Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/28/2024 6:13:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ef4life]
So I’ve gotten away from leather wallets as I was getting to be George costanza, and settled on these aluminum clad card holders type wallets. I really like the quick access and the fact you cant keep adding junk to it and still close. But they are more built for front pocket wallet people, I keep mine in my back pocket still, and that leads to them breaking every few months, the plastic just doesn’t hold up.

I’d like something solid aluminum with a metal hinge and lock button that will hold up to some abuse. Anyone know of a brand that makes something like that and hopefully not too expensive
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:15:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Its_Raining_Lead] [#1]
But, why? How many ID and cards can you possibly be carrying for a solid metal wallet? I carry one ID, 100 bucks cash in 20s and one credit card.

Wait, you are sitting on a solid aluminum box? What?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:18:16 PM EDT
[#2]
have you given bacon a thought ?

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:27:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Ohiogators] [#3]
Had this one for over 10 years, carried everyday.

Not aluminum though.

Trayvax. Front pocket

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Sitting on a wallet messes up your back. Mine goes in a front pocket or cargo pocket. Been pretty happy with my cheap RFID blocking wallet from Amazon. Holds about a half dozen various cards.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:39:59 PM EDT
[#5]
My local ACE hardware store has those setting by the cash register.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:43:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Just keep thinning out a basic wallet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#7]
That sounds incredibly tacky - like a Velcro wallet.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:49:50 PM EDT
[#8]
I used an old cigarette case as a wallet for awhile when I was a kid. Lost it in a cornfield playing with a dog. Found it 8 months later. It was too corroded for me to use it as a wallet anymore but it kept my cash and cards safe.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 6:53:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Its_Raining_Lead:
But, why? How many ID and cards can you possibly be carrying for a solid metal wallet? I carry one ID, 100 bucks cash in 20s and one credit card.

Wait, you are sitting on a solid aluminum box? What?
View Quote

It’s not what I put in it that breaks them. Just sitting on it bends the useless aluminum Cladding that just adds exterior bulk and eventually the hinge or closure breaks. And sitting on it for me works well because I stuff a large folding knife in my other back pocket, doesn’t bother my back at all that way

Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:52:23 PM EDT
[#10]
It isn't set up like what you're showing but I've used a Ridge aluminum wallet for years.
I recently put it away and went back to a Spec-Ops T.H.E. Jr. nylon wallet that stays reasonably flat for me, but the Ridge works / worked just fine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:39:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: -JC-] [#11]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:55:33 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By MoonDancer:
It isn't set up like what you're showing but I've used a Ridge aluminum wallet for years.
I recently put it away and went back to a Spec-Ops T.H.E. Jr. nylon wallet that stays reasonably flat for me, but the Ridge works / worked just fine.
View Quote

Get that brand and you may be tempted to jump out of a plane after shutting down the engine.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:03:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:34:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Pelican makes something like that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:51:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Advtrbound] [#15]
I'm no help, I couldn't handle a solid metal wallet like that. I use a simple leather minimalist money clip. Holds several cards/ID and up to 30 folded bills.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:29:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By uafgrad:
Ive carried a SCUDO wallet for several years and have been happy with it
Its built like a tank

https://www.scudo-usa.com/
View Quote
This is the one.  The picture of them make them look big, but they are very small.  Plus they are made by Michigan gun works.  The maker of sight pushers.

the engraving options are largely cringeworthy though.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:04:52 AM EDT
[#17]

Still just  2 or 3 bucks a dozen on any office supply shelf.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:48:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mousehunter] [#18]
Originally Posted By Ohiogators:
Had this one for over 10 years, carried everyday.

Not aluminum though.

Trayvax. Front pocket

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/336742/IMG_1818_jpeg-3200704.JPG
View Quote
The original Trayvax 2.0 has an Aluminum front plate and a Stainless Steel back plate.  I guess the issue with the back plate is the money clip - it needs to be springy.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:30:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bro] [#19]
I'm a big fan of the money clamp. Simple, durable, slides easily into a front pocket with minimal bulk.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:45:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:05:13 AM EDT
[#21]
That wallet is the perfect combination of gay and dorky.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:09:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Dango Products has some nice options. I'm carrying a simple Ridge wallet right now. I don't sit on mine so I can't speak to that.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:17:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rob78] [#23]
I don't understand the metal wallet.  Just seems uncomfortable and a quick way to wear out a pants pocket.

A leather minimalist wallet sounds better for you.  It'll give a little and, in my opinion, is more practical than the metal boxes.  Holds more money and has a separate ID window.

I have a Rogue Industries (below).  Made in US. About $40.  Has held up very well for me.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:48:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Not metal.  I’ve been using a Magpul Daka wallet for years
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:16:33 AM EDT
[#25]
After having to get my SI joint reset I started pocket carrying a Secrid aluminum card holder in my front pocket.  I’ve always kept my cash and wallet separate anyway, so it was no big deal.  

Amazon link

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:44:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grey50beast] [#26]
I love my Secrid wallet. It's aluminum with a tab on the bottom that pushes my cards out. Holds 5 card in the slot, and 2 in the leather. If I carry more cash than about 10 bills, it goes in an envelope. Simple, attractive and robust. It was right around $100 and it doesn't look like ass.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:48:27 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By grey50beast:
I love my Secrid wallet. It's aluminum with a tab on the bottom that pushes my cards out. Holds 5 card in the slot, and 2 in the leather. If I carry more cash it goes in an envelope. Simple, attractive and robust. It was right around $100 and it doesn't look like ass.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227817/20240429_084008_jpg-3201080.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227817/20240429_084047_jpg-3201081.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/227817/20240429_084119_jpg-3201082.JPG
View Quote

Came to post this. I only carry the insert, had it about 10 years. Works perfect.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:50:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: grey50beast] [#28]
Originally Posted By ScottsGT:
After having to get my SI joint reset I started pocket carrying a Secrid aluminum card holder in my front pocket.  I’ve always kept my cash and wallet separate anyway, so it was no big deal.  

Amazon link

View Quote

Lol, between you and me we look like we were planted by Secrid. I prefer the leather one to carry at least a little cash, plus I like leather

Eta: damn! Another one haha.

There ya go, OP. You know what to do.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Ridge, front pocket.  

You sit on a metal wallet and a large folding knife?  You're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:57:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:

It’s not what I put in it that breaks them. Just sitting on it bends the useless aluminum Cladding that just adds exterior bulk and eventually the hinge or closure breaks. And sitting on it for me works well because I stuff a large folding knife in my other back pocket, doesn’t bother my back at all that way

https://i.imgur.com/WiWhpXl.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/TQc4SiH.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/JcB0QKz.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/Bu8FME0.jpeg
View Quote

Cheap Chinese trash. Ever hear of the "Boots Theory"?

I know you said "not too expensive", but I'm not sure what that means in this context.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Its built like a tank

View Quote

So far the best option, but I’m not a fan of the opening on the short side like that, if it opened opposite it would have been ordered already.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:50:22 AM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By drew5337:

Ridge, front pocket.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 9:53:43 AM EDT
[#33]
Ridge, front pocket.  

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:05:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Ef4life] [#34]

These are a huge no from me - it’s open, allowing dirt and moisture in, and that’s another reason I’m also done with leather. And not really big enough to put all the receipts in it that I accumulate during work hours

Seriously people doing real work in the hot desert you don’t keep a bunch of bulky shit in your front pockets I don’t sit on my ass all day like a lot of you it seems. The aluminum enclosure keeps the inside dry and clean from dust and sweat.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:08:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Smashy] [#35]
Originally Posted By Ef4life:

These are a huge no from me - it’s open, allowing dirt and moisture in, and that’s another reason I’m also done with leather. And not really big enough to put all the receipts in it that I accumulate during work hours

Seriously people doing real work in the hot desert you don’t keep a bunch of bulky shit in your front pockets I don’t sit on my ass all day like a lot of you it seems. The aluminum enclosure keeps the inside dry and clean from dust and sweat.
View Quote

Sounds like you’re making a lot of assumptions. I’ve been carrying mine for months with none of those issues.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I can carry 6x cards, and $100 in cash and be under 3/8" in a leather wallet

Don't understand guys that carry those boat anchors around.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Austin4130:
I can carry 6x cards, and $100 in cash and be under 3/8" in a leather wallet

Don't understand guys that carry those boat anchors around.
View Quote

Link?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 10:52:30 AM EDT
[#38]
I don’t care what new trends and wallets happen. I will forever be a traditional wallet in the back left pocket. If I change anything it’ll be adding a wallet chain because I’m a trend setter.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:03:23 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By M1Zeppelin:
I don’t care what new trends and wallets happen. I will forever be a traditional wallet in the back left pocket. If I change anything it’ll be adding a wallet chain because I’m a trend setter.
View Quote

Back right is the way. Fight me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:12:09 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By rob78:

View Quote

If right handed back left is proper.  Retrieve from pocket with your left hand and open.  Remove or insert with right hand.

Otherwise you are fumbling it back and forth between hands.

Geez, my Dad taught me that when I was 10 or so.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:13:30 AM EDT
[Last Edit: LoadedDrum] [#41]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By M1Zeppelin:

Perhaps, but the front pocket is harder to pick pocket and I would never be comfortable sitting on my Costanza wallet. I do agree with leather being the way to go.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:15:21 AM EDT
[#42]
Have had a Trayvax for years. Works great.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:18:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Think about what you really use/need and go minimalist.

Magpul DAKA Essential Slim Wallet.  $20 on Amazon.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:30:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SM0KESCREEN] [#44]
Trayvax is what I have.

This is the one I have

They have other options too.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:42:12 AM EDT
[#45]
I feel naked without it

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:59:22 AM EDT
[#46]
I use to use aluminum wallets like OP pictured however they always broke at the hinge.  I switched to a Ridge and haven't looked back...
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#47]
Ridge, front pocket.  

View Quote

Exactly! Who are these idiots who sit on wallets?!
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By thejokker:
I use to use aluminum wallets like OP pictured however they always broke at the hinge.  I switched to a Ridge and haven't looked back...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By thejokker:

which is why i want a solid machine aluminum piece that can handle some abuse

Its built like a tank

So thank you for the link I decided to try one, I’m not really a fan of the hinge on the short side, it seems scudo made a version with the hinge in the long side which would have been amazing. But I decided to try the magneto out anyway as it’s the only thing I could find that’s close. I will post up when it arrives

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:10:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I have tried a few of the minimalist aluminum wallets, Ekster, Secrid, Ridge, another I can't remember the name of, and a few Dango wallets...

Of the Dango wallets, I borrow my cousin's M1 Maverick he picked up at ShotShow, and likely would've stuck with it if it wasn't a loaner.

I also tried the M3? Bifold, it was ~$40 on amazon at the time, but my son snagged it and I wanted a different one.

I settled on the M1 Lite and had them swap the black synthetic to rawhide.  I keep a few bills folded in the recess, 4-5 cards in the main pocket, ID on the back, carry card & insurance on the inside flap.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:18:50 PM EDT
[#50]
I (and my son) both use Trayvax Original 2.0's. Before that, I used their first version.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top