Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/9/2022 9:52:23 AM EDT
I'm really struggling to comprehend the overwhelming "American" outpouring of "grief" regarding QE2's passing. Frankly at a personal level, somewhat disheartened by this continued "Royal" fascination with a large percentile of the American population.

This weird fascination with Monarchy, regardless of QE2's passing, the stuff with Diana/Charles, the kids and that whole new princess thing. To me, I find it reprehensible and I also find it counter to the fundamentals we as Americans were founded upon.

My own aged Mother and her yenta friends, a myriad of others, overcome with so called "grief" and making the comments "I want to cry" and "God Save the Queen/God Save the King" type stuff. Last time I checked my Passport, it stated United States of America and I wasn't a British subject.

Nothing against Elizabeth herself, but again frankly WTF for "Americans"? Having spent allot of time in the UK, I understand and respect their cultural attachment for Monarchy regarding historical lineage as well as the figurehead role of "Empire" (using that term loosely as there is no longer an empire). I understand her historical significance to British subjects, I fully understand and appreciate what she represents for the UK in terms of historical time, ascending to the Throne during Truman's administration.

But at it's core as American's, Titles of "Nobility" and "Bloodlines" were abhorrent to the founding framework. The preamble of our very way of life: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.-- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed" and "Monarchy", or "Royalists" simply cannot exist in the same space. So what drives this strange fascination with Monarchy for Americans. I can even understand a larger outpouring of grief, reflections from the Canadian's or other former Commonwealth entities.    

There is a huge difference between "Citizen" and "Subject". Is the just the more time and distance (as well as undermining) is put on the ideals of the Founders and their principals, do most "Americans" just want to be subjects to a benevolent leader? Maybe QE2's passing is a microcosm of a greater symptom, showing why we're in this political quagmire?  

I don't know. Yes, a historical "Head of State" passed but, that of a Foreign Power and one of system where American's literally fought a war to throw off its oppressive shackles. I mean Gorbachev died the other week and there was zero point zero care, concern or reflection in the general American psyche.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:52:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:54:21 AM EDT
[#2]
The UK is one of our biggest Allies, more so than the country which is out hat.

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:56:51 AM EDT
[#3]
Monarchy>democracy
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:57:14 AM EDT
[#4]
It makes for a brief conversational topic but grief, not so much...

Oh Well...
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 9:58:52 AM EDT
[#5]
We had the Kennedys.

Luckily Trump decapitated the Clinton dynasty.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#6]
There's a reason monarchs were the norm for the majority of human history. Liberal democracy is an aberration and it's time will be short lived. Monarchy is based.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:02:37 AM EDT
[#7]
The responsibilities of being a citizen are too much for many people.  Being a subject requires less initiative. Lots of people just want to follow.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:02:49 AM EDT
[#8]
It's as simple as tradition and nostalgia. For much of living history, they've had a queen and all the tradition that goes with it. Now what do they have? An immigration problem and a confused identity.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:05:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Democracy is a horrific thing.

Representative Democratic Republics are closest to the perfect form of governance, imho. They allow for the greatest freedom within a structure that prevents the horror a true Democracy inevitably brings.

OP is correct. Most people are born to be slaves, and crave a strong "mommy" or "daddy" to take away those pesky decisions one has when free.

Fuck the Queen. Fuck the degenerate pieces of shit who consist the Royal Family. They are at least part of how the UK has become an overblown, overrated Third World shithole.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:05:26 AM EDT
[#10]
I think OP conflating "interest" and "respect" with a desire for subservience is pretty weird.

OP, tell us about your relationship with your mother.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:05:38 AM EDT
[#11]
Just regular celebrity gossip.  

There’s no bigger celebrities in the world than the British royal family.   To top that off there’s also the fantasy of the lifestyles of princes and princesses.  

Sounds like a fascinating, privileged and extremely exclusive world they live in.  Why wouldn’t the commoners be curious about that and live vicariously through them?  Kind of the same way people dream about winning the lottery.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Outpouring of grief and fascination with the monarchs are from Americans or American women?
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#13]
The Queen was a better friend to the US than most if not all democrats.

Apart from that - I think the "interest" Americans have in royalty is purely a look at something historical and quaint.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:09:50 AM EDT
[#14]
FPNI

Why are so many GDers so offended by people showing respect for another countries’ figure head dying?

If it was the Queen of Monaco or something, we wouldn’t care.

The US and England will always be connected
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Poor people standing in line to admire those that live on their backs in luxury. What stupidity.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:13:30 AM EDT
[#16]
I'll admit to only making it a couple of sentences into your post, but I don't think I need to read any further into it to help your confusion.

Many Americans see Great Britain as a close ally and friend.  When a friend is in mourning you typically mourn with them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:13:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I'm really struggling to comprehend the overwhelming "American" outpouring of "grief" regarding QE2's passing...
View Quote

Most are paying tribute to Queen Elizabeth II the person and what she accomplished, not her title.
The mass media and it's followers, however, are treating the event the same as they do the Kardashians -- a very profitable rate-boosting ploy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:14:07 AM EDT
[#18]
What a refreshing and original thread. Thank you OP.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:30:49 AM EDT
[#20]
She was an ally to our country.

She was a decent woman who served her country well for many decades and was a fixture of geopolitics for most of our entire lives.

My great-great-great grandfather was a British army captain.

I cannot fathom why honoring her in death would make someone so upset.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:31:30 AM EDT
[#21]
The death of the Queen was truly the end of an era. That lady was a player in almost every significant event of the 20th century.

I don't think Charles will last long, he clearly has liver/congestive heart failure. Hopefully the monarchy will go with him.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:34:52 AM EDT
[#22]
She had a good run. RIP.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:38:01 AM EDT
[#23]
I’m going to paraphrase the OP.

My friend’s mom just died. I don’t understand why everyone in our social circle is so upset and empathetic! She wasn’t my mom. I think they’re weak people who just want to suck milk from her tits.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:40:12 AM EDT
[#24]
I don't get this shit either.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:41:16 AM EDT
[#25]
I do not understand the desire for a subset of members to emulate a spazzed-out aspie.

The autism rate has to be well over 50%.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:43:29 AM EDT
[#26]
We need a " I don't understand what all the fuss about the Queen is" forum.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:45:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think OP conflating "interest" and "respect" with a desire for subservience is pretty weird.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:46:25 AM EDT
[#28]
OP, while we're on the topic, what are your thoughts on the inclusion of peanuts into cannisters of "mixed nuts"?
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:49:56 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Haven't had interest or respect for England since 1776...

My mother is a dreadful, gossipy, busy-body. You can have her if you'd like.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Maybe it was the 80’s. Things were pretty good back then. Really good. Association, the Royal Family was in US news streams and a part of America and we just associate it with good times?
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:50:46 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm really struggling to comprehend the overwhelming "American" outpouring of "grief" regarding QE2's passing. Frankly at a personal level, somewhat disheartened by this continued "Royal" fascination with a large percentile of the American population.

This weird fascination with Monarchy, regardless of QE2's passing, the stuff with Diana/Charles, the kids and that whole new princess thing. To me, I find it reprehensible and I also find it counter to the fundamentals we as Americans were founded upon.

My own aged Mother and her yenta friends, a myriad of others, overcome with so called "grief" and making the comments "I want to cry" and "God Save the Queen/God Save the King" type stuff. Last time I checked my Passport, it stated United States of America and I wasn't a British subject.

Nothing against Elizabeth herself, but again frankly WTF for "Americans"? Having spent allot of time in the UK, I understand and respect their cultural attachment for Monarchy regarding historical lineage as well as the figurehead role of "Empire" (using that term loosely as there is no longer an empire). I understand her historical significance to British subjects, I fully understand and appreciate what she represents for the UK in terms of historical time, ascending to the Throne during Truman's administration.

But at it's core as American's, Titles of "Nobility" and "Bloodlines" were abhorrent to the founding framework. The preamble of our very way of life: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness.-- That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed" and "Monarchy", or "Royalists" simply cannot exist in the same space. So what drives this strange fascination with Monarchy for Americans. I can even understand a larger outpouring of grief, reflections from the Canadian's or other former Commonwealth entities.    

There is a huge difference between "Citizen" and "Subject". Is the just the more time and distance (as well as undermining) is put on the ideals of the Founders and their principals, do most "Americans" just want to be subjects to a benevolent leader? Maybe QE2's passing is a microcosm of a greater symptom, showing why we're in this political quagmire?  

I don't know. Yes, a historical "Head of State" passed but, that of a Foreign Power and one of system where American's literally fought a war to throw off its oppressive shackles. I mean Gorbachev died the other week and there was zero point zero care, concern or reflection in the general American psyche.
View Quote

Stopped reading at the part in red.

A LOT
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:51:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Is this a parody thread?  Can anyone be this clueless?

It has to be a parody thread.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:51:58 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

A LOT
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

A LOT

Irregardless!
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:52:56 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The responsibilities of being a citizen are too much for many people.  Being a subject requires less initiative. Lots of people just want to follow.
View Quote

Lots of people should, in fact, have to follow.

INSANE: Young Americans Don't Know ANYTHING!

I'm not saying monarchy is a great system, I'm just pointing out every person in that video has an equal voice to you in democracy
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:53:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Oh look. Another thread announcing that you’re against whatever everyone else is doing.

How edgy.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:53:36 AM EDT
[#36]
After watching recent elections I am becoming convinced most people need to be told how to live and what to do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Irregardless!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A LOT

Irregardless!

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:55:50 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Democracy is a horrific thing.

Representative Democratic Republics are closest to the perfect form of governance, imho. They allow for the greatest freedom within a structure that prevents the horror a true Democracy inevitably brings.

OP is correct. Most people are born to be slaves, and crave a strong "mommy" or "daddy" to take away those pesky decisions one has when free.

Fuck the Queen. Fuck the degenerate pieces of shit who consist the Royal Family. They are at least part of how the UK has become an overblown, overrated Third World shithole.
View Quote

What's funny is the "democracy" that the left touts was only reserved to a small group of white men in ancient Greece.  Slaves, women, etc... weren't allowed to vote.

But you're right, most people are slaves and want to be slaves.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:57:58 AM EDT
[#39]
What a long winded and self serving post.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 10:59:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Were you okay with England in 1775? What was George Washington like?
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:00:11 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't believe you are going to see the same outpouring of support for Chucky when he kicks the bucket.  The queen seemed to be a kick ass old gal, though I think she made a few serious mistakes.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.. it's amazing that he can't recognize empathy.. must be aweful to have such a hollow soul
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:01:21 AM EDT
[#43]
The queen and all of her children  are just a headpieces.

That country is ran much like this one is by several different parties all arguing with each other one trying to get over the other.

The queen and her family actually has no say in any of this they're just figure heads.

Anyone that has been known for as long as she's been known there's going to be a bit of grief for the passing of such person. It's not that big of a deal.

My English friends all just consider the Royal family as part of their lives. They are all saddened.

But that whole country with its libertarian ideas has become a s*** hole.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:02:33 AM EDT
[#44]
Royalty is different today.  Typically little if any power, but they are a connection to tradition and the past which is good for a healthy national identity. If you think that is a good thing.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#45]
The majority of Americans are dumb sheep that feel what the media tells them to feel.

Here's what I think:

Little Bill wishes English Bob a Happy 4th!

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:04:25 AM EDT
[#46]
Just celebrity gossip rag stuff in a different box.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:05:01 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Did you forget to take your anxiety meds?
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
The queen and all of her children  are just a headpieces.

That country is ran much like this one is by several different parties all arguing with each other one trying to get over the other.

The queen and her family actually has no say in any of this they're just figure heads.

Anyone that has been known for as long as she's been known there's going to be a bit of grief for the passing of such person. It's not that big of a deal.

My English friends all just consider the Royal family as part of their lives. They are all saddened.

But that whole country with its libertarian ideas has become a s*** hole.
View Quote
I wouldn't call them libertarian.
Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:08:07 AM EDT
[#49]
The UK is probably the closest ally we have and the closest we will ever have.

I'm saddened to hear of her passing and because she was a fixture in England over the course of a LOT of history and she was one of the "good guys". No fascination with her.

I'm not crying myself to sleep or anything over it, but I AM recognizing it's a sad day for our UK brethren.

Link Posted: 9/9/2022 11:16:51 AM EDT
[#50]
All I'll say is that I think it's sad.....her passing. But she was 96. She was certainly not going to live forever. She'd been queen for a good many years. And the British were just used to having her. Again, it's sad she passed. But I won't mourn for her for she was not my queen.

Of course, if the President died, I wouldn't mourn him either. Fuck that guy!
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top