New King James Version.
View Quote
This. It's comfortable for me.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:10:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:11:37 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't just read one version.

I read the KJV, NKJV and ESV mainly but sometimes also compare to the NIV and a few other versions.

The Bible hub app is a great resource, but I do keep those in my house and read and compare their translations at times.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DocGlockster:

Link to purchase?

View Quote

@DocGlockster

Amazon, search for James Moffatt Bible
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Mostly NASB and NETS
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:25:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By lowcountry:
I used to have it on my phone, but the notifications bothered me so much I erased it.  Could not seem to turn them off.  

It was nice because any verse I found interesting (reading the KJV) could be changed to several different versions to see If the meanings were different.  

Does anyone have suggestions for a good Bible app?
View Quote

Used to be E-Mmanuel, but I don't think it is available anymore.  Let me look for the APK.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:26:16 PM EDT
[#7]
NKJV
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:27:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Found it - https://m.apkpure.com/e-mmanuel-bible-reader/air.com.venturcon.emmflexlite

The description of e-Mmanuel

e-Mmanuel Bible Reader is a full featured bible study companion for Christians. Take your favourite bible versions with you offline, and read anywhere without the need for a data connection! Developed by a Christian for Christians, here are the main features:
- over 50 bible translations including NKJV, NLT, NIV, Amplified Bible, Hebrew, Greek, Chinese Union Version, Chinese New Version, Arabic, Tamil and many more
- ALL bible versions available for download and access offline
- read two bible versions side-by-side in parallel mode
- exclusive five tabs feature lets you quickly switch between chapters, great for bible studies!
- highlighter and notes function
- hideable notes box to display user notes while you read the bible
- user configurable font size and backgrounds
- bookmarks and history

e-Mmanuel Bible Reader is ad-free and there are no restrictions to usage. If you enjoy e-Mmanuel Bible Reader, consider upgrading to the full e-Mmanuel Bible Reader Plus for these additional features:
- full bible search function
- searchable reference books: Easton's Bible Dictionary, Nave's Topical Bible, Torrey's Topical Textbook
- display Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary in the hideable notes box
- more user customization options

Explanation of Permissions:
Modify or delete the contents of your USB storage - To allow for importing and exporting user data (notes, bookmarks, and highlights)
Full network access - To allow for download of bible translations and updating bibles lists

e-Mmanuel - God is with us, electronically!

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#9]
KJV, NKJV, KJV2016, NASB, and the Apostolic Bible Polyglot mostly.

I don't use one translation exclusively since no language is a one-for-one translation and there's room for interpretation.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:39:09 PM EDT
[#11]
I heard the movie was better
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:41:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Havmal
View Quote
Well, yes, but we're not talking about the Allfather's wisdom in this particular thread.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:43:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By Yoda_USAF:
New King James Version.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:48:58 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:54:11 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm partial to the NASB

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 9:57:13 PM EDT
[#16]
I don't any more, and when I did it was the Old Testament only, and in the original Hebrew
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:08:08 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By operatorerror:
One recent (before the corona thing became a thing) Sunday morning, while en route to the drag strip with a couple of friends,  my hardcore Christian friend took umbrage with my statement that I think the bible is man's interpretation of the word of God and that translation can have an effect.  He was very adamant that he believes that the bible is the literal word of God.  Because he is my friend I couldn't make myself ask him that if it's literally the word of God,  which version was correct.  
View Quote

The originally inspired scriptures are. We have translated those into almost if not every language. And because of the way the scriptures were spread and copied, much like chain block cryptography, the integrity of the scriptures has been pretty much perfectly preserved.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:16:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By eye-gor:
I don't any more, and when I did it was the Old Testament only, and in the original Hebrew
View Quote

You can read ancient Hebrew? Because as I understand it, most Israelis can't even read ancient Hebrew coherently.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:20:10 PM EDT
[#19]
King James.

Specifically, this one:

Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:31:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Any version will do, as long as it has an Nihil Obstat and Imprimatur.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 10:33:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Sartorius:
King James.

Specifically, this one:

https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.org/media/blog/Bible-Scriptures.jpg
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:45:29 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By M16A4:

You can read ancient Hebrew? Because as I understand it, most Israelis can't even read ancient Hebrew coherently.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I don't any more, and when I did it was the Old Testament only, and in the original Hebrew

You can read ancient Hebrew? Because as I understand it, most Israelis can't even read ancient Hebrew coherently.

No one can read it the way it was originally read.  They didn't write vowels.  He is just showing us how arrogant he is.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 8:57:31 AM EDT
[#23]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Biblical Hebrew is to modern Hebrew as to what Middle English is to Modern English. (Kinda)

Modern speakers aren’t going to pick it up and read it with ease, but it’s not like the language is lost. There’s plenty of places where a person can take Biblical Hebrew classes. Shoot, my secular state college offered a class through its classics department.
Link Posted: 5/16/2020 9:08:05 AM EDT
[#24]
Tree of Life

and

The Tanach, Stone and Schottenstien editions.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top