[#1]
Delayed until October of next year.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:26:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Damn you Wiki.   I  had a full on chubber.

Seriously?
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:28:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
View Quote

Covid is real!...
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:28:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Are we still only at the one trailer?
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:30:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Your shit and piss are processed in the thigh pads!
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:31:06 PM EDT
[#6]
They’ve got big shoes to fill.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#7]
My body was ready!
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:33:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

If done right it will be among the top epic science fiction films in existence.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

If done wrong it will be just like the other 5 attempts
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:36:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

If they do it right the director might not desperately try to scrub his name from it.  
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:37:37 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
My body was ready!
View Quote

Me too.   Wanna bone?
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:40:10 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Me too.   Wanna bone?
View Quote

How do you look in a stilsuit?
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:49:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:51:10 PM EDT
[#14]
EON- The Spice Must Flow 1991
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:51:50 PM EDT
[#15]
I woulda gone to the  theaters to see that
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:52:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

How do you look in a stilsuit?
View Quote

All the fluids are recycled you know.
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 10:59:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Welcome to Larrytown
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:08:56 PM EDT
[#18]
How did they get the rights to cover Pink Floyd's Eclipse from DSTOM?

I'm IN!

ETA: Sofa King IN!

ONLY! If they don't fuck it up like the others.......
Link Posted: 11/23/2020 11:11:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.

Although, to be honest - the book really isn't that great.   The overall story is good, most characters are good... it's the execution that's not so great.

It starts out fantastic -   the young prince of a great house in mortal conflict with a twisted enemy, a new planet with hidden dangers.

Then at some point, Herbert got swept up in the whole late 60's "Islam is cool" trend, and decides to turn Paul into the 2nd coming of Moses or whatever.    

So the last 1/4 or so of the book is a big leap forward - Paul is no longer the young man who has to prove himself to his new tribe; he's now the fucking Messiah.    Suddenly, the new sand Jesus and his simple desert people morph into a mighty Jihad who overcome the Imperial forces and seize not only the planet, but the entire Empire.    All because they control the magic spice.

IMO, Herbert should never have written the sequels (which are progressively worse - by the time the reader gets to Chapterhouse Dune, a guy feels like he's been locked in a nunnery and forced to read Italian opera scripts).   He should have turned the first novel into a trilogy, and taken more time to develop all the crap that happens in the last couple chapters of Dune.

Plus, really? If the damn spice was the key to all power in the galaxy, wouldn't the Emperor control it directly?  Perhaps using his legions to secure and protect the hoard?   And not leave it in the hands of the obviously devious Harkonnens or the honorable-yet-inept Ned Stark Duke Leto?

After carefully re-reading the book recently, I think the problem is - Herbert didn't start out with the intention of making the spice the equivalent of The Force... he just ended up there as a result of the acid trip orgies that spring forth in the 2nd half.

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:01:59 AM EDT
[#20]
Saw this at Target 9 days ago on a clearance rack on the back wall.

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:24:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31480/205669B9-6997-4E84-ABA2-D393D33A62C7-1699061.jpg
View Quote

Dud(n)e.

I want that.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:25:07 AM EDT
[#22]
It better be epic.  2020 has sucked for movies.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 12:28:52 AM EDT
[#23]

That brings back some memories.   Holy shit I forgot it existed.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 4:02:02 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Damn you Wiki.   I  had a full on chubber.

Seriously?
View Quote

https://www.ew.com/movies/dune-delayed-2021
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 4:06:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 4:07:11 AM EDT
[#26]
Man, this feels like a big screen movie!
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 5:57:35 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Yep.

Although, to be honest - the book really isn't that great.   The overall story is good, most characters are good... it's the execution that's not so great.

It starts out fantastic -   the young prince of a great house in mortal conflict with a twisted enemy, a new planet with hidden dangers.

Then at some point, Herbert got swept up in the whole late 60's "Islam is cool" trend, and decides to turn Paul into the 2nd coming of Moses or whatever.    

So the last 1/4 or so of the book is a big leap forward - Paul is no longer the young man who has to prove himself to his new tribe; he's now the fucking Messiah.    Suddenly, the new sand Jesus and his simple desert people morph into a mighty Jihad who overcome the Imperial forces and seize not only the planet, but the entire Empire.    All because they control the magic spice.

IMO, Herbert should never have written the sequels (which are progressively worse - by the time the reader gets to Chapterhouse Dune, a guy feels like he's been locked in a nunnery and forced to read Italian opera scripts).   He should have turned the first novel into a trilogy, and taken more time to develop all the crap that happens in the last couple chapters of Dune.

Plus, really? If the damn spice was the key to all power in the galaxy, wouldn't the Emperor control it directly?  Perhaps using his legions to secure and protect the hoard?   And not leave it in the hands of the obviously devious Harkonnens or the honorable-yet-inept Ned Stark Duke Leto?

After carefully re-reading the book recently, I think the problem is - Herbert didn't start out with the intention of making the spice the equivalent of The Force... he just ended up there as a result of the acid trip orgies that spring forth in the 2nd half.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:26:47 AM EDT
[#28]
Another attempt at Dune.  It’s like another attempt at a blowjob from a girl you know won’t you cum in her mouth.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 6:33:50 AM EDT
[#29]
I’m looking forward to it and very rarely ever go to a theater to see a movie but I might just need to for this one.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 7:47:58 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

Duncan’s a... a... ho?
Tell me... tell me... it’s not so!
Fuck “woke” with a worm!!
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 9:23:42 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Yep.

Then at some point, Herbert got swept up in the whole late 60's "Islam is cool" trend, and decides to turn Paul into the 2nd coming of Moses or whatever.    That was always coming, throughout the book. The "Islamic" references do not glorify Islam, it gives the desert people some of their mystery and culture, which from a historical perspective is appropriate to their situation.

So the last 1/4 or so of the book is a big leap forward - Paul is no longer the young man who has to prove himself to his new tribe; he's now the fucking Messiah.    Suddenly, the new sand Jesus and his simple desert people morph into a mighty Jihad who overcome the Imperial forces and seize not only the planet, but the entire Empire.    All because they control the magic spice. Paul unifies the tribes, that is what allows them to seize the planet. Intra-Fremen violence and seitch-by-seitch leadership held the Fremen down. A total ability and willingness to destroy the spice handed Paul the Empire. It was not that spice was magic, it was that the spice was the key to interstellar travel.

IMO, Herbert should never have written the sequels (which are progressively worse - by the time the reader gets to Chapterhouse Dune, a guy feels like he's been locked in a nunnery and forced to read Italian opera scripts).   He should have turned the first novel into a trilogy, and taken more time to develop all the crap that happens in the last couple chapters of Dune.  Oh yeah. The sequels and all the other stories are pretty terrible. Dune is the exemplar example of a great sci-fi book, and a terrible sci-fi series.

Plus, really? If the damn spice was the key to all power in the galaxy, wouldn't the Emperor control it directly?  Perhaps using his legions to secure and protect the hoard?   And not leave it in the hands of the obviously devious Harkonnens or the honorable-yet-inept Ned Stark Duke Leto? The Emperor was not the only power, his martial forces were only the equivalent to the nobility of the Landsraad. The political power was a tripod, consisting of the Emperor, Landsraad, and the Spacing Guild. The Guild had the monopoly on space travel, and was totally unwilling to control spice mining directly. The Guild made military transport extraordinarily expensive, and that was Duke Leto's real error in calculation. While he planned for a Harkonnen attack, even one that leveraged Imperial Sardukar, neither he nor his advisors imagined that the Baron would be willing to spend the equivalent of 80 years maximum spice production of wealth on a military expedition. The Guild lowered military transport cost to almost nothing in order to bring maximum power against Paul & the Fremen at the end of the book, but it was Paul's physical seizure of the Emporer and fully-enabled threat to destory the spice that caused the Guild to remove all military forces from Arrakis, handing Paul the victory and the Empire. The responsibility and reward for spice production was rotating around the noble families because the Guild wanted it that way.

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:23:54 AM EDT
[#32]

One of my faves for sure.
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 10:27:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/31480/205669B9-6997-4E84-ABA2-D393D33A62C7-1699061.jpg
View Quote

Cod Piece?
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:45:22 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Welcome to Larrytown
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome to Larrytown

Muadib’ahhhhh
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 11:58:56 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

I'm thinking it looks like someone finally did it right. By right there appears to be no Sting campiness, Hell, there appears to be no campiness at all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top