have full auto. When I first started there we did have Sig 551’s tho. Which is where I fell in love with that rifle. Before I left we had transitioned to AR’s.

I also worked for loomis in Burlington, vt on cash trucks. No rifles anywhere. ESP not full auto.
View Quote
@clayvt

I've heard wild stories (second hand) about what they have at Seabrook, up to and including a .50BMG, auto MP5s, etc.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:04:20 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You'd be wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
The company might have some "in the armory", but they sure as hell aren't giving FA weapons to guys making $12/hr.

A lot of the bigger security firms have to maintain so many odd fucking licenses across all the professional, city, state, and federal agencies in order to get contracts. It's almost nothing for them to be an SOT and get a hold of whatever they want. That's either for show, or for federal dept of energy/nuke contracts.

You'd be wrong.
Anything related to nukes ain't to be fucked with, they roll heavy.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:13:14 AM EDT
[#34]
Here they carry issued revolvers or a personal handgun from an approved list. They have shotguns in the back with gun ports on the sides. When I worked for the PD we got training in driving them in a SHTF situation, we had an agreement to go pick some up.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 11:16:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:01:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

@clayvt

I've heard wild stories (second hand) about what they have at Seabrook, up to and including a .50BMG, auto MP5s, etc.
View Quote
At least in 04-05ish when I was there it was Sig 2340’s in .357Sig for pistols and Sig 551’s.
As I said when I left we had just transitioned to LMT AR’s. No .50’s, or MP5’s. There were a few shotty’s but we never used them.
Also had some nice optics too.
Don’t really want to divulge specifics on that front.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:47:11 PM EDT
[#37]
Worked for Garda within the last 10 years.    You either carried a sidearm off the approved list or the issued wheel gun.  They had maybe 4 shotguns. And I never seen them go out.

Heard they took them out around 9/11 but not since.  0 automatics.  The gun ports are all sealed up also ( welded).

The last thing they wanted was us firing through them at ppl.  We were taught to never open the doors for robbers, drive off if possible. And if your partner got taken outside the vehicle to close the door and drive off.    Their thinking was it would make bad guy let the guy go and run with the money.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 12:52:31 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

At least in 04-05ish when I was there it was Sig 2340’s in .357Sig for pistols and Sig 551’s.
As I said when I left we had just transitioned to LMT AR’s. No .50’s, or MP5’s. There were a few shotty’s but we never used them.
Also had some nice optics too.
Don’t really want to divulge specifics on that front.
View Quote
Yup, understood. Always figured those stories had been a bit exaggerated. Time frame probably would have some overlap with when you were there lol.
Link Posted: 11/10/2018 12:10:24 PM EDT
[#39]
On a slightly related note, I went to one of those big Halloween costume places a couple weeks ago and saw a bunch of guys milling around their trucks in the parking lot. They were wearing a mixture of jeans, carharts, t-shirts, trucker hats, mostly bearded, with mismatched molle plate carriers. At first I assumed they were drug cops getting ready to do a hit, but there were no “police” placards, only American flags, moral patches, and a couple fake looking badges.

Sure enough, when I went into the store, same thing. Turns out they were security guards. Weird, never seen that before.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top