Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Elon Musk's Twitter/X. (Page 125 of 281)
Page / 281
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 7:37:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By macros73:
Is this going to work out the way Musk thinks it will?

When you fire that many people that fast, in many cases the people who are retained aren't going to be the top producers or even the average producers. They're going to be the people with the best internal connections as everyone from the top down circles the wagons and tries to weather what they see as a hostile takeover. This can happen during normal times as well, but under times of high stress even worse and more selfish decisions will have been made. No one's going to make their Elon-mandated firing list based on what's best for Twitter's growth.

There are also the external repercussions: between the purchase and the mass layoffs, all of Twitter's major customers are going to reassess whether Twitter is still worth the marketing spend. If they reduce spend on Twitter, it's not like those companies will reduce the prices they charge their own customers. They'll just reallocate the spend to other marketing companies.

I would rather have seen Musk spend the time and energy on either improving Tesla/SpaceX, or on a new energy generation company focused on bringing back nuclear power generation, maybe at the neighborhood or town level with small-scale generation plants.

It's his money to burn. I guess we can't expect one person to revolutionize more than two industries in their lifetime.

View Quote
I'm betting an AI ran through all of the internal chats and emails. Having lived through similar layoffs in a different industry I think musk probably made the right call.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 7:46:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By WildBoar:
So Biden publicly slammed him and Twitter. Does Elon have anything legal he can do in response?
View Quote

he could shut down biden's account, the precedent has already been set
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 7:58:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: giantpune] [#3]

I dont have the twitter app.  I just use the website.  Is there a place to go yet to buy the $8 blue checkmark?  
I will sure as shit buy one to help support elon and to bust the balls of the people who thought the blue checkmark made them special.

On the website, I see an option to sign up for "twitter blue" for $4.99.  I don't think thats the same as the blue checkmark.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:21:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Fourays2:

he could shut down biden's account, the precedent has already been set
View Quote
This right here. Potato is spreading disinformation.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:
Would it be worthwhile to remove the ability to delete tweets? If you post BS and get called on it, it should remain out there for the world to see.
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:26:03 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By RV8guy:
Would it be worthwhile to remove the ability to delete tweets?
View Quote

I don't think so, but I don't use Twitter like a lot of you guys apparently do. (I only engage with musicians and streamers, never anything remotely political.)

The ability to edit would be best for the cases I have dealt with - somewhere where you have a typo you only notice 2 min after posting, or where you realize you forgot a link or something. Being able to just fix the mistake rather than delete-and-redo would be nice.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:29:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By giantpune:
On the website, I see an option to sign up for "twitter blue" for $4.99.  I don't think thats the same as the blue checkmark.
View Quote

It sounds like Musk is merging the two.

On the subject, the thing I've seen about many more "normal" people I know expressing concern about the "charge for verification" thing is that they think that's all it is. That it just lets people know it is the official account of a public or semi-public figure, and that it does not afford any additional privileges. Of course, as we've seen, that's not the case. I too would complain about charging a subscription for pure verification, with no further benefits (aside from possibly something like a report feature for impersonators). Though a one-time fee for verification I do say would be fair.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:35:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Walkure:

I don't think so, but I don't use Twitter like a lot of you guys apparently do. (I only engage with musicians and streamers, never anything remotely political.)

The ability to edit would be best for the cases I have dealt with - somewhere where you have a typo you only notice 2 min after posting, or where you realize you forgot a link or something. Being able to just fix the mistake rather than delete-and-redo would be nice.
View Quote

People delete tweets all the time out of sheer embarrassment.  It's usually a libtard that posts the most stupid asinine thing you could possibly think of.  So many people reply to their tweet that in order to stop the deluge of mentions popping up in their feed, they delete the tweet.  It happens a lot.....
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:41:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By AJ-IN-JAX:
So now that anyone can pay $8 to get a blue check, how is that going to prevent people from just paying $8 and making fake accounts?
View Quote

Who cares they made $8 but theya are probably going to verify identity or being a real person or something.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:43:25 PM EDT
[#10]

Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:45:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I will most likely do one month at $8 just to thank Musk for making the field more playable and fair along with exposing the corruption.  My $8 won't be a drop in the sea but I feel it is a fair thank you.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:47:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#12]
Originally Posted By RSG:

View Quote

Ron Perlman ... Who?

Any relation to:

Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By LurkerII:
Ron Perlman ... Who?
View Quote

that ugly motherfucker
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:52:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LurkerII] [#14]
Originally Posted By Cossa:

that ugly motherfucker
View Quote

Yep, ugly motherfucker... I had to google him. Is this his claim to fame?   Wow, not impressed.

Link Posted: 11/5/2022 8:58:19 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote

Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:08:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Nexttime:
People delete tweets all the time out of sheer embarrassment.  It's usually a libtard that posts the most stupid asinine thing you could possibly think of.  So many people reply to their tweet that in order to stop the deluge of mentions popping up in their feed, they delete the tweet.  It happens a lot.....
View Quote

I understand that, I am just saying that I feel there is a legitimate need for at least time-limited deletion if there isn't an edit function.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#17]

I understand that, I am just saying that I feel there is a legitimate need for at least time-limited deletion if there isn't an edit function.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Nexttime:

A penny for every view, a dollar for every reply or re-tweet.
Link Posted: 11/5/2022 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Crazy Days and Nights...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 11/5/2022 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#19]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 1:38:48 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 2:14:09 AM EDT
[#21]
This was interesting. Youtube competitor? A credible one is needed bad enough.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 2:15:55 AM EDT
[#22]
Apparently Twitter employees were taking kickbacks to give blue checks? $15k haha

https://twitter.com/WSBChairman/status/1588973918379200512?t=jHFzvC-iIiKI7uUjBfjXEg&s=19

Elon confirmed.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 5:32:59 AM EDT
[#23]
Even more interesting.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 6:34:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Spade:

Yeah, but their also still required to follow Twitter policies.

So all the ones tweeting in anger are probably violating the CoC and can be now fired for cause.
View Quote
Hopefully with a "you have violated our community standards" email.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 6:44:45 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

Ron...buddy...don't you have some probie's girlfriend to be banging under your wife's nose?
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 6:52:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By David0858:
Even more interesting.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/14727/20221106_032915_JPG-2589503.JPG
View Quote

A real YouTube alternative? I'm in.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#27]
So now that anyone can pay $8 to get a blue check, how is that going to prevent people from just paying $8 and making fake accounts?
View All Quotes

Making 1000 spam bots gets very expensive at 8$ a pop.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 7:57:10 AM EDT
[#28]

When you fire that many people that fast, in many cases the people who are retained aren't going to be the top producers or even the average producers. They're going to be the people with the best internal connections as everyone from the top down circles the wagons and tries to weather what they see as a hostile takeover. This can happen during normal times as well, but under times of high stress even worse and more selfish decisions will have been made. No one's going to make their Elon-mandated firing list based on what's best for Twitter's growth.

There are also the external repercussions: between the purchase and the mass layoffs, all of Twitter's major customers are going to reassess whether Twitter is still worth the marketing spend. If they reduce spend on Twitter, it's not like those companies will reduce the prices they charge their own customers. They'll just reallocate the spend to other marketing companies.

I would rather have seen Musk spend the time and energy on either improving Tesla/SpaceX, or on a new energy generation company focused on bringing back nuclear power generation, maybe at the neighborhood or town level with small-scale generation plants.

It's his money to burn. I guess we can't expect one person to revolutionize more than two industries in their lifetime.

View Quote

you seem

concerned

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:01:02 AM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By RTOinIraq:

View Quote

Yep

Espeacially if they don't censor and demonetize the Pew Tuber crowd.  

Mr. Guns and Gear, Backfire, Garand Thumb, and Ultimate Reloader all have huge followings and are constantly being demonetized and losing their channels for nothing but being popped by YouTube for being gun channels.  

I can see a mass exodus by Pew Tubers to Twitter in the near future.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:02:19 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By spidey07:
I remind people that it’s not been 8 days since musk took over.

And look at what is being exposed. And the left is losing their fucking minds.

It’s glorious.

The fucking White House posted a tweet and got fact checked RE SS benefits increasing thanks to Biden leadership.

BOOM!!!!  Lies exposed, truth revealed.  White House removes tweet.

Twitter is THE source for information and “news”, whether you like it or not.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:18:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Yobro512:

I meant people making fake account pretending to be other real people.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:21:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#32]
I meant people making fake account pretending to be other real people.
View Quote

If payment is made via the phone app, then fake accounts will be hard to make.  It will prevent a lot of computer based account creation.  Phones are VERY individual and will be almost foolproof.  If he allows account creation for a computer then he could have some challenges.

One account one phone, it would crazy expensive for bots and fakes to pop up.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 8:52:14 AM EDT
[#33]
Originally Posted By N1150x:
I'm betting an AI ran through all of the internal chats and emails. Having lived through similar layoffs in a different industry I think musk probably made the right call.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By N1150x:

I'd imagine he made decisions based largely off of performance metrics, and verifiable by checks on the data from more than one source (individual preparing the report).
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:05:52 AM EDT
[#34]
Will I still be able to view videos in tweets from the tweets posted in arfcom that link to Twitter?
Does that make sense?
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:12:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Originally Posted By zach_:
Will I still be able to view videos in tweets from the tweets posted in arfcom that link to Twitter?
Does that make sense?
View Quote

Most likely it will appear as they do now. A link within the Twitter post. We don't see pictures or media at all, only code.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:34:36 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By RattleCanAR:

If payment is made via the phone app, then fake accounts will be hard to make.  It will prevent a lot of computer based account creation.  Phones are VERY individual and will be almost foolproof.  If he allows account creation for a computer then he could have some challenges.

One account one phone, it would crazy expensive for bots and fakes to pop up.
View Quote

Remember those accounts (bots) that make the same word for word statement about events? I would think that would be easier from a PC than a phone. Those have to be operated by bot farms in different areas.

DNC: "Hey, here's what we want you to say about this subject on Twitter. Be sure to change it up a bit for each account"

Bot farmers around the world: "Fuck all that" (copy pastes statement given into each account).
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:35:36 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#38]

Yep

Mr. Guns and Gear, Backfire, Garand Thumb, and Ultimate Reloader all have huge followings and are constantly being demonetized and losing their channels for nothing but being popped by YouTube for being gun channels.  

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By RTOinIraq:

Yep

The big thing is the massive PITA it is to get anything they deem controversial monetized. Each video has to undergo manual review, which I have one going on 4 days now. 4 days....
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:40:53 AM EDT
[#39]
View Quote

Mastodon is fine for smaller communities but they will come back to Twitter when they realize no one is reading their shit.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By JarheadPatriot:
A passive stake .. doesn't sound like he can do anything.
View Quote

This post didn't age well.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:49:31 AM EDT
[#41]

Most likely it will appear as they do now. A link within the Twitter post. We don't see pictures or media at all, only code.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zach_:
Does that make sense?

Will I be able to view the video though? I created an account there because I was not able to see the war videos in the tweets without an account.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:51:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

Mastodon is fine for smaller communities but they will come back to Twitter when they realize no one is reading their shit.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Rebel31:

Yup.

I think the whole purpose to the leftists for twitter is to just gaslight the vast majority into thinking they are wrong and actually in the minority in opposing gender surgery for teens, communism and so on. Censoring normal people and real facts.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 9:59:49 AM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:30:12 AM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By AK-12:

Don't ever stop preaching the gospel of thyccc cheeks.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AK-12:
Originally Posted By midcap:

Yep

Don't ever stop preaching the gospel of thyccc cheeks.

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:31:43 AM EDT
[#45]

Most all of the Indian off shore was fired. Solved that problem.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By J_Von_Random:

They sorted the firing list by code contributions.

No one useful got fired.

That's an interesting approach. Hopefully it was more than just lines of code committed. It risks weighing quantity over quality. I hope they took into account defect rates, utility added, and difficulty of problem being solved by the code and didn't keep a bunch of keyboard pounders.

Most all of the Indian off shore was fired. Solved that problem.

true dat
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:35:11 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By PointBlank82:
Apparently Twitter employees were taking kickbacks to give blue checks? $15k haha

https://twitter.com/WSBChairman/status/1588973918379200512?t=jHFzvC-iIiKI7uUjBfjXEg&s=19

Elon confirmed.
View Quote

disgusting.
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#47]
If Twitter gets in the YouTube game,

Rumble is toast.

Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#48]
View Quote

Those lefty scientist are probably degenerates anyway
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:43:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By LawyerUp:

The big thing is the massive PITA it is to get anything they deem controversial monetized. Each video has to undergo manual review, which I have one going on 4 days now. 4 days....
View Quote

On Twitter there is no monetization, yet.  So, when you upload a video with expected monetization you are put on hold?  How do the pew tubers do live streams and premiers?  

What is so controversial about your video?
Link Posted: 11/6/2022 10:45:59 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RattleCanAR] [#50]
Originally Posted By mochaTX:
If Twitter gets in the YouTube game,

Rumble is toast.

View Quote

Yep

Now if Twitter partners with Rumble vs writing their own code it could be a win for both.  Partnering with Rumble would be a quicker and easier way to get it going.

I did a test.  You can embed Rumble videos into Twitter now.  Hmmmm...  This site doesn't show the embedded video when you do a Twitter post but it is there.  

Page / 281
Elon Musk's Twitter/X. (Page 125 of 281)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top