Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/29/2024 1:49:24 AM EDT
Europe sucks.

https://www.foxnews.com/world/eu-requires-cars-come-tech-slows-cars-speeding-uk-opts-out

All new cars and trucks sold within the European Union and Northern Ireland after July 6, 2024, will be mandated to have safety technology activated to let drivers know they are speeding by beeping, vibrating or even slowing the vehicle down, to prevent car crashes.

The United Kingdom has chosen not to require intelligent speed assistance (ISA) to be used on its roads, though the safety feature will still be installed on vehicles and drivers will have the option to activate the technology each day.

ISA technology uses a camera on the front of the vehicle that can read speed limit signs. The information from the signs, along with GPS mapping data in the vehicle’s software, help the car with knowing which speed limit is in place where the vehicle is traveling.

Once the driver breaks the speed limit, ISA will either beep or vibrate the speed limit to let the driver know they are speeding.

If the driver does not slow down, the technology will then take over and reduce the speed of the vehicle to the posted speed limit.

The Telegraph reported that Ford and other manufacturers have been offering ISA as an option since 2015, and since 2022, all new cars in Europe have required ISA to be installed.

The European Transport Safety Council estimates that ISA will reduce collisions by 30% and deaths by 20%.

According to the safety council’s website, the technology will also help drivers avoid speeding tickets.

Leeds University said in a study that the U.K. could see a 12% decline in injuries caused by vehicle crashes, with ISA in place.

The European Union moved to require vehicles to have ISA technology in 2018.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:52:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:54:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Coming to the USA soon.   You can bet on it.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 1:57:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By resuscitati:
View Quote

Nope.  Tickets are big business.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:12:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:13:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ske714:

View Quote

The assholes here will take it a step farther and send you a ticket for speeding for the speed before the car slows down.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:25:33 AM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Originally Posted By NEShooter53:

The assholes here will take it a step farther and send you a ticket for speeding for the speed before the car slows down.
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 2:26:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Rush - Red Barchetta (Live (1981/Canada)
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:20:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: lmeadows00] [#8]
View Quote

It’s already here, commercial trucking companies are restricting speed. Just a matter of time until it’s on all vehicles.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:40:04 AM EDT
[#9]
I wonder how good the speed limit sign parsing is going to be.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 3:41:51 AM EDT
[#10]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

What ticket? You'll get home and discover the fine amount already deducted from your account.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:18:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:35:46 AM EDT
[#12]
View Quote
2026 models will have it IIRC
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 4:39:02 AM EDT
[#13]
I always marveled at how driving evolved over time and how the government of today would have never allowed it. They're slowly doing away with it and eventually we'll all be forced to use communal vehicles that are operated by AI.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 5:08:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: WoodHeat] [#14]
Give it a few years and they will be raising taxes to make up for the lost ticket revenue.

What happens when passing? Half way through it slows you down?

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:12:09 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Mike327:
I wonder how good the speed limit sign parsing is going to be.
View Quote

Works great until it doesn't, like when a sign is obscured by a semi or a bus.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:13:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Can't slow my car if I delete the brake lines.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:14:01 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Scott-S6] [#17]
Originally Posted By WoodHeat:
What happens when passing? Half way through it slows you down?

View Quote

Passing doesn't allow you to break the speed limit, you can still get a ticket for that. But yes. What could go wrong?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:15:07 AM EDT
[#18]
Fuck that nonsense.

Same nanny state faggotry as the damned seat belt alarm.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:23:47 AM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Gotta generate that revenue. Must fill the coffers.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:27:26 AM EDT
[#20]
Japan has had warning chimes and buzzers forever.

I don’t want a speed nanny in my autos and I don’t ever go that fast.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:27:55 AM EDT
[#21]
uses a camera and GPS mapping...huummmm

So what happens if the camera sees no speed limit signs and you are in a canyon and the GPS doesn't have a signal?

or maybe the camera doesn't see anything at all because of the spray paint on the lens and the GPS for some crazy reason doesn't get a fix because the antenna is being blocked by aluminum tape?

asking for a friend.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:32:39 AM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By NEShooter53:

View Quote
How does this work?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:39:20 AM EDT
[#23]
The technology already exists. It’s been in cars for nearly a decade in the USA minus the automatic slowing. The systems are pretty accurate at reading speeds. Although we do get complaints every now and then when a highway number is mistaken for a speed limit sign.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:39:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By lmeadows00:

It’s already here, commercial trucking companies are restricting speed. Just a matter of time until it’s on all vehicles.
View Quote

Is that why trucks going 65.2 mph block the left lane while passing a truck going 65? 😀
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:40:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CarmelBytheSea] [#25]
EV I drove last week had all kinds of “safety” measures so I can only imagine the potential
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:49:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: JTHM242] [#26]
Originally Posted By Steel-Driver-76:

Is that why trucks going 65.2 mph block the left lane while passing a truck going 65? 😀
View Quote

Yes, we do get 20 minutes of +2 mph each day over our 65 limiter.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:52:12 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By JTHM242:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By JTHM242:
Originally Posted By Steel-Driver-76:

So like, one pass?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:55:50 AM EDT
[#28]
The speed limit on a road here was raised from 45 to 55 two years ago.  Waze still shows the speed limit as 45.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 6:57:05 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By sixnine:
I always marveled at how driving evolved over time and how the government of today would have never allowed it. They're slowly doing away with it and eventually we'll all be forced to stay locked in our government provided hive pods unless allowed out with a high enough social credit score to labor on the collective farm within walking distance of our worker's paradise apartment building.  use communal vehicles that are operated by AI.
View Quote

@sixnine just a small tweak.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:07:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: phatmax] [#30]
Originally Posted By madmathew:
How does this work?
View Quote

It would be pretty easy to mandate an OBD2 dongle that is GPS connected and required to be operating to allow the car to start. Probably even a pretty simple way to make it reverse compatible with any OBD2 equipped car.

Make it as bad or worse than a DUI to be caught driving without on. Instant license suspension or even car impounding.

Require the driver to connect dongle to app on phone, again car won't start unless connected, and like Waze, would have a GPS map database with speed limits and a connection to your debit card.

Instant fines for speeding, with a friendly popup notification.  Sliding scale for infractions and the ability to shut the car down via the dongle for nonpayment or infraction number or severity.

ETA: this is likely already in the works in some format thanks to the IDIOTS that wanted to save money with their car insurance companies with their "safe driver" apps and devices that track your physical driving parameters like speed, acceleration, braking, and turning forces.

I guarantee that they have been compiling this data and sending it to the NHTSA and other government entities to build a picture of "bad" driving habits that must be weeded out via behavior modification and/or punishment.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

What do you think EV’s are all about.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:11:30 AM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

They can pry it from my heavy right foot .
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:11:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: haveTwo] [#33]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPKGbg16ulU
View Quote

Seems like all car reviews these days gush over the fancy tech.  I didn't buy a fancy truck, and even my bike is simple.  Shame Matt people are suckered in by putting complicated technology over simple and reliable.

Edit for inability to use fancy tech like a phone and spell correctly.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:14:52 AM EDT
[#34]
The government is wise. The government knows what is best...

...for you
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:24:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Starting next model year we get mandatory DUI detection equipment in vehicles. It’s not like we’re really any better off.

I’m just going to keep my “old 2018” and pass on the electronic nanny BS.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By lmeadows00:

View Quote

Restricting speed on big trucks saves big money on fuel and brake cost. The fleet I was in years ago did an experiment with governed and ungoverned trucks. Brake life went up by a factor of 3 times longer on the governed trucks .not to mention fuel mileage averaged a little over 2 mpg higher on the governed trucks. That is real money when spread across thousands of trucks .
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:27:41 AM EDT
[#37]
Yeah, the communists love themselves some massive nanny government. It's not about safety. Like everything else they want, it's all about ever-expanding control. They want to control every aspect of people's life from cradle to grave.

One of the aspects of American life that drives communists absolutely bonkers is how easy it is for the people to move around. The whole idea of the 15-minute city is to keep the population hemmed in to local areas. In their communist dream world, every, single person would live in government housing, taking the government bus to their government job every day. Every city needs to be City 17.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:29:38 AM EDT
[#38]
Governments come out with these requirements, they quickly and quietly disappear from the public eye. Then a few years later car makers come out with "driver awareness" that will "slow or safely bring your car to a stop in the event of an emergency such as a medical emergency" and everyone celebrates
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:30:34 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By OscarD:
Starting next model year we get mandatory DUI detection equipment in vehicles. It’s not like we’re really any better off.

I’m just going to keep my “old 2018” and pass on the electronic nanny BS.
View Quote

Eventually, OBD2 retrofit devices will be mandated for all the government regulation.  No OBD2 retrofit device, no operating your car. After a couple years of that, I can say it will be likely there will be a "cash for clunkers" with a stipend for turning in old cars to be crushed. A short time later, any car caught on the road without government  devices will be confiscated and crushed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:34:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By Mach:
uses a camera and GPS mapping...huummmm

So what happens if the camera sees no speed limit signs and you are in a canyon and the GPS doesn't have a signal?

or maybe the camera doesn't see anything at all because of the spray paint on the lens and the GPS for some crazy reason doesn't get a fix because the antenna is being blocked by aluminum tape?

asking for a friend.
View Quote

Car probably just stops dead and refuses to work until towed to an authorized service center for repair of these critical systems
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:37:11 AM EDT
[#41]
Our POS Ram Promaster vans at work annoyingly flash an icon on the dash display about your speed. It's especially annoying because if you come off a 30 mph dirt road onto a 50 or 55 mph (state speed limit vt/ny unless posted otherwise)

It goes bezerk for miles thinking you're still in a 30mph
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:40:16 AM EDT
[#42]

View Quote

The speed tax.  Govt doesn't want forfeit extra tax monies.  Instead they’ll just require you to register a bank account with vehicle reg so they can just withdraw whenever the vehicle says you’re speeding.  

Some rental car company tried that claiming wear n’ tear.  Courts slapped them saying a private entity can’t take it upon themselves to ‘fine’ people breaking the law.  I’m sure that gave some govt people a light bulb moment.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:17:02 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BB] [#43]
If these systems are already installed and existing cars, and we already have forward facing cameras, why can’t they do something useful with them like provide OEM dash cam function?

Also in before car software jailbreaks and open source car OS/systems management software
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:22:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Keekleberrys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPKGbg16ulU
View Quote
After watching the  Caprica series Adama was right.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:30:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Originally Posted By Scott-S6:

Passing doesn't allow you to break the speed limit, you can still get a ticket for that. But yes. What could go wrong?
View Quote

You were the one reminding the teacher she forgot to assign homework, right?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:31:17 AM EDT
[#46]
My car has the speed limit sign reading technology now, but it falsely alerts me when I pass a school zone with a reduced speed during non-school hours. It thinks the speed drops to 20mph all the time. I wonder how they'll combat this.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By CarlosC:
My car has the speed limit sign reading technology now, but it falsely alerts me when I pass a school zone with a reduced speed during non-school hours. It thinks the speed drops to 20mph all the time. I wonder how they'll combat this.
View Quote

They won't.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:32:47 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By BB:
If these systems are already installed and existing cars, and we already have forward facing cameras, why can’t they do something useful with them like provide OEM dash cam function?

Also in before car software jailbreaks and open source car OS/systems management software
View Quote

With current hardware it can’t be done due to lack of any sort of storage. But that’s easier to fix.

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:47:52 AM EDT
[#49]

View Quote

They’ll just raise taxes to make up the difference.   Then maybe cops can do cop stuff and not hall monitor stuff. That being said, I do despise excessive speeders and bad drivers.  Sometimes those hall monitors are necessary because people can be assholes.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 8:51:19 AM EDT
[#50]
View Quote

Yes, i have heard this as well.
Im not for it but there have been at least 3 fatal crashes in my AO in the past week that were in excess of 100 mph.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top