Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/3/2024 9:07:20 PM EDT
Are going to allow the members to decide who to endorse in the upcoming election.

At the very next general membership meeting this month, there will be a vote of the members

The Teamsters already gave 45k to the Republicans earlier this year.

I think it's 3D chess on the new General Presidents part.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:07:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RIP-Yataski:
Interesting...
View Quote

It's not like they have any choice.  If the leadership endorsed FJB, and the membership overwhelmingly supports Trump (they will), it weakens the Teamster leadership and they look like clowns (they are.)  So, they punted.  Makes perfect sense when you think about it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Let's see how fast the Dems turn on them.
Godzilla jap guy - let them fight
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:13:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Democrats have been enjoying those big corporation campaign donations for several years now.  Some of the unions have started paying attention.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:16:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Self driving OTR trucks are coming. That puts the Teamsters in a mighty fine predicament. They need to crawl into bed with someone that isn't fucking them, their sisters, their cousins, the fat trailer park chick down the street (sorry midcap!), and the family dog.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Ronin72:
Self driving OTR trucks are coming. That puts the Teamsters in a mighty fine predicament. They need to crawl into bed with someone that isn't fucking them, their sisters, their cousins, the fat trailer park chick down the street (sorry midcap!), and the family dog.
View Quote

That person is Trump.  He is against EV man dates.  He has told the Teamsters that he will reverse all that faggotry, and undeclare the war on energy.  I believe him.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:31:50 PM EDT
[#8]
View Quote

Very few OTR jobs are teamster jobs.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:36:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Aspida1776:
Let's see how fast the Dems turn on them.
View Quote

Big Tobacco and democrats used to have each other's back until the tobacco companies threw money to Reagan's campaign. Democrats declared war and soon there were smoking bans and lawsuits and all manner of political attacks on smoking.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Lou_Daks:

It's not like they have any choice.  If the leadership endorsed FJB, and the membership overwhelmingly supports Trump (they will), it weakens the Teamster leadership and they look like clowns (they are.)  So, they punted.  Makes perfect sense when you think about it.
View Quote

Kinda agree, kinda don't.

The last time they even looked right was Bush 2000. Members have bitched and moaned since forever.

Even going with Trump, assuming he wins the vote, there will be major bitching. A lot of the internal heavyweights are die hard smelly hippies.

I agree it was smart. Really smart
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:02:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LeadBreakfast] [#11]
Originally Posted By Waldo:

Do you honestly think those endorsements carry any weight with the rank and file (outside of the racial norms)?

I spent my whole working life in one form or another of union gigs. Money talks and nobody ever gave a rat fuck about politics.

Fuck You, Pay Me.  That was it.
View Quote

It absolutely depends on what kind of job you're talking about. Some are rational, as you referenced. Some are simply a modern mafia racket that is a balance of making workers feel empowered while also keeping them in line enough to maintain a stranglehold on jobs and autonomy. In other words, it's good if you get riled up as a part of our cause but don't get out of line otherwise, just shut up, take your pay and be happy your union earned it for you. (Which is absolute bullshit because the union only absorbs funds and reduces output, just being objective here).

ETA: For the record (and I'm sad to say this), I've been both union and non union. Some of the shittiest people I've ever met in my life are union reps and they were supposed to represent me or my group. Not a damn one has ever done what is right, they play both sides, it is a game of follow the money.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:05:40 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Interesting...

Not disagreeing with you, its just surprising that the membership is being given a choice...
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#13]
I know someone in the steamfitters union around the Pittsburgh area that still won't vote R no matter what because his union convinced him that R is bad. We show him about all the other unions flipping but his dumbass group is brain dead.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:19:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lou_Daks] [#14]

Not disagreeing with you, its just surprising that the membership is being given a choice...
View Quote

They've always had a choice (individual Teamster voters), but they've always been prompted by leadership to vote D.  This time, leadership can read the tea leaves and they don't want to be caught stepping on their own schlongs.  Sorry to mix the metaphors.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:26:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Foxtrot08:

View All Quotes

Not to mention self driving OTR trucks are a fantasy.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:47:52 PM EDT
[#16]
"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Soot4Brains:
I know someone in the steamfitters union around the Pittsburgh area that still won't vote R no matter what because his union convinced him that R is bad. We show him about all the other unions flipping but his dumbass group is brain dead.
View Quote

I worked with a guy just like that.   Funny thing is that most of his opinions were pretty conservative.   Brian washing  is real.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:52:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By denverdan:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By denverdan:

Yup.  Trains can’t be trusted to be run without a crew. But people think trucks will be? And trains are on tracks?

Lulz. Okay.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:56:54 PM EDT
[#19]

Yup.  Trains can’t be trusted to be run without a crew. But people think trucks will be? And trains are on tracks?

Lulz. Okay.
View Quote

Exactly. I used to be an OTR guy. Whenever someone brings this nonsense up I just shake my head.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:57:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Too late.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 5:06:52 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By GaryM:
"It's not the people who vote that count, it's the people who count the votes."
View Quote

Every internal vote I've ever seen at 3 different locals are all counted by members, in the room, with everybody who just voted milling around watching.

I'm not saying there probably aren't crooked locals with fuckery, I'm saying I've never seen it
Top Top