Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: Yesterday 3:45:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rogue7]
I don't know why but drivers were extra stupid today. Felt like I was in Death Race 2000. I've been putting off buying one for years, but I'm ready to bite the bullet.

I'd like one in each vehicle but I can't afford two expensive ones, I don't drive on a daily basis anymore, so I don't feel like I need top of the line. There are several on Amazon for around a hundred bucks or under, I'm hoping someone has experience with a cheaper one. Thanks.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:51:11 PM EDT
[#1]
same need one bad, but there are so many options and many reviews are fake these days.

I'm inclined to buy one with a sony starvis ( or whatever the name is ) cmos sensor
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:52:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FuriousYachtsman] [#2]
Garmin Mini 2 is well liked, unobtrusive and regularly on sale for $99-130.

The mini 3 is out now too.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:53:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thinkware Easy to install. I've got a forward and rear facing camera.
Link Posted: Yesterday 3:55:14 PM EDT
[#4]
While not as convenient, there are apps that allow your phone to double as a dash cam using both cams.  You would just need a windshield mount and you'd have to enable it everytime you get into your vehicle.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:00:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FuriousYachtsman:

View Quote

I have the mini 2 as well - I ordered an adapter so it gets power from my f150's rearview mirror.

I don't even know its there.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:04:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve been using an Apeman C450, <$50, for about 2 years.  Works fine.  Having a card reader in the vehicle would be helpful if you needed to share video from your phone.

I bought the thing because of all the insanity I was witnessing on the road.  People are still acting foolish out there but the camera might be something of a talisman as it seems way less bs coming my way.

Link Posted: Yesterday 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I've heard stories of the Garmin ones failing since they use lithium-ion batteries and not the "super-capacitors" found in other models. No personal experience myself so YMMW. I have a nice one that costs quite a bit, but I've heard decent things about the Rexing and VIOFO models.
There are some good comparison videos on YouTube. Some may have features that you find more useful than others, so I would take the time to watch one of those and find one that suits you best. You really want to have front and rear facing cameras, but interior cameras are highly unnecessary unless you drive Uber or similar.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:04:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Baddy] [#8]
I just bought a Viofo A119 Mini 2 to replace an older Aukey cam which started flaking out after 5 years of service.

The Viofo has been great so far, and has plenty of features and good resolution for it's ~$115 (after coupon) price.

Highly recommend paying the few bucks extra to get a hardwire kit for any cam that you buy. My cam is tucked up at the top of the windshield and hardwired into the fuse panel. Super low profile, hardly noticeable from inside or outside, and generally slicker looking than suction cupping it to the middle of the windshield and dangling wire to the cigarette lighter.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:05:21 PM EDT
[#9]
I run a FitcamX in my 4 Runner.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:05:34 PM EDT
[#10]
If you feel like you're a victim in Death Race 2000, you're probably not driving agressively enough.
They can'd hit you if they are so far behind that they can't reach you.

I've had good luck with 3 Rexing cameras in 3 cars. They were inexpensive and put out good video.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I have some viofo variant that seems well enough
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:06:07 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote
I like that, but I'd prefer front and rear cameras. Does anyone make a F/R that's all in one unit? If so I haven't found one yet.
Originally Posted By kevins_garage:
While not as convenient, there are apps that allow your phone to double as a dash cam using both cams.  You would just need a windshield mount and you'd have to enable it everytime you get into your vehicle.
View Quote
I'm not sure my old iPhone SE has enough memory to run as a cam, or that would be an option.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:07:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I'm using this, happy enough with it and affordable

Dashcam
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:13:31 PM EDT
[#14]
I've been using a cheap $40 IZeeker dash cam for years. Footage is clear enough to read license plates from a ways off. I bought it figuring I wouldn't care when somebody broke into my car and stole it.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:13:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By PacificNic:
I've heard stories of the Garmin ones failing since they use lithium-ion batteries and not the "super-capacitors" found in other models. No personal experience myself so YMMW.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:23:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By apierce918:
View Quote

same, I have the A119.  works great.  

if I were buying another I'd think about the garmin or a better viofo b/c the A119 needs to be connect to a pc to view.

could be useful to have access to videos on the spot to show a cop to ensure someone gets ticketed for insurance purposes.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:26:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By loudnproud:
I've been using a cheap $40 IZeeker dash cam for years. Footage is clear enough to read license plates from a ways off. I bought it figuring I wouldn't care when somebody broke into my car and stole it.
View Quote

I picked one up, and to my surprise it uses a Sony lens. Also wasn't made in China
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:27:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Wife has the garmin mini 2 and I just got the mini 3. Only problem I had with the mini 2 is it not connecting with my WiFi sometimes.  
Had the mini 3 for a month now and it’s been doing what it should.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:36:29 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By DV8EDD:

if I were buying another I'd think about the garmin or a better viofo b/c the A119 needs to be connect to a pc to view.

could be useful to have access to videos on the spot to show a cop to ensure someone gets ticketed for insurance purposes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By apierce918:

I agree, this is critical for the reason you mention. It also makes grabbing funny/crazy videos to show to the wife much easier.  

Just hit wifi button on the cam, open the app, select clip in the app, and download. Viofo A119 MINI 2 (and others like the A129/229) have the wifi to support this, while the OG "A119v3" doesn't.

OP, make sure you buy one with wifi if you want this feature.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:45:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Front and rear cameras as well as the ability to grab clips from your phone are key features.

I have a Blackvue but they seem to be a higher priced unit than some.

Some recent incidents have me thinking about an inexpensive unit for interior audio and video.  Does not have to record all the time, but an easy button press to trigger.

The psycho cyclist thread where he got his bike all up inside the open car door and grabbed at driver got me thinking about it again.  Makes a great tool for showing why you had to hose someone down with OC or draw down on them.

Link Posted: Yesterday 4:48:50 PM EDT
[#21]
This one works good and is budget friendly, $89 and there is a -$20 coupon

Amazon Product
  • \u3010Dash Cam Front and Rear\u3011The OMBAR DC42 dual dash cam can record videos in front UHD 4K (3840*2160P -170\u00b0 wide angle), and rear FHD 1080P (1920*1080P-150\u00b0 wide angle) resolution, clearly capturing license plates and road signs. You can switch to front view in 4K, 2K or 1080P. Front dashcam can be used alone. Note: Do not plug or unplug the rear camera during use, disconnect the dashcam's power first before operating.

Link Posted: Yesterday 4:49:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Cobalt135:
Front and rear cameras as well as the ability to grab clips from your phone are key features.

I have a Blackvue but they seem to be a higher priced unit than some.

Some recent incidents have me thinking about an inexpensive unit for interior audio and video.  Does not have to record all the time, but an easy button press to trigger.

The psycho cyclist thread where he got his bike all up inside the open car door and grabbed at driver got me thinking about it again.  Makes a great tool for showing why you had to hose someone down with OC or draw down on them.

View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:49:34 PM EDT
[#23]
I don't know why but drivers today and far more aggressive then yesteryear. I have thought about a dashcam so many times and then something happened. My car I love got old and I want to keep it. So much so I maintained it myself and make an effort to keep it going. That alone has caused me to drive like "Grandma". It made me realize that I was also an aggressive driver. It seems to be a competition out there. Once I backed off I can sense the aggressive drivers and play with them while driving like "Grandma". When I get a tailgater I feather my peddle. I will go five below the speed limit and when they approach my bumper I speed up to the speed limit then coast to five below the speed limit. Lather, Rinse, Repeat. Another thing I do is talk to someone. I will talk sing to my music or talk to my gf in the passenger seat and ignore the person. I act oblivious yet I know they are road raging. It's actually made driving more enjoyable. Once I did all that, I no longer need a dash cam. I understand the lunacy on the roads as my State has more traffic deaths this year then in past years. Yet, I feel more in control of my driving and the yahoos around then ever before.

With that said I have held up my phone and videoed drivers in plain site of what I was doing to get them to back off while signaling I'm dialing 9-1-1 so I get it.
Link Posted: Yesterday 4:58:18 PM EDT
[#24]
What kind of cars? There are dash cams that integrate with your rear view mirror and you tap the power off of your rear view mirror. No running of wires and you simply swap a trim piece.

I have a Fit Cam X in my audi:

https://fitcamx.com/

sample of the video quality:

Link Posted: Yesterday 5:33:58 PM EDT
[#25]
My wife has a garmin mini....seems to work pretty well
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:41:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By JLAudio:
What kind of cars? There are dash cams that integrate with your rear view mirror and you tap the power off of your rear view mirror. No running of wires and you simply swap a trim piece.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPve7B9M7gY
View Quote
Toyota Corolla and Tacoma. No power to either mirror.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:45:39 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm rolling a Garmin Mini 2 and it is very average.

Video quality is okay, but it is a pain to connect to at times and retrieving video can be difficult.

I'll be upgrading soon.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:53:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Serious question for those with dashcams.  Why don’t feel the need to have them?  Have any of you that own one ever needed the footage to help with an insurance or ticket claim?  I would think it’d pretty easy to tell who was at fault for accidents in most cases.  I can’t see it helping if the other driver doesn’t have insurance.  I just don’t see the need for one and would rather put the money towards insurance.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:57:37 PM EDT
[#29]

View Quote

i have a mini2.
Link Posted: Yesterday 5:59:15 PM EDT
[#30]
Garmin Mini
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:00:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Thinkware.   I have front/rear cams installed on 3 vehicles.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:02:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By Ilikepieman:
Serious question for those with dashcams.  Why don’t feel the need to have them?  Have any of you that own one ever needed the footage to help with an insurance or ticket claim?  I would think it’d pretty easy to tell who was at fault for accidents in most cases.  I can’t see it helping if the other driver doesn’t have insurance.  I just don’t see the need for one and would rather put the money towards insurance.
View Quote

That was only choice anyone had until recently.

Determining fault is tough when everyone lies.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#33]
Viofo A139 Pro. Has front and rear camera, the latest tech and low profile. love it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BJ6HH96P?tag=arfcom00-20
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:09:56 PM EDT
[#34]

View Quote

I like the mini 2.

Deer?  Not so much

GRMN 2024 09 26 06 52 44 exportedVideo
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:11:07 PM EDT
[#35]
View Quote

Its an objective eyewitness to hold people accountable.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#36]
View Quote

Daughter got backed into by another car at the school parking lot.  Other driver claimed she was backing but showed the video to insurance and it was shown to clearly be the other driver's fault.

$150 for the cam paid for itself several times over that day.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:15:16 PM EDT
[#37]

View Quote

I've had dashcams for many years and been in a few accidents.  I've never once had a cop ask to see my dashcam.  I've never had a cop that would view my dashcam if I offered.  I've never had a cop ticket someone if they decided not to.  I've even opened my phone cam and started videoing the scene while asking the cop why the other party wasn't being ticketed because they were at fault or had no valid insurance, etc...). Every time, the cop has said he doesn't care and it's his discretion as to whether they ticket or not.  I was even rear ended by a driver that had a suspended license and no insurance and all the mi state trooper would do was impound/tow the other drivers vehicle - no tickets were issued.  YMMV.

Anyway, my dashcams have microsd cards that I can pop out and put in my phone to view on the spot anyway.  So wifi isn't an actual necessity to access videos.
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:34:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By kevins_garage:

I've had dashcams for many years and been in a few accidents.  I've never once had a cop ask to see my dashcam.  I've never had a cop that would view my dashcam if I offered.  I've never had a cop ticket someone if they decided not to.  I've even opened my phone cam and started videoing the scene while asking the cop why the other party wasn't being ticketed because they were at fault or had no valid insurance, etc...). Every time, the cop has said he doesn't care and it's his discretion as to whether they ticket or not.  I was even rear ended by a driver that had a suspended license and no insurance and all the mi state trooper would do was impound/tow the other drivers vehicle - no tickets were issued.  YMMV.

Anyway, my dashcams have microsd cards that I can pop out and put in my phone to view on the spot anyway.  So wifi isn't an actual necessity to access videos.
View Quote

This is why I don’t see the need for them.  The chance that anyone gives a shit what you caught on video or that it would change the outcome is not worth the cost to me.  I bet you have a better chance and making money on viral video you happen to catch vs it saving you money in an accident/insurance situation.  
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#39]
Waiting for a Black Friday sale on the Garmin Mini 3…
Link Posted: Yesterday 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:12:54 PM EDT
[#41]

View All Quotes

This.

My last accident was a fender bender where an old lady pulled out of a pull-off into the rear side of my car as I was driving by.

She was so old and incapable of driving that I had to help guide her off the road, while doing so she drove onto the curb and almost ran over me (I should have not tried to be nice, and just stayed in my car.)

She then proceeded to blame me to the cop and her insurance by saying I “drove too close to her.”

Luckily for me the damage made it crystal clear who was at fault.

Bottom line, most people, even little old ladies, are not honest when faced with real consequences for their actions, a dashcam is cheap insurance against liars.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:18:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Serious question for those with dashcams.  Why don't feel the need to have them?  Have any of you that own one ever needed the footage to help with an insurance or ticket claim?  I would think it'd pretty easy to tell who was at fault for accidents in most cases.  I can't see it helping if the other driver doesn't have insurance.  I just don't see the need for one and would rather put the money towards insurance.
View Quote
Because people lie, and people scam, and I dont want to get fucked. That simple. Why would you waste your money paying for insurance, when you wouldnt spend a little extra to protect your insurance?

Link Posted: Yesterday 7:34:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Rogue7:
I don't know why but drivers were extra stupid today. Felt like I was in Death Race 2000. I've been putting off buying one for years, but I'm ready to bite the bullet.

I'd like one in each vehicle but I can't afford two expensive ones, I don't drive on a daily basis anymore, so I don't feel like I need top of the line. There are several on Amazon for around a hundred bucks or under, I'm hoping someone has experience with a cheaper one. Thanks.
View Quote

If I lived in a heavily congested area, I would go with a cell enabled pair of cams.
I would want the footage to get uploaded based off vehicle telemetry. I.E. hard braking, speeding, stuff like that.  

Screw trying to deal with moving videos from card to PC or cell to PC.
Download it straight to PC over a browser.

You can also let any insurance or LEO access as you see fit.

I know inexpensive systems like this
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:40:29 PM EDT
[#44]
I have a mini 2, but need to read the manual on how to save videos and what the buttons do.  

i always wanted one so i got it for $99 when someone posted it, took it with to Florida for the rental car.

now it's in my truck.
Link Posted: Yesterday 7:45:39 PM EDT
[#45]
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JLAudio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPve7B9M7gY

I used a Dongar adapter to pull power from a five pin connector above the mirror.

https://www.amazon.com/stores/DongarTechnologies/page/5C870FDB-E267-4797-A007-765D3953AA7C
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:29:37 PM EDT
[#46]
Viofo for everything. I have two front and rear facing cams in both my personal vehicles. A front only in my wifes (soon to be my sons vehicle (15.5 yo)). Once my wife gets a new vehicle she will be getting a front/rear facing camera. Life is too short to be cheap. Viofo is only 130 bucks for both cameras. Also works with wifi, easy peasy!!!
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:40:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BloodRaven] [#47]
View All Quotes

Shit happens when you're parked, too. I have a forward and a rearward camera. I also bought dashcams for my sister and my niece.

And that money you spend on a dashcam that you'd rather put towards insurance...it's a 1-time cost. Plus a decent one is rather inexpensive.

Originally Posted By TruckinAR:

If I lived in a heavily congested area, I would go with a cell enabled pair of cams.
I would want the footage to get uploaded based off vehicle telemetry. I.E. hard braking, speeding, stuff like that.  

Screw trying to deal with moving videos from card to PC or cell to PC.
Download it straight to PC over a browser.

You can also let any insurance or LEO access as you see fit.

I know inexpensive systems like this

I can connect directly to my dashcams with my phone. I can bring up any video (it saves in 1-minute increments) and save it to my phone. And if it detects an accident, the video for that minute is locked and can't be overwritten, only deleted manually.
Link Posted: Yesterday 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#48]
i've used viofo for about 6 years and i'm happy with them. i had one burn out it's rear cam somehow that they replaced promptly. i always run capacitor models.

Amazon Product
  • \u30102K 60fps+1080P 30fps Dual Dash Cam\u3011A129 Plus Duo dash cam is the upgraded version of A129 Duo, front and rear dash camera shots road ahead at 2560*1440P 60fps and road behind at 1080P 30fps at the same time. Much more details can be easily captured including license plate and signpost. 140\u00b0 wide angle is enough to cover the whole road and will not distort the image.

Link Posted: Yesterday 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Go to ebay, they have some nice mount over mirror models that were used in fleet vehicles for about $30 each
Link Posted: Yesterday 9:07:31 PM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

It's often not easy to determine fault. Cop has no way to know who ran a red light unless witnesses stop. People rear end someone and tryto claim the other person backed into them. I got rear ended by someone who lied and said a 3rd vehicle pushed him into me (he got away with it).  Lane violations are hard to determine.

I know all this and still don't have dashcams. I drive like a bat out of hell and stay hyper attentive, which seems to avoid most trouble.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top