Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/20/2019 2:54:37 PM EDT
Woke up this morning wondering this.

What about the big chain sporting goods stores?

Seems like a pain to put all the guns in a safe.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you planning?
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:01:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What are you planning?
View Quote
Haha!
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:01:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Varies store to store from my expereince, there is no legal requirement for a safe from my understanding, but just secure storage, which can mean a lot of different things.  I've seen some use safes, I've seen others use security cable through trigger guards, etc.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#4]
A store I like to frequent would probably need 50 safes, and at least an hour after close. I doubt it.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:05:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Varies store to store from my expereince, there is no legal requirement for a safe from my understanding, but just secure storage, which can mean a lot of different things.  I've seen some use safes, I've seen others use security cable through trigger guards, etc.
View Quote
If depends. One store I go to leaves them In thebglsss cases but it’s a pawn shop also with lots of jewelry and has bars on doors and windows and is in a decent area.

Another has rolling steel doors that close over the cases.

There is a reloading shop that has a very small under counter inventory and they put them in a safe.

There’s a Dunn’s sporting goods that gets left in cases but they have little to no risk of break in due to the area.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#6]
The gun store in my hometown would put their firearms in a safe every night. They were very small though. Only about 20 to 30 firearms for purchase maybe.

Gun Runners in Anchorage has a hole in the wall establishment and firearms from floor to wall and in every spot imaginable. They are not locking them up in a safe every night lol.

ETA: I never had a bad experience with the guys at gun runners.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:08:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Used to have a local shop here that was in an old bank. At night they'd wheel all the cases into the vault.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:11:42 PM EDT
[#8]
The local place here would have a hell of a time doing that.

Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:14:58 PM EDT
[#9]
When my buddy had his gun store we put away the MG's and the 20mm Lahti along with any especially pricey guns at closing. It was easy enough since his shop was in an old bank and he had the walk-in vault.

Otherwise he specialized in mainly used stuff and those stayed out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Depends on the store. Local place got hit for 180 guns and 3 suppressors so for them no. I used to work at a place that locked up all handguns every night and had all of the long guns in locking racks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:19:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I’d wager most don’t.

Local one to me built their store out of shipping containers. Theives cut through the side and lost a lot of inventory
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Apparently not all of them do. One local independent shop in an adjacent city here did not and they were hit several time by thieves.

The city talked about passing an ordinance to require them to lock up the guns after hours but were told by their attorney they did not have the jurisdiction to do that.

The city was then looking at requiring bars on the windows and doors or other security measures, but the gun store closed down after about the 4th incident of thieves breaking out the windows at night to steal guns, so the issue became moot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:22:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Seems impractical to put them all in safes but a couple of big gun stores I visit from time to time recently started running steel cables through all the long guns they have on display.  And they have hundreds.  If you want to inspect even an old shotgun in their used racks nowadays you have to get a clerk to unlock it.  Didn't used to be like that.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 3:24:10 PM EDT
[#14]
I’ve seen a few stores where they have all their pistols on the wall.  I’ve seen a few stores where they have all their pistols on the wall.    Don’t think they’re running the cable through the church guards at night maybe they do?   I think it would be a pain to put all the pistols back in their boxes.

Also all that man handling could damaged the guess I guess. So it’s easier just to leave them out and let insurance cover it if they get robbed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:06:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Waaaaayyyyyy too many guns at my store to put them all away every night. But the exterior and all doors/access is pretty heavily fortified.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:10:27 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
No secure storage is required, and I would bet that most gun shops do not secure their inventory in any way, whether they are open or closed.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 4:16:39 PM EDT
[#17]
no they do not. Small shops in shitty areas do
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 6:59:55 PM EDT
[#18]
farm king had a sign saying all guns secured at closing

farm king employee told me it's the same securing used during the day, laying in a glass case.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:05:23 PM EDT
[#19]
I walked into one near me, I'd been there before and knew the crew. I asked why the walls were bare, and the owner told me that they just hadn't bothered putting them back out.
He said his clientele generally knew what he had and he'd bring out anything that anyone asked to see if needed.
I couldn't argue with his logic. Everytime I'd been there, I'd called ahead to make sure they had the gun I was looking for.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:09:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Some do and some dont.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:43:26 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm sure there's places where it's dictated by local ordinance but every one I've known it was an internal decision revolving mostly around the insurance carrier and coverage and perceived risk. Basically just like any retail store and it's inventory.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:47:42 PM EDT
[#22]
FPNI
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:50:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Maybe if they have 20 guns. Mine has hundreds out not including handguns. 1000s in inventory in the “basement”.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#24]
LoL no
Store of any size would take hours and stuff would get damaged .
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:02:08 PM EDT
[#25]
The two I pass on my work commute don't. All lights are on and the long guns on the walls are plainly visible.

There was a local small shop run by a retired KSP officer that did. He said it took an hour or so every night, but that he "saw what stolen guns did on the streets" as a LEO and didn't want that on his conscience.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:08:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I worked at a national sporting goods chain store and can tell you that all handguns were pulled and put on trays on a series of tall, rolling baker's racks and rolled into a safe at night.  Long guns were secured in place.  All were counted twice a day and checked against sales records.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:11:59 PM EDT
[#27]
We have Atwoods here. They’re like a Tractor Supply store. They put all the handguns in the safe every night. The long guns stay in the rack. They generally have less than 50 handguns displayed at any given time.
Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:13:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Later tonight.

Link Posted: 1/20/2019 8:22:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Sportsman warehouse has a big roll up door that comes down over the pistol display. All long guns are out and not secured each night though.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:12:21 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Sportsman warehouse has a big roll up door that comes down over the pistol display. All long guns are out and not secured each night though.
View Quote
what kind of steel?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:29:55 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
what kind of steel?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what kind of steel?
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:29:58 AM EDT
[#32]
As already mentioned, it varies greatly.

I have some friends that have a small (but well stocked) LGS. At the time I was really close with them, they would take down and lock up ALL the firearms (long guns, pistols, receivers). It took a while to tear down and set up every day.

I worked for a big box corporation that had hundreds (and possibly close to 1000) out on display at any given time. The place had full security camera feed on everything, so we never locked up anything. Long guns were in racks behind the glass pistol cases.

We did have 1 or 2 exceptions where there would be non-company personnel in place for heavy maintenance or something and we would have to put away just about everything. This was most certainly the exception, not the norm.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:47:59 AM EDT
[#33]
Ever since my dad took me to see Commando back in '85 I've always believed firmly that all gun stores have a secret room where they keep the good stuff.
Link Posted: 1/22/2019 2:49:50 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

what kind of steel?
View Quote
OP, do you also need the top half of a suit of armor?

Merry Christmas
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top