Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/4/2019 8:36:39 PM EDT
https://www.foxnews.com/media/neil-degarasse-tyson-slammed-for-tweet-about-mass-shooting-data

Astrophysicist and television personality Dr. Neil deGrasse Tyson sparked backlash for a tweet Sunday he wrote following this weekend's mass shootings in Dayton and El Paso, showing an apparent low death rate when compared with other types of tragedies.

In the tweet, Tyson listed several other means by which Americans perish every 48 hours, and claimed emotion often clouds the facts in situations like these.

"In the past 48hrs, the USA horrifically lost 34 people to mass shootings. On average, across any 48hrs, we also lose… 500 to Medical errors 300 to the Flu 250 to Suicide 200 to Car Accidents 40 to Homicide via Handgun Often our emotions respond more to spectacle than to data," he wrote Sunday.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:40:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Again?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:40:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
At least he got a better title
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:48:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Articles posted with stupid made up titles should be locked and the dupe allowed to run. Stupid bullshit like that is responsible for at least half the dupes around here.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:50:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Articles posted with stupid made up titles should be locked and the dupe allowed to run. Stupid bullshit like that is responsible for at least half the dupes around here.
View Quote
How about a combine option?
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:51:03 PM EDT
[#6]
no one searches, everyone wants to  be noticed by starting a new thread.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:57:56 PM EDT
[#7]
ARFcom rules of dupage #213: If the topic title is not the original article and it's some sort of an assfucked shitstained retarded moronic cutesie topic title it's not a dupe.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 8:59:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
No shit. Maybe the Brownells posse can do something about it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:02:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
If only the search function was worth a shit
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:03:13 PM EDT
[#10]
fuck that POS title.

lock that other thread.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:08:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
fuck that POS title.

lock that other thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
fuck that POS title.

lock that other thread.
Tyson is black science man. Its a meme. And old one and obvious one at that.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:11:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Quoted:

ARFcom rules of dupage #213: If the topic title is not the original article and it's some sort of an assfucked shitstained retarded moronic cutesie topic title it's not a dupe.  
View Quote
Quoted:

fuck that POS title.

lock that other thread.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:12:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:13:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Sometimes science be black.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#15]
I'll vote for this thread.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:14:42 PM EDT
[#16]
His back yard contains more stolen bicycles than there are atoms in the universe.

FACT
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:17:08 PM EDT
[#17]
The scientist is right.
But, waiting till the bodies are cold is generally a good plan when making factually-correct but emotionally-controversial statements.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ain't that the truth.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 9:20:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yep.
Link Posted: 8/4/2019 11:28:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

fuck that POS title.

lock that other thread.
View Quote
+1

I searched for Neil and this came right up
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:28:41 AM EDT
[#21]
On the thread title- I will admit to only knowing the dude from the meme. But I do hate click bait thread titles.

On the tweet- he's 100% right of course, and we need to remind everyone at every opportunity. Of course the average American reacts on feels not facts.

In general- I need to get a Twitter so I can react to shit like this someplace other than ARFCOM
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:31:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 1:35:13 AM EDT
[#23]
And he's absolutely right. Over the same period of time nearly 6 times as many people were killed by automobiles. Why aren't we talking about banning vehicles?
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:06:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Well he's a little off on his 500 deaths figure it's more around 685 deaths per day and that on the low end. The high end is around 1200 per day according to a Johns Hopkins study that claims more than 250,000 people in the U.S. die every year from medical errors. Other reports claim the numbers to be as high as 440,000.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/22/medical-errors-third-leading-cause-of-death-in-america.html

And let's not forget the:

41,000 deaths from 2nd hand smoke
72,000 deaths from opioids
300,000 deaths from obesity
480,000 deaths from smoking
610,000 deaths from heart disease

But lets complain about the what, 11,000 actual gun deaths per year once you subtract the 20,000 plus gun deaths from suicide.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:12:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Homicide: 11,000. Pretty stupid. That lumps justifiable homicides in with the murders. SMRT!
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:12:49 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
fuck that POS title.

lock that other thread.
All true, but that stupidity had no place in a thread title because it obscures any search by a someone beyond the 3rd grade.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:20:40 AM EDT
[#27]
I kinda wonder if he's out of fucks to give since they tried to #metoo him and he survived the mob?
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:24:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Again?
View Quote
He's still right and the other one is locked.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:29:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Don't let facts and reasonable thinking get in the way of a good hysterical episode.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:49:26 AM EDT
[#30]
He already apologized for the tweet anyways...
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:51:19 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
He already apologized for the tweet anyways...
View Quote
Yeah, that is a shame.  The Left has gotten people to the point that they apologize for pointing out facts and the truth.
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:52:13 AM EDT
[#32]
broken clock and such
Link Posted: 8/5/2019 6:54:35 AM EDT
[#33]
Apology below.....

Yesterday, a Tweet I posted in reaction to the horrific mass shootings in America over the previous 48 hours, killing 34 people, spawned mixed and highly critical responses.If you missed it, I offered a short list of  largely preventable causes of death, along with their average two-day death toll in the United States.  They significantly exceeded the death toll from the two days of mass shootings, including the number of people (40) who on average die from handgun homicides every two days.
I then noted that we tend to react emotionally to spectacular incidences of death, with the implication that more common causes of death trigger milder responses within us.
My intent was to offer objectively true information that might help shape conversations and reactions to preventable ways we die.  Where I miscalculated was that I genuinely believed the Tweet would be helpful to anyone trying to save lives in America.  What I learned from the range of reactions is that for many people, some information -my Tweet in particular -- can be true but unhelpful, especially at a time when many people are either still in shock, or trying to heal  or both.
So if you are one of those people, I apologize for not knowing in advance what effect my Tweet could have on you. I am therefore thankful for the candor and depth of critical reactions shared in my Twitter feed. As an educator,  I personally value knowing with precision and accuracy what reaction anything that I say (or write) will instill in my audience, and I got this one wrong.
Respectfully Submitted
Neil deGrasse  Tyson

Basically sorry for saying the facts. Next time I won't say the facts.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 2:15:26 PM EDT
[#34]
I saw another article today that showed lib's responses to his tweets.  It appears his enlightening data dimmed more lights in the libs minds than it brightened.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 3:17:07 PM EDT
[#35]
All I hope is that it leads other prominent people to point out truth in the face of stupidity but I doubt it will.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Still worth it even if a Dupe.

FACTS...

Liberals let FEELZ run their decision-making process...

Odds of being killed by a mass shooter are much less than slipping in your shower or bathtub and dying.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 3:49:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
And he's absolutely right. Over the same period of time nearly 6 times as many people were killed by automobiles. Why aren't we talking about banning vehicles?
View Quote
Not just that time period by every time period since then, however no new mass shootings since then. That's the real kicker.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 3:52:25 PM EDT
[#38]
I've read somewhere else that he got #meetoo-d and that might have something to do with him getting his head partially out of his ass.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 3:57:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:10:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Well, people are working on it. A lot of ARFCOMers are excited about it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:15:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:21:28 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I'll vote for this thread.
View Quote
IBTP...
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:44:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:47:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Correct,  no dupe!

Post whore anyway...

Link Posted: 8/11/2019 8:56:25 PM EDT
[#45]
Knowledge does not equal intelligence.

Never, ever, forget this.
Link Posted: 8/12/2019 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#46]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

fuck that POS title.

lock that other thread.
https://i.imgur.com/hKpcc1M.png
Agree with all.  Fucktarded titles should be locked.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top