Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2021 11:59:05 PM EDT
Also, do they make it that doesn't fill the holes in air conditioned seats after awhile?
I remember trying some Mother's or Mequire's in a Lincoln interior, and it didn't seem to do much.
Is the new stuff just a waste as well?
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:01:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Unless you got the good stuff, most leather seats are just coated in plastic.

Waste of money on cleaners/conditioners.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#2]
Check out Pan the Organizer on YouTube.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:04:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Unless you got the good stuff, most leather seats are just coated in plastic.

Waste of money on cleaners/conditioners.
View Quote

Yup
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:04:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I use it and suspect that it is worthwhile.  I also use suitable conditioner on all plastic (or other unknown material) parts (side panels, dash, etc) and rubber seals.

I cover my leather seats with a seat cover as well and place a towel on the dash to cut down on UV damage.  My interior parts look very good after twenty years.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:05:58 AM EDT
[#5]
yes. even more so as they age. i suspect a new car or couch is good for 3-5 years from the factory before it needs yearly conditioning from normal use.

some 20 year leather couches look new. some look like trash. the difference is original quality and care over time.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:19:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I cover my leather seats with a seat cover as well and place a towel on the dash to cut down on UV damage.  My interior parts look very good after twenty years.
View Quote

Got that plastic seat sweat

Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:30:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Is that a classic?   How about an exterior view?

If that were mine I would have a blanket or similar over the plastic.  Keep it pristine.

There was some TV sitcom where the sofa was covered in plastic.    I can't remember which one it was.  Maybe Raymond's mom in Everybody Loves Raymond.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:32:39 AM EDT
[#8]
For real leather yes.
It keeps the leather soft and supple, helps to keep it from drying and cracking.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:51:54 AM EDT
[#9]
i like this stuff

Link Posted: 7/3/2021 1:25:05 AM EDT
[#10]

The leather cleaner and conditioner is good stuff too.

For a more commonly found option, you can get Lexol Cleaner and Conditioner at just about any parts store or Walmart if you're so inclined.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 1:30:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 3:58:42 AM EDT
[#12]
I like to use Leather Milk products.  I used it on my leather bomber jacket and it really works.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:18:59 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm sort of an amateur car detailer as a hobby - working on my own cars.   Clean leather should have a flat appearance - not shiny. Here's how I clean and protect the leather in my cars - which I don't have to do but every few years with this method.  

1. Spray the leather with a VERY diluted de-greaser. (Purple Power)
2. Then, using a Magic Eraser, working in a circular motion, gently clean the sprayed leather surfaces working a small area at a time.
3. Wipe off the cleaned area with a moist micro fiber towel.
4. Dry with a dry micro fiber towel.

Guaranteed to return your leather to a factory new finish.  

I then spray mine with a product called QP-ON - a SIO2 infused ceramic based protectant - which waterproofs the leather and prevents dirt build-up.  It lasts forever.  

Edit:  There are videos on YouTube - Apex Detail - that show this exact process.  Careful - it can be addicting.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:52:15 AM EDT
[#14]
I have had excellent results with Bick leather cleaner and conditioner. I was always too cautious about cleaning leather and never really realized how durable it is. It can take a pretty aggressive cleaning if necessary. I bought an expensive (if new) leather chair that was trashed for a couple of bucks.

It was mostly filthy from use and neglect but it also had a small tear in it. Using Bick cleaner and a stiff horse hair brush, I was able to scrub out all of the dirt and stains. I worked in small areas and wiped off the dirty solution with clean towels. Literally wash, wipe, repeat up to 3-4 times per panel until the towels were clean. It was sort of like cleaning a barrel until getting a clean patch.

I found a local leather repair guy that patched up the tear and color matched the dye. Once I got it all back together, it looked brand new. I can’t say enough about Bick products. Well worth the money.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 10:58:24 AM EDT
[#15]
I had a detail done, by the dealership, made my leather seats not only cleaner but, softer and better protected, when it was done.

Not sure of the process or products but, I was amazed.

Link Posted: 7/3/2021 12:32:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Nextzitte Cockpit is what I use.

Leather Masters is good stuff too, but you don't use it all the time.
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 1:46:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm sort of an amateur car detailer as a hobby - working on my own cars.   Clean leather should have a flat appearance - not shiny. Here's how I clean and protect the leather in my cars - which I don't have to do but every few years with this method.  

2. Then, using a Magic Eraser, working in a circular motion, gently clean the sprayed leather surfaces working a small area at a time.

I then spray mine with a product called QP-ON - a SIO2 infused ceramic based protectant - which waterproofs the leather and prevents dirt build-up.  It lasts forever.  

Edit:  There are videos on YouTube - Apex Detail - that show this exact process.  Careful - it can be addicting.  

View Quote

That QP-ON looks amazing! Which one(s) do you use?
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 1:57:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

@Ogive some it leave any shine or make it obvious that there is a coat on there?
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Leatherique  for real leather.

Most leather is coated so just a good UV protectant not called armorall will work
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 2:05:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Most people would absolutely not recommend using Magic Erasers on leather.  I'm in that group.  

I've had very good results using a mixture of Woolite and water.  I'd have to look up the ratio since I don't remember it.  It's far gentler than degreasers and such.   I've cleaned some pretty nasty seats with this mix.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

@Ogive some it leave any shine or make it obvious that there is a coat on there?
View Quote

@Pallas

I use the QP-On 2.0.  It does not leave a shine, nor can you see that it's been treated with anything.  It restores the factory look - very natural - not shiny.  

But spill a drink on it, and it'll puddle up in the middle of the seat. You'll be amazed.  

After a thorough cleaning, I'll also spray it on my rims and the front of my cars.  When they get dirty again, the dirt and filth come right off. It lasts for a year or more.   Excellent hydrophobic properties.  

It's a little pricey - but it dilutes.  So a little bottle lasts me a couple years.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 10:48:20 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That QP-ON looks amazing! Which one(s) do you use?
View Quote

@NY12ga

I use the QP-On 2.0   See comment above.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 10:51:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Leatherique  for real leather.

Most leather is coated so just a good UV protectant not called armorall will work
View Quote

This guy knows what he's talking about.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 10:56:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Most people would absolutely not recommend using Magic Erasers on leather.  I'm in that group.  

I've had very good results using a mixture of Woolite and water.  I'd have to look up the ratio since I don't remember it.  It's far gentler than degreasers and such.   I've cleaned some pretty nasty seats with this mix.
View Quote

@baxt3r

The only way I've found to restore the leather in a soiled, greasy-shiny leather interior, is to gently use the magic eraser.  (The shine is accumulated body oils, sweat, and other environmental substances) It's not something you use but once every few years - especially if you treat the leather properly afterwards.    

This isn't a heavy handed process.  You don't scrub like your life depended on it...  Gentle circles...  If you're scrubbing away - and doing it twice a year - you'll have issues.  But occasional, careful use is perfectly safe and acceptable.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#25]
Professional stuff is what you seek. AMMO NYC or Car Supplies Warehouse.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Meguires worked well for me on the seats in an Eldo I had some years back.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:39:44 AM EDT
[#27]
I absolutely hate shiny and slick steering wheels. They take the brunt of our sweat and other shit on our hands. New car gets leatherique once a month followed by Gyeon Leather Coat. Keeps it like new.
Link Posted: 7/5/2021 9:40:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Our local Ford dealer will tell you they must knock off 20% of KBB on trades if yo didn’t use the conditioner.

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:01:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Rag for info

I bought a bottle of Leather care product, major brand which I can't remember

When I read the directions, after I got home, it said not get get it on the stitching

How in the hell are you going to avoid the stitching in an automobile interior?

Link Posted: 7/5/2021 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Rag for info

I bought a bottle of Leather care product, major brand which I can't remember

When I read the directions, after I got home, it said not get get it on the stitching

How in the hell are you going to avoid the stitching in an automobile interior?

View Quote

Get a quality leather product and it’s no worry. Brand? Edit, you said can’t remember
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top