Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/30/2022 1:08:19 PM EDT
FINAL UPDATE:  It all came down to a single word!! I had to change the name of the file from what it was to "firmware.bin".  Once I did that, I put the SD card in and the screen was still blue....fuck!!!....then 2-3 seconds later I got the dragon and everything was functioning perfectly.  I have to say, so far I'm seriously impressed with this new board.  SILENT!! Only sound is the fan which is next to nothing.  I should be able to run this thing 24/7 whether I'm working or not.

OLDER INFO: Just going to take a wild guess that I'm going to keep chasing issues with this attempt to update my Ender 3 Pro to a 4.2.7 board.  So please read the line directly under this one to see what the current issue I'm having is.....

EDIT 1:  So I installed the new board, downloaded Marlin2.0.1- V1.0.1 - TMC2225- English on to a micro SD card and inserted it, then reconnected the power cable and turned the machine on.  Fans can be heard running, blank/blue screen turns on, but there is no text or anything on the screen.  Just a blank blue screen with no dragon or text.  

Did I plug something in wrong?  Does the firmware take a certain amount of time to install itself?  What should I do here??

Thanks!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Your new board is different than what is show at Creatlity's website?

https://www.creality3dofficial.com/products/creality-silent-mainboard-v4-2-7

And info on if the new board is quieter. I have an ender 3v2.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 2:08:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your new board is different than what is show at Creatlity's website?

https://www.creality3dofficial.com/products/creality-silent-mainboard-v4-2-7

And info on if the new board is quieter. I have an ender 3v2.
View Quote

What receptacle on the 4.2.7 is for the fan attached to the motherboard box cover?
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 2:09:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Dupe
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 2:35:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Kind of have to know what board your going from, not just what your going to.

From the prior link.

Best guess as your issue, V1.1.4 They were "Fan" and "Fan1" now they have "K-Fan1" and "K-Fan2". Assumeing they maintained the same order Fan will be K-Fan1 and Fan1 will be K-Fan2. Worst case your going to notice that the two fans are swapped when you boot it up and need to switch them.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 4:19:40 PM EDT
[#5]
See edit 1 for next issue I'm having.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 5:52:24 PM EDT
[#6]
If you read the SD card in a pc, was the firmware file extension changed from .bin to .cur? If you connect the printer to a pc via usb, can you connect (is a serial port found)?  If no to both, board may be doa.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 5:55:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
If you read the SD card in a pc, was the firmware file extension changed from .bin to .cur? If you connect the printer to a pc via usb, can you connect (is a serial port found)?
View Quote

@nikdfish

Nosir, it says "File Type BIN"

How do I change it over to .cur?  

I can try to find an old USB plug that might let me direct connect.  What do I do once connected??

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 6:02:28 PM EDT
[#8]
When a firmware update occurs, the board changes the file extension so it doesn't do an update every time the card is read. If the change does not hapoen, the update did not happen. Double check you are using the expected file name for a firmware update. Not sure what your board is looking for.

USB connection should be possible if the board is OK. Not sure if that board would allow a USB firmware update.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When a firmware update occurs, the board changes the file extension so it doesn't do an update every time the card is read. If the change does not hapoen, the update did not happen. Double check you are using the expected file name for a firmware update. Not sure what your board is looking for.

USB connection should be possible if the board is OK. Not sure if that board would allow a USB firmware update.
View Quote

So I shouldn't need to change the file type?  

I've compared the file name and type with every update/upgrade video I can find.  It seems to be correct.  Hopefully someone who has the exact printer I have AND has done the 4.2.7 upgrade AND got the blue screen of death.....will chime in.  By all accounts, it's something little that I'm doing wrong.  I say that because the printer worked perfectly before I installed the new board.  I double checked the connections and they are all installed as they should be, and the screen still turns on (fully blue) and the larger fan attached to the nozzle is running.  

Thanks anyway.

EDIT:  I did find a USB to USB mini cable and plugged it in the printer then plugged the other end into my laptop.  It beeps like it recognizes that something's been shoved into the USB port.  But it doesn't open any folder and I can't figure out how to manually access the printer.  

Thoughts?  

Is this THAT complex/foreign of an issue??

EDIT2: Printer has been on with the formatted Micro SD card with what seems to be the correct file installed on it for about 20mins. now.  Nothing!!
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 7:41:47 PM EDT
[#10]
This is why Prusa fans are Prusa fans. Among other reasons.

Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not following you.

...and still stuck with a blue screen over here.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:54:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Not following you.

View Quote

People that have Prusa printers...really like them.

None of this silliness is ever necessary with them. They just work. Right out of the box. They are boringly reliable.

In fact...my Orange MK3S+ will turn 7,000 hours right around midnight on New Year's day.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 8:59:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

None of this silliness is ever necessary with them. They just work. Right out of the box. They are boringly reliable.

In fact...my Orange MK3S+ will turn 7,000 hours right around midnight on New Year's day.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not following you.

Until this little fiasco, my printer was working great! Never an issue with it that wasn't my fault and I'm thinking this one is my fault.  All I wanted was for it to be quieter.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 9:30:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

Please explain to us how this comment helps the OP get the right firmware on his new board.

OP, what are you using for a guide to update your board?
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 9:39:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything I see when searching takes me back to the exact same file.  It's downloadable from a few different sites but it's identical on all of them.  This is why I'm so stumped.  I've tried different SD cards, different sites (despite it being the same file), leaving the printer on for 30+ mins just to see if it'd download itself and the dragon would come back on the screen.  Nothing is working.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Is the firmware you're using for the original non color screen?

Firmware only works each with ONE screen. You may have color screen firmware.

If you are going to be customizing boards/drivers/abl/etc you will need to learn to compile Marlin firmware, or run Klipper.

It's not super difficult once you understand the process but has a steep learning curve. But you can literally write firmware to your liking after that.
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 10:12:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Is the firmware you're using for the original non color screen?

Firmware only works each with ONE screen. You may have color screen firmware.

If you are going to be customizing boards/drivers/abl/etc you will need to learn to compile Marlin firmware, or run Klipper.

It's not super difficult once you understand the process but has a steep learning curve. But you can literally write firmware to your liking after that.
View Quote

I don't see a differentiation between color and non color.  If it would help I can show pics of the files I'm seeing.  Maybe I keep using the wrong one?
Link Posted: 12/30/2022 11:50:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I kept watching vids and while it didn't pertain to my specific model or upgrade, someone made mention that I had to change the file name to "firmware.bin" or else the printer wouldn't recognize it.  That was no where anywhere that I'd seen before.  Glad I got it figured out.  Ruger 5 piece stock is first up to test this puppy out!
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:06:12 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I kept watching vids and while it didn't pertain to my specific model or upgrade, someone made mention that I had to change the file name to "firmware.bin" or else the printer wouldn't recognize it.  That was no where anywhere that I'd seen before.  Glad I got it figured out.  Ruger 5 piece stock is first up to test this puppy out!
View Quote

What stock are you printing, I'm trying to find one I like for a 10/22?

My Ender 5 pro came with the silent board, but I could never flash a new firmware even when named firmware.bin. Just bought a new control board for it. SKR Mini 3.0 V2 and now run klipper on it.

I'll never go back to Marlin after using Klipper.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 12:13:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

My Ender 5 pro came with the silent board, but I could never flash a new firmware even when named firmware.bin. Just bought a new control board for it. SKR Mini 3.0 V2 and now run klipper on it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one.

What did you not like about Marlin?  So far, the printer is printing beautifully and totally quiet, so I'm happy.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:04:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

This one.

What did you not like about Marlin?  So far, the printer is printing beautifully and totally quiet, so I'm happy.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

This one.

Here's what I don't like about Marlin. If you make a minor change to the firmware it requires you to recompile the firmware and flash your board. Marlin runs on the board so it's using all the processing power running the Gcode. Creality silent boards can't do linear advance (pressure advance). Linear advance is what gets you nice rounded corners on square objects. If a stepper motor is operating backwards either reflash the firmware or have to swap the wires.

Klipper requires a Raspberry PI (can use a Raspberry Pi 2W $15 before crazy chip shortages). The Raspberry Pi does all the hard work and just sends commands to the printer board. You can send files wirelessly to your printer or send directly from the slicer to the printer. Firmware changes are easy and just have to restart Klipper to make the changes. If a stepper motor is backwards just put a ! on the direction pin for the driver in Klipper and restart Klipper. You can also run pressure advance using your original Creality board since now the Raspberry Pi is doing the calculations.  Then there's input shaping where you mount a cheap accelerometer on your printer and it runs a frequency test to find the frequency that affects your printer (ringing). This allows you to print faster with the same quality as before. I'm about to upgrade my printer and will need 3 Z axis motors. I'll need motor drivers, with Klipper I can just add on another board as a secondary MCU to get extra stepper motor drivers.

It's a little involved flashing Klipper to the stock board, but not too bad once you do it once. Biggest tip I can give is after you flash Klipper to the Raspberry Pi update everything then compile Klipper to run on your board. With the Creality boards it won't flash over usb so you have to pull the firmware file off the Raspberry Pi then flash the board like you normally do using the sd card.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 2:43:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Marlin works. Klipper is a pile of garbage.
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:10:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Marlin works. Klipper is a pile of garbage.
View Quote

Ok, ok...before the purse swinging starts what we should be focusing on is the fact that not one person in this entire brain trust knew to suggest changing the filename to "firmware.bin".  We saw suggestions ranging from not sure to buy a $1k printer....but not one that knew the super secret password!!!

Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:13:41 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Ok, ok...before the purse swinging starts what we should be focusing on is the fact that not one person in this entire brain trust knew to suggest changing the filename to "firmware.bin".  We saw suggestions ranging from not sure to buy a $1k printer....but not one that knew the super secret password!!!

View Quote

To be fair, I thought you were already ensuring you named the file correctly. That's Marlin 101. Literally EVERY tutorial mentions it.

You watch tutorials, right?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:20:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

To be fair, I thought you were already ensuring you named the file correctly. That's Marlin 101. Literally EVERY tutorial mentions it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not sure what you mean by "tutorials".  I watched at least a dozen different vids trying to show and explain how to install the board and firmware but it wasn't until late last night that one of the vids mentioned the file re-name.  Where else would I have seen that maybe on Creality's website in the way of a "tutorial"?
Link Posted: 12/31/2022 3:53:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

Sorry.

When I had the Creality version of the BL Touch I ran the appropriate firmware build that I downloaded directly from Creality. I never could get the probe to work correctly so I ended going back to to manual bed leveling and giving the probe to -Obsessed-. I'm now running a version of marlin that I downloaded from TH3D. The file is just named firmware.bin on the SD card.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top