Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/23/2024 9:20:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: urbanredneck]

I was warned that this panel is a fire hazard by an inspector. The lower right breaker was added as a main cut-off for a generator connection. House was built around '79. Inspector said....150 going into a 60 amp could overload if you are using everything in the kitchen. There was a suggestion that the panel needed a main cut-off to fix the problem.

Sent the pic to my future SIL (does electric) who came back with....it's safe. That the panel is a split panel and feeding he lower that way is fine. The only other issue was to add another breaker fix the one with 2 lines going into it. Even my SIL had to ask a co-worker bc he had never seen that.

So, again, like I'm 5.....opinions.

And just to add...I believe the gray pvc on the bottom left is the generator line coming in
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:28:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#1]
Your explanation is very confusing. Is this a main house panel? Subpanel? (after the main panel).

What is the red circle on the left?

I see some issues but there isn’t enough info to really know for certain.

Actually, the more I look at your pic the more I think WTF.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:30:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Not an electrician, but not having a main cutoff and not having mechanical interlock for the generator feed would be my first two concerns.

The double tapping of one breaker would be the third and easiest concern to address.

The lockout is needed to insure that there is no possible way for the panel to have both the mains feed and the generator feed ON at the same time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:36:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: ColtRifle] [#3]
Had to do a little research. That split panel was not uncommon for that era of house but was a horrible design and no longer used. Personally, I’d rip it out and install a modern panel correctly if that was my house.

And, I see they ran two wires to the red circle breaker because they were out of 120v breaker slots.

Definitely junk the whole thing and do it right. That’s the only way I would fix it.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:39:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: erazor55] [#4]
I have this same type of panel/wiring.  I began contemplating adding my generator in the same way.  Isolating the house from power company by opening up the ganged breakers.

I just don't have the multitude of different colored wires.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I could use advice on mine as well.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 9:40:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:
Had to do a little research. That split panel was not uncommon for that era of house but was a horrible design and no longer used. Personally, I'd rip it out and install a modern panel correctly if that was my house.

And, I see they ran two wires to the red circle breaker because they were out of 120v breaker slots.

Definitely junk the whole thing and do it right. That's the only way I would fix it.
View Quote
This right here ^^^

you will have problems down the road.  

I am also a master electrician from Texas
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 11:22:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#6]
Originally Posted By Delta:
This right here ^^^

View Quote

I agree.  ME retired here.  Yeah it works for a genset tie in, and meets no code anywhere.  That panel is obsolete…

Yikes, that looks like the 120 legs are jumped.

Replace and set up a properly done generator tie in.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 1:31:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

I agree.  ME retired here.  Yeah it works for a genset tie in, and meets no code anywhere.  That panel is obsolete…

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DVCER:
Originally Posted By Delta:
This right here ^^^

Also, don't use the generator input until it's fixed.  You'll kill a lineman like that.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 5:09:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zeekh] [#8]
I'd go with replace the panel also. I can't quite see the ground wire, is it right next to the neutral? Neutral and ground are not supposed to be bonded at a subpanel.

As for the generator connection, Im a fan of a transfer swich. You can wire each cicuit seperately so you can pick and choose what circuits are powered during an outage. Of course its not automatic.
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By erazor55:
I have this same type of panel/wiring.  I began contemplating adding my generator in the same way.  Isolating the house from power company by opening up the ganged breakers.

I just don't have the multitude of different colored wires.

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I could use advice on mine as well.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/483794/Panel_JPG-3302170.JPG
View Quote

Once again, I'd use a generator transfer switch. Keeps lineman safe with no chance of back feed.

type Status report

description Access to the specified resource has been forbidden.

Apache Tomcat/7.0.68 (Ubuntu)

" target="_blank">I have something like this

Link Posted: 8/23/2024 5:28:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MisterPX] [#10]
Biggest thing that catches my eye on both pics, is no main breaker.

ETA: the more I look, the more I get googly moogly eyes; so many redundant loops.  Did the contractor get paid by the foot?
Link Posted: 8/23/2024 5:41:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I would be somewhat concerned about this BLACK WIRE on the neutral bar.

Link Posted: 8/23/2024 6:25:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: FALARAK] [#12]
It is unsafe.

1.  Any split bus panel should be replaced IMHO, just due to age.  It is over 40 years old, and past the service life.

2.  You do not have a main service disconnect, but this is not a sub panel.  They do not make them like this anymore.  For a reason.

3.  Your generator is unsafe.  You do not have a physical locking mechanism for the generator to ensure that when the generator is connected, the incoming line is disconnected.  This configuration will kill people, or blow up your generator, if you make one small mistake.

4.  Your off-color wires are not taped.

5.  You have double tapped a breaker that does not support multiple conductors, and no place to move it to.  This needs to be pigtailed with a low amperage circuit if possible.

6.  You have a black wire in the neutral bus bar.  Black wires of that size cannot be re-identified.

The good news is, you have a LOT of extra wire in that panel, so replacing it with a decent 24 or 30 space panel will be very simple.  Get one with a service disconnect rated for your service amperage, or consider upgrading the home to 200 amp service at that time.  Get an interlock kit for your generator, and consider upgrading to a 50 amp generator inlet, from your 30 amp, for future proofing.

NOT an electrician.
Link Posted: 8/24/2024 8:10:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:
Not an electrician, but not having a main cutoff and not having mechanical interlock for the generator feed would be my first two concerns.

The double tapping of one breaker would be the third and easiest concern to address.

The lockout is needed to insure that there is no possible way for the panel to have both the mains feed and the generator feed ON at the same time.
View Quote

I agree with this
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top