1: having some of the muscles tense and enlarged
and of impaired elasticity sometimes as a result of excessive exercise
2: lacking in flexibility : RIGID
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 3:58:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I could not fit other options like: an excuse for fatties
for why they can't touch their toes, etc  

Where are our resident dr atilla, huberman labs optimization, etc experts? Probably optimally asleep to be fair
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 4:36:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: The_Master_Shake] [#2]
Been lifting since I took my first weight training class in Jr. High

When I go through periods of inactivity I feel myself getting depressed.

Lifting is a lifestyle.

I'll add I don't think I've ever worried about being musclebound
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:11:36 AM EDT
[#3]
They only way you're going to get so much muscle that it may hinder your movement in some way is if you are using drugs to get there.

A natural lifter is never going to encounter that scenario provided they also train their flexibility and different cardio stages from time to time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:21:43 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't care what others do with their lives
as long as it doesn't affect me or our society.

Be an obsessed body builder and juice if you like,
it's your body.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:31:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9D1Alpha] [#5]
Lifting actually promotes flexibility. Moreso than yoga bullshit . Sure , a person can have acute soreness/stiffness from working out but that will go away .
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:33:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Maybe some outlier body types coupled with an outlier level of obsessive overtraining of a particular muscle group might lose some range of motion in certain angles, but relatively normal programs won't produce that.
As far as speed, a big slow guy is just a big slow guy. There are plenty of big fast ones. And slow small guys.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:39:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By sitdwnandhngon:
They only way you're going to get so much muscle that it may hinder your movement in some way is if you are using drugs to get there.

A natural lifter is never going to encounter that scenario provided they also train their flexibility and different cardio stages from time to time.
View Quote

Yep. Lift weights. Do it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 6:51:53 AM EDT
[#8]

View Quote

You pointed out the key to the concept.  You have to actively train flexibility too.  It's not so much "musclebound" in the sense of the muscle volume inhibiting movement, rather "musclebound" in the setting of strength training while ignoring posture, flexibility, range of motion.  "I can bench 3 plates, but I can't scratch my back"
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:26:50 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 9D1Alpha:
Lifting actually promotes flexibility. Moreso than yoga bullshit . Sure , a person can have acute soreness/stiffness from working out but that will go away .
View Quote

As far as flexibility is concerned, you have that bassackwards
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:30:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Last poll option is best option.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:31:19 AM EDT
[#11]
Maybe in the case of some freakishly overdone bodybuilder, or a powerlifter who emphasizes strength at the expense of other attributes, but for 99.9% of people, weight training won’t make you muscle bound.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:32:52 AM EDT
[#12]
It definitely slows me down on longer runs.

Sprints and a mile run I've actually got my fastest mile at  220. But my fastest 10 mile at 198.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:44:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: pr24guy] [#13]
This guy is 61 years old, and the other was a Gymnast.  You would be surprised to know that back in Arnold days, they all went for several mile runs as part of their training.

This 61 Year Old Is Fitter Than Me? His Training Secrets Revealed
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:48:47 AM EDT
[#14]
I think I have observed a situation that might explain it.

A couple times in my life, I have worked with some guys who really loved their time in the gym. Extremely dedicated to it, took the supplements and all, and the results definitely showed.

If we were to go to the gym, they would undoubtedly outperform me in every exercise.

In the real world, though, I found myself to be “stronger”.

It was as if all the muscle they had developed through controlled exercises had either given them a mentality they were so strong they didn’t need to use any technique. They weren’t particularly good at looking at a problem in the real world and determining the best vantage point, the best angles, using leverage or their body weight to their advantage. They would just try to brute force their way through, which of course doesn’t always work with things very heavy or very awkward.

Basically being able to squat 500 pounds in the gym doesn’t frequently translate as a useful life skill as most 500 pound objects don’t have a conveniently shaped and placed handle right in the middle of the load.

It’s not that they are actually disabled physically by their muscle, it’s a mental conditioning issue. That’s how I see it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:53:19 AM EDT
[#15]
This is definitely a 3:44am thread.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:53:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Mah_lee:
Well, do you?
As in your greater muscle mass slows you down or otherwise inhibits you
The dictionary definition:

1: having some of the muscles tense and enlarged
and of impaired elasticity sometimes as a result of excessive exercise
2: lacking in flexibility : RIGID
View Quote
View Quote

Governor Arnold once pondered this same question back in the early 1980s, and concluded that his flexibility for action-movie roles was not compromised at all.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:57:34 AM EDT
[#17]
I think having flexibility, mobility and agility routines like lateral ladders, carioca sideways runs and plyometric jumps are important additions to your strength regimen.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:01:50 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FMJshooter] [#18]
If you're doing a gallon of test and 15k calories a day you're not going to do well in a wrestling match.

Short of that it's beneficial and will not effect your cardio/flexibility. High intensity lifting improved my cardio more than just running.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:04:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Anything done to extreme excess ends up being bad for you.

But unless you are doing unnatural drugs to promote muscle growth or injure yourself due to carelessness or lack of understanding of how to do it correctly, it is difficult to do too much weight training to the point that it is detrimental.

Put it this way, for any given body size and type it would be better to have the same body weight made up of mostly muscle mass than to be made up of fat.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:05:19 AM EDT
[#20]
I am pretty flexible despite being pretty muscular as well. That said, on the few times a year I go to yoga, there are people who are regular practitioners who are basically contortionists. I would say in general muscle can be constricting in almost any quantity. However, flexibility is not a goal in and of itself, nor should it be.

I don't know how you can actually compare. I would think logically having a greater quantity of tight muscle fiber would restrict your movement, but I am definitely more flexible than a lot of skinnyfat people with zero muscle mass. I would have to compare to myself with no muscle mass, which is not possible.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:10:12 AM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

I would argue that even a natural bodybuilder can be too muscle bound to perform at a high level in golf.

Muscle bound is a reference to performance. Some it’s possible to be too muscle bound.

For 99% of the population it isn’t a concern
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:14:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By VeryAverage:

A couple times in my life, I have worked with some guys who really loved their time in the gym. Extremely dedicated to it, took the supplements and all, and the results definitely showed.

If we were to go to the gym, they would undoubtedly outperform me in every exercise.

It was as if all the muscle they had developed through controlled exercises had either given them a mentality they were so strong they didn’t need to use any technique. They weren’t particularly good at looking at a problem in the real world and determining the best vantage point, the best angles, using leverage or their body weight to their advantage. They would just try to brute force their way through, which of course doesn’t always work with things very heavy or very awkward.

Basically being able to squat 500 pounds in the gym doesn’t frequently translate as a useful life skill as most 500 pound objects don’t have a conveniently shaped and placed handle right in the middle of the load.

It’s not that they are actually disabled physically by their muscle, it’s a mental conditioning issue. That’s how I see it.
View Quote

Probably because your biased against lifting. Or your friends weren't very strong. I've seen guys in the gym for 10 years that never actually progress.

I can guarantee you that pushing 400lb barrels of bait down with a handcart is easier with a 500lbs squat.

Every physical task is easier the stronger you get.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:15:07 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:15:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:21:53 AM EDT
[#26]
It doesn't have to be at most non enhanced levels.  In highschool (wooly mamoths still roamed the earth...) there were linemen that the Coach had to keep on to do lots of stetching to keep their mobility.  Of course at that age they were growing like crazy, so it may have also been adapting to rapid changes, but it was an issue.  But it was also reasonably easy to address with strching and drills.  
on the other hand you have folks like Dr. Mike Israetel (funny and informative) that says he has lost the abikity to do certain variations of lifts because his musckes have gotten too big.  He also openly dicusses using steroids and all sorts of other stuff.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:22:19 AM EDT
[#27]
It’s not about being muscle bound, it’s about utilizing that muscle.

If you train by lifting weights, you’ll have big muscles ….. that are great for lifting weights.

If you train to run, you’ll have great leg, heart and associated muscles, great for running.

If you train to fight, like martial arts, you’ll have great muscles and reflexes to fight.

You train your muscles for the task.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:23:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Tejas1836:

"research has shown that weightlifting itself, with a full range of motion, actually increases flexibility just as well as, or even better than, static stretching."
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:23:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JaredC1] [#29]
Originally Posted By 03RN:

Probably because your biased against lifting. Or your friends weren't very strong. I've seen guys in the gym for 10 years that never actually progress.

I can guarantee you that pushing 400lb barrels of bait down with a handcart is easier with a 500lbs squat.

View All Quotes

Ever see a pro powerlifter or body builder try and swing a golf club?

The problem with questions like this here is everyone speaks in absolutes when there are plenty of exceptions

For 99% of the population they don’t have to worry about being muscle bound and whether it would affect their performance

But it is possible for some people to have an access of muscle hinder them in performance at certain tasks
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

Bullshit, it promotes a specific range of motion. Yoga promotes way more ranges. Stupidest shit I’ve read today.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I’m 65 and weight train three times a week and lift more weight than when I was in my twenties.  I’m not worried about becoming muscle bound.  It ain’t gonna happen.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JET55:

Bullshit, it promotes a specific range of motion. Yoga promotes way more ranges. Stupidest shit I’ve read today.
View All Quotes

https://theabscompany.com/blogs/news/does-weight-lifting-reduce-flexibility#:~:text=A%20recent%20study%20showed%20that,strength%20and%20muscle%20as%20well!
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:29:19 AM EDT
[#33]
But if they learned how to approach and attack the problem in the manner that you do they would likely outperform you?

View Quote

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:33:27 AM EDT
[#34]
And for purposes of this discussion what is considered "musclebound"?

There are certainly scenarios where too much muscle could be an issue as in super advanced BB level muscle,  but I'd rather deal with that than a super advanced level of fat fuck bed ridden fat...

Stronger people are harder to kill in general.  A perfect mix of strength and cardio is best and that is not what I'd envision as "musclebound"
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:34:15 AM EDT
[#35]
It's all about mobility and tendons.  Your body will adapt to what you do most of the time.  If you powerlift or are into bodybuilding, your body adapts to doing those movements only.  So without doing anything else, your body thinks that's all you have to do.  You can be a monster and still be flexible, you just have to work at it.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:36:11 AM EDT
[#36]
The human body is amazing in design.
What you will discover as you build significant muscle mass is that you will not lose flexibility or range of motion *at all* because even as your muscles increase in size the placement of joints and muscles are such that they maintain clearances necessary for full range of motion. God is brilliant. Hit those plates and pack it on.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:37:44 AM EDT
[#37]
The majority of people would benefit greatly from lifting weights regularly and never have to be concerned about becoming "musclebound".
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:38:21 AM EDT
[#38]
This has... ben dun befo.

If you are over 35, anything beyond looking good in a tee shirt is a waste of time or borderline obsessive.

'Looking good' means filling out a size large tee shirt with arms, shoulders, traps and chest/lats and doing that without a gut.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:39:31 AM EDT
[#39]
Cervical arthritis cured my desire to carry more weight than necessary.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:40:26 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JaredC1:

The problem with questions like this here is everyone speaks in absolutes when there are plenty of exceptions

For 99% of the population they don’t have to worry about being muscle bound and whether it would affect their performance

But it is possible for some people to have an access of muscle hinder them in performance at certain tasks
View All Quotes

Actually my mom's boyfriend when I was in high school was a pro natural bodybuilder and an avid golfer.

Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#41]

If you train by lifting weights, you’ll have big muscles ….. that are great for lifting weights.

If you train to run, you’ll have great leg, heart and associated muscles, great for running.

If you train to fight, like martial arts, you’ll have great muscles and reflexes to fight.

View Quote

Lifting weights doesn't limit you to only lifting weights.

But besides that, do all three.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:43:17 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Jarcese:
It's all about mobility and tendons.  Your body will adapt to what you do most of the time.  If you powerlift or are into bodybuilding, your body adapts to doing those movements only.  So without doing anything else, your body thinks that's all you have to do.  You can be a monster and still be flexible, you just have to work at it.
View Quote

That's not true at all
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#43]

View Quote

So by this logic if I lift weights that strength won’t work say when it comes to picking up a person from the ground or say cooler? Your muscles are just like sorry friendo I don’t do that?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:49:13 AM EDT
[#44]
Just my opinion but I think it does limit you as far as the people I see that have large amounts of muscle mass, don’t see them in many sports competitions in world class athletes
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Tom Platz had the biggest legs of his era and could still hang with the mass monster of today. He was extremely flexible.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 9:59:08 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Ever seen a pro golfer bench 500 or squat 600?
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:00:23 AM EDT
[#47]
This thread has extremely low T.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:01:06 AM EDT
[#48]

View Quote

This, ain't happening for save a very few that have freak genetics or drugs.

I think one example is Larry Wheeler, there's a hormone we naturally release that prevents the growth of too much muscle... he lacks it or his body produces very little.  He's probably on gear too, but he'd still be huge without.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:18:09 AM EDT
[#49]
I believe in being in is as decent shape, as much as you can manage at least. Not everyone has the time to or energy to spend every day in the gym, I work out at home and can't even get to it every day.

Being insanely muscle bound isn't an attractive look and it's probably bad for you. Just like eating too much garbage and going the opposite way is bad for you but in a different way. Somewhere in between both extremes is where you should try to be, but genetics plays a big part in that even though there are many here who would disagree.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:20:39 AM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top